Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Top loader versus front loader

Comments

• DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    OP, sorry if this is jumping ahead of the current conversation, but will there be a thread about the dirty clothes and how we want our sims to handle them?

Do we want hampers to automatically collect the clothes when our sims change for bed, work, shower (or accidental peeing of themselves)?
    Do we want to manually pick up the clothes on the floor? If so, could dirty clothes left on the floor for too long become a "dirty laundry bush"? Would our sims be able to harvest the bush for concentrated, dried soap? Then could our sims make scented soaps or lotions out of the harvested plants and sell them via inventory, GTW retail, or CL tables? Would sims be able to use the soaps they create for positive or negative mood lets when showering or bathing? Maybe sims (including children and teens) add them to pools, hot tubs, waterside, or fountains to play in? Toddlers could play in the suds on the floor when the washer breaks!
    What about when our sims visit say a restaurant and they automatically change into the appropriate attire? Does the outfit they were wearing go into their inventory? Is is then automatically considered dirty laundry? Will they feel uncomfortable after awhile because they have "dirty laundry" in their inventory while they are at the restaurant, bowling alley, bar, bluffs, etc? Also, will other sims around them react to your sim, and the stinky clothes they are carrying around with them?

Is there a possibility that either "good" or "evil" snuggle bear can randomly appear from the dryer? Maybe "good" bears could stop monsters under bed and nightmares for toddlers. They could also "magically" pick up dirty laundry. "Evil" bears could cause sims to be mean when they are near the bear and "magically" scatter dirty laundry around the house. Either bear could be sold by the player to avoid any unwanted consequences in their play style.

I know that you were probably going to consider these things once decisions are made about the type of washers and soap options, so I apologize for jumping ahead. I am afraid of leaving out the little details regarding the laundry and want to make sure we as a community strive to get this right. :s
    One more thing. If we also get the option for our sims to was clothes either a special sink/tub or bathtub, and a clothes line, Could our sims also have an option to hang in the bathroom? You know, for the sims in our lives that cannot afford a washer, too poor to afford a clothes line, so they have to hang their underwear, socks, shirts and pants over the shower and towel racks.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    I've got a good idea. Why not give everybody Laundry as a Patch and get rid of it so we can concentrate on the really interesting things we could do with an Eco stuffpack?

Or you just vote for what you want and other people could vote for what they want. There was no side poll asking us which feature we were hoping for when we voted "Eco" (it was my #2 vote). We don't actually have any idea what the Simmers all over the world who could vote on this, almost none of whom post here, had in mind. Discussion here is well and truly split between people wanting laundry, people excited for solar panels and composting etc., and people (well, me) wondering if we could get a bit of both and call it "Clean Eco Stuff" or something. You could be in the majority for all we know.

It was my first vote but I now "can't see the wood for the trees" as the saying goes.

I am a person of "the rest of the world"

I'm now wondering if there are more people in the rest of the world who are playing than in the us. I just started the game up at approx 3.30pm (uk) and there are over 57, 000 players currently online. Much more than when toddlers got added (51,000 and seems to prove that Sims 4 is getting more popular as it goes along.

It would be interesting if anyone in the us could check at the equivalent time to see what the difference is.

I intended by that the non-English-speaking world - South America (it's not a time zone thing), much of Europe, Russia, Asia (that's a lot of people, Asia!) ... Not to mention all the many English-speaking people who don't go out of their way to come to a game-specific forum to talk about the game. I would never even begin to assume that our concerns and interests here are representative. Asia doesn't even *have* a Sims forum, judging by the language dropdown.

We, in the uk do not have a choice. We are lumped in with the us. We probably have more in common, thinking wise, with Australia and New Zealand but this is the larger site with all the news, so most congregate here.

It's true, folk from the UK would be better off on the AU&NZ forum, you get us, we get you. Maybe if you all came for a visit, it'd get more busy over there. Then we could make jokes about seppos together. B)

Or maybe even something like this -- especially if it talks >:)

home-design.jpg
    And when it goes wrong, your socks get flushed!

If laundry is to be added to an eco friendly pack, then this has to be added too
    bike-washing-machine4.jpg
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    @stilljustme2 ROFL, no, pleeezz no more talking toilets!

I had no clue they have a washer/dryer all in one :o I do like that though! Definitely a space saver also.

I hope they come in a few different styles to choose from.

