Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on gameplay slowdown, input delay, and time distortion

Comments

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I still have all the problems listed above in this thread. And my Sims have very few items in inventory they keep stealing books or keeping them ( not kleptos) one or two may have a book etc. However, I noticed there is a lot less 'lag' or Sims not responding if I lower the foundations I have on some properties. Believe me, I tried everything, all the settings in gameplay etc. But when my game would start to wig out, and I happened to be on a lot with very high porch, steps etc. I lowered those and it ran as smooth as butter again. This will not solve everyone's problem with Sims slow to respond or the jerky animations etc. but it does for some lots and lower the tall wall heights too. It may help you play a little longer until it goes back to the lag and jerky framerates etc. ( my lag is even in normal speed, I rarely speed up the clock)

ETA: The time warp I never had until toddler patch. I do not have the kid won't go to school bug. What happens is the Sims (had this last year) want to go speak to someone and it's not in queue or they are waiting for someone (not in queue) and this causes a great deal of freezing and or lag.

thanks
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    way do you think going to school does that ?
    @mirta000

Read the first page with a SimGuru response:
    Regarding simulation lag and gameplay slowdowns:

These are definitely issues my QA team is aware of and has reproduced and filed reports on. The lag is more a symptom of an issue, as opposed to the issue itself. Simulation lag can happen for a variety of reasons, and some of the reasons we've found have been:

- large amount of items in Sim's Inventories
    - large amount of files in the Tray folder
    - large amount of Sims/relationships in the save file
    - using speed 3 for an extended period of time
    - when a child goes to school
    - when interacting with a toddler
    - when children autonomously do homework
    - on San Myshuno apartment lots
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2017
    I have a few questions about the 'large amount of Sims/relationship in save file' reason. Does this mean per lot/Sim/household or does this mean overall? Because a way to solve that since I and many others play the same game for years especially if we rotate, is to remove the 'fake' relationships the game gives our Sims. Wouldn't that cut down on this 'large amount'?

But still want to know what is considered a large amount? Knowing ten Sims by ten other Sims who may live across all the worlds? and at the brink of losing them because of culling but the fake ones are way up there(relationship %) and not even wanted by players.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    I am glad this thread is getting the attention, been complaining about the ultra speed bug for over a year. The simulation lag fix mod solved the problem until the city living came along to broke the mod. I haven't played the game ever since as it was just that bug was letting me down.

Hopefully the issue will be solved soon then I will get back into playing.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    I am glad this thread is getting the attention, been complaining about the ultra speed bug for over a year. The simulation lag fix mod solved the problem until the city living came along to broke the mod. I haven't played the game ever since as it was just that bug was letting me down.

Hopefully the issue will be solved soon then I will get back into playing.

Hello
    You may like to share your save game with SimGuruNick
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15636797/#Comment_15636797
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited April 2017
    mirta000 wrote: »
    way do you think going to school does that ?
    @mirta000

Read the first page with a SimGuru response:
    Regarding simulation lag and gameplay slowdowns:

These are definitely issues my QA team is aware of and has reproduced and filed reports on. The lag is more a symptom of an issue, as opposed to the issue itself. Simulation lag can happen for a variety of reasons, and some of the reasons we've found have been:

- large amount of items in Sim's Inventories
    - large amount of files in the Tray folder
    - large amount of Sims/relationships in the save file
    - using speed 3 for an extended period of time
    - when a child goes to school
    - when interacting with a toddler
    - when children autonomously do homework
    - on San Myshuno apartment lots

I meant do you have a theory on why ?
    it does it for school and seemingly not for other things
    and did you notice most of the bugs seem to have to do with
    teens and kids @mirta000
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Can someone please explain how my Sim (which I hadn't played on rotation in a month or so) wound up with a boatload of inventory? He runs an oddity shop and furnishes it with herbal potions and all the weird stuff from OR that other Sims I play may need without me having to take them on vacation. This is part of the problem of lag so it's important.

I had visited his store when playing another Sim and sometimes he was there and sometimes he wasn't. He would be there and the employees I hired for him, then sometimes it would be his employees and some new NPC employees.

Anyway, I played him and found loads of OR content in his inventory. I mean loads. (47 of this, 25 of that, 35 of this, twelve of that etc.) How did he wind up with all that? and if inventory stuff is part of the problem of lag and jerky framerates etc. then should he have had that much in inventory? I would never leave him with that much stuff in inventory, it was so much I had a hard time sorting it and getting rid of it.

