Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Top loader versus front loader

Comments

• loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    also if you would live in the town i live in the town i live in as ban the right to use a clothes line outside
    You must live in a very strange place.
    In my city, outside clothes lines are expected.
    I used to live in a tiny flat, and still had a tiny clothesline just outside the back door.
    People who live in high rise places, have folding coltheshorses for drying their clothes on balconies, that is if the balcony doesn't already have a clothes line.

I also live very close to a super experimental eco village, which is all about water recycling, so that the water used in the home can be clean enough to go back into the waterway.

It's illegal to build a new house here, and not include rainwater storage. Yep, rain water storage is manditory for all new houses. Rain water is used for laundry, flushing the toilet, and watering the garden.

And speaking of watering the garden, we've got some pretty strict water restrictions.
    Such as you can't wash your car in your driveway with a hose. But using a bucket is ok.
    There are certain times of the day at certain times of the year, where you can get a fine for watering your lawn during the day. Sprinklers can get you fined, But you can water your garden bed using a bucket or watering can.

Grey water recycling is encoraged.

It's pretty eco friendly here, your town sounds like it's an eco enemy. No clothes lines? Madness!

This is our patriotic duty:
    1939eb5d786a92de51b240505ababccf.jpg

If you've never swung on a hills hoist, then you haven't lived!

There are states in the US that allow home owners associations, condo associations, etc. to ban clothes lines.

If you live in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, or Wisconsin (according to the Times), your homeowners' association cannot prohibit a clothesline.

This was from an article in 2013 so not sure in which states, if any, it is still banned.

http://loweringthebar.net/2013/08/washington-may-join-19-other-right-to-dry-states.html

Yes, there are Home Owners Associations (HOAs) in America that will fine you (real money) for having the wrong colored curtains, an unapproved paint color on your house, shampoo bottles in the bathroom window, or even what kind of lawn decor you can have. Many can even repossess your house for continued violations, even if your mortgage is paid in full.

When I was house shopping, my realtor was sending me listings of nice homes, but they were in HOA subdivisions. I told him to not send me any listing with an HOA, because I would paint my house neon orange, and stack tires on the front lawn just to spite them. :D

I'm reminded of this episode of the X Files :D
  • JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    Personally, I wouldn't mind see both types of washers/dryers in the game (especially since it's suppose to be eco-themed).
    Either a pair of front loading electric units (or a preferred combo unit) for our average sims and a pair of muscle powered ones for our hipster sims. For the latter, I really like the white and blue models pictured by @Movotti.
  • reiureyareiureya Posts: 80 Member
    0.0 Personally, I like the all in one washers and dryers. You don't take the clothes out and there are two different places for detergent and softener for drying clothes. I'm not sure they use less water or power, but you know they could make solar powered washers and dryers. I mean there are ovens that are solar powered. There is still the the possibility for them to add line drying devices too and having the washers separate too. However, that won't work well in San Myshuno, unless you have a park that you can place public line dryers.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    reiureya wrote: »
    0.0 Personally, I like the all in one washers and dryers. You don't take the clothes out and there are two different places for detergent and softener for drying clothes. I'm not sure they use less water or power, but you know they could make solar powered washers and dryers. I mean there are ovens that are solar powered. There is still the the possibility for them to add line drying devices too and having the washers separate too. However, that won't work well in San Myshuno, unless you have a park that you can place public line dryers.

Or a balcony?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    yeah, but there aren't many apartments with balconies. We aren't allowed to edit the outer part of the apartment buildings either :'(
  • GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    edited April 2017
    Front loader, because that's what I'm used to.
    Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
  • hannaht413hannaht413 Posts: 95 Member
    If we do get laundry, I hope they include a stacked washer/dryer set, whether its top and front or front and front.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    You forgot: A thread for those who can't figure out where the missing sock went? :D

Edit: I prefer stacked, saves space
    $_20.JPG

I feel sorry for the poor little one underneath - can it take the weight? what if something happened and the top one fell down?

On a separate note, I can imagine this section of the forum being overrun with pictures of washing machines. :D
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

home-design.jpg

Seriously?! :D ....... :open_mouth: .......... :D
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    I prefer laundry pods. Just throw it in and go. Now we just need dryer pods.

ETA:You left out those who might want stacked units.

STACKED UNITS PLEASE <3
  • lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited April 2017

Where I live, apartments usually have a clothes line inside the laundry room or at least a drying rack.

Back to the thread, I personally would like to have both options (top-loader for washing machines and front-loader for dryers) like in The Sims 3, and maybe an front-loader washing machine and an all-in-one front-loader washer and dryer too.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    and softener
    why would you waste your money on that?
    There was a study done a couple of years ago, that discovered that fabric softner is a waste of money, it doesn't do anything, other than scent your laundry. Adding vinegar does more to soften fabric, and it's better for the envoronment, and it saves you money.

