Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Post your cas/build/buy ideas for eco living here!

Comments

• Options
    Egyptiansunsets3Egyptiansunsets3 Posts: 21 Member
    I would love to see tiny homes and/or tiny living on small lots side by side one another and/or solar panels to reduce electricity costs on sim's homes. In addition, I would love to see greenhouses with overhead sprinklers and have a recycling holding tank for the water used from the overhead sprinklers.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    I would love to see tiny homes and/or tiny living on small lots side by side one another and/or solar panels to reduce electricity costs on sim's homes. In addition, I would love to see greenhouses with overhead sprinklers and have a recycling holding tank for the water used from the overhead sprinklers.

Too bad the starter/small space living didn't make the cut--hopefully they'll combine some of the ideas because I think small space living is sustainable living and that is definitely eco-friendly!

Whatever the team does, I'm sure it'll be a fun stuff pack. I really think the way the devs set up this pack was great marketing. :relaxed:
  • Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    OMG, I had one of those hoodies! I bought two of them in San Francisco when I visited it in the early 90s -- one for me and one for my hubby. I passed mine on to my step-daughter when I 'outgrew' it. Now I wish I had kept it.
  • Options
    SesheteSeshete Posts: 5 New Member
    My list of things:

Build/Buy
    Food and Garden
    • Greywater tanks for the garden.
    • Rainwater collection tanks.
    • Irrigation systems which use the tanks.
    • Dehydrators, canning equipment, and other food preservation methods, possibly. This one might have interaction rather than being simply decorative.
    • Preserved foods don't spoil, or spoil very, very slowly. But it's harder to make them Excellent quality.
    • New edibles, such as jerky, dried fruit, nuts, spelt or einkorn bread, etc.
    • Possibly a new food stall, which sells things like lentil soup.

Power generation
    • Single-house size wind generators.
    • Solar panels.
    • Battery bank and transformer for the wind and solar panel power generators.
    • Water wheels, for houses which are close enough to a stream!
    • Generating your own power affects your bills.

Water Conservation, Power Conservation, etc
    • Plumbing upgrades like low flow shower heads and half-flushes.
    • Plumbing and electrical objects which use less water/power by basic design.
    • Conservation affects the bills.

Decor
    • Macrame items
    • Quilting work
    • Lots of hemp and bamboo and other 'low impact' material used to make the decor.
    • Lots of recycled and repurposed stuff.

Clothing and CAS
    • Hemp clothing
    • Bamboo clothing
    • 'Natural dyes' colours
    • Durable clothing
    • Recycled silk
    • Lots of things make by/inspired by "exotic" cultures.
    • Hairstyles like dreadlocks and microbraids
    • Also hairstyles with handcrafted accessories
    • Also handcrafted accessories (jewelry, scarves, etc)
  • Options
    SesheteSeshete Posts: 5 New Member
    Addition to the water conservation section: laundry and showering and other non-food uses of water can (optionally) use the greywater and/or rainwater tanks.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    TheSimer wrote: »

Great, now i want one of these hoodies in real life

Same. Why did I do this to us!? They look so snuggy! :D

I've got a teal coloured woollen one I got from Primark several years ago. It has the pocket in the front too.

I NEEEEED!!! I keep seeing people wearing them but I never see them for sale.

This is what mine looks like.
    244r4mq.jpg

I MUST FIND ONE!!!

To the shops! o/
    B_E2009 wrote: »
    Fashion I think would match the theme quite well:

Women:

18625-96328_1m_thumb.jpg6920-96273_thumb.jpg6660-95523m_thumb.jpg6439-94963_thumb.jpg

Men:

men-Boho-Jackets.jpg
    590e148e7f68e96cb2fb48d4c3bca0ad.jpg84b122969d580d2f51221efbd1a9a61d.jpg

I really like these suggestions!
    Maybe it's just my generation, but guys who spent a lot of time on how they look... seem kinda useless; like they don't have anything better to do but consume and try to be pretty :unamused: Give me jeans and comfy T-shirt any day!

Also, consumerism like this kinda goes against the "Eco" grain as all the useless products they are buying require factories. It would be like sending mixed messages. "Don't waste! Buy more crud!" Meh.

Yeah, I know what you mean. :-/
    nity01 wrote: »
    Cinderellimouse oh my goodness, I absolutely love those hoodies!! I really hope EA includes them, they're so cute!! Great find, I've never seen them before! :)

People used to wear them a lot years ago, I remember my Dad's friend who was in a band used to wear them, and there's kind of a revival of that kind of hippy/indie/music/alternate culture going on here. For some reason I thought they were based on a style of North African clothing, maybe Berber, but I think I'm mistaken. The images above say they are Mexican.

