Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Has Sold Over 5M Copies

Comments

• Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    Good, maybe that means there is hope for a TS5 yet.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited March 2017
    TS4 sells good so what? Where is the problem? -.-
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Good job Sims 4! The game is FAR from perfect but every iteration was. I am glad it is doing well. I've sunk hours upon hours into this game like every iteration before it.

The Sims 4 is so far from perfect that if you bought a ticket for a bus ride, two transferring flights, a helicopter ride, and cab fare you still wouldn't get to perfect. But I love The Sims 4 anyways!
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Good job Sims 4! The game is FAR from perfect but every iteration was. I am glad it is doing well. I've sunk hours upon hours into this game like every iteration before it.

The Sims 4 is so far from perfect that if you bought a ticket for a bus ride, two transferring flights, a helicopter ride, and cab fare you still wouldn't get to perfect. But I love The Sims 4 anyways!

Ironically you would not get a bus, two planes, a helicopter or a cab in TS4 anyway...

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

The problem is internet tribalism. There are some people who think that the success of, or enjoyment of, one title means that something it taken away from another. So you see it here when the claim that The Sims 4 sold X number of copies, with the immediate reply being "yeah, well The Sims 3 sold Y copies.". It boils down to wanting to run down the other guy's game; all trolling and similar nonsense.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member

Ironically you would not get a bus, two planes, a helicopter or a cab in TS4 anyway...

It's close enough to perfect for me!

*now the song is in my head* :D
  • Options
    Cross182Cross182 Posts: 33 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »

The problem is internet tribalism. There are some people who think that the success of, or enjoyment of, one title means that something it taken away from another. So you see it here when the claim that The Sims 4 sold X number of copies, with the immediate reply being "yeah, well The Sims 3 sold Y copies.". It boils down to wanting to run down the other guy's game; all trolling and similar nonsense.

I just want Sims 4 to do well so we can get a Sims 5 at the end of the day.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Cross182 wrote: »

I just want Sims 4 to do well so we can get a Sims 5 at the end of the day.

I don't even care about a theoretical Sims 5, just like I am not thinking about Windows 11.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    OMG, King. We know the game got criticized at reception. But it's over, okay? It was a long time ago. Nobody's making you play Sims 4 just because it sold a bunch of copies. The OP was just posting the new and confirmed info, not telling you you have to do something you don't like or that your game is bad.

It certainly is not over. The base game is still incomplete and buggy. I expect a single player game to be complete at launch. I do not, and should not, have to wait years for the developers to complete their game. I did not sign up to an alpha, beta or early access game. I purchased what I was lead to believe was a complete and fully tested game.

Sim reactions in this game were terrible at launch and it took them over a year to patch this. No, just because the game has improved, does not excuse anything or mean anyone should forget the shoddy state the game was released in and still is in with regards to bugs.

I'm still waiting for the return of cars and NPCs like burglars.

The quality of this game is substandard. They proved they still can make decent content with toddlers and vampires and then they go and ruin it by releasing this new teen lot trait that does not even work. Did they even test it?

DON'T RELEASE IT IF IT IS NOT READY.

It really is that simple.

With regards to the sales, this is a good thing because it probably ensures that there will be a The Sims 5. Hopefully they will not make the same mistakes they did with The Sims 4 and will release it when it is finished, not two years too soon.

It's a pity they are not allowed to use those profits to fix the game. There are far too many bugs that are being ignored and it is taking far too long for them to fix the bugs they do work on. It is disgusting that they keep releasing new content that they expect us to pay for when the current content which customers have already bought does not work properly. It is shady business.

Tell that to Bethesda or basically any game that releases these days. :D
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited March 2017
    OMG, King. We know the game got criticized at reception. But it's over, okay? It was a long time ago. Nobody's making you play Sims 4 just because it sold a bunch of copies. The OP was just posting the new and confirmed info, not telling you you have to do something you don't like or that your game is bad.

