Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ecological Living - A pic thread for inspiration!

First, I just want to let @SimGuruGraham know he's awesome for being brave enough and caring enough about the community to take on something like this! It's really great to see so many simmers excited, and although Eco Living is my favourite idea from the sample given, I'm happy to have anything from the list - I'm just looking forward to seeing how everything unfolds.

Today, it was nothing but rain at my place, so I spent the day scouring the 'net for images, and collated a few things that I would love to have in my game. Even if Eco-Living doesn't win for this particular stuff pack, I thought some of these things could inspire the art team to think about doing their own versions some time down the track.

I tried to limit the things to mostly just STUFF, i.e. non-gameplay items. Just deco bits and pieces and furniture objects.

All of these pics/ideas I tried to base on the Ecological Living Life Philosophy, which tries to have as little detrimental impact on the environment as possible:
Reduce - cut down on consumption of electricity, water, packaging, gadgets etc
Re-use - instead of throwing it away, think of another way to use it in your own home and garden!
Recycle - turning waste into productive materials for re-use.
If you have pics, please feel welcome to use this thread too.

Reducing BILLS, water, and power:

yunArDa.jpg

Of course, it doesn't rain in Sims 4 yet, but I'd still like water tanks - even if they're just deco at this stage.

If they can be functional (maybe we'll get season before this stuff pack? :)B) ) I would like some upgrade options to water tanks:

1. Connect to washing machine: this would mean that the washing machine uses rain water instead of water pumped from town.
2. Install filter system: this would mean that washing machine grey water is collected, filtered and can be used in WATER SPRINKLERS in the harvest garden.

Whether they pee like a champion or need to take an angry poop ALL our sims have to do it, so let our back-to-nature sims do it knowing they are giving back to their environment :p

All of these are composting toilets. No flushing required. Never clogs. Interactive options could include:
  • Clean - normal animation
  • Empty - (like the toddler potty has to be). Moodlets could include: an uncomfortable one: "Eww, gross, the environment better benefit from this." a confident one: "Mmm, that's ripe, the planet will love it!"

IR8UzZi.jpg

More pics in following posts.

Comments

• AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    edited April 2017
    So far this has been the best idea thread for eco living i've seen in terms of furniture ideas. Really helps paint a good picture of what we could get in a pack like this.

On mobile so i could have skimmed past it, but I'd love to see your fashion ideas for all ages as well as what you'd like to see in terms of gameplay.

Really voted for this concept because i want laundry (hand washing and drying would be cool). Not sure if more modern washers and dryers work or fit into this concept. Seeing all of this would make it seem like an odd combination.

Anyway, love to post.

Edit: Just went back up and seen what you said for washers, sounds interesting on terms of getting it to fit into the pack.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited April 2017
    Love the new planter for harvestables idea!
    Eco-Friendly Stuff definitely needs a new planter! We've never got a new planter in a Pack. (As far as I can tell)
    a256aFi.gif
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    You have some fantastic ideas on this thread. I love the tire planters.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    I have to bump this thread.
    All your pics are awesome, very good ideas, I especially like the pallet furniture. This could also fit the "Starter Stuff pack"
  • rosehrtgirlrosehrtgirl Posts: 252 Member
    Love the snails made out of used tires, great toy for children and toddlers.
  • AndreaTheHeroAndreaTheHero Posts: 578 Member
    Thanks for posting these great ideas for eco living. I really hope they add a lot of recycled decor
  • SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,189 SimGuru
    Thanks for all of these interesting pictures - it's amazing how people can breathe new life into old objects by repurposing them. That oil drum furniture looks particularly unique.
  • SimmerOfEnglandSimmerOfEngland Posts: 194 Member
    I really love the idea of wind turbines in the game. It brings a town to life and I honestly would buy a pack just for that aha
    ⭐ Say what you think, love who you love 'cause you just get so many trips around the sun ⭐

Simmer since 2009
    S4 content owned - GTW, GT, CL, OR, DO, SD, P, V, KR, SS, BS, FS, BN, RG, MH, LP, PP, LP, CK, VG,
    Sims lost:7
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,860 Member
    That suitcase night stand is my favorite, I'd love to have something like that in my home.
  • my2pinksmy2pinks Posts: 11 New Member
    Love these ideas!
  • nity01nity01 Posts: 88 Member
    Such great ideas for furniture, they'll definitely give our sim's houses more character and personality! I'd love to see a Japanese floor dining set too, with floor cushions as dining chairs along with a recycled dining table, I think it would look so cute in the Sims! :)
    I make maxis match CC! Check out my blog here, if you like ----> https://anessasims.tumblr.com/ <3
  • SimalleyaileSimalleyaile Posts: 865 Member
    @Ayumap - in terms of gameplay, I'm assuming the washer and dryer and clothes line may be the featured gameplay items, but I would really LOVE if new furniture could be added to the woodworking bench. It's a basegame item, with a basegame skill, so offering more furniture and/or objects for handiness sims to build could work in a stuff pack. New items were added to the woodworking bench via Outdoor Retreat. The good thing about that, is it wouldn't need any extra animation, just some coding to add the string menus etc.

