Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

IDK, Barbara? (We are bad at naming things) -- A United Reading Heptagon

Comments

• LillyDovesLillyDoves Posts: 698 Member
    @CitizenErased14 @AudreyFld @Cement Thanks for the advice! I will definitely keep everyone’s opinion in mind as I move forwards!

Haha so when I update again which will hopefully be tomorrow or Wednesday, which character would everyone like to hear from first?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
    Is anyone else having a problem with marrying two sims right now?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    LillyDoves wrote: »

Sorry, I haven’t tried. What’s happening?
    AudreyFld wrote: »

It has the option grayed out and it says you cannot marry a sim you employ. I had them both quit their jobs and it still says that.
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
    edited December 2017

It has the option grayed out and it says you cannot marry a sim you employ. I had them both quit their jobs and it still says that.
    Strange. Sounds like a glitch. Try repairing your game and pulling out any mods and see if that helps...clear cache. All the standard fixes.
  • ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member

Do they have romantic relationships with other sims? If your sims have too many partners this glitch happens.
    4s8gctV.png
    The Landon Legacy Wordpress // Forums|
    Chasing Rainbows: Wordpress // Forums
    Hey everyone! It’s been a long time since we have had any discussion here! What is everyone’s preferred method of writing? Screen shots first or writing? Heavy planning or spontaneous?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
    edited February 2018
    Hey everyone! It’s been a long time since we have had any discussion here! What is everyone’s preferred method of writing? Screen shots first or writing? Heavy planning or spontaneous?

Hey! Well I would say it depends wholly on how you are playing the game.

If you are playing and then writing about what happens I would guess you would do screenshots and then just narrate them. The ISBI challenge lends itself well to this. Of course any other challenges where you are following the rules will too I suppose. You just make up stories to match the screenshots.

When I did Starting Over, I had come up with a back story for Kaitlin. Then I did try to play according to the rules and just took screenshots of what was happening. The Starting Over challenge is so random as to what has to happen each day that it made it fun to write around things that had to happen, like getting pregnant and teen pregnancies...of course, after about 15 chapters, the story took over and I rolled for the random events well ahead so I could better shape the direction of the story....

Now if you are using a challenge just to create drama, (which is what eventually happened with Starting Over) you would likely write first and screen shot later. This is how I do my story New Beginnings story. I am using Build Newcrest combined with I’m a Lover Challenge to give me ideas for what’s going to happen with each generation. Before I even started writing New Beginnings, I had completely outlined Ben’s entire generation. (Yes, I knew Grace was going to die. :'( Still I cried real tears because I fell in love with her.) Anyway, I started writing and writing and writing....lol....I had quite a bit written before I even did one screen shot. And I have now written all the way to when Cole becomes a teen and have a good outline of his generation.

• CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Wooh thanks for reviving the thread @LillyDoves !

Audrey said it really well! A lot depends on your story and style.

In gen 1 of A2A, I always screenshotted first... but that didn’t last long :joy: I now plan and write everything ahead of time, then stage the screenshots I need :blush:
    snvAF3B.png

If you are playing and then writing about what happens I would guess you would do screenshots and then just narrate them. The ISBI challenge lends itself well to this. Of course any other challenges where you are following the rules will too I suppose. You just make up stories to match the screenshots.

When I did Starting Over, I had come up with a back story for Kaitlin. Then I did try to play according to the rules and just took screenshots of what was happening. The Starting Over challenge is so random as to what has to happen each day that it made it fun to write around things that had to happen, like getting pregnant and teen pregnancies...of course, after about 15 chapters, the story took over and I rolled for the random events well ahead so I could better shape the direction of the story....

Now if you are using a challenge just to create drama, (which is what eventually happened with Starting Over) you would likely write first and screen shot later. This is how I do my story New Beginnings story. I am using Build Newcrest combined with I’m a Lover Challenge to give me ideas for what’s going to happen with each generation. Before I even started writing New Beginnings, I had completely outlined Ben’s entire generation. (Yes, I knew Grace was going to die. :'( Still I cried real tears because I fell in love with her.) Anyway, I started writing and writing and writing....lol....I had quite a bit written before I even did one screen shot. And I have now written all the way to when Cole becomes a teen and have a good outline of his generation.

WHAT? Why did she have to die?! :'(

Ok trantrum finished! I think I do a little bit of both depending on what’s happening. I think I got in way over my head with all the drama but didn’t have the planning to keep it all together.

@CitizenErased14 No problem! I miss our talks. We need our family back!
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic

Ok trantrum finished! I think I do a little bit of both depending on what’s happening. I think I got in way over my head with all the drama but didn’t have the planning to keep it all together.