ETA: The only reason I did play him recently was to check on his store. Because the last time I had a Sim visit it and bought a vampire lore book I switched to many other households. And I started to get messages the store didn't have any inventory, to please go to live mode and set things for sale. What? The visit to his store was weeks ago and many families since then. That is why I went to check on his store and him and found all that stuff in inventory but he had plenty for sale, too.

He had over 40 false mushrooms! just to start... I would never pick that many so I know it wasn't my doing.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    Can someone please explain how my Sim (which I hadn't played on rotation in a month or so) wound up with a boatload of inventory? He runs an oddity shop and furnishes it with herbal potions and all the weird stuff from OR that other Sims I play may need without me having to take them on vacation. This is part of the problem of lag so it's important.

I had visited his store when playing another Sim and sometimes he was there and sometimes he wasn't. He would be there and the employees I hired for him, then sometimes it would be his employees and some new NPC employees.

Anyway, I played him and found loads of OR content in his inventory. I mean loads. (47 of this, 25 of that, 35 of this, twelve of that etc.) How did he wind up with all that? and if inventory stuff is part of the problem of lag and jerky framerates etc. then should he have had that much in inventory? I would never leave him with that much stuff in inventory, it was so much I had a hard time sorting it and getting rid of it.

ETA: The only reason I did play him recently was to check on his store. Because the last time I had a Sim visit it and bought a vampire lore book I switched to many other households. And I started to get messages the store didn't have any inventory, to please go to live mode and set things for sale. What? The visit to his store was weeks ago and many families since then. That is why I went to check on his store and him and found all that stuff in inventory but he had plenty for sale, too.

Does he have the klepto trait? And are the items in his inventory the ones he sells in the store?
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    DeKay wrote: »

Does he have the klepto trait? And are the items in his inventory the ones he sells in the store?

Yes, and no these are the ingredients it takes to make potions. But I only took him back to OR once, and I know I put some of that stuff in the chest at his house and at the store but I'm talking like twelve etc. I would never collect that much it was way over a hundred of stuff of all kinds, I hate collecting, lol) But maybe the locust and other bugs are things he sells but not the fireleaf etc.
  • Options

He had over 40 false mushrooms! just to start... I would never pick that many so I know it wasn't my doing.

Hello
    Other simmers have also posted about this issue occurring in their games. When they have come back to sims that they weren't playing, they have found many collectibles in their inventories.
  • Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    I'm dealing with severe time issues, it will go back hours. It's something I thought I was dealing with on my own and I thought my laptop was doing this. I'm noticing that time will go back around ten minutes for some people, which I would love to happen to me! It's happening to me mostly at night.

I'm so upset one of the pieces of advice we have been given is to not have children, that's not cool at all! The only reason I sit and play this game is to experience the children.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I'm dealing with severe time issues, it will go back hours. It's something I thought I was dealing with on my own and I thought my laptop was doing this. I'm noticing that time will go back around ten minutes for some people, which I would love to happen to me! It's happening to me mostly at night.

I'm so upset one of the pieces of advice we have been given is to not have children, that's not cool at all! The only reason I sit and play this game is to experience the children.

Hello
    I am sorry that you are having these issues. Try seeing if the suggestions in this link thread may help in your game.
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/WORK-IN-PROGRESS-Issues-with-time-Clock/m-p/5095254#M34676
  • Options
    RetrovanianRetrovanian Posts: 580 Member
    The only thing I have noticed with the Lag issue is the fact that on my new Super Machine there is no Lag unless I get that skill sound during the Lot Loading instead of the usual music. This is documented on my Topic funny sound getting desparate. On Playing on my older Machine with an older i7 CPU and an NVidia GTX 570 the lag is terrible and to the point of being unplayable and that is still a fast machine.
    What sort of Computer do you need to play The Sims 4 ??
    There are too many Bugs that are not being fix in a timely fashion I.M.H.O. while new content is still being released.
    Yes I have sent all details and files to Nick.
    Something is seriously wrong with this game engine as 64 Bit should make it use more Ram which should in theory increase performance.
    Kind regards James.
  • Options
    Katybug273Katybug273 Posts: 446 Member

I've come to conclusion that a lot of the sims this is happening to in my game are also appearing as flea market vendors when I'm playing another family so I believe the flea market has something to do with this issue. The bad part is if you are trying to play without cheating and do say a collection aspiration, you get awards & certificates as if you really went and found all those silly frogs.

