Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I want more CAS

I tend to pick the same aspiration, traits, and walks over and over. Do you guys purposely pick them or do you randomize them? I would like to see more choices. What do you like or dislike about them? I don't like the lazy walk and I don't like negative traits like evil. I very seldom do mean interactions. Just wondering since I know that some people want to play dysfunctional and chaotic.

Comments

• SaviourofpotatoesSaviourofpotatoes Posts: 111 Member
    I used to pick good traits only but since exploring through them, negative traits are fun to play with; I especially like the insane trait. I would like to see more options, especially with aspirations and I've downloaded a few extras through websites etc I think if we had more options then their personalities would really hit the roof. As for walks and such, I usually pick the normal walk but I tend to give the characters I don't play with that I place in the neighbourhoods, a variety of walks and different traits etc. I like living around wild characters but like my simmies to be normal -minus the insane trait, because it's my favourite-
  • ArtsyBananaArtsyBanana Posts: 339 Member
    I was like you at first, and so do my friends when we started playing sims 4, they stopped playing( in 2015 i think) and I'm still playing. I realize that making the perfect sim(or only good traits) EVERY-TIME will make the game quite boring for you.

That's what happend to my friends so they stopped playing. I know the negative traits seem skeptical to try out but the thing is sims with those "Negative" traits can still live as a sim with positive traits as long as you direct him/her to do so I still pick them for a lot of my sims.

.It's just a bit more challenging to make friends/romantic relationships and get promoted in jobs with those traits, but hey that's the fun of it ;)
    See what's up in my gallery: Origin ID: ArtsyBanana
    I have finally finished my Legacy Challenge , these are the Levis (numbered by Generation!)
    https://imgur.com/L3Q6aQZ

I was like you at first, and so do my friends when we started playing sims 4, they stopped playing( in 2015 i think) and I'm still playing. I realize that making the perfect sim(or only good traits) EVERY-TIME will make the game quite boring for you.

That's what happend to my friends so they stopped playing. I know the negative traits seem skeptical to try out but the thing is sims with those "Negative" traits can still live as a sim with positive traits as long as you direct him/her to do so I still pick them for a lot of my sims.

.It's just a bit more challenging to make friends/romantic relationships and get promoted in jobs with those traits, but hey that's the fun of it ;)

I completely agree, giving them, what is thought of, as bad traits actually makes them more human like and fun to play with. I give almost every sim I make the insane trait because I love to see them telling themselves stories or speaking to themselves in the mirror. Makes me giggle.
  • LinzzLinzz Posts: 323 Member
    I have been making a lot of sims to fill my town with and I miss some traits like shy, brooding and emotional. Also the random button to select traits would be great again... I was literally thinking this earlier today too. :)
  • ratsrbestratsrbest Posts: 579 Member
    I don't like a lot of the walks, they're too bouncy or drooping, so I only use about three styles.

I have been laughing at my hot-headed Sim, though, when she's angry. The stomping about is phenomenal, made all the more funny because she's wearing quite heavy boots with a shortish summer frock.

The traits are odd. I can never tell in advance if I'm going to enjoy playing with a particular Sim. Sometimes I think I've got things just right but the Sim is just plain annoying. Other times I've played a pre-made Sim with a trait I don't like but that Sim works out very well.

I've never regretted the Active trait, I've found it to be very useful. It's Knowledge Sims who've disappointed me the most when I've given them a Geek or Genius (?) trait. They're so temperamental I can't stand them. I tried using the Carefree reward but it just felt as I'd lobotomised my Sim...

What I'd really like is a No-Fun trait. Or a trait that allows a Sim to have fun regardless of what they're doing. I hate fun :(
    Don't feed the trolls
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    I used to love giving sims all negative traits, then isolating them from everyone & watch them live insufferably to the point of getting annoyed with their failures & just punishing them more.

I found that giving sims all negative traits & actually wanting them to progress towards something of a happy lifestyle is the most frustrating thing to try to pan out.

