Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[Eco-Friendly Stuff] New GAMEPLAY object: Composter

dangerbac-5.jpg

I would love to have a Compost Bin for my garden!

You could put (spoiled) food or unneeded harvestables in it to create a super fertilizer that makes the plants grow really fast, raise their value and permit weeds to grow.
a256aFi.gif
Post edited by FreezerBunnyCowplant on

Comments

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Composting interests me too. Do you have ideas how it would work? I think in TS2 they used to put leaves in it, so considering that it might be more useful if it came in a later pack.
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited April 2017
    My idea:
    You could put harvestables that you don't need in it in order to create better fertilizer for higher value plants
    +you could increase the overall value of the plant that you use the super fertilizer on
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    You could put your leftovers in it instead of the garbage bin, too. (Where I live, it's collected by the city that way, and we can pick up the compost in the the spring and summer.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    RetinaStormRetinaStorm Posts: 185 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'd like to see P1010148_md.JPG
    compost-bin.jpg
    greenhouses https://cultivar.com/wp-content/uploads/homepage-VB4P.jpg and solar panels homepage-VB4P.jpg
    Flatplate.png
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Yes please! I like the rustic wooden ones best. I think they suit an eco-friendly pack better than the plastic ones too. I like the suggestions of putting unwanted plants, produce, and food into it to create a super-effective fertiliser that makes a noticable difference to your plants (increasing quality, growth speed, deterring weed growth, etc).

And I'd also really love more build materials for greenhouses, such as:

* more windowed roof pieces with floor cut outs (like the GT dancefloor but less modern and at an angle, I liked the TS3 Greenhouse pieces a lot).
    * A sprinkler system
    * Heat lamps

But I could see these things fitting with a Seasons or Farming theme as well, like, you'd want the greenhouse and heat lamps to keep your plants warm during winter, and you'd want the sprinkler during the dry summer season.
  • Options
    danplayer01danplayer01 Posts: 25 New Member
    I LOVE the idea of composting.
  • Options
    RosenrotNikkiRosenrotNikki Posts: 24 Member
    Yeah!! This sounds very interesting!
  • Options
    tilditildi Posts: 5 New Member
    You could put your leftovers in it instead of the garbage bin, too. (Where I live, it's collected by the city that way, and we can pick up the compost in the the spring and summer.)

It's really cool that your city does that! I wish mine would do something like this.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I think a worm farm is a better idea!

Cos I really want to see toddlers eating worms!!!
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2017
    Funny I was think about it too while brainstorming in the bathroom this morning, so typed it out on discord first. "Eco Living: water catcher, wind generator, and solar panels won't work without seasons probably, so possibly gameplay ideas for Eco living pack are composter, composting toilet, sink garbage disposal, and/or using crafting table to make leaf/Castaway type of furniture." I think you beat me timing wise by like a hour. XD

But I don't know composting toilet, composter, and sink garbage disposal are similar ideas I guess with each other.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

If we do get Pets, maybe we could put in pet waste (dog/cat poop) as well? :o
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    JoseffJoseff Posts: 546 Member
    I love the idea of a composter. It could be something like the higher the quality of the compost, the better and higher the yield in return of crops.
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    In my view the composter is a must-see in a pack with eco living theme. And I don't even think of it as a gameplay feature since they could function basically with the same animation of the regular trash bin, added by an option to recollect it after a while and use it as a fertilizer in plants: quite easy to implement. So we could have the composter AND a new gameplay in theme.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'd love to see the compost bin back and the beehives for honey. I miss collecting honey. My sims used to make tons of money from selling beeswax and perfect honey. Also, with a garden theme they need to bring back canning and that way sims can sell their canned goods at the flea market.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I still think a worm farm is a better concept.

just think of toddlers playing with worms

istock_000007911356xsmall_346x210-jpg-20151023060331.jpg~q75,dx330y198u1r1gg,c--.jpg
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    In my view the composter is a must-see in a pack with eco living theme. And I don't even think of it as a gameplay feature since they could function basically with the same animation of the regular trash bin, added by an option to recollect it after a while and use it as a fertilizer in plants: quite easy to implement. So we could have the composter AND a new gameplay in theme.