The pallet furniture in particular lends itself to the woodworking bench. Not much skill would be required to knock some of that furniture together. Certain pieces could be assigned to each level, and the item becomes available for our sims to build, for example:

Level One: Coffee Table
    Level Two: Side Table
    Level Three: Bar Stool
    Level Four: Bar
    Level Five: Living Chair
    Level Six: Sofa/Love Seat
    Level Seven: Bed

Once our sims build it, as well as using it in their own homes, they could also sell it in retail stores. I would love something like that to be considered as an added 'bonus' to gameplay. It will be interesting to see if something like this can be put into a stuff pack.
    @mannanna - yes, I agree. Starter Home stuff with space saving items was my second choice. I think a washer and dryer combo could fit in with that pack idea too.
    edited April 2017
    more pics I gathered yesterday...

side tables, coffee tables, TV stands, wall units, general shelving idea
    cOYB5ij.jpg

would love to have something like this in a single tiled bookcase too.
    This guy needed a pic all of his own. I LOVE him <3 Would buy any pack with the guy in it! I would love him as a Floor Lamp.

4RX96C5.jpg

We can fish for anglers, so I think he's perfect for the game.
    I'm always looking for stuff that will fit on the wall shelves we have in game

SGk5hek.jpg

The light bulbs as vases is so sweet. <3

mp17UCg.jpg
  • MarleyTheWizardMarleyTheWizard Posts: 962 Member
    lots of great inspiration here, and thank you for bringing up the aspects of eco living (besides laundry), gave me lots of ideas.
    Many of the possible features of the eco living theme and starter home, would work better together than in separate packs in my opinion.

an upgrade to what we can make of furniture on the woodworking table would be a dream come true for me and my off the grid sims.
    Being able to sell more/bigger objects at the fleamarket, street sale or yard sale would be nice.

maybe sims could physically sell their old furniture (reuse the purpose of the sheet things at the flea market) or turn them into "woodparts" or something that enables use to make special things at the woodworking table?
    I Sometimes Tweet About The Sims 4
    Gallery ID: MarleyTheWizard
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Love the ideas so far for furniture and clutter.

I'd really like to see the return of dirt spots not tied to garden boxes or planters for gardens. I really think the apple trees and such look really silly in those planters and garden boxes. I'd like to have them be more natural.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • MarleyTheWizardMarleyTheWizard Posts: 962 Member
    I love this concept from Around The Sims 4, especially the can and wooden one
    tumblr_nu7uwcOTtr1rf2gbho1_1280.jpg
    Both as decor or actual functioning planter pot.

tumblr_olowmcLKDk1vhqphqo2_r2_540.png
    These were really cool cc pots made my Servobride(@tumblr), I wish we could have functional planters on tables so we good make "real" greenhouses.

tumblr_ocvmmwf0561s4po2io4_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ocvmmwf0561s4po2io3_1280.jpg

Something like this @Tremayne4260?
    I Sometimes Tweet About The Sims 4
    Gallery ID: MarleyTheWizard
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    @SimGuruGraham

We already have the woodworking table as part of the base game, many of the ideas posted could be easily made with the woodworking bench as could some of these items made from found wood.
    299d931717553e876b335df8d01ac45f.jpg
    fabdd1946857ca5517a28bf403199b5a.jpg
    eco-friendly-driftwood-furniture-ideas-to-try-8.jpg
    c5ebe164c30da9559793661f776bfabc.jpg
    250x250.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    c5bee9448943381a4159298542f76818.jpg
    eco-friendly-driftwood-furniture-ideas-to-try-3-554x738.jpg
    driftwood-mirror.jpg
    bbdd0a3f430b73ae38eaf13a3b6878c0.jpg
    eec68469e78ebaa8c428bcbe95a3a3f4.jpg

It would be really nice if the woodworking table was opened up more for what sims can craft from it besides the few limited items included in the base game.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • MarieSMarieS Posts: 34 Member
    So many great ideas, my favorites are the book lamp and the suitcase side table. This inspired me to make my own collage :)