Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Things you didn't know!

Comments

• Options
    MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 373 Member
    Just got back to plays TS3 after a 6 month hiatus. Before said hiatus, however, I remember sending my child sims to the library after school as homework got done faster in the enviroment.

I also remember some of my child sims becoming singed after doing their homework near instantaneously. I think it had something to do with the 'genius' or 'bookwork' traits that they had. Either way, it was hilarious to send those poor, soot-covered souls home in nothing but their skivvies. :D

Were your child sims witches by any chance? Sometimes when child or teen witches do homework they can instantly complete it with magic, although sometimes they might end up singed.
  • Options
    EthropturEthroptur Posts: 53 Member
    edited August 2022
    If one uses the miner to drill a hole, the hole becomes part of a tunnel network that allows near-instantaneous travel between all drilled holes anywhere in the town. The holes must be named, lest you become confused.
  • Options
    jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    I found out recently (from watching Youtube) that if you own a resort, there are all kinds of changes you can make to different objects on your lot:

You can set the temperature of the firewalk (the coals your sims can try to walk across)

You can chlorinate the swimming pool!

You can decide what type and quality of food to serve on buffet tables

You can make all kinds of changes to the check out desk and employees

And of course you can upgrade the resort as you earn stars. This is automatic for the buildings at your resort (just a click makes them bigger) and you can recolor most of them.

There is probably a lot more of course but that's all I know for now.
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    I didn't know a sim could be completely naked in the shower, and their phone will ring. From their hip. :o
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    I’m sure that’s quite the unpleasant experience for that sim. 😝
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Male and female sims with the proper trait have a special introduction when first meeting. After the female sim curtsy she will hold up a hand and the male sim will kiss it.
  • Options
    ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    This isn't necessarily an in-game thing, but I only recently realized that the last four digits of the "lastdevice" line in Options.ini are the same as the last four digits of the Nvidia driver version you have installed. For example, I just installed Nvidia driver version 527.56, so the last four digits of lastdevice should be changed to 2756. This is useful if you have an Nvidia graphics card and The Sims 3 constantly deletes all of your settings any time you update the driver. I used to do a whole annoying routine of backing up my Options.ini, booting up the game, having my settings wipe out, closing the game, copying the newly generated lastdevice line to my backup, saving the backup as my new Options.ini, then booting the game again to actually play if I even feel like it anymore. Now I just edit Options.ini and change those four numbers whenever I update my Nvidia driver.

This is probably a boring response, but it's exciting to me because that problem was so annoying.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    When you hover over your career tab while traveling, you'll get a message saying "On vacation - try not to worry about work or school right now!"

A neat little detail.
  • Options
    HolaheyeHolaheye Posts: 88 Member
    If your child Sim has found monsters under the bed, you can get rid of that moodlet by asking another Sim to be protected. I always thought that interaction was mostly useless, so this surprised me!
  • Options
    I don't know if it's intentional but I had my pyromaniac sim set something on fire in his dormitory. He burned the sink and insurance grant me money to cover my loss.

It was only $27, but maybe this could be used as a quick crash grab. :smirk:
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I don't know if it's intentional but I had my pyromaniac sim set something on fire in his dormitory. He burned the sink and insurance grant me money to cover my loss.

The question is, can you actually replace that same sink for the 27 bucks? If so, you still made no money and if not, you lost money.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options

The question is, can you actually replace that same sink for the 27 bucks? If so, you still made no money and if not, you lost money.

Items don't burn if you have a pyromaniac set them on fire so the sink was fine. It's a purely cosmetic fire. Which is why I was surprised insurance gave me money for an untouched sink.

Does that count as insurance fraud?
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member

Items don't burn if you have a pyromaniac set them on fire so the sink was fine. It's a purely cosmetic fire. Which is why I was surprised insurance gave me money for an untouched sink.

Does that count as insurance fraud?

Brilliant! 😆 I shall have to try it!
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    dst193dst193 Posts: 43 Member
    I've never played a sim with the frugal trait. I like my sims to live it up whenever they can. :p
    My university sim had a NPC roommate that was frugal. When he left his bedroom she walked up the stairs and into his room and turned off the lights. Then a thought bubble of a stack of money appeared over her head. She was happy she was saving money. Anytime a cheap object is bought for their place she makes sure she gives her approval. Lol!
  • Options
    ley65ley65 Posts: 19 Member
    a fun little fact i like about the sims 3 is that you can actually put teddybears & imaginary friend toys into the cribs!
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Archivist wrote: »
    This isn't necessarily an in-game thing, but I only recently realized that the last four digits of the "lastdevice" line in Options.ini are the same as the last four digits of the Nvidia driver version you have installed. For example, I just installed Nvidia driver version 527.56, so the last four digits of lastdevice should be changed to 2756. This is useful if you have an Nvidia graphics card and The Sims 3 constantly deletes all of your settings any time you update the driver. I used to do a whole annoying routine of backing up my Options.ini, booting up the game, having my settings wipe out, closing the game, copying the newly generated lastdevice line to my backup, saving the backup as my new Options.ini, then booting the game again to actually play if I even feel like it anymore. Now I just edit Options.ini and change those four numbers whenever I update my Nvidia driver.

This is probably a boring response, but it's exciting to me because that problem was so annoying.

Thank you for sharing this. I use custom settings in the options.ini and to know now there is a way to change the last 4 digits of the last device to the current NVidia driver version makes it so quick and easy to keep the custom settings. I just did this last night after updating to the latest for Resident Evil 4. Now I can easily get back into TS3 anytime and I no longer have to dread a new NVidia driver update that I would hold off on for as long as possible. Much appreciated. :mrgreen:
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    @Deshong04 Yay! Happy that it helped! :smiley:
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    I didn't realize until recently that certain lights can be placed onto the mixologist's bar next to the drinks. I knew about the countertops, but just not literally at their station.
    EiFlric.png
  • Options
    EcaEca Posts: 155 Member
    A few months ago, I learned that I can create a pond in my backyard and put 10 fish of the same type into it so that I can fish for this type indefinitely. And I used this knowledge for deathfish.
    giphy.gif
    Crystal Cover from Tumblr
  • Options
    Today I learned that Townies can have death flowers and give them to Death and come back, when they die.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,671 Member
    The cultural traits (Asian, Egyptian, French) are forcibly associated with related songs, you can't try to remove the related songs with nraas. This also means that you can't make sims from other Asian countries that use chopsticks but can't sing Chinese songs. I think it's probably hard-coded.
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
  • Options
    Yesterday I learned that mermaid sims cannot use the Fun & Sun Wave Station from the store.
  • Options
    Today I learned that sharks will not attack mermaids, and that the Collection Helper will not activate underwater.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,924 Member
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    Today I learned that sharks will not attack mermaids, and that the Collection Helper will not activate underwater.

That collection helper under water is really annoying. You have to really think about what you want to look for when sending your sim underwater. Unless you have more than one sim with more than one collection helper. Swapping from sim to sim under water might save some of the annoyance.

I think sharks might be scared of mermaids. I'm pretty sure I remember my mermaid protecting a sim from sharks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top