Anyone else having issues with newest patch and art murals? I don't know if it's a city issue in general because tbh I quit going to city festivals awhile ago with the lot/group lot lag. They are unplayable and not fun. (Waste of money but eh) But I went to museum there today to paint mural for my art critic job and he loop washes mural, never cleans it. Okay I'll rebuy a fresh mural and dump old one...he just stands there with gold flashy signs at his head staring at blank mural. I have a feeling city wasn't ready or something that came right behind city has completly messed it up. I'm almost afraid to try going into a bowling alley.
  • Options
    Hello @Katybug273
    Try going back into the game and test to see if the issue with the murals occutrs again,Sometimes coming out of the game then going bsck in again can help.

If the issues still remain, repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or " options " file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder
  • Options
    Katybug273Katybug273 Posts: 446 Member
    Thanks @rosemaw I did all those things and when I got back to my apartment I could use a mural fine, it's only happening at art museum in city. So for me - the lag or the freezing that's occuring randomly on lots that freezes 1 sim and affects all is making the community city lots unusable. As I said, I'd already given up on the festivals but it looks like now it's affecting the lots in general.
    I wish I knew what was causing that because I loved city living but after either toddlers or vamps (I can't say 100% which one) it's been all but broken. When a sim is stuck in mid sentence it seems to freeze every sim on that lot as time passes, festivals end, work clock ticks down if your working and you just stand there like a frog on a log lol
  • Options
    Katybug273 wrote: »
    Thanks @rosemaw I did all those things and when I got back to my apartment I could use a mural fine, it's only happening at art museum in city. So for me - the lag or the freezing that's occuring randomly on lots that freezes 1 sim and affects all is making the community city lots unusable. As I said, I'd already given up on the festivals but it looks like now it's affecting the lots in general.
    I wish I knew what was causing that because I loved city living but after either toddlers or vamps (I can't say 100% which one) it's been all but broken. When a sim is stuck in mid sentence it seems to freeze every sim on that lot as time passes, festivals end, work clock ticks down if your working and you just stand there like a frog on a log lol

Hello
    Perhaps you could go into build mode on the art museum lot, save it to the library, bulldoze the lot, place the library version on the lot and see if the issues remain.
    You may also like to share your save game file with SimGuruNick
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15636797/#Comment_15636797
  • Options
    ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    I have asked this several times before but didnt receive any answer for it. I asked because it was brought up but not explained in any way so far. How many items in the inventory can cause issues? Is it connected to stack size? Or amount of individual stacks present per sim?

For example, my household with 2 adults, 4 young adults and 2 children. 6 of them have repaired countless items so they have more than 99 items of common upgrade parts. Only few of the other parts. Might be a good idea to limit stack size to 99 items because there is no point in carrying more than that really. I only noticed this because I like to loot everything. But dividing stacks is a pain in this game. We need a feature to select multiple items per stack and not just move one after one.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Zasz wrote: »
    I have asked this several times before but didnt receive any answer for it. I asked because it was brought up but not explained in any way so far. How many items in the inventory can cause issues? Is it connected to stack size? Or amount of individual stacks present per sim?

For example, my household with 2 adults, 4 young adults and 2 children. 6 of them have repaired countless items so they have more than 99 items of common upgrade parts. Only few of the other parts. Might be a good idea to limit stack size to 99 items because there is no point in carrying more than that really. I only noticed this because I like to loot everything. But dividing stacks is a pain in this game. We need a feature to select multiple items per stack and not just move one after one.

I've never seen an item count. I suspect that the item count before lag would depend on your CPU.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    If thats the case I have to question the design of the game if the least minimum pc requirement isnt sufficient to handle a decent packed house and a few rows of inventory that dont actually move from their location unless moved or interacted with.
  • Options
    If thats the case I have to question the design of the game if the least minimum pc requirement isnt sufficient to handle a decent packed house and a few rows of inventory that dont actually move from their location unless moved or interacted with.

For most people, inventory is a non-issue. When we've seen reports of inventory being an issue, it has most commonly been with people running near the minimum specs who keep everything in inventory - eg all their harvestables and all their collectables - often because they think that the collection record relies on that. I've seen no recent lag reports that were solved by emptying inventory.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    I still dont know how much actually is much regarding inventory. Or when it reaches the point to cause any trouble.
  • Options
    I still dont know how much actually is much regarding inventory. Or when it reaches the point to cause any trouble.

It depends on your computer. Nobody can give you a number.
  • Options
    jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I've noticed that when you play the game offline, slowdowns get less noticeable. They still happen, but less than when I play online.
    Don't know if it has to do anything with this problem, but it helps me a little bit.
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top