Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Olympus?

jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
Seems to me that this is Olympus.

The early screenshots of Olympus line up almost exactly with The Sims Mobile.

The blue Plumbobs for online players, the "Play Together" tag line, the camera angles, the UI placement.
Even the point systems from Olympus look like they are carried over.

And while this seems like a stripped down Sims 4 port, it wasn't done overnight either.
Considering it doesn't seem? to have Toddlers, I'd say this has been in the pipeline for years.

SIMSVIP also picked up on it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p51vCBT0wV8
Post edited by jackjack_k on

Comments

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Im pretty sure it has toddlers. I don't know if it's fair to say this is Olympus (we all know that became Sims 4) this is a Sims 4 port that was designed to play like Freeplay. The leftover coding for Olympus did probably make the process of adding social/multiplayer features back in.

This mobile game gives us a good idea of what Maxis planned for The Sims 4 as an online game though.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited May 2017
    Weren't you constantly preaching Olympus was dead/fake? :lol:

Anyway, I saw surveys of a mobile Sims game posted in TS3's forum back in 2014, so I'd say it started around then.

nUUfIF5.png
    edited May 2017
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Anyway, I saw surveys of a mobile Sims game posted in TS3's forum back in 2014, so I'd say it started around then.

nUUfIF5.png

He/She always spews whatever nonsense fits their agenda. The mobile game was announced less than 12 hours ago, and they're already trying to make crazy claims to discredit Olympus becoming Sims 4.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited May 2017
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »

nUUfIF5.png

Not fake, but a separate project entirely to The Sims 4, in which this game seems pretty much confirmation.

That IS interesting, though. Pretty much says to me that they shelved Olympus in 2012 (apparently) to finish the Sims 4, and got straight back to work.
    jackjack_k wrote: »

nUUfIF5.png

Not fake, but a separate project entirely to The Sims 4, in which this game seems pretty much confirmation.

Oh really?? So they developed this mobile game for longer than they developed the actual Sims 4?? They also just so happened to rip content directly from the PC game and it's DLC?? Really?? On an entirely separate project that's been in development since 2008? For 9 years?

Do you even understand how you sound right now? Stop with that.
    edited May 2017

nUUfIF5.png

He/She always spews whatever nonsense fits their agenda. The
    mobile game was announced less than 12 hours ago, and they're already trying to make crazy claims to discredit Olympus becoming Sims 4.

She, thanks.

And you don't? You never provide a single source to anything, while I always have.

And there's countless simulaties to Olympus, more than The Sims 4 ever had.
    Infact, people only assumed because Olympus "looks like The Sims 4" but this also looks like The Sims 4.

How can you not see how it looks almost the same?

TSM_IOS_EN_2208x1242_CBScreen04-470x313.jpg
    8640860269_d930457d10_o.png
    edited May 2017
    Or you know, the UI dude who said pretty explicitly that EA was developing TS4 as an online game until 2012 and then made it offline.

Or how about the people who listed 'The Sims 4 when it was an internet based game' on their portfolios?

The assets found in the Olympus mock-ups that we got in Sims 4 base game.

What exactly does this game have in common with Olympus? The social aspect? Yeah, that existed in Sims 4 too at one point which more than likely made it easier to add back into the mobile port. The sim design? That's what you'd be looking at in an internet based Sims game.

If you think EA would develop a mobile F2P game for 4 years, and then shelve it for an additional three you are just wrong. The job listings for this mobile game appeared not too long after the base game came out, if anything they didn't start working on it until 2015.

ETA:@jackjack_k I have plenty of times. You haven't, unless you count the last time which you linked to an article that was totally irrelevant to your words.

Give me another minute and I will provide the same mega Olumpus info link as I have plenty of times in the past.

ETA:
    http://honeywellsims4news.tumblr.com/post/63437610043/more-corroboration-for-patrick-kelly-the-sims-4

There you will find a compilation of info pertaining to Olympus. It is not rampant spefulation there. If you read that over and still come to the same assumptions you're at now then I don't know what else to tell you. You're in denial too deep for help.
    Or you know, the UI dude who said pretty explicitly that EA was developing TS4 as an online game until 2012 and then made it offline.

Or how about the people who listed 'The Sims 4 when it was an internet based game' on their portfolios?

The assets found in the Olympus mock-ups that we got in Sims 4 base game.

What exactly does this game have in common with Olympus? The social aspect? Yeah, that existed in Sims 4 too at one point which more than likely made it easier to add back into the mobile port. The sim design? That's what you'd be looking at in an internet based Sims game.