There is still the the possibility for them to add line drying devices too and having the washers separate too. However, that won't work well in San Myshuno, unless you have a park that you can place public line dryers.
    These work inside and out.
    Clotheshorse.jpg
    A lot of peole in small apartments here use them on their balcony, or inside an open window, or in winter, with the heating on, they dry pretty fast inside.

There's also this option if you have a larger balcony
    _web-AustralStandarda.jpg
    They can be wall mounted, fold up when in use, and down when the laundry is done, and you want to use the space for something else.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    >.> I was just saying that they usually have containers for both detergent and softener. There are still people who use both. I never said I use both XD. It's just how the combo washers at the college I went to were designed. You had a channel for one and a channel for the other. Usually, some nice person had loaded all of the machines with enough softener to last a month. I'm not sure why, but I wasn't going to argue. I'm clothes smelled like an ocean breeze for a whole year.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    You forgot: A thread for those who can't figure out where the missing sock went? :D

Edit: I prefer stacked, saves space
    $_20.JPG

I feel sorry for the poor little one underneath - can it take the weight? what if something happened and the top one fell down?

On a separate note, I can imagine this section of the forum being overrun with pictures of washing machines. :D

I had one of these years ago. When emptying the washer, raising the lid would magnetically hold, so you could throw them into the dryer. Worked very well and definitely space saving. Good for people with back problems, LOL.

Yes, it can take the weight, no worries of the top falling down :D Kids can't leave laundry on top of the washer and dryer this way, no cluttering allowed ;)
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    edited April 2017
    Jase wrote: »
    Personally, I would prefer a washer/dryer combo unit along with the option for it to go under the countertop (like a dishwasher). I tend to build smaller homes and this would be the prefect space saver. :)

Exactly!
    Reading all these crazy "and over the top" fantasy/whishes from some give's me a headache. After all THIS IS JUST A GAME! Don't make it any more complicated than it is already. A simple washer would be just fine and enough for a game full of bugs like Sims4 - SMH*

Post edited by LuvMySimz on
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited April 2017
    I think it would be quite sad if the one new feature allowed in this stuff pack was laundry, when you think of all the things that are more directly connected with ecological lifestyle, like reduction in bills from having solar panels, or better plant quality from using a composter or compost toilet.
  • dogboy678dogboy678 Posts: 200 Member
    edited April 2017
    I think the eco friendly theme is ruining laundry.(and vise versa)since we can't have bleach now because it s not very eco friendly. I'm sure they still add it. It just the themes don't go to together so I'm sure by the end of this we'll see a shift in themes.
  • RubyxAngelRubyxAngel Posts: 333 Member
    I would like it if they had a typical looking washing machine in the game...at least these are the ones I see at peoples homes and it would be more relatable.

indesit_win_100-500x500.jpg

and whilst they are at it, it would be cool to have a rotary line in the game, again this is what most homes have in gardens. I have never known anyone to have a clothes drying machine at home....most people use airing cupboards and washing lines. It would be nice to have them, again making the game more relatable.

Rotary-Clothes-Line-TY-40-.jpg

6a010536c62933970c0115707ef207970c-320wi
  • BooV7227BooV7227 Posts: 282 Member
    edited April 2017
    If they are worried about animations, they can use an edit of the tree pruning/harvesting animation for hanging...
    tCTe03l.png
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    @RubyxAngel
    What part of the world are you from?
    I'm assuming you're not from the US, due to the lack of popularity of driers where you are, I'm from Australia, and what you posted is similar to what we have here.
    RubyxAngel wrote: »
    and whilst they are at it, it would be cool to have a rotary line in the game, again this is what most homes have in gardens.
    The one in my back yard looks like this
    THough, mine doesn't have the attached child.
    It is the same style as what my parents have in their back yard too.

I have never known anyone to have a clothes drying machine at home
    People have them where I live, but they aren't used all that often, only in the wettest part of winter, for many people, just a few weeks each year.
    I've realised that I have one on the back varandah, it's been there for nearly 2 years, and has never been used.
    most people use airing cupboards and washing lines. It would be nice to have them, again making the game more relatable.
    We dont' have airing cupboards.
    A lot of people here have these for indoor and varandah/balcony drying
    abcbdd72-be6d-4488-8f32-aa323c5caa9e.jpg

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited April 2017
    I have a combo and i'm very pleased with it. Even though i'm in one pretty sunny country (Greece) The dryer has saved me. We have too much humidity in winter , my balcony is facing west , so it takes ages for clothes to dry on the clothes line. And with a baby and a toddler/preschooler laundry needs to be done as fast as possible. Not to mention that I don't have to iron most of the stuff, as dryer doesn't wrinkle them that much (unless I overload it) plus it kills loads of germs (plenty of germs and dust on the clothesline as i live right next to a quite busy avenue)
    So i'd love to see a combo (that can go under the counter but not necessarily) and two pairs of front loaders a cheap and an expensive one that are stackable. Also a small stand alone clothes line for apartments (though drying clothes inside is very very unhealthy, as it produces too much humidity that turns into mold) and a big rotating one with interactions to "swing from" for children and toddlers- we don't have those here, but i've always liked them. If this were too much to ask for and i'd have to pick , i'd go with the combo and a standard clothesline.

