Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dine Out is still the absolute worst

Even after so many updates and patches, Dine Out is still the most infuriating, useless, mess of a game pack ever made for TS4.

Here's one reason of about a thousand: I have a sim I want to hire as chef. He does not have a job already. He is skilled in cooking and mixology. He is not skilled in charisma, fitness, or comedy. Then WHY does my game insist that I hire him as host or waiter, every single time, and never a chef? Oh, he shows up to hire, just never as a chef. Always host and waiter. No matter how many times I reload. I don't want him to be a host or a waiter. I want him to be a chef. He would be a good chef and I want to hire him, specifically him, and not these other six fools who have no skills at all. Always the same six unskilled sims. I don't want them. Why do they never change? Why can't I just walk up to this one sim that I want and offer him a job?

Of course, this is just one of the many things I would love to do with my restaurants that is forbidden for some unexplained reason. I would also love to be a chef in my own restaurant, or have my sim's daughter be the waitress. I would love to hire played neighborhood sims that don't lose their job each time I load their house.

The limitations on the restaurant experience are beyond frustrating. This game pack is the only pack of this whole generation that I have deeply regretted.

Comments

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    The pack is OK as a restaurant game pack, but the management side they emphasized their focus on leaves a lot to be desired. There's no break options, no option to set salaries, limited ability on who you can hire, limited ability of the management. I wish I could have just said hello and walked around as a restaurant manager, that sounds super easy and super unrealistic. Given that this GP is almost a year old I doubt any changes or updates will be made.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I'm frustrated by the same things. I got Dine Out thinking I could customize the staff with my own sims so I could do theme restaurants, so I was extremely disappointed to find out that I had to hire inexperienced townies. I mean, I'm not heartbroken over it because I didn't care much about restaurants to begin with, but I might have skipped buying it altogether if I knew there was really nothing for me in it.

I feel like the npc/pc AI selection is backwards in sims 4. When I want to select and use specific sims for roles, I can't... (restaurants, bar tending, entertainment, retail, yoga, etc.) ...and when I want my played sims left alone, (festivals, random job fillers, special events,) the game uses them.

I really REALLY wish they would patch in a "select sims" pop up for all of these things, or a tick box or something, but I have a feeling that it's something that's deeply embedded in the coding.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Sadly, Dine Out is just one of their 'fail' packs imo.

I can enjoy using it so long as I don't want to run a restaurant myself. Just like the OFB aspect in GTW, the pack was not done sufficiently well and I doubt that any changes will be made to improve it.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Actually ....

I would say 'Dine Out' lives up to its name. The pack is all about dining out, eating food and learning experimental dishes. The option of running a restaurant is more of an afterthought for it.

Dine out does not equate to management of a restaurant.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I like it as a restaurant for my Sims to go eat. I didn't bother trying to run one because I heard so many negative things in the beginning.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I had really hoped that DO along with GTW would have been reminiscent of Sims 2 OFB, but I was sorely let down. And a new thing I've noticed, when I send my sims out to eat, they can order their food, but it never comes. Other sims (non playable) get their food, but not mine. Last night I had them wait about five sim hours and no food.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »
    Actually ....

Then it's odd why they included the management aspect into it
  • Options
    Actually ....

If you read my post, I said the management part of running the restaurant was an afterthought.
  • Options
    Actually ....

If you read my post, I said the management part of running the restaurant was an afterthought.

The statements claiming it to be a focus area suggests otherwise. Pretty sure when asked why employee roles can't be filled with player Sims they said they wanted to focus on the management aspect more, but if you say it was an afterthought then what gives?
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2017
    You can move Sims into a house and then hopefully (it's random) they show up for hire. Or if you have some you like put them in a house and turn aging off for them so they don't grow old and die. You don't have to play them. I'm sorry you hate this GP. I thought it was a major turn around for TS4 to me. It is very useful in my game when I play. I would say there isn't a Sim day someone doesn't go out to eat in my game. The last patch messed up my Sim's restaurant and I lost all her employees.... :s because of it, and had trained them all. I was mad about that, but she started over and back up to level four restaurant. Haven't played much lately. (I thought *I would hate the owning a restaurant but I thought it was fun and a lot to do). TS2 had it's problems, too. (did I say that?) when you wanted your Sim to be chef the Sims who had already ordered would lose their food turn...so, all these games had some problem with stuff like this.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited April 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »
    You can move Sims into a house and then hopefully (it's random) they show up for hire. Or if you have some you like put them in a house and turn aging off for them so they don't grow old and die. You don't have to play them. I'm sorry you hate this GP. I thought it was a major turn around for TS4 to me. It is very useful in my game when I play. I would say there isn't a Sim day someone doesn't go out to eat in my game. The last patch messed up my Sim's restaurant and I lost all her employees.... :s because of it, and had trained them all. I was mad about that, but she started over and back up to level four restaurant. Haven't played much lately. (I thought *I would hate the owning a restaurant but I thought it was fun and a lot to do). TS2 had it's problems, too. (did I say that?) when you wanted your Sim to be chef the Sims who had already ordered would lose their food turn...so, all these games had some problem with stuff like this.