If you think EA would develop a mobile F2P game for 4 years, and then shelve it for an additional three you are just wrong. The job listings for this mobile game appeared not too long after the base game came out, if anything they didn't start working on it until 2015.

@jackjack_k I have plenty of times. You haven't, unless you count the last time which you linked to an article that was totally irrelevant to your words.

Give me another minute and I will provide the same mega Olumpus info link as I have plenty of times in the past.

"Or you know, the UI dude who said pretty explicitly that EA was developing TS4 as an online game until 2012 and then made it offline"

But he didn't say that. He was specifically asked how they turn an online multiplayer game into an offline one, and he said that didn't happen.

Source?

The fact that's an online, multiplayer game? Like...

They probably shelved it, and started again. Patrick Kelly did state it was for a "variety of platforms" so at one point it may have been for PC.

• HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    I don't think this is Olympus exactly, because the timeline would not add up.

I do have to say that I'm not at all surprised to see a mobile version of the game come out, though. It actually took them a lot longer than I expected considering that they said in an article shortly before the game came out that they'd like to have mobile tie-ins. That's not a direct quote, but they gave examples like being able to advance your sim's career on your mobile platform and then somehow that progress will be transferred to the PC game. Considering that's right in line with EA's stated goal of allowing players to play a game on whatever device they have access to at any given time, I would not be at all surprised. So I guess we'll see if there end up being any tie-ins with the PC game.

BTW, I doubt that arguing with jackjack_k is going to change her mind considering she's never let a little thing like logical thinking and analysis get in the way of her beliefs before. So why start now? :D;)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Given the screenshot I have shown above of my previous forum post from 2014, I think Olympus was intended to be multiplayer and The Sims 4 itself, but after SimCity, they either salvaged that into TS4 or they split the project into two.

Given the ex head of Maxis was someone with extensive mobile development, something we have all known for years now, I would say what we are seeing now has been in the works for awhile.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

nUUfIF5.png

That IS interesting, though. Pretty much says to me that they shelved Olympus in 2012 (apparently) to finish the Sims 4, and got straight back to work.

Maybe this mobile game is Icarus as one was to be an MMO Olympus on tablet, and Icarus on phones. :p Then you could update your game from your phone versions. Either way, it's clear they want to push that mobile online stuff when no one I know was screaming for a new phone game. But I guess their surveys and focus groups told them otherwise.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Oh he didn't???

" I only have knowledge of how TS4 looked up until early 2012 when it was still an online multiplayer game."

barely scrolled through the page and what would you know? Funny thing, there are several other instances where he also references The Sims 4 being an online multiplayer game. He never suggests that at any point was an offline Sims title in production. On that same page you will see he lists Icarus (your other favorite topic to create stories about) and Olympus both as online games.

They didn't shelve anything. They dropped online for offline and a few years later ported over game components to make a cheap mobile replacement. One thing is for sure EA wouldnt shelve a mobile app that was in active development for 4 years, especially one that makes NO money without microtransactions. Whats even more unlikely is that mobile app would be taken off the shelf, and then given even more development time while it has made $0.00 in 9 years. You have no idea what you're talking about at this point.
    edited May 2017

nUUfIF5.png

mobile game was announced less than 12 hours ago, and they're already trying to make crazy claims to discredit Olympus becoming Sims 4.

She, thanks.

And you don't? You never provide a single source to anything, while I always have.

Infact, people only assumed because Olympus "looks like The Sims 4" but this also looks like The Sims 4.

Why can't you see those Sims in the second picture are in TS4? The violin painting, the girl's necklace and just about all of it. It's clear those are TS4 assets. AKA Olympus....even the same base game wallpaper.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    @Cinebar wrote: »

nUUfIF5.png

She, thanks.

Why can't you see those Sims in the second picture are in TS4? The violin painting, the girl's necklace and just about all of it. It's clear those are TS4 assets. AKA Olympus....even the same base game wallpaper.

But they are in the first picture, Minus the Sims looking different.
    Oh he didn't???

" I only have knowledge of how TS4 looked up until early 2012 when it was still an online multiplayer game."

barely scrolled through the page and what would you know? Funny thing, there are several other instances where he also references The Sims 4 being an online multiplayer game. He never suggests that at any point was an offline Sims title in production. On that same page you will see he lists Icarus (your other favorite topic to create stories about) and Olympus both as online games.

They didn't shelve anything. They dropped online for offline and a few years later ported over game components to make a cheap mobile replacement. One thing is for sure EA wouldnt shelve a mobile app that was in active development for 4 years, especially one that makes NO money without microtransactions. Whats even more unlikely is that mobile app would be taken off the shelf, and then given even more development time while it has made $0.00 in 9 years. You have no idea what you're talking about at this point.