ETA: eco stuff was my second choice. Because of laundry. If laundry wasn't mentioned , it would have been third. Though i would love to see solar panels making a comeback
    Movotti wrote: »
    @RubyxAngel
    What part of the world are you from?
    I'm assuming you're not from the US, due to the lack of popularity of driers where you are, I'm from Australia, and what you posted is similar to what we have here.
    RubyxAngel wrote: »
    and whilst they are at it, it would be cool to have a rotary line in the game, again this is what most homes have in gardens.
    The one in my back yard looks like this
    THough, mine doesn't have the attached child.
    It is the same style as what my parents have in their back yard too.

I have never known anyone to have a clothes drying machine at home
    People have them where I live, but they aren't used all that often, only in the wettest part of winter, for many people, just a few weeks each year.
    I've realised that I have one on the back varandah, it's been there for nearly 2 years, and has never been used.
    most people use airing cupboards and washing lines. It would be nice to have them, again making the game more relatable.
    We dont' have airing cupboards.
    A lot of people here have these for indoor and varandah/balcony drying
    abcbdd72-be6d-4488-8f32-aa323c5caa9e.jpg

Hey, I'm from England! We also use those drying racks in the picture you showed, I actually use one in my airing cupboard. They are so useful as airing cupboards are where the boilers are placed so when they heat up (for water or radiators) they heat the clothes, so it's always warm there.

I have noticed England and Australia have a lot in common, apart from being opposite sides of the world :p
    Except I wish I lived in Australia... so much warmer! ...and you can hang your clothes outside all year long :D
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I like top-loading washing machines, because that is what I am used to. We have an HE top-loader at our house. I live in the Pacific Northwest region of the US, which is just too humid for clotheslines most of the year (it sometimes rains even in the summer, and we don't get many days off, so if it rains on a weekend, using an outdoor clothesline would not be an option). In the 1970's and earlier, when only one income could support a family, and more women were housewives, we had more clotheslines. During the winter, fall and spring, it can rain every day for weeks on end (not necessarily a heavy downpour, but a gentle mist). Not all bacteria is good, and my husband tends to be susceptible to bacterial respiratory infections with accompanying asthma, so we like the heat of the dryer to help disinfect the clothes.

By the way, I can vouch for the strictness of homeowners associations here: I lived in a condo before I got married, and soon after I moved in, when I changed a window for a more energy efficient one, the HOA made me get new blinds because they only allowed white, off-white/ivory, or beige window hangings, and with the new window, the beige blinds I had looked brown from the outside. Oh well, the old beige blinds that came with the condo when I moved in were ugly anyway.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
    I like top-loading washing machines, because that is what I am used to. We have an HE top-loader at our house. I live in the Pacific Northwest region of the US, which is just too humid for clotheslines most of the year (it sometimes rains even in the summer, and we don't get many days off, so if it rains on a weekend, using an outdoor clothesline would not be an option). In the 1970's and earlier, when only one income could support a family, and more women were housewives, we had more clotheslines. During the winter, fall and spring, it can rain every day for weeks on end (not necessarily a heavy downpour, but a gentle mist). Not all bacteria is good, and my husband tends to be susceptible to bacterial respiratory infections with accompanying asthma, so we like the heat of the dryer to help disinfect the clothes.

By the way, I can vouch for the strictness of homeowners associations here: I lived in a condo before I got married, and soon after I moved in, when I changed a window for a more energy efficient one, the HOA made me get new blinds because they only allowed white, off-white/ivory, or beige window hangings, and with the new window, the beige blinds I had looked brown from the outside. Oh well, the old beige blinds that came with the condo when I moved in were ugly anyway.

It rains very often, throughout summer in England haha most of us don't have dryer machines (i have never seen one) we still hop out and hang our clothes as soon as the suns out then run out again as soon as it starts raining lol thats why airing cupboards are so useful. Interesting to here your perspective and where you are from :) I'm looking forward to sims making eco/energy efficient changes.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    It's quite eye opening to see how other regions of the world do their laundry lol. I just assumed much of the world had dryers since it's not a new technology. All homes are fitted with them here. I wouldn't even know what to do with an airing cupboard or even what that looks like.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png