They're fairly popular in Europe -- I watch shows like "House Hunters International" and see them in kitchens. It would actually be good for small homes and apartments as well.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    You forgot: A thread for those who can't figure out where the missing sock went? :D

Edit: I prefer stacked, saves space
    $_20.JPG

For real space savings, a combination washer and dryer:

3991096-Adelphi-Suite-s-got-a-washer-dryer-combo--laundry-time-0.jpg

Man her arm looks weird and disjointed in that photo. It looks like she's an amputee and a small child is hiding behind her and pointing.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    Personally, I would prefer a washer/dryer combo unit along with the option for it to go under the countertop (like a dishwasher). I tend to build smaller homes and this would be the prefect space saver. :)
    OP Please continue these valuable discussions. The Art styles definitely resemble Laundry rooms as I suspected they would. What I have seen from the "Laundry Crowd" is there is no general consensus about which washers and dryers to use, and how exactly the stuff pack should handle how laundry should be implemented.

I think we need to keep our suggestions going so that laundry can be "real" and entertaining in the Sims 4. This project may at least let us influence the design of the feature and gives us a chance to tell the team ideas and help brainstorm logical solutions to the annoying problems with laundry that have plagued sims previously so that "We Can Make Laundry Great" (because it obviously is one of if not the main focus of the pack).

After reading through the threads of simmers that voted for this because of laundry, they cannot seem to unite on issues regarding Laundry. This is a stuff pack, and as such, I am not sure the entire budget should be spent making every single make and model for the machines (especially when you think of cost of animations for all of them).

Please keep these threads alive.

Thanks
  • Tanja1986Tanja1986 Posts: 1,237 Member
    edited April 2017
    In regards to liquids, soaps, detergents etc. I would never use any of the harsh chemical stuff in my laundry. Our skin is an important organ and it gets right in through the skin. And stuff like perfume, fragrance is just not good for you. I usually do my own laundry detergent. Either with an Organic base or I do my own with Baking Soda, White Vinegar and some organic fragrance oil. The clothes are amazing and I don't smell that toxic stuff anymore. I could vomit every time I pass the laundry section in stores. Same goes for any kind of perfume.
  • ShampuruShampuru Posts: 90 Member
    Front loading. Top loaders are the bane of my existence, always going off balance walking about 3 feet.
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Since its eco themed I really want the option of having my sims wash clothes in a bucket with a wash board and then hang drying them. My husband and I did this for a whole summer during our extended honeymoon where we traveled around in a camper. It's actually kind of fun, makes you appreciate you're clothes more and is great exercise!

I'd like washing machines too, but I really hope they add a hand washing option.
    There's always this sort of washing machine:
    mc_w050_4.jpg
    It's eco friendly!!

Or this
    73de267b8105623247459946f1ec4f72.jpg

Or this
    companion_ezywash.jpg

Or this
    c945aa598dc8ce6b1d5b8b76d90d6943.jpg

Or this
    yirego_personal_washing_machine_j.jpg.662x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

Or this
    1st+Washing+Mc.jpg

Or this
    indra-washing-machine.jpeg

Or........
    The-Bike-Washing-Machine.jpg

There's plenty of eco friendly washing machines that are powered by your muscles!
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    @Movotti even if its an eco living stuffpack and laundry is in this stuffpack i would prefer my sims to have an automatic washer like these models

k20qdt.jpg

2uz4712.jpg

xb0qi9.jpg

2hwp4dt.jpg

2zs38kx.jpg

nbtdoy.jpg

2zgdf1c.jpg

a2ge29.jpg

s1i1b9.jpg

121fvhw.jpg

2zyws2b.jpg
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    @friendlysimmers
    I don't get how you think they fit with an Eco Friendly stuff pack
    Perfect for a domestic chores pack, but there's nothing eco friendly about those ancient wrecks, they're eco enemies.
    Movotti wrote: »
    @friendlysimmers
    I don't get how you think they fit with an Eco Friendly stuff pack
    Perfect for a domestic chores pack, but there's nothing eco friendly about those ancient wrecks, they're eco enemies.

Absolutely, at least a modern front loader would be energy efficeint.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I'm good with front loading units and/or a wash basin/clothesline. Or even the smaller all-in-ones. I have sim families that could use all three. Can't really use a clothesline in an apartment. I have built RV's and campers that could use the all-in-ones, especially if they fit like a dishwasher under a cabinet.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    even if the title says eco living stuffpack not everyone plays the sims4 the same so in my case and for my game play if washers and dryers are in the eco living stuffpack i will chose an automatic washer and dryer, and also if you would live in the town i live in the town i live in as ban the right to use a clothes line outside every simmers that plays the sims4 have diffrent play styles no one plays the same
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • SkyeChimesSkyeChimes Posts: 376 Member
    As someone has pointed out in another thread, in order to have one thing you must have the opposite for contrast - I don't think we need a plethora of every conceivable design of washer/dryer/combo/robot - however it wouldn't be any fun for your super Eco friendly sim to have their Eco -friendly washing device and not be able to explain to their neighbor how their non-Eco friendly washing device is bad. Plus how can something be labeled "Eco -friendly" unless there is a NOT Eco friendly version of the same/similar item, without a contrast it is just neutral and doesn't require a specific label.