Now I just choose traits that help grind skills faster.
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    my favorite "negative" trait is probably clumsy, i just think it's so cute how he starts laughing at himself after a whoopsie
    but i agree i wish there were a few more things to choose from
    and the walk styles are a bit too animated for me, i cycle between rough, swag, and cheerful and just give feminine to all the girls
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • IhascandyIhascandy Posts: 67 Member
    I usually pick positive traits all the time, but when I'm up for a challenge I'll pick traits like 'Lazy' and 'Snob'.
    44318e6415ea052bd5b7c38074aad0aa.png
    That's one small step for a sim... one giant leap for simkind...

• HennriettaHennrietta Posts: 212 Member
    I'd definitely like more traits! I tend to pick the "boring" positive traits for my main sims and the "bad" traits for the neighbors and unplayed sims just to spice things up.
  • chensaytaylorchensaytaylor Posts: 700 Member
    I use Pinstar's random trait generator :) That way all the kids are different, and I play different combos of traits and aspirations than I would pick for myself.
  • SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    I would always pick nice traits that would help my sim, turns out it's really boring to do that. Now I pick atleast two negative traits and one positive, why, because it really adds to the story. I do however wished there were more options to have more traits chosen because three isn't a lot. However, I often use "hothead" and "insane" and traits to give my sim more of a unique personality, trust me, it's hilarious.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I don't like traits at all, and find that the personality matrix of The Sims and The Sims 2 was more enjoyable for me. In that vein, I don't think that adding more of them would improve my experience. The presence of more mashed potatoes on my plate is not going to improve my enjoyment of the meal if I didn't like mashed potatoes in the first place.
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Music Lovers and Geeks are fun to play because there's more things to collect and skills to master.
  • AmyCarolynAmyCarolyn Posts: 303 Member
    No body is perfect! Not even Sims :]
    Because of this I keep a pretty steady 2 positive traits to one negative trait ratio. Some of my preferences in negative traits are gloomy, hot headed, and lazy.

But I do agree, we need way more traits and aspirations. They released new ones all the time for the sims 3 but have really lacked in that department with the sims 4 which is strange considering this iterations claim to fame is how customizable sims are. You'd think they would release more variety of traits..
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited March 2017
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I tend to pick the same aspiration, traits, and walks over and over. Do you guys purposely pick them or do you randomize them? I would like to see more choices. What do you like or dislike about them? I don't like the lazy walk and I don't like negative traits like evil. I very seldom do mean interactions. Just wondering since I know that some people want to play dysfunctional and chaotic.

I like the walk styles and always try and pick the one that suits my Sim best. I think I tend to use 'feminine', 'snobby', 'swagger' and the one that is really stompy the most. I like the ones that are stylised but not OTT, so the vampire one and the dopey one are too exaggerated for me. I'd love a few more, maybe something like 'Shy' were the Sim just wants to act invisible and not draw attention to themselves: head-down, body all tucked in on itself. Maybe something a bit floaty as well, for my Sims who want to waft around in a dream world. Idk, nothing too silly but I like slight variations on the way Sims carry themselves.

I'd like more traits and aspirations but the key for me again is they need to be realistic and usable! I'm still hoping for more options under the athletic aspiration tab because I don't really use 'bodybuilder' all that often. I'd like 'Sports Fanatic' and 'Health Conscious' as alternatives. I miss the eco-friendly features as well. I generally think the personality system needs to be given a bit of an overhaul, it's not bad, but it could be a LOT better. I miss being able to choose things that attracts or repels sims like in TS2, and I wish there was some kind of 'Interests' feature where I could select around 3 specific interest areas for my Sims in CAS like: 'sports', 'fashion', or 'cooking' and that would drive them to pursue those interests through gameplay.