Agreed :) I see this as a special trash can... Compost has to be added, of course, but I don't see it as a gameplay object. Would rather have gameplay like making jam from produce at the stove and a flower arrangement station.
  • Options
    ShampuruShampuru Posts: 90 Member

Agreed :) I see this as a special trash can... Compost has to be added, of course, but I don't see it as a gameplay object. Would rather have gameplay like making jam from produce at the stove and a flower arrangement station.

You've read my mind! Canning, Nectar, Flowers! I've been screaming for these things for so long. :D
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Shampuru wrote: »

You've read my mind! Canning, Nectar, Flowers! I've been screaming for these things for so long. :D

Would love to have all that stuff in a Hobby Game Pack (like FreeTime)
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    JaguwarJaguwar Posts: 143 Member
    Uh.... no to animal waste, that is never supposed to go in the compost actually because there's no way to pre-treat it (a composting toilet works by treating human waste BEFORE it goes anywhere near a food source).

LOVING these ideas though. There can be an indoor, kitchen composter for apartment dwellers or those on small lots, and outdoor ones for your house garden. Greenhouses are a natural extension of that. SKYLIGHTS (for less artificial light usage). Although you can technically build both, to some extent with other game packs. Solar panels would be great too, in a variety (3? that should do it, right?)of angled positions, just one square wide by two long. The angle choices is to better fit with a reasonable range of roof angles.

Somebody mentioned a few gameplay ideas that I think would be awesome in a follow-up game pack: a flower station for making arrangements, making jam (I'll add making pickles, preserves, etc as well). These could also expand Get to Work (new careers) and/or Dine Out (new custom-ish menu items with product you or your household have grown yourself).

Also... community gardens. Anyone in the world can plant or harvest there, but there can also be new pranks in the garden LOL That makes me wish cops were a default part of the game though.

"Ma'am, your daughter was caught in the community garden ripping up plants again"

Teehee. It's not ALWAYS pretty, being a Sim! ;)

Anyway, that makes the idea of worm bins even more fun, can use them both for pranks and for improved gardening. Also, toddlers eating worms LOL
  • Options
    RoboElephant0514RoboElephant0514 Posts: 13 New Member
    I love the idea of a compost bin! It would be great to be able to put spoiled food in there too, instead of my sims leaving them in an obscure spot on my lot to turn into trash plants!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I love the idea of a compost bin! It would be great to be able to put spoiled food in there too, instead of my sims leaving them in an obscure spot on my lot to turn into trash plants!

What if you could add the trash plant "fruits" to the compost bin to speed up the composting process? I've usually used them for fish bait (I think catfish are particularly fond of trash fruit) but adding them to compost would be a good possibility.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    I still think a worm farm is a better concept.

just think of toddlers playing with worms

istock_000007911356xsmall_346x210-jpg-20151023060331.jpg~q75,dx330y198u1r1gg,c--.jpg

"Ooh pink spwagetti!"
    "Hmm, this tastes weird"
    *Mum goes outside*
    "Timmy what the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 are you doing!?"
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    Yes!! I definitely agree that a composter is a must for an eco living themed SP. In my opinion, a composter, gardening, solar panels, and wind tubines are the first things that I think of with this theme.
  • Options
    WndblwzWndblwz Posts: 368 Member
    I would love to see a composting toilet with repercussions for improper use or maintenance (foul smells, possible back-splash).
  • Options
    reiureyareiureya Posts: 80 Member
    >.> yeah but composting toilet compost is used for non edible plants. You don't use humure on edible plants. You should also be able to put dead plants into the composter too. That way you don't have to just throw them away.