Basically from a realistic expectation standpoint I could see having 2 standard square-ish washing machines and dryer sets, one would be modern and Eco friendly and the other one would be older and cheaper but not very Eco-friendly. I do also see a clothes line being included as well as 1 hamper. Which, if any one cares to recall, is exactly what we got when laundry was introduced in Sims 3 Ambitions. All the other laundry items came with other packs or from the store. (http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Laundry_Objects). Including the link for citation. I could also see a hand washing basin potentially being included in this pack but it would probably depend on the item vote and be a trade off.

Keep in mind the more recolors/skins of similar items you include the less space there will be for other things - and there are a lot of really cool ideas going around. Given the apparent high demand for laundry and the fact that it was the main feature actually listed in the theme description, it probably does deserve top billing, but asking for 15 kinds of different devices manual and automatic to wash clothes might be pushing it for content in a stuff pack. However at the same time, I Imagine most players would be pretty frustrated if we only got one type of washer/dryer set as it would not fit every or even most home aethestics for various sim households and we have mostly seen 2 variants of every unique household stuff pack item in the past. Two hot tubs (one stone, one wooden), two round Buffett tables (one glass and one tablecloth covered), two movie screens (one wall hanging, one standing) etc. now there are exceptions, bowling alley and ice cream maker come to mind - but there were a lot of other things in those packs and not a lot of reason for multiple styles of that particular item. Whereas we can clearly see there is demand for some variety here.
    also if you would live in the town i live in the town i live in as ban the right to use a clothes line outside
    You must live in a very strange place.
    In my city, outside clothes lines are expected.
    I used to live in a tiny flat, and still had a tiny clothesline just outside the back door.
    People who live in high rise places, have folding coltheshorses for drying their clothes on balconies, that is if the balcony doesn't already have a clothes line.

I also live very close to a super experimental eco village, which is all about water recycling, so that the water used in the home can be clean enough to go back into the waterway.

It's illegal to build a new house here, and not include rainwater storage. Yep, rain water storage is manditory for all new houses. Rain water is used for laundry, flushing the toilet, and watering the garden.

And speaking of watering the garden, we've got some pretty strict water restrictions.
    Such as you can't wash your car in your driveway with a hose. But using a bucket is ok.
    There are certain times of the day at certain times of the year, where you can get a fine for watering your lawn during the day. Sprinklers can get you fined, But you can water your garden bed using a bucket or watering can.

Grey water recycling is encoraged.

It's pretty eco friendly here, your town sounds like it's an eco enemy. No clothes lines? Madness!

This is our patriotic duty:
    1939eb5d786a92de51b240505ababccf.jpg

If you've never swung on a hills hoist, then you haven't lived!

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,810 Member
    edited April 2017
    also if you would live in the town i live in the town i live in as ban the right to use a clothes line outside
    I used to live in a tiny flat, and still had a tiny clothesline just outside the back door.
    People who live in high rise places, have folding coltheshorses for drying their clothes on balconies, that is if the balcony doesn't already have a clothes line.

I also live very close to a super experimental eco village, which is all about water recycling, so that the water used in the home can be clean enough to go back into the waterway.

It's illegal to build a new house here, and not include rainwater storage. Yep, rain water storage is manditory for all new houses. Rain water is used for laundry, flushing the toilet, and watering the garden.

And speaking of watering the garden, we've got some pretty strict water restrictions.
    Such as you can't wash your car in your driveway with a hose. But using a bucket is ok.
    There are certain times of the day at certain times of the year, where you can get a fine for watering your lawn during the day. Sprinklers can get you fined, But you can water your garden bed using a bucket or watering can.

It's pretty eco friendly here, your town sounds like it's an eco enemy. No clothes lines? Madness!

There are states in the US that allow home owners associations, condo associations, etc. to ban clothes lines.

If you live in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, or Wisconsin (according to the Times), your homeowners' association cannot prohibit a clothesline.

This was from an article in 2013 so not sure in which states, if any, it is still banned.

http://loweringthebar.net/2013/08/washington-may-join-19-other-right-to-dry-states.html

Seems there are also some states that frown upon rainwater collection.

Nevada
    Nevada has some harsh water laws that are based on prior appropriation usage. To collect rainwater, one must get permission by the state and prove there is a beneficial use. Examples include irrigation, mining, recreation, commercial/industrial and municipal uses.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/is-rainwater-harvesting-legal-in-your-state-us/61586739

So not so strange after all.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited April 2017

There are states in the US that allow home owners associations, condo associations, etc. to ban clothes lines.