I don't tend to use the really mean interactions or the 'evil' trait, but I absolutely have some Machiavellian Sims and troublesome characters. I don't like to have my Sims running around picking fights or whatever for no reason, but sometimes it'll suit my circumstances to have a Sim criticise another or get mad over something. It's always done for a reason as part of my gameplay. But in general I dislike negative features. But then I don't like Sims to be 'perfect' either. I like them to be human-like: flawed and fallible but kind of adorable with it.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I always try to give my sims atleast one negative trait. I have a family where I gave the father the evil, one daughter the mean, and the other daughter the loner trait, just to make them seem more realistic. The mother, however, didn't get any negative traits, because she is supposed to be the "perfect Mary-Sue", if you know what I mean :D

But I would also like more options in CAS, more walkstyles, more traits, and of course more aspirations! I end up picking the same ones again and again because there are only so few to choose from. I especially miss the workaholic and shy traits, they would suit some of my sims so much!
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I pick everything I've never picked before for every new sim.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I tend to only go for the negatives: mean, hates children, evil, snob, materialistic, jealous, etc. I'd love more chaotic and 'negative' traits, because the ones I use get repetitive after a while.
    Only time in my life that I agree with negativity, on sims. Poor simmies.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    More choices are always welcome. Trying something different for new sims is a good way to stay interested. That said I would never pick the Bro trait and I only use a couple of the walks. Some of the walks remind me of Monty Python and that is not necessarily a good thing. A few more normal walks would be very much appreciated but the introduction of a bowler hat and an umbrella might find me re- evaluating existing walks :D
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2017

I'd like more traits and aspirations but the key for me again is they need to be realistic and usable! I'm still hoping for more options under the athletic aspiration tab because I don't really use 'bodybuilder' all that often. I'd like 'Sports Fanatic' and 'Health Conscious' as alternatives. I miss the eco-friendly features as well. I generally think the personality system needs to be given a bit of an overhaul, it's not bad, but it could be a LOT better. I miss being able to choose things that attracts or repels sims like in TS2, and I wish there was some kind of 'Interests' feature where I could select around 3 specific interest areas for my Sims in CAS like: 'sports', 'fashion', or 'cooking' and that would drive them to pursue those interests through gameplay.

I like your ideas, Cinderellimouse, and I agree that the personality system needs an overhaul. In my game, I can easily over-ride any trait they have by giving them directions to follow. When left to their own devices, they still don't express out of their traits/personalities, but more out of their moods - and often inappropriately. These systems were done far better in both TS2 and TS3. I'm wondering if TS4's system is salvageable? It would be nice :smile:

Edited to add: OP, I agree that more choices are always welcome. Since the traits don't have a lot of impact on my game I'm neutral on your question there. The walk styles are fair to middling but I would like to see more subtlety. I pretty much stick to the default style because most of the others are too exaggerated for how I mentally perceive my Sims to be.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited March 2017
    I like randomising and creating the looks/style of the character based on their personality.

http://createarandomsim.com/adult

This site is also good for added "flavour:"

http://www.generatorland.com/usergenerator.aspx?id=6355
    Post edited by EmmaVane on
  • celeste821celeste821 Posts: 543 Member
    ratsrbest wrote: »
    What I'd really like is a No-Fun trait. Or a trait that allows a Sim to have fun regardless of what they're doing. I hate fun :(
    lmao "I hate fun" I don't know why this is so funny to me

• celeste821celeste821 Posts: 543 Member
    the walk styles are a bit too animated for me, i cycle between rough, swag, and cheerful and just give feminine to all the girls

me too but I have given some women the swag and rough as well, it's kind of sexy lol, but I hate to see the males with the feminine walk. I don't like anything feminine on a male
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    I personally like to try to complete all aspirations using a different sim for each, so I use the traits that fit the aspiration, so I do use the ''bad'' traits on my evil sims, cause it wouldn't fit if my sim with the public enemy aspiration was good, insider and family oriented.

What I don't like is that some traits are not really ''working'', like non-commital was way better in the sims 3, in the sims 4 it never give the whim to change of job, you can get the whim to marry easy, so yea I wish trait was more personalized.

I also don't like that some traits will spam whims non stop, like family oriented, even if your sim isn't married yet and doesn't have kids, you get the whim to buy a toy, over and over again, even if you already completed the whim 50 times and bought 50 toys.
    gCQKjq4.png