Guess I'm just not their target audience. I'm tired of the issues. They seem to be worse each time instead of better. I had major issues near the beginning of S2 where I rage quit due to the jump bug. I literally couldn't play my game because sims could not interact. They fixed it and I never had an issue with it again.

It was then that I swore I wouldn't put up up with this bull pooh any more. But I eventually bit the bullet and learned what hoops to jump through for 3.

I'm just not going to do it any more. I'm not going to pay for this or make or accept excuses for it any more. It's worse this time around. It's every flipping month. Too much for me to excuse.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

Guess I'm just not their target audience. I'm tired of the issues. They seem to be worse each time instead of better. I had major issues near the beginning of S2 where I rage quit due to the jump bug. I literally couldn't play my game because sims could not interact. They fixed it and I never had an issue with it again.

It was then that I swore I wouldn't put up up with this bull pooh any more. But I eventually bit the bullet and learned what hoops to jump through for 3.

I'm just not going to do it any more. I'm not going to pay for this or make or accept excuses for it any more. It's worse this time around. It's every flipping month. Too much for me to excuse.

I waited five years for restaurants in TS3, which never actually happened (store set was the worst) and then two years in TS4...I don['t know I have fun with this one. I had fun with TS2's restaurants, but it did have problems, too. If you were there as owner and let Sims go home you couldn't call them back, (you had to think ahead and hire more and not call everyone in at the same time, it was tricky) and if your Sim took a turn at being the cook, waiter, or host/hostess, it would throw everything off on orders and Sims sat there never getting the food. So, I love TS2 but it needed tweaks.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    The statements claiming it to be a focus area suggests otherwise. Pretty sure when asked why employee roles can't be filled with player Sims they said they wanted to focus on the management aspect more, but if you say it was an afterthought then what gives?

What gives? I am not a developer, I can't speak for them.

Dine Out is about sims eating out in a restaurant, either as a date, a family gathering or whatnot. The name chosen for the pack is perfectly correct ... Dine Out. The pack handles that part well. Sims going to a restaurant to eat. The eating out part, from the appetizer and drink down to dessert, with all the animations of the menus and ordering is done well. The actual running of the restaurant appears to be an afterthought. It is not well planned, it appears to have been shoehorned in.

Even with what you said, it doesn't make sense. Employee roles can't be filled with player sims cause they wanted to focus on the management aspect more ... how is it focusing on the management aspect more if you can't hire the employees you want. It is managements job to hire and manage their employees.

Dine Out is good for what it is, an eating experience. Dine Out is not good for running an actual restaurant.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2017
    When I look at the trailer, it doesn't become clear to me the managing is handled as a poorly done afterthought. They present it as one of the features in there, without any restrictions.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    I do like it but it's more of a 'bug out' then 'dine out' lol1
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    If anyone is interested in a (very long and tedious) workaround, I figured something out. The selection of six sims does not include any sim who is currently loaded on the lot. So I invited over each of the sims I didn't want. (I used MCCC summon, to be quicker, but if you don't use mods you could just call them on the phone... if your sim happens to know them.)

When they arrived, the available hires showed six new sims that I didn't want, lol! So I called those ones over, too. Six new sims that I didn't want. Call them over. Again. Again.

In the end, I had like 40 sims on my lot but the guy I wanted finally showed up on the hiring panel for chef. Geez! :s
  • Options

What gives? I am not a developer, I can't speak for them.

Dine Out is about sims eating out in a restaurant, either as a date, a family gathering or whatnot. The name chosen for the pack is perfectly correct ... Dine Out. The pack handles that part well. Sims going to a restaurant to eat. The eating out part, from the appetizer and drink down to dessert, with all the animations of the menus and ordering is done well. The actual running of the restaurant appears to be an afterthought. It is not well planned, it appears to have been shoehorned in.