If you live in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, or Wisconsin (according to the Times), your homeowners' association cannot prohibit a clothesline.

This was from an article in 2013 so not sure in which states, if any, it is still banned.

http://loweringthebar.net/2013/08/washington-may-join-19-other-right-to-dry-states.html

Yes, there are Home Owners Associations (HOAs) in America that will fine you (real money) for having the wrong colored curtains, an unapproved paint color on your house, shampoo bottles in the bathroom window, or even what kind of lawn decor you can have. Many can even repossess your house for continued violations, even if your mortgage is paid in full.

When I was house shopping, my realtor was sending me listings of nice homes, but they were in HOA subdivisions. I told him to not send me any listing with an HOA, because I would paint my house neon orange, and stack tires on the front lawn just to spite them. :D
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

So not so strange after all.
    Extremely strange to this dumb aussie.

To me, a home without a clothesline isn't a home at all! It's like a home without a kitchen, or without a bathroom.
    I've got a hills hoist in my back yard. I only use it once a week, but every day a magpie comes and sits right at the top, and sings.
    And I've had one do this on the handle of the clothesline
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4qZ_lgStw
    Crazy birds.

Yes, there are Home Owners Associations (HOAs) in America that will fine you (real money) for having the wrong colored curtains, an unapproved paint color on your house, shampoo bottles in the bathroom window, or even what kind of lawn decor you can have. Many can even repossess your house for continued violations, even if your mortgage is paid in full.

When I was house shopping, my realtor was sending me listings of nice homes, but they were in HOA subdivisions. I told him to not send me any listing with an HOA, because I would paint my house neon orange, and stack tires on the front lawn just to spite them. :D

Most HOA's are also very strict about the amount of cars you can have at your property, and no, I am not just saying a front yard full of cars on blocks, but actually won't allow more than 2 fully running, registered, and insured vehicles on the property. I live in AZ, water is not a huge problem where I live, but I think it is because most people prefer the dirt/desert natural landscaping. Some people have clothes lines, some don't, but definitely not banned. We have the perfect conditions for solar, however most people cannot afford it, and if you live in a Modular Home, solar panels cannot be put on the roof anyway.

Love the tire idea, BTW. Personally I would like to have a toilet in the front yard shoots water (Led lighting at night with different colors) into pond with KOI fish in it, but hey we all have our own styles.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Front loading machines are more commonly the 'HE' (high efficiency) models. They do make top loaders as well that are 'HE' but they are slowly disappearing.

I'd vote for front loading machines, but I would like the option to stack them. One of the biggest reasons to get a front loading washer/dryer (aside from the ease of transferring clothes) is their minimal footprint. I opted for drawers under my rl front loaders, but if space was an issue I would have stacked them instead.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    OP Please continue these valuable discussions. The Art styles definitely resemble Laundry rooms as I suspected they would. What I have seen from the "Laundry Crowd" is there is no general consensus about which washers and dryers to use, and how exactly the stuff pack should handle how laundry should be implemented.

I think we need to keep our suggestions going so that laundry can be "real" and entertaining in the Sims 4. This project may at least let us influence the design of the feature and gives us a chance to tell the team ideas and help brainstorm logical solutions to the annoying problems with laundry that have plagued sims previously so that "We Can Make Laundry Great" (because it obviously is one of if not the main focus of the pack).

After reading through the threads of simmers that voted for this because of laundry, they cannot seem to unite on issues regarding Laundry. This is a stuff pack, and as such, I am not sure the entire budget should be spent making every single make and model for the machines (especially when you think of cost of animations for all of them).

Please keep these threads alive.

Thanks

I wouldn't mind seeing two different models of laundry machines -- an old, beat up model that would be cheaper but prone to more accidents (breakage, overflowing soap, dryer fires, etc.) and a sleeker top of the line model that wouldn't have the issues of the older ones but would cost a lot more. Maybe add in the ability to upgrade for water saving features, improved reliability, etc.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    "As someone has pointed out in another thread, in order to have one thing you must have the opposite for contrast - I don't think we need a plethora of every conceivable design of washer/dryer/combo/robot - however it wouldn't be any fun for your super Eco friendly sim to have their Eco -friendly washing device and not be able to explain to their neighbor how their non-Eco friendly washing device is bad. "
    @SkyeChimes your impeccable logic has ruined my funny. I wish to make sweeping statements about "no dryers allowed in an eco pack" and alas, now I cannot. <<snif>> :'(