It's clear you barely scrolled through the page.

He literally gets asked how they converted an online game to offline, and he states that it didn't happen.
    I quoted it to you in the other thread, and you went silent, then beat around the bush, so.

I'm not the only person to make the connection, FYI:

Oh he didn't???

He literally gets asked how they converted an online game to offline, and he states that it didn't happen.
    I quoted it to you in the other thread, and you went silent, then beat around the bush, so.

Hmm...
    "Q: So up until last year the game was multiplayer online? Is it even possible to change the mechanics of the game without breaking it?

A: From what I read in the announcement, they decided to go with a new game engine for the offline version. (The game engine is basically the 3D world of the game.
    The Interactions and User Interface are separate from the 3D world/game engine. They will have to hook up the Interactions and UI to the new 3D engine.
    The online 3D world (which you all saw in the demos) used a different engine and the world, objects and characters were what’s called “low-poly”.
    For an online game you are restricted by the internet connection so the world, objects and characters were simplified. No one was happy with the quality of the online version so it’s a good thing that they moved to offline."

You mean this?? Doesn't really confirm what you say, could you just you know copy and paste the exact quote? I've read that article plenty of times I would be shocked if that bombshell was hidden there all these years.

A new engine, more than likely based on what they had developed already.

nUUfIF5.png

She, thanks.

But they are in the first picture, Minus the Sims looking different.

Think on it. The second picture is Olympus/then we get TS4/then the first picture of Sims Mobile is TS4 ported to mobile. It's not that hard to see. :D
    Oh he didn't???

Hmm...
    "Q: So up until last year the game was multiplayer online? Is it even possible to change the mechanics of the game without breaking it?

A: From what I read in the announcement, they decided to go with a new game engine for the offline version. (The game engine is basically the 3D world of the game.
    The Interactions and User Interface are separate from the 3D world/game engine. They will have to hook up the Interactions and UI to the new 3D engine.
    The online 3D world (which you all saw in the demos) used a different engine and the world, objects and characters were what’s called “low-poly”.
    For an online game you are restricted by the internet connection so the world, objects and characters were simplified. No one was happy with the quality of the online version so it’s a good thing that they moved to offline."

You mean this?? Doesn't really confirm what you say, could you just you know copy and paste the exact quote? I've read that article plenty of times I would be shocked if that bombshell was hidden there all these years.

I have, even linked it.

It does. He asks if it's possible to take an online game to offline, and he said they didn't do that for The Sims 4.

There was a tweet (I can't find it) that said they started working on the Sims 4 in 2010 by a dev.

Why call it The Sims 4 in 2010, then codename it in 2012, to then go back to The Sims 4 in 2013.
    It's definitely another game engine, which was offline.

But not Olympus, which was online.
    Oh he didn't???

Hmm...

I have, even linked it.

It does. He asks if it's possible to take an online game to offline, and he said they didn't do that for The Sims 4.

There was a tweet (I can't find it) that said they started working on the Sims 4 in 2010 by a dev.

Why call it The Sims 4 in 2010, then codename it in 2012, to then go back to The Sims 4 in 2013.

I don't think everyone working on parts of a project get to know the name/title of an IP. That's why they are giving code names. They may find out later when they are allowed to know. But if you are given a project asking you to build the UI you may not even know what it's about nor what it is. He wasn't even aware people were so passionate about 'The Sims' and surprised by all the interest and even those who doubted him.

He had no idea how The Sims history had gone, according to him.
    Oh he didn't???

Hmm...

I have, even linked it.

I don't think everyone working on parts of a project get to know the name/title of an IP. That's why they are giving code names. They may find out later when they are allowed to know. But if you are given a project asking you to build the UI you may not even know what it's about nor what it is. He wasn't even aware people were so passionate about 'The Sims' and surprised by all the interest and even those who doubted him.

He's the only source for what Olympus "was" so any speculation about Olympus came from him.
    You've also quoted him in the past.

So even if he doesn't know anything, everything we know about Olympus (apart from a name) came from him.

Do you see where I'm coming from?
    Oh he didn't???

Hmm...

I have, even linked it.

He's the only source for what Olympus "was" so any speculation about Olympus came from him.

So even if he doesn't know anything, everything we know about Olympus (apart from a name) came from him.