Even with what you said, it doesn't make sense. Employee roles can't be filled with player sims cause they wanted to focus on the management aspect more ... how is it focusing on the management aspect more if you can't hire the employees you want. It is managements job to hire and manage their employees.

Dine Out is good for what it is, an eating experience. Dine Out is not good for running an actual restaurant.

I actually agree, but they did push the management angle. It really just shows to the limits on what they can provide with GP's.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    pixiejuice wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in a (very long and tedious) workaround, I figured something out. The selection of six sims does not include any sim who is currently loaded on the lot. So I invited over each of the sims I didn't want. (I used MCCC summon, to be quicker, but if you don't use mods you could just call them on the phone... if your sim happens to know them.)

When they arrived, the available hires showed six new sims that I didn't want, lol! So I called those ones over, too. Six new sims that I didn't want. Call them over. Again. Again.

In the end, I had like 40 sims on my lot but the guy I wanted finally showed up on the hiring panel for chef. Geez! :s

This is pretty clever! It may be a little tedious but it does work- lol. In the end I never much cared who was chef. I considered part of running the business to be increasing my chef's skill through training and praise, same for the other two posts but I like this idea should I ever decide otherwise. I definitely get the frustration OP if you are trying to open a five star restaurant from the start and end up with a chef with no skill.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    pixiejuice wrote: »

I will be trying this if/when I have a sim who wants to own a lot.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member

I waited five years for restaurants in TS3, which never actually happened (store set was the worst) and then two years in TS4...I donSo, I love TS2 but it needed tweaks[/b].

No argument there. Tried running a restaurant a couple of times just to shake things up in 2. Can't say I really invested much time in it. It wasn't like the other businesses and had its fair share of grinding. Restaurants always seemed liked they went above and beyond in the headache area.

Probably true to real life. I don't run one. So I don't know.

Actually can't say I ever cared for running businesses in the game. Too time consuming and never enough time. I play a lot of families and families offer their own level of grinding.

Sure there could be a happy medium though. Maybe some day. *fingers crossed*

The dining out experience in 3 is just not there. Agreed on that one. Crumplebottom always ruined it in 2, and I haven't gotten the pack for it in 4. If crumplebottom didn't exist in 2, I probably would have gone out on more dates. Same goes for social hording in 4. Im still waiting. Guess that's my 5 + 2 years for me. And counting.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I can live with not being able to run restaurants properly in 3 (because it's not a part I'm interested in, running a business; to be honest it sounds very RPG to me), but they simply should have implemented the feature where sims automatically sit together when dining (out or at home). In that respect I think the Sims 4 concept might be the most suitable for me personally. I would expect the staff to be fully skilled though. With one or two Basil Fawltys/Manuels there.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I like it as a restaurant for my Sims to go eat. I didn't bother trying to run one because I heard so many negative things in the beginning.
    +1

I use the restaurants to bolster relationships between sims. It's the only place they'll keep seated together.

• Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I have been ok with Dine Out from both perspectives...having my Sims eat out and managing a restaurant. The main thing that has disappointed & bugged me from the beginning is that the game forces you to start fresh with employees with no skills. Maybe okay for your first restaurant. But when I open a 2nd or 3rd restaurant, my Sims shouldn't be starting with employees with no skills. I've found a work around by putting skilled Sims in a house & marking them as 'played' & evicting them so they're 'not in a world'. I then delete everyone else 'not in the world' except them & the skilled Sims show up as being able to be hired. The drawback is that if a Sim is level 10 cooking, the game still knocks the skill level down a bit....but it's much better than having 0 cooking/mixology. I then move the household back into a home and don't play them, & leave them mark as 'played'.
    I guess the point is that it's crazy to have to go through all that trouble to hire your own Sims; IMO that should have been built into the game. Hearing the concept, 'You Rule' & having a limitation of who I can hire, is bit lackluster. However, that's the only drawback. I play with restaurants and make it work. I also like that they didn't do the same thing with Restaurants as they did with Retail, where Retail employees do absolutely nothing but stand there and you're unable to move your household to a new home/lot without losing perk points/rewards at the retail shop. At least with restaurant ownership, employees work & your household can move freely without losing progress.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top