It certainly is not over. The base game is still incomplete and buggy. I expect a single player game to be complete at launch. I do not, and should not, have to wait years for the developers to complete their game. I did not sign up to an alpha, beta or early access game. I purchased what I was lead to believe was a complete and fully tested game.

Sim reactions in this game were terrible at launch and it took them over a year to patch this. No, just because the game has improved, does not excuse anything or mean anyone should forget the shoddy state the game was released in and still is in with regards to bugs.

The quality of this game is substandard. They proved they still can make decent content with toddlers and vampires and then they go and ruin it by releasing this new teen lot trait that does not even work. Did they even test it?

With regards to the sales, this is a good thing because it probably ensures that there will be a The Sims 5. Hopefully they will not make the same mistakes they did with The Sims 4 and will release it when it is finished, not two years too soon.

It's a pity they are not allowed to use those profits to fix the game. There are far too many bugs that are being ignored and it is taking far too long for them to fix the bugs they do work on. It is disgusting that they keep releasing new content that they expect us to pay for when the current content which customers have already bought does not work properly. It is shady business.

I play scores of games every year on multiple systems, and shock horror, most of them are complete games that do not need updates every month to add content that should have been there at launch.
  • Options
    Yes but The Sims is not like the other games.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Yes, I forgot the Sims 4 is the first game in the series to have dlc/expansions. :p Shock and horror indeed.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Yes but The Sims is not like the other games.

Strange how The Sims 1, 2 and 3 didn't need to have patches for their base games every month to add additional content. The Sims 3 launched with all lifestages present. The Sims 4, we had to wait over two years for toddlers and babies are still stuck in the year 2000. The Sims 4 is also missing staple base game NPCs and of course cars. They released the game too early and I hope they do not repeat the same mistake if there is a The Sims 5.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited March 2017

I don't know, I still think there's a difference. You can play vanilla Skyrim or Fallout 4 and it's still "complete." There's a campaign, side stories, and plenty to keep busy with. Expansions are just there to, well, expand. But the core game is already complete.

The Sims is a different animal. After the base game it's always "when will we get weather?" "When will we get pets?" Or, in TS4's case "when will we get toddlers?" It's all of these aspects that players wait on to complete their experience. Bethesda games are far from perfect, but they don't make you pay for mundane things like weather.

IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    @blueturtleotter Yes you are right. :smile:
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

I don't know, I still think there's a difference. You can play vanilla Skyrim or Fallout 4 and it's still "complete." There's a campaign, side stories, and plenty to keep busy with. Expansions are just there to, well, expand. But not necessarily complete.

The Sims is a different animal. After the base game it's always "when will we get weather?" "When will we get pets?" Or, in TS4's case "when will we get toddlers?" It's all of these aspects that players wait on to complete their experience. Bethesda games are far from perfect, but they don't make you pay for mundane things like weather.

Pretty much every modern game now has some form of weather as they attempt to be as immersive as possible. It is a standard feature and really should have been in the game when it was released in 2014.
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I still don't care (I'm convinced the game has sold greatly), but "Lyndsay Pearson: Yeah, it’s definitely somewhere over that! We don’t really track specific numbers but there are millions of players who are playing The Sims 4 and have seen this update.", why on earth so dodgy?! Besides..., how long ago was that 5M button... More than a year? It's beyond me why they just can't tell us "yes, we sold x M Sims 4 games AND WE'RE GOING TO SPEND ALL THAT MONEY ON SIMS THIS TIME AROUND (because we realize it's the only life simulation game out there and we take our responsability)!!!"

I don't think the gurus have any real say in this aspect. There are a bunch of factors involved. The stock market, investors, etc. All the financial stuff has to be carefully dealt with for any public-stock-traded company, especially these days. There was news the other day about companies going to sites like SteamSpy to take them off the listings for estimated Steam sales and stuff because of all that too.