Anyway, I connect them in my mind with counter-culture. And they are the sort of thing that an environmentalist or eco warrior might wear.

Ah! Like Swampy! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swampy

SNF0312C-_1800868a-1-e1379678524822.jpg
  • Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    More random furniture i found:
    Innovative-Ideas-The-Table-Garden.jpg
    ee1a87fc39715817cf9ecde357fec0f2.jpg
    Wire.jpg
    bae0e7988c04dec9c4f3c17707831904.jpg
    Angle-Shelf-Eco-Friendly-Bamboo-Home-Interior-Furniture-ALS-Designs-Brooklyn-NYC.jpg
    Bella-Lamp-Eco-Friendly-Bamboo-Home-Interior-Furniture-ALS-Designs-Brooklyn-NYC.jpg
    interior-design-using-lots-of-house-plants.png?fit=599%2C703
    stylish.jpg
    plant.jpg
    SS_GT_Slide8-1240x800.0.jpg
    63cb3ef71c38f619ddd279dac455519a.jpg

And definitely a bag like this to hang at the wall;)
    jm180n_zoom-small-jute-bag.jpg

• Options
    gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I love a lot of the ideas. I'm hoping for more tiny home elements as they can be very eco-friendly if done right. Space saving furniture would work well. Clotheslines are something I'd like to see back as well, maybe a hand washing machine? With the wringer? Solar panels sound awesome as well, and something I would use. More bright colors for adults, and children in terms of clothing. Longer hair as well. More toddler activities, maybe a sandbox? More outdoor activities would be nice, because they are more eco friendly than the computer! Maybe even a camping stove. Did one come with Outdoor Retreat? I don't have that pack, so we may already have one.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member

Too bad the starter/small space living didn't make the cut--hopefully they'll combine some of the ideas because I think small space living is sustainable living and that is definitely eco-friendly!

Whatever the team does, I'm sure it'll be a fun stuff pack. I really think the way the devs set up this pack was great marketing. :relaxed:

I'm wondering if it will possible to combine some elements of small space with eco living. Or even put the starter/small space stuff in an EP or game pack of some kind. though I guess that depends on the theme of those.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    TheSimer wrote: »
    ee1a87fc39715817cf9ecde357fec0f2.jpg

Yes. I need this. Give it to me now!

I also support the idea of adding some of the starter/small space furniture suggestions in this pack if possible. Like more 1-tile desks. Also reclaimed wood and industrial metal indoor/outdoor furniture. A bit like an extension of the base game kitchen set but a bit more rustic.
  • Options
    ElizabethMcElizabethMc Posts: 103 Member
    Need more naturalistic, earthy or hippie like styles. We could use more dreadlock styles, including shorter dreads or hair with beads. I need two long braids as well. We need a new section in accessories for facial piercings-- I would love to see a hoop nose ring. Let's add thumb rings as an accessory too. A cool shirt would be someone who looks like they are always wearing a backpack, too.

And WEATHER. What could be more eco than seasons?

I would like to see a tree of life belly tattoo (henna?), which would be great when women are pregnant, for example. And mothers to infants and toddlers could wear their babies using baby slings. They could always have their baby with them, sleeping or not, and would only have to put them down for certain actions.

A nice architectural feature I think would be an indoor waterfall that goes on tall walls down to a pebble bottom floor, and the water recycles itself over and over again and this is meant to purify and humidify the air. Maybe sims could drop herbs or essential oils into the water for certain healing or mood effects. And if you wanted more use for essential oils, they would double as medicine, could be added to baths, in cooking, and could be used in oil diffusers (like when sims light incense). This could be part of the herb or wellness skill.

Having pantries that function like closets (esp corner pantries, that fit kind of triangular) would be cool. They could keep dried goods and foods, as well as herbs, and any not-in-use appliances, teabags, etc. in there. Seeds, etc. This is also good to keep stocked in case of weather emergencies (theoretically... since sims never have to really worry about food).

A generator for when power goes out during those random thunder storms...

And this is kind of just an aside, but can we fix the bug where freckles go away just because you change someone's makeup on one of their outfits?
    51933350_10157123903496029_4290593889716273152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQm2LuB9LApTdQSKlxPj0cx6XqQg9IesqTg0FX_Cs5sogqyRjcisK6oNSbsY0N0_9lwt4vNOYOiUqMNjNLvZACdN&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=6ab7359b62d930c33633ffd719730e38&oe=5D5F18F9
    Check out my Random Sims Skills Generator and more.
  • Options
    DcD2510DcD2510 Posts: 646 Member
    Nature and nature inspired furniture, no offence to anyone, but maybe clothes that are like cultural styled like as in, clothes that cover sims private parts but the rest is visible, also live in natural built almost cubby looking houses inspired by many cultures around the world where people live like that, or tiny houses, and have natural furniture
    Eco friendly clothes.
  • Options
    griffin1842griffin1842 Posts: 255 Member
    I like all these ideas. One thing that I think is important is to distinguish the style of this pack from the stuff in Movie Hangout. A lot of the clothing/decor in that pack was shabby chic/boho, so in my opinion they need to make sure to go in a different direction for this pack. Instead of hipster or boho stuff, which has been done in the game already, I hope they focus more on live-off-the-land environmentalist type of style.
  • Options
    I like all these ideas. One thing that I think is important is to distinguish the style of this pack from the stuff in Movie Hangout. A lot of the clothing/decor in that pack was shabby chic/boho, so in my opinion they need to make sure to go in a different direction for this pack. Instead of hipster or boho stuff, which has been done in the game already, I hope they focus more on live-off-the-land environmentalist type of style.

Do you have links to images of what you have in mind?
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    edited April 2017
    CAS things I would love to see included (I LOVE boho)
    Will add a few more bits soon :)
    Distressed hoodies: 1.jpg
    26f6889f-f7bd-4014-9cea-c914c2b54e61_large.jpg
    c02d9e8e69831bba8bc8ca7ecf343a8c.jpg
    a605a53beddb177b62c4e48bb4840811.jpg
    556824-1.jpg
    Boho-Pattern-Dress-Beach.jpg
    c68c8746344ca7e00f0c6ba3e1fcd172.jpg
    984e1b3f4b86e53134ae72a51731b768.jpg
    bebe_fashion_fall_collection_1.png
    Boho-Chic-Bohemian-Style-For-Summer-2015-1.jpg
    5ab1445245fd6cad296857db8703ed53.jpg
    boho-chic.jpg
    Omg on this one I love his hair!! :
    1e1196cc971ac975bdefb72fb029990f.jpg
    a2f4c14e57bb72b6e47f8be8cba001a9.jpg
    ff8b4e02107068b53094dafd73343121.jpg
    Build/buy (lots of plants and the green stuff!)
    e63fd42a529025d894796eb7feef5070.jpg
    hbz-pinterest-boho-interiors-03.jpg
    bright-colorful-thrifty-chic-boho-living-room-painted-fireplace-e1486133796589.jpg
    boho-chic-living-room.jpg
    a43490ea0c58c4e55c2013286e55289c.jpg
    c13157259191f5f823b3e518c0158d7c.jpg
    Photo8.jpg
    creative-diy-repurposing-reusing-upcycling-19-2.jpg
    pencils_pens_in-tins.jpg&h=340&w=636&zc=1
    RX-DK-GDN04906rep_cottage-chic_s3x4.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.616.462.jpeg
    mason-jars.jpg
    mh9ur534c0352a955c.jpg
    DIY-suitcase-chair.jpg
    upcycled-light-fixtures.jpg?w=694&h=558

Cas for toddlers and kids:
    308e2b022271b10db45c6b0372d335ab.jpg
    276e29defec1507643add7a06ba6d974.jpg
    hot-fashion-toddlers-girls-kids-boho-wild.jpg
    Summer-Teen-Girls-Fashion-Boutique-font-b-Dresses-b-font-White-Cotton-Asymmetrical-Child-Party-font.jpg
    1837-KD13509-2.jpg\
    94bbdb3eb4fa5ebfa0d35a41839157fd.jpg

a7e8070c6ba29a830e57f2c8696bd7e0.jpg
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    4l73rn471v44l73rn471v4 Posts: 3 New Member
    I think the clothing, building & furnishing options in a pack with an eco living theme should center around sustainable, eco-friendly options. I don't mean to slam OP or anything, but the content of the pictures seems like it's centered more on a TS3 High End Loft Stuff kind of vibe.
  • Options
    CakeMonCakeMon Posts: 1 New Member
    Here are some possible references ( Never mind... I haven't been around for long enough to post links appearantly :neutral::( ) and ideas for stuff that could be in this pack:

Gardens in a jar/indoor plants (would be great if we could take care of these plants just like regular outdoor plants, but decoration items like this would be greatly appreciated):

I also like the idea of upcycling and DIYs (this could be added as a new skill or be an art style used for items):

DIYs made with cans, buttons, gallon containers used to hold milk, egg cartons, newspapers, and plastic bottles themes in mind. The furniture could be upcycled as well as the clothes. (These would be just a few items, not an entire CAS of upcycled clothing.)

I think that there should be alternate eco-friendly versions of objects that would take up a lot of energy:

On another thread I heard someone proposing the idea of being able to write books and practice the writing skill on paper and in notebooks, which is an idea that I absolutely love. I also heard other talking about bunk bed, which I would totally place in my homes in a heartbeat. Bunk beds should come for a variety of ages. I want bunk beds for toddlers, children, and adults. The notebooks could be recycled notebooks and the bunk beds could be made out of wood.

Energy saving product and renewable energy resources...

clotheslines
    solar panels
    wind turbines
    solar powered TVs
    manual hand fans
    water powered objects
    more open fire ways of cooking food

My ideas for possible actions and traits:

The "Eco-Freak" - Someone that rants about alternative energy resources and criticizes sims for wasting energy and hurting the environment. They use eco-friendly items and become upset when they see the energy wasting products in their own homes.

The "Litter Critter" - Someone that doesn't care for the environment and throws trash around everywhere they go. They keep home appliances on even when they aren't being used.

Some possible interactions could be drinking from open water or enclosed water areas, foraging for new kinds of berries and mushrooms natural spawned in the world, littering, being able to hang up laundry on a clothesline, raising your own food (animal domestication), sunbathing, recycling, composting, and having children make mud pies and play in the dirt

Extra suggestions:

working fountains that could be used as a water source
    bathtubs that have to be manually filled with water from a water source
    hoses to water more than one plant at once
    being able to pee behind trees
    eating raw fish from a lake (possible death method)
    installing solar panels yourself (possible death method)
    dying from eating poisonous berries and mushrooms
    getting a rash from poison ivy
    being fined for littering

A side note:

I know that this is only a stuff pack, so there is no possible way for all of these ideas to be in the pack. I also understand that some of these things are a bit extensive and go too in depth to be in a stuff pack; however, I hope that these suggestions serve as inspirations for other people in the community and developers. I also hope that some of these ideas are used at a later time in a future pack. *cough* *cough* pets expansion, family expansion, seasons expansion *cough* *cough* In addition, as someone that originally placed Eco Living as #3 on their list, I am a lot more excited for this pack. I love seeing involvement from so many different people in the community and being able to give our input on a pack. Hopefully, we'll be able to do this again in the future and that this pack comes out great in the end.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Maybe it's just my generation, but guys who spent a lot of time on how they look... seem kinda useless; like they don't have anything better to do but consume and try to be pretty :unamused: Give me jeans and comfy T-shirt any day!

Also, consumerism like this kinda goes against the "Eco" grain as all the useless products they are buying require factories. It would be like sending mixed messages. "Don't waste! Buy more crud!" Meh.

Anyway, I'm excited about the eco-living pack--it was one of the three options I liked, but I'd love to see the ability to go either way. Like Air conditioning vs fans vs windows that open; like energy guzzling appliances vs energy-star (RIP) appliances vs old school manual labour; like leaving lights and electronics on vs turning them off; like throwing trash away instead of recycling it and recycling it. Of course there should be positive/negative consequences for a sim depending on which object they use or action they do depending on their traits.

I think it would be really cool to have the ability to have a wasteful trait and an eco-friendly trait. Especially since this is such a hot topic of late with folks who are antipathetic towards environment saving measures and think the whole thing a con. I'd love a sim who is wasteful to get annoyed with having to recycle. Or having flatmates and one is eco-friendly and gets mad when their eco-unfriendly counterpart doesn't recycle.

If the game is just going to be about laundry... I'm cool with that too. :joy:

Lol, now I'm curious what your generation is. :) My youngest son is in his third year at university, economics major, dean's list, has just secured a summer internship with a financial firm making more in those 2 months than I make in 6, is on the college baseball team, is involved in several volunteer organizations. He spends about an hour getting ready in the morning and is impeccably dressed and groomed when he goes out. He's in another state but occasionally will text me if he thinks he looks particularly dashing. :D My husband and I love to tease him.

• Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @luthienrising - I love the images you shared. I would LOVE to see more patched clothing for this stuff pack. For me, the ideal way to reconcile laundry and eco-living as themes would be to give our Sims the ability to make their own clothes with a new 5-level Sewing Skill!!

Patched skirts:
    2919746324b0a11475d47924682e5e73.jpg
    a56742cfd4f0cfc947f63a116abc44e0.jpg
    31012bab526d96c17fda5ae37d23ea79.jpg
    2f894a41647258de3d4ac17bfb24c257.jpg
    8f73614c38bf2ca69373d404882b6044.jpg

Homemade dresses:
    twirl-dress-tutorial.jpeg
    cool-homemade-prom-dresses.jpg
    il_570xN.905352777_a3rj.jpg
    14-PlasticBag.jpg

Ren Faire look (a lot of people in the creative anachronism community make their own clothes):
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I like the Renaissance Fair pics. I'd use that in my games for sure.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member

Anyway, I'm excited about the eco-living pack--it was one of the three options I liked, but I'd love to see the ability to go either way. Like Air conditioning vs fans vs windows that open; like energy guzzling appliances vs energy-star (RIP) appliances vs old school manual labour; like leaving lights and electronics on vs turning them off; like throwing trash away instead of recycling it and recycling it. Of course there should be positive/negative consequences for a sim depending on which object they use or action they do depending on their traits.

I think it would be really cool to have the ability to have a wasteful trait and an eco-friendly trait. Especially since this is such a hot topic of late with folks who are antipathetic towards environment saving measures and think the whole thing a con. I'd love a sim who is wasteful to get annoyed with having to recycle. Or having flatmates and one is eco-friendly and gets mad when their eco-unfriendly counterpart doesn't recycle.

If the game is just going to be about laundry... I'm cool with that too. :joy:

Lol, now I'm curious what your generation is. :) My youngest son is in his third year at university, economics major, dean's list, has just secured a summer internship with a financial firm making more in those 2 months than I make in 6, is on the college baseball team, is involved in several volunteer organizations. He spends about an hour getting ready in the morning and is impeccably dressed and groomed when he goes out. He's in another state but occasionally will text me if he thinks he looks particularly dashing. :D My husband and I love to tease him.

What you described sounds like the average joe consumer today and yeah... I'm not in your son's generation :joy: I visited a close friend in Cali the other day who I hadn't seen for about two years and his house was practically empty with only a bed, desk, guest room bed and desk, a sofa and a TV. We were joking about how his place looked exactly like mine. It should be noted we we're born about two weeks apart!

That said, while I can appreciate guys (perhaps) trying to challenge gender norms--there's got to be a more sustainable way of doing this rather than shopping. All of these fashion products are made in countries that have lousy eco-standards. It slays me :confounded:
  • Options
    BatmanBatman Posts: 302 Member
    I'm loving seeing all the recycled/re-used items! Like the bathtub sofa. It would be awesome to see that type of thing at the flea market in San Myshuno!
  • Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    edited April 2017
    This time i searched for vintage furniture which could also fit into the eco theme
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    I love this thread. (: I have a few things that I searched through google with; I apologize if I post something that's already been posted. I tried to go through the pages to see, and I don't think I have something that someone else posted. But here it goes. :)

I am not sure how much stuff will actually go into this pack since it is a stuff pack; but I'm hopeful that at least some of these decor get into it and/or plants, if nothing else.

However, I did find some SUPER cute things for toddlers that I would love to have.
    How cute are these? And your toddler can take it a part and rebuild it.
    33552118270_42c5bbf499_b.jpg
    33552119160_19570f158c_z.jpg

33552119010_495a240bae_c.jpg

33552119920_2920fefd0d.jpg

33552118350_e5e0f6d0f3_z.jpg

33552119390_2d62207ca3_z.jpg

Decor:
    Jars - I would absolutely love some of these hanging jars; with little pebbles, flowers, and candles inside.
    33552118670_91ca037236_z.jpg

33552118200_c0b043421b.jpg

33552118410_def3df9752_z.jpg

33552119220_1dfcdd74e0_z.jpg

33552119440_0060d4a2fd.jpg

33552119630_e640621e79.jpg

33552119700_ba77544790_z.jpg

33896609236_df560b8e53.jpg

33896609366_d80d372ced_z.jpg

33937563545_52c67d33ea.jpg

33807437831_682d93d3dc_z.jpg

33896504646_6daac58d81_z.jpg
  • Options
    SimmerOfEnglandSimmerOfEngland Posts: 194 Member
    Really wanna see wind turbines! Think they'd be an adorable addition
    ⭐ Say what you think, love who you love 'cause you just get so many trips around the sun ⭐

Simmer since 2009
    S4 content owned - GTW, GT, CL, OR, DO, SD, P, V, KR, SS, BS, FS, BN, RG, MH, LP, PP, LP, CK, VG,
    Sims lost:7