Yeah, that was the plan before I ever met her...that she would die and he would be a single father. But her death is bringing healing. It was dang hard too! :bawling: I bawled writing the chapters and then screenshooting them was just as bad. I cried when they were together because I knew it wasn't going to last...it was really awful. @CitizenErased14 can tell you about that. She killed off Luc and knew it was going to happen before it did too... :bawling:

Yeah, that was the plan before I ever met her...that she would die and he would be a single father. But her death is bringing healing. It was dang hard too! :bawling: I bawled writing the chapters and then screenshooting them was just as bad. I cried when they were together because I knew it wasn't going to last...it was really awful. @CitizenErased14 can tell you about that. She killed off Luc and knew it was going to happen before it did too... :bawling:

Awww the horrors of Simlit! I half planned on Toby way back then and I cried when Isabel was playing the piano for the chapter. I guess some deaths are necessary for character development and plot. Which brings me to our second question!

Why do you kill off characters? Plot? Character development? Not like them? What makes it hard to do?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
    Why do you kill off characters? Plot? Character development? Not like them? What makes it hard to do?
    Well....this is my first murder as a simlit writer, well actually not. Hmmm. See the story below in the spoiler. But this is my first time killing off someone in a story intended for others to read. Why? I did it for character growth. It was hard because I knew it was coming and she was a loved character. I would do it for a plot too - maybe like a murder mystery. But I wouldn’t do it just because I didn’t like them. Now if I were just playing the game and not writing, I would probably do it if they were annoying in game! >:)
    My very first foray into simlit is a poorly done supernatural story about a woman born to human and a fairy. She discovered the potion to reverse aging and became immortal. Therefore she moved from town to town leaving behind children after husbands died. So she married a human (froze to death), a witch (electrocuted), a vampire (staked by another vampire) another human (died by transmutation) who helped her ‘heal’ her ghost son from her first husband, and finally married a genie that she fell madly in love with and they had a ton of kids one who married a vampire, another married a werewolf and the last one married a witch. Anyway, I couldn’t kill off the genie so I had them bring back her mother from the dead. And reunited her with her father who wasn’t dead but in a magical coma, while they searched for their missing daughter.
    Well....this is my first murder as a simlit writer, well actually not. Hmmm. See the story below in the spoiler. But this is my first time killing off someone in a story intended for others to read. Why? I did it for character growth. It was hard because I knew it was coming and she was a loved character. I would do it for a plot too - maybe like a murder mystery. But I wouldn’t do it just because I didn’t like them. Now if I were just playing the game and not writing, I would probably do it if they were annoying in game! >:)
    My very first foray into simlit is a poorly done supernatural story about a woman born to human and a fairy. She discovered the potion to reverse aging and became immortal. Therefore she moved from town to town leaving behind children after husbands died. So she married a human (froze to death), a witch (electrocuted), a vampire (staked by another vampire) another human (died by transmutation) who helped her ‘heal’ her ghost son from her first husband, and finally married a genie that she fell madly in love with and they had a ton of kids one who married a vampire, another married a werewolf and the last one married a witch. Anyway, I couldn’t kill off the genie so I had them bring back her mother from the dead. And reunited her with her father who wasn’t dead but in a magical coma, while they searched for their missing daughter.

Yeah I would have to agree that it is hard to kill off a character that is loved. Toby was loved character and the only father figure she had. I don’t think she would be where she is now if Juniper didn’t kill him.

Before I decided to not have it flash forwards I had a chapter planned where Isobel and Serene found their mother in the midst of committing suicide. Right before she would have passed she was going to beg them for forgiveness and explain she did everything to protect them.

Anyways, I don’t think I could kill off a character that I didn’t like just to do it.

Is anyone having problems with finding the teleportation statue? Was there an update to mod?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Hi guys! It was a bit of a hectic week for me. I recently started a new job that's kicking me at the moment (literally, if I'm talking about what happened today)
    BUT THAT ASIDE I wish I could say I'm progressing well on my story, but I haven't had much time to really write at all this week. I feel disappointed in myself for that. :pensive:

How's everyone feeling?

What is everyone’s preferred method of writing? Screen shots first or writing? Heavy planning or spontaneous?
    Writing with spontaneous planning.
    I'm a sporadic writer, so I write parts inconsistently and not in chronological order. Like I have parts written for both the current chapter for my story, but also random parts for future chapters as far as... A certain someone's unborn child.
    As a teenager.
    I don't even think I'd ever write his story since it gets pretty juicy and I think White Lies has too much sugary substances that it's giving people diabetes
    It'd be better if I actually wrote everything out before screenshotting anything but I think I never would've met anyone in the simlit forum if I had since I'm so slow. It would definitely keep me on track if I did, but I don't... It's kind of hard to, but I try to.

My original outline for White Lies is vague and I always change out ideas for ones I think have better substance. It's a pretty bad method since it ended up getting this complex and only at chapter 15! ...Or 196, if I'm counting it by parts.

My other story is more planned since I'm trying to make it shorter with less complexity, but yeah... I only got about 30 or so chapters on it and it's not done yet... I haven't brought anything new that wasn't planned beforehand. Hopefully it'd stay that way... Or else I'll need more sims to kill. LOL

All those reasons.
    For simlit, I honestly killed Royce 'cause he's an eyesore and I really hate his smug face--And yeah, character development. For Joseph.
    I... Don't really find it hard to kill any of my characters. I think it's because it's a wonderfully cheap tactic to thin the herd.