I don't know why digital distribution makes companies so dodgey about it all but maybe they're not used to it yet or laws or regulations haven't sufficiently updated or something. I think we're still in the growing stage when it comes to how this all works out.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited March 2017
    I still don't care (I'm convinced the game has sold greatly), but "Lyndsay Pearson: Yeah, it’s definitely somewhere over that! We don’t really track specific numbers but there are millions of players who are playing The Sims 4 and have seen this update.", why on earth so dodgy?! Besides..., how long ago was that 5M button... More than a year? It's beyond me why they just can't tell us "yes, we sold x M Sims 4 games AND WE'RE GOING TO SPEND ALL THAT MONEY ON SIMS THIS TIME AROUND (because we realize it's the only life simulation game out there and we take our responsability)!!!"

I don't think the gurus have any real say in this aspect. There are a bunch of factors involved. The stock market, investors, etc. All the financial stuff has to be carefully dealt with for any public-stock-traded company, especially these days. There was news the other day about companies going to sites like SteamSpy to take them off the listings for estimated Steam sales and stuff because of all that too.

I don't know why digital distribution makes companies so dodgey about it all but maybe they're not used to it yet or laws or regulations haven't sufficiently updated or something. I think we're still in the growing stage when it comes to how this all works out.

Cloud vendors have exclusive contracts with the publisher. As such if the publishers don't want numbers released they don't get released Brick and mortars have no such exclusivity.
    In fact since many of them have a financial stake in the game reporting industry (gaming magazines and other media) they have no problem sharing sales numbers freely.
  • Options
    Uzone27 wrote: »

Cloud vendors have exclusive contracts with the publisher. As such if the publishers don't want numbers released they don't get released Brick and mortars have no such exclusivity.
    In fact since many of them have a financial stake in the game reporting industry (gaming magazines and other media) they have no problem sharing sales numbers freely.

Retail stores are also a factor, yes. They don't want to appear to be falling behind in their sales compared to digital as well, for obvious reasons. While EA controls how its games are marketed and sold on Origin for example, a store could threaten to not stock their games or properly market them in ads and such.

Like I said, it's a whole list of factors, almost none of which comes down at the end of the game devs themselves.
  • Options
    DrakoVongola2DrakoVongola2 Posts: 60 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    marcel21 wrote: »
    I'm glad the game is selling well. Looks good for the future.

that's not selling well if true.
    looks bad for the future.

Not selling well? A 5m+ sales figure is great for a pc game as most won't even come close to that. The fact is that TS3 has only sold 7m, and Ts2 around 6m (I might need to recheck that ts2 number), so for the game to surpass the 5m mark is very good.

not conpaired to the others,

TS3 Sold over 10m
    TS2 Sold over 13m
    TS4 5m

now the sims made over 100 from the start. before 4 even arrived. 5m makes TS4 the lowest seller if true.

yeah it great it sold i mean we might not see TS5 if it diden't but it still makes it the bottom out of the 4 games.

it was not very populor at the start. i mean all the tools and features removed. quite a lot still not included to it. will have had an effect in it's sales.
    anyway if its true yes it made money but not really a huge hit with larger sales.

The Sims 2 is 13 years old. The Sims 3 is 8 years old. The Sims 4 is 2 and a half. Of course it hasn't sold as much, there's no indication that it's done selling copies
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member

^^^^^ THIS is all the way live. first thing i thought when i saw the OP. " here we go with.... well TS2 did this; TS3 did that". these forums are so toxic
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

I'm certain they don't (sorry for implying that), EA does.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    orkhid22 wrote: »

^^^^^ THIS is all the way live. first thing i thought when i saw the OP. " here we go with.... well TS2 did this; TS3 did that". these forums are so toxic

People just can't be happy about the sims 4 sales without dragging other sims games into it.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member

Then in Sims 4 speak "No loading screen can load me to a perfect game" outch! And I just went through three of them.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    5M sells it's good for TS5. Please don't repeat the mistake'' project Olympus'' for TS5... It's because of that TS4 is so boring.
    Lu4ERme.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top