Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do vampires need coffins?

Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
This is maybe a question for the developers. Vampires have different needs from humans and the human sleep and bladder bars were replaced by the power bar. That bar can be replenished by sleeping in a coffin or by Dark mediation. At the same time a bug was introduced so that vampires became exhausted and needed to use the toilet as if they still had human only needs. Because of this a mod was created to eliminate human needs for vampires. And the mod seems to work. In fact it works so well that the coffin is not really needed. Dark meditation is all you need to keep the power bar full. That means that you can keep your vampire going 24/7.

Now I am not sure that this is what the developers intended. Traditionally vampires become dormant during daylight. For those who don't use the mod are your sims still showing human needs? Do you actually get use out of your coffins? So how did the developers actually intend for power replenishment to work and how did they actually intend the coffin/dark meditation to work? I could actually see a requirement that dark meditation gives limited power replenishment and that for full replenishment the vampire needs to hibernate and/or sleep for a set number of hours a day during the day.

Comments

• kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    None of my vampires has ever shown human needs, and I don't have any mods. Two of my vampires are CAS-made and one was turned in the game. My vampires never really manage to get very low on the vampire power bar. But I still always make them hibernate in their coffins the most of the day (around 9am to 5pm), because they couldn't go out during that time anyway, and I fell like they're supposed to sleep during the day. But if I used the sleep action instead of hibernate, they'd get out of their coffins way too soon.
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I have mods, but not the human needs one (although I should, because one vampire is starving.) Coffins are basically useless decorations. A little time spent meditating is all I need. However, it can be boring playing a vampire because there are times when nothing is going on in game. I use the coffin when I just want to put them to sleep and fast forward time.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    In Sims 4, none of the vampires in my games ever use coffins. Although they have used them to woohoo in, and I did force Mr. Baldy Pants to hibernate in it, when I was playing his household.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Vampires can sleep in a regular bed and refresh that bar. Coffins are optional unless you have the Weakness that they can only sleep in coffins.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    Vampires can sleep in a regular bed and refresh that bar. Coffins are optional unless you have the Weakness that they can only sleep in coffins.

Which is why that weakness is the one I always give my vampires as soon as I can :) I don't want them to sleep in beds.
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    And that is one trait I give my vampires to make them more vampirism. Nevertheless I get the feeling that the developers wanted to have a more robust coffin system with vampires having to sleep in coffins and that somehow it didn't work as planned. That is why vampires get hidden human needs (ie exhausted) in an un-modded game (at least mine did before I modded it). I think I would actually like to see dark meditation eliminated and require that powers only be regenerated in sleep or perhaps the first 10% be regenerated by dark meditation and the last 90% by coffin sleep/hibernation.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Bronwin2 wrote: »
    This is maybe a question for the developers. Vampires have different needs from humans and the human sleep and bladder bars were replaced by the power bar. That bar can be replenished by sleeping in a coffin or by Dark mediation. At the same time a bug was introduced so that vampires became exhausted and needed to use the toilet as if they still had human only needs. Because of this a mod was created to eliminate human needs for vampires. And the mod seems to work. In fact it works so well that the coffin is not really needed. Dark meditation is all you need to keep the power bar full. That means that you can keep your vampire going 24/7.

Now I am not sure that this is what the developers intended. Traditionally vampires become dormant during daylight. For those who don't use the mod are your sims still showing human needs? Do you actually get use out of your coffins? So how did the developers actually intend for power replenishment to work and how did they actually intend the coffin/dark meditation to work? I could actually see a requirement that dark meditation gives limited power replenishment and that for full replenishment the vampire needs to hibernate and/or sleep for a set number of hours a day during the day.

I didn't have the 'human motives' when I played my vampire. So, I have no idea why others do unless it is mod related. I use the coffin to sleep for the vampire, and or to hibernate during the day if I'm busy with something else or other Sims. It builds the power either way, but making them stay in it during the day is helpful if you pick the other option besides the sleep. He doesn't have any protection against sun and honestly making him stay in it during the day builds the bar faster than sleep. Or dark meditation out of it. And he hasn't shown up anywhere when I played other Sims and to me the vampire stuff is working exactly like it should.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Your vampires don't get unexpectedly exhausted or need to use the toilet? I would love to get rid of that mod, but originally it was very frustrating to have exhausted vampires with full power bars.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Bronwin2 wrote: »
    Your vampires don't get unexpectedly exhausted or need to use the toilet? I would love to get rid of that mod, but originally it was very frustrating to have exhausted vampires with full power bars.

No, why would they? They don't have to pee, ever, nor do they have a hunger bar. I assume this is a mod problem and as long as people keep the mods that do this, they aren't going to listen to anyone posting about it when it's mod related.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm not really sure, but from some of the things I've read, it does seem that vampires having 'hidden' human needs is an EA bug, not a mod issue. There's a mod that was designed to fix that, which is the mod being referred to earlier in this topic. That said, I myself have not encountered this bug. I only have a couple vampires, but they're all working properly so far.

As for the need to sleep, either in a coffin or on a bed, I think it really depends a lot on the abilities/weaknesses your particular vampire has. Also, it's highly dependent upon your usage of vampiric powers. If I just play my vampire like an ordinary Sim and don't really use powers then I can usually just get away with a quick Dark Meditation, no sleep really needed. But if you want to actually start doing vampire things and use those powers, then you may need to go use that coffin/bed. I think the game is tuned to allow for a reasonable amount of power-use. After all, that's one of the attractions of being a vampire.
    Pay for product -- not potential!