Yes, but let's remember SimsVIP never said he was where they got that video they sat on until they felt like they could show it. They said it was mailed to them they never once said he was the one. He did an interview with MTS and said he worked on the UI. I'm not sure he even claimed those were his mockups.
    Oh he didn't???

Hmm...

I have, even linked it.

Yes, but let's remember SimsVIP never said he was where they got that video they sat on until they felt like they could show it. They said it was mailed to them they never once said he was the one. He did an interview with MTS and said he worked on the UI. I'm not sure he even claimed those were his mockups.

Even so.
    Those videos are closer to how The Sims Mobile works, than how The Sims 4 works.

The Sims Mobile online is almost exactly the same system. The Sims 4 uses a traditional system.

But "how" Olympus works was based on what Patrick Kelly said.
  • TwistedMexicanTwistedMexican Posts: 652 Member
    edited May 2017

nUUfIF5.png

It's not Olympus, I've looked at the code and it does rely heavily on TS4 assets, though modified, and there are design elements that were present in Olympus, but it's a completely different engine, borrowing game controllers from firemonkey studios, EA's mobile sector. Also if you watch the concept video, it's very clear Olympus was not being developed with mobile in mind.

Also TS4 was most certainly the end result of Olympus. This is for multiple reasons:

The UI in TS4 has Olympus code laced almost entirely throughout. For all intents and purposes, the TS4 UI is Olympus.

The game's code uses Google Protocol Buffers to talk between Python and C++. The only logical reason for designing a game like this is as a netcode (client to server and vice versa). I believe the mod-friendly python code we got was a result of needing a local client/server connection without modifying the core code. I can't say for certain, but it's very likely this crosstalk is why the game can't seem to keep up with simulations at higher speeds.

If we manage to decompile the C++, I would lay a large bet that you'll find Olympus code in there as well.

CASt wouldn't have been in the works either because of the amount of data transfer that would be needed to sync customized textures to all players, so that is a valid explanation for the lack of CASt in what we have today.

As a side note, we need to remember at the time Olympus was discovered and TS4 was announced with emphesis on "single-player offline experience", SimCity was crashing hard in response to it's online and restrictive gameplay. After years of working with the TS4 engine, I say all signs point to a sudden shift from a SimCity style engine to what we received today.

[Sims 4 Cheat Resource] || [My Mods - Base Game] || [My Mods - Expansions]
    [Lifetime Skills || Set Age || Full House ||Persistent FullEditMode || Persistent TestingCheats || DayWalker Vampires]

I'm now on Twitter. I'd love it if you joined me there :)
    edited May 2017

nUUfIF5.png

It's not Olympus, I've looked at the code and it does rely heavily on TS4 assets, though modified, and there are design elements that were present in Olympus, but it's a completely different engine, borrowing game controllers from firemonkey studios, EA's mobile sector. Also if you watch the concept video, it's very clear Olympus was not being developed with mobile in mind.

Also TS4 was most certainly the end result of Olympus. This is for multiple reasons:

The UI in TS4 has Olympus code laced almost entirely throughout. For all intents and purposes, the TS4 UI is Olympus.

The game's code uses Google Protocol Buffers to talk between Python and C++. The only logical reason for designing a game like this is as a netcode (client to server and vice versa). I believe the mod-friendly python code we got was a result of needing a local client/server connection without modifying the core code. I can't say for certain, but it's very likely this crosstalk is why the game can't seem to keep up with simulations at higher speeds.

CASt wouldn't have been in the works either because of the amount of data transfer that would be needed to sync customized textures to all players, so that is a valid explanation for the lack of CASt in what we have today.

As a side note, we need to remember at the time Olympus was discovered and TS4 was announced with emphesis on "single-player offline experience", SimCity was crashing hard in response to it's online and restrictive gameplay. After years of working with the TS4 engine, I say all signs point to a sudden shift from a SimCity style engine to what we received today.

thank you if they can't take your word I don't know who they will believe.

nUUfIF5.png

If we manage to decompile the C++, I would lay a large bet that you'll find Olympus code in there as well.

nUUfIF5.png

thank you if they can't take your word I don't know who they will believe.

Chi Chan explained there was an "online mode" for The Sims 4. And we actually has additional comments from @SimGuruMeatball who worked with Chi Chan, confirm that Chi Chan was correct.

Chi Chan explained there was a Story Mode, Online Mode & Freeplay Mode. So what you're saying makes sense.

But The Sims 4 being an MMO, goes against Chi Chan's comments that were cosigned by a Current Guru.

According to Patrick, Olympus was an MMO. Sims Mobile is an MMO.
    The Sims 4 had online elements, but was never an MMO according to Chi Chan.