The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

.DDS files & Sims 4 Studios!!!! HELP

SakuraJonesSakuraJones Posts: 72 Member
Hello, I am a long time Sims 3-er, and a fairly new Sims 4-er. I prefer the color-wheel of the sims 3, to be honest.
I have CC for both, but this is about Sims 4. I wanted to recolor, not create or anything, CC hair for my sims. (I love bright bold purple hair colors for my sims!!!)

I downloaded the Sims 4 Studios, I downloaded the Photoshop plug-in from Nvidia.
I installed the plugin by pathing it into the Adobe/photoshop/plugins/fileformat folder. Opened up my Photoshop Elements 10 and it said I needed to download a app feature called DirectPlay. Did that!!
Now I can save in .DDS format on Photoshop!! YEAH!!

Well here's my problem, when I go into Sims 4 Studios (S4S) and try to open one my hair files, it opens up the save as panel. I click the 'save as' file type and only get 2 options: Sims 4 Package (*.package) and Sims 4 World (*.world)
Wait, what???

I heard you can save files in .PNG and it would work in S4S, but I don't even have that option!!

Sigh.

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on and why I only have those 2 save types.
I finally got the nerve up to start recoloring hair and maybe going further later on down the road and I run into this brick wall!

Thanks so much in advance!!!!
- SakuraJones AKA TigerFairySims
Post edited by SakuraJones on

Comments

• ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    Well u could try getting another software. GIMP is good and it lets u save loads of types of file extentions
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • SakuraJonesSakuraJones Posts: 72 Member
    P.S.
    I can't open .Package or .World files in my Photoshop!
    Okay, I will look into that.
    Thank you!
    Any idea which one is the best or just good?
  • MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    You need to export the individual texture, not save the package file.
    edited May 2017
    I downloaded GIMP 2.8 and it didn't make a difference.
    I still only have the 2 options for saving.

@MrMonty96 what I am talking about is, before I edit the hair color at all.
    When you first go into the CAS (select option-- part swatch, standalone, etc.) edit and you select the hair (or item) and then it prompts you to save a new file.
    That is where I am talking about!
    I only have 2 file types to choose from; Sims 4 Package (*.package) and Sims 4 World (*.world)
    Nothing else!
    Choose package, that is the thing that will enable you to put it into your game. After that it will take you to a panel of options and swatches with a preview on the left side of the screen. That is when you export the textures.
    Okay I am going to post step-by-step pics. hold on, please!
    Here, is each step. Though, my mouse pointer wouldn't show up.
    Step-One:
    313lhna.jpg

Step-Two:
    33oo7yb.jpg

Step-Three:
    xle052.jpg
    Step-Four:
    1h8orl.jpg

Step-Five:
    1212xxh.jpg

Step-Six:
    v5whhv.jpg
    It always takes me to steps 5 & 6, @MrMonty96
    I don't know if this makes a difference, but I do have 'Helper Monkey' installed.
    Up until step 4 you are doing well. When it shows "File name" put in the name so maybe "hair recolours". Then leave the file type as package. Then you can proceed to getting the textures.
    Oh really?
    I thought it had to be a .DDS file, because all the videos I'd watched to learn how to recolor had the file type listed as .DDS.
    Well I will give it a try!
    :D:D
    It works, thank you so much!!!
    You have a good night!!!
  • _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member

There is a tutorial HERE that shows how to make a recolor of a custom content item using Sims 4 Studio. :)