Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Things you didn't know!

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    AlienStars wrote: »
    With the whole Imaginary Friend doll thing, I just put the doll on the ground, and through testingcheatsenabled, just right click on the doll, press object, then delete it. Bam, the doll is gone with no ill effects.
    If the doll ever animated itself before doing that, then there is an underlying sim in addition to the doll that doesn't get deleted that way. This is where a mod is needed, to get rid of the then bodyless sim that can otherwise cause game corruption.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    With the whole Imaginary Friend doll thing, I just put the doll on the ground, and through testingcheatsenabled, just right click on the doll, press object, then delete it. Bam, the doll is gone with no ill effects.
    If the doll ever animated itself before doing that, then there is an underlying sim in addition to the doll that doesn't get deleted that way. This is where a mod is needed, to get rid of the then bodyless sim that can otherwise cause game corruption.

I think theres a horror movie about that glitch ;)
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited June 2017
    In my game all of my babies get an IF one way or another. When I have a HUGE household they make a great baby sitter when I want to concentrate on other sims in the household.

Toddlers_And_Imaginary_Friends001.jpg
  • Options
    1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    If you build a house on a lot near the coast and dig down (not using the pond tool) you will hit the water table and you will find water at that level, particularly noticeable if you build a cut-in basement. I noticed this a lot in Aurora Skies.

As a side note, this water table rendered my basement unusable. A little annoying, but definitely realistic. Therefore I had to build up.

So, wait! How did @CravenLestat build an island with multi-level basements in Barnacle Bay?
  • Options
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    Also, the Imaginary Friend toy can be sold when the kid is still a baby/toddler. Or just put in the family inventory.
    Nope and nope.

My current Sim was an IF for my witch baby in Dragon Valley. In the beginning, after it came alive, it drove me crazy constantly walking into the bathroom when my child sim was trying to bathe or waking her up for a pillow fight. I tried everything to get rid of it. You can't sell them or drag them into the family inventory - or if there is a way without cheats I couldn't find it. The best you can do is put them in the child's inventory at night when they go back to doll form and never let them out again. I toughed it out, got the potion to make them real and she turned out more interesting than my family I was playing! :D When she graduated high school I had her move away and go to Uni. Now she is heading out on a life of adventure and tomb raiding.

So, did you know if you choose to rename your IF you get to pick the gender when you pick the name? I didn't bother renaming so her gender was randomly set. :/

• Options
    If you build a house on a lot near the coast and dig down (not using the pond tool) you will hit the water table and you will find water at that level, particularly noticeable if you build a cut-in basement. I noticed this a lot in Aurora Skies.

As a side note, this water table rendered my basement unusable. A little annoying, but definitely realistic. Therefore I had to build up.

So, wait! How did @CravenLestat build an island with multi-level basements in Barnacle Bay?

Easy.

1. Choose a lot size
    2. Place the lot in the ocean
    3. Build basements in the usual way using the basement tool from build mode.
  • Options
    @Karritz - I think the real question, which I am now also wondering, was how did he do that without having the basement be flooded all of the time as it would of course all be below sea-level. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @Karritz - I think the real question, which I am now also wondering, was how did he do that without having the basement be flooded all of the time as it would of course all be below sea-level. :)

I've never had a flooded basement when using the basement tool. I'll have another go later to make sure I'm not dreaming.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

OK All I can say is it is the way you do the basement. That's why I specified using the basement tool in my post above.

I just did some testing, in Barnacle Bay becuase that's the place being specified here.

I added a 64x64 lot so I could build a basement using both methods.

Island_With_Basement003.jpg

I made a basement on one side by using the walk in (old original) method.

Island_With_Basement001.jpg

And beside it I did a 4 level basement using the basement tool.

Island_With_Basement002.jpg

Now, I knew this would work because I use basements in my games all the time. I just was wondering if I was going crazy when questioned about it.

This is my basement I've been posting about for months now. It is under Plumbob Island in Isla Paradiso. I have many other basements in other games but this one will do the job here.

Plumbob Island - showing the tiny hut that covers the stairs down to the basement.
    PlumbobIsland003.jpg

The spiral staircase inside the ground level hut on the island
    PlumbobIsland005.jpg

This pic shows all 4 levels of basement. I had to carefully make them this shape to avoid having the basements poking above the ground level above. I didn't want to see the basement walls poking above the water level.

PlumbobIsland006.jpg

Sims live and farm in the basements on this lot.
    PlumbobIsland007.jpg

This second bottom basement is this shape to make room for the trees in the bottom basement. They would poke through the floor if I covered the whole available area with floor in this basement level. And I've used Swift Gro Gardening Stations in the bottom basement and they have a light that reserves an invisible space in the floor above them and it is impossible to place objects on those tiles without using MOO cheat.
    Plumbob_Island008.jpg

PlumbobIsland009.jpg

TractorTrack001.jpg

If you need to see more, check out my YouTube channel. Most of the 29 videos I've posted about the Isla Paradiso Bunch have some action in this lot/basement.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuW44b3uCMtCSaq4gwC8EZg
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Karritz - That all looks of course as awesome as I expected it to be. But I never for a moment meant to question your methods or memory, sorry if I gave that impression. I was just confused (as were others, I think) as to what was being described.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Karritz - That all looks of course as awesome as I expected it to be. But I never for a moment meant to question your methods or memory, sorry if I gave that impression. I was just confused (as were others, I think) as to what was being described.

I got confused when people were wondering how it is possible because I thought it was obvious. If others didn't think it was obvious I started to wonder what I was missing. So I decided to take a closer look at it and post a few pics.
  • Options
    I just thought of something. A horse gets a panicked moodlet when it sees a scarecrow.
  • Options
    Ok, I get it now. Essentially, the old way lowers the terrain, like digging would. The basement tool walls off the terrain, so no flooding. <insert lightbulb emoji here> Thank you! :)
  • Options
    MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member

He used sillicone, duuh... o:)
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Teens that have learned how to drive can teach another teen using the podium that comes from UL.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    Brayden Chikamori: MOM, WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WE COULD MAKE GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES WITH THOSE THINGS?? WHAT ARE YOU DOING PUTTING THEM INTO THE GROUND???
    River (McIrish) Chikamori: Don't worry, son... We'll have plenty more where that came from. (River has Level 10 Gardening and can grow cheese plants).

Sure wish that worked in RL. :( I could definitely use a grilled cheese sandwich right now. :(
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    MRSMLOGMRSMLOG Posts: 21,181 Member
    edited June 2017
    Clair Ursine... the definition of "ursine" is "bearlike."

(And, of course, Lothario means "seducer of women.")
  • Options
    ShojoDaggerShojoDagger Posts: 320 Member
    I recently discovered that sims can break their smartphones. The ones in the sim panel, those phones, yes they can break them!
    While watching a video etc with their smartphone, the sim can drop the phone.
    After being dropped, the phone icon in the sim panel will have a cracked screen & an added "repair phone" option.
    The rest of the phone's options seem to function normally tho.
    I uploaded something! (yay) My Studio
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    Sonata13SingerSonata13Singer Posts: 183 Member
    > @Pancakesandwich said:
    > Did you know... that if you name a star (when found by telescope) after a Sim's name, you will get a memory according to that?
    >
    > Did you know... that you can harvest plants in another household without anybody caring? I just robbed some farmers within a few hours because I was bored :D
    >
    > Did you know... (in Into the Future) you can apparently win at least up to 100,000 simoleons in the lottery? Yes, 100,000. Your Sims will literally be richer than any other premade family ever, over night. My current household's second lottery ticket caused this :blush:
    >
    > Did you know... that you can easily copy a CASt pattern onto another kind of object without even leaving CASt? Just set the pattern you have on one object as favourite, then go to the other object and choose the Favourites category. This also works very well to make each part of a dress have the exact same colours.

The highest I ever won was 1,500,000. I was shocked.
    3ZWheQM.gif
    Origin ID: Sonata13Singer

I also create music and art (search up Sona13Singer on google... but I haven't been uploading a lot recently)
  • Options
    marstinsonmarstinson Posts: 367 Member
    I might have missed this, but the "I Can Fly" interaction for Fairies replenishes about 10% or 15% of the Sim's "Fun" meter. 3+ years of playing around with Fairies and I only noticed this a few days ago.
  • Options
    MariesaliasMariesalias Posts: 1,954 Member

I agree, never delete them, it can cause so many issues!

You CAN have your sim give away their IF (in doll form) to another sim using the Give Gift option. That way it transfers ownership to the other person. Not sure if this works if you left them come alive, but it definitely does if your kid never got too attached to it. I leaned this from watching Llandros09's videos.

I like IFs and often end up making them real and moving them out into the town after I make sure they have their own unique look.

Another thing I just realized (thanks to another Llandros09 video) is that you can randomize colors/patterns on items! I was floored that after all these years and extensive CaST use that I had never noticed this! 0.o

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2017
    Ok, I get it now. Essentially, the old way lowers the terrain, like digging would. The basement tool walls off the terrain, so no flooding. <insert lightbulb emoji here> Thank you! :)
    Living in the Netherlands (26% is below sea level): we have basements here ;)

ETA: learned a lot on this page (like the car driving teens that can teach other teens :o). Does anyone know how to take away an IF from a kid you don't control? She's a roommate in my household and constantly playing that darn thing, ignoring all the other toys. I have MC, in case a solution is hidden in that mod.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    learned a lot on this page

Yay, this thread is actually useful :blush:

I should probably warn people about a thing though: If you want to kill a Sim, then leave enough space for them to die!!! Otherwise they might just decide to NOT DIE. And this will very likely make the game unplayable as you can't do the most basic things anymore, at least not with fire death.
    To fix it, reset the Sim that's not dying. They will hopefully appear somewhere where they have enough space for getting burned to death. Then wait a while and they'll actually do it now.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    learned a lot on this page

Yay, this thread is actually useful :blush:

I should probably warn people about a thing though: If you want to kill a Sim, then leave enough space for them to die!!! Otherwise they might just decide to NOT DIE. And this will very likely make the game unplayable as you can't do the most basic things anymore, at least not with fire death.
    To fix it, reset the Sim that's not dying. They will hopefully appear somewhere where they have enough space for getting burned to death. Then wait a while and they'll actually do it now.
    Is that really true? I never had the problem. I had a sim dying in a small corner in the kitchen recently and the whole grimreaper animation just moved itself to another corner in the kitchen.

Cameron_0509_zpsgpu6ijv8.png

Cameron_0515_zpsssfklftw.png

Cameron_0517_zpskqd9lt7b.png

5JZ57S6.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top