That line made me sounds very unsympathetic, but yeah... I get sorta tired of writing for different people, and I actually feel kind of relieved when I kill them. It's like a "see ya on the flipside *fingerguns out of the room*" kind of feeling. For me anyways.

Maybe it's just because I don't really care for much about my own characters aside from other peoples' :joy: I hate my characters, but I love them too... To an extent.
    Discussion Time! What kind of CC does everyone use and why?

I have been using maxis match but I am really drawn to all the alpha cc I've seen. I think MM fits in better with the sims but on the other hand I think Alpha is really pretty. What about everyone else?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
    @LillyDoves I prefer my sims to look like actual sims, so I stick to Maxis Match myself :) I recently switched to custom eyes (so subtle no one has noticed though! Haha) and 3D lashes (I used to use 2D ones) but I otherwise stick to maxis match for things like hair and clothing. Just a personal preference :) As a reader, I don’t care much about whether it’s MM or alpha as long as it’s a good story with well-composed shots :blush:
    snvAF3B.png
    @LillyDoves I prefer my sims to look like actual sims, so I stick to Maxis Match myself :) I recently switched to custom eyes (so subtle no one has noticed though! Haha) and 3D lashes (I used to use 2D ones) but I otherwise stick to maxis match for things like hair and clothing. Just a personal preference :) As a reader, I don’t care much about whether it’s MM or alpha as long as it’s a good story with well-composed shots :blush:

What is a well composed shot and a well-written story to you?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic

Haha oh, that's really hard to define!!!

Um, I guess a well-written story, in my book, would be one that uses proper grammar/spelling, has a plot that is well-paced and flows nicely, and characters/emotions that I can connect with in some way :) And well-composed screenshot would convey the right emotion for the scene/fit the chapter. Focused on the character we are supposed to be reading about too :) I prefer close-up shots.
    snvAF3B.png

Haha oh, that's really hard to define!!!

Um, I guess a well-written story, in my book, would be one that uses proper grammar/spelling, has a plot that is well-paced and flows nicely, and characters/emotions that I can connect with in some way :) And well-composed screenshot would convey the right emotion for the scene/fit the chapter. Focused on the character we are supposed to be reading about too :) I prefer close-up shots.

Gotcha, I think I'm still learning then cause I haven't been very good with being consistent haha. I think I've figured out what I need to do fix that though. Another note, I have fallen in love with Alpha.
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
    What kind of CC does everyone use and why?
    I really like alpha hair so I use it almost exclusively for my story. Sadly there aren't many for toddlers/children so they are pretty much stuck with EA hair. However I do use some custom skins, not many though, just depends on the sim, custom eye colors, eyelashes and lipstick. I personally don't mind what others use for their stories. It's just a personal preference for me.

Amanda got this one exactly right! I wouldn't have said it any differently. :) And maybe that is because we write somewhat similarly. IDK. Not that my writing compares to hers at all! But at least our process is similar. We develop the plot and outline our story. We write the chapter and then use the game to capture in pictures what we've written in words. Amanda is a master at capturing feeling in her writing and does a great job with character development. That's no doubt the reason she has such a huge following. :)
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    My son Charlie--The guy I use for my profile pictures all the time--is like, 60% alpha (not fully because then it gets too realistic for me and it makes me scared LOL) but I play completely MM. I don't like inconsistency in my game so I try not to use one with the other. I am guilty of using some vaguely alpha face overlays and 3D lashes, but that's just because I like how sparkly it makes their faces :joy:

I've got to agree with the majority here. I love looking at screenshots, especially ones with pretty backdrops, emotional, and well, no clipping. For me, light clipping is ok but excessive clipping makes me laugh. I just can't take it seriously and I can't get immersed. ...Unless that was the intention and comedy is the genre. Then I'm all for it.

Well-written is as Amanda says, good grammar and pacing.

My own story is a bit stressful since there's a lot going on in every chapter so I don't think I fall into the latter category in this circle (LOL) but I like to think my screenshots hold some water since I love to work on them so much :joy:
    I really like alpha hair so I use it almost exclusively for my story. Sadly there aren't many for toddlers/children so they are pretty much stuck with EA hair. However I do use some custom skins, not many though, just depends on the sim, custom eye colors, eyelashes and lipstick. I personally don't mind what others use for their stories. It's just a personal preference for me.

Amanda got this one exactly right! I wouldn't have said it any differently. :) And maybe that is because we write somewhat similarly. IDK. Not that my writing compares to hers at all! But at least our process is similar. We develop the plot and outline our story. We write the chapter and then use the game to capture in pictures what we've written in words. Amanda is a master at capturing feeling in her writing and does a great job with character development. That's no doubt the reason she has such a huge following. :)

Where do you get your CC from?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
    Where do you get your CC from?
    Almost all of the hair I use comes from TSR - the eyelashes and lipsticks are Kijiko -it's a Japanese site I think but google will translate the page so it makes it easier to navigate. There are skins there too. Basically I will just google what I'm looking for.
    New discussion question! How does everyone choose the spouse or partner for their story? What do you take into consideration while trying to decide?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic