Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

IDK, Barbara? (We are bad at naming things) -- A United Reading Heptagon

Comments

• CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Ugh, I work all this weekend :'( Less reading time than I was hoping. But I'm gonna slowly but surely make my way through, guys. Don't worry! :smiley:
    snvAF3B.png
  • ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member
    edited March 2017
    I love apple pie with vanilla ice cream. :] Otherwise, I do not really like pie, honestly. :pensive: My favorite sweets are guava puffs. I do not know why I love guava things, but I do. My boyfriend came home with guava butter from our local farmers market today and I was beyond happy.

I have one more chapter of @Cement 's story and just caught up with @AkramA ! Slowly getting there. :smiley:
    4s8gctV.png
    The Landon Legacy Wordpress // Forums|
    Chasing Rainbows: Wordpress // Forums
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    edited March 2017
    Dessert - Bananas Foster. Mmmm. :)

Ugh - edited the worst misspelled word ever. Desert instead of dessert. I bet everyone cringed when they saw it....
    Post edited by AudreyFld on
    Sorry to hear that Amanda. :( I look so forward to my days off.
    AudreyFld wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Amanda. :( I look so forward to my days off.

@AudreyFld I have two jobs so I usually work 6 days a week... but my boss at my second job scheduled me for BOTH weekend days this week :bawling: So I'm on day 5 right now of a 13-day streak of working without a day off :'(
    snvAF3B.png
    @CitizenErased14 - ouch! :# I have done that before. But only for a short period of time. Burn out city! Don't worry about us. We will entertain ourselves and have catch up to do as well and @Sourocha will probably throw out a ton of questions for us to answer! :)
  • AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    @Cement, nope, banana trees. I have a big garden containing banana, lime, coconut, mango, and chili. Also I don't think I could name my banana tree because we had to cut it down everytime the fruit come because it only blossom once per tree. They technically didn't die because they had their litle baby clone growing from the sprout.

Oh and RIP Clint!
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I've literally been reading all day. My husband Chris and I also went to see Beauty and the Beast and grab lunch at a restaurant he might end up playing at on the weekends. But I'm caught up on everyone's story except @Sourocha . I was just going in alphabetical order.

Okay, let's see.
    1. Audrey is a fantastic name
    2. Pineapple pizza is the best! I like mine with pineapple and jalapenos together.
    3. Yes, I'm from Chicago, born and raised in the South side. Chris and I moved to New York in summer 2013.
    4. Apple pie with vanilla ice cream is my jam!
    5. Pumpkin pie is okay, but it's got nothing on sweet potato pie.
    6. Dirty jokes are everything, dirty jokes that are clever are even better. But bad puns on the level of dad jokes take the cake.
    7. I've never had guava butter, but it's going on my to do list.
    8. Constructive criticism, said with fairness and compassion, are welcome, specifically from you guys. I feel like I know and can trust your motives. You just want a better story to read. But just know that if you give me criticism, I'll have a thousand follow up questions, lol.
    @cecerose0208 I'm not an english speaker so everytime I saw an english idiom I usually trust wikitionary to let me know until the

"take the cake" meaning
    according to wikitionary
    the meanings are:

Translations
    1. to be especially good
    2. to be especially bad

Wait what? Haha.
    AkramA wrote: »
    @cecerose0208 I'm not an english speaker so everytime I saw an english idiom I usually trust wikitionary to let me know until the

"take the cake" meaning
    according to wikitionary
    the meanings are:

Translations
    1. to be especially good
    2. to be especially bad

Wait what? Haha.

@AkramA Haha It depends on the context :) like Cece was saying she likes all those types of jokes, but bad dad jokes "take the cake" (meaning they are especially good).

But, for example, you could eat a gross food and say "I've had some disgusting pizza before, but this one takes the cake." Meaning it's especially bad :)

So you say things are either good or bad, and then the one that "takes the cake" is MOST good or bad. :)
    snvAF3B.png
    I assume it was good at first until i saw that it can be both. Thanks for explaining because that's the first time I got two meaning in a dictionary. I'm glad Cece like bad pun because I also think bad pun are pun-bearably punny? Right? NO? Too much? Okay then!
  • cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    edited March 2017
    I assume it was good at first until i saw that it can be both. Thanks for explaining because that's the first time I got two meaning in a dictionary. I'm glad Cece like bad pun because I also think bad pun are pun-bearably punny? Right? NO? Too much? Okay then!

Bad puns are bearably punny in my book, keep them coming!

@AkramA did you know what I meant when I called something "my jam"? I use a ton of idioms (and sometimes I use them tangentially from how they're used by the general public), so you'll learn a lot from me, haha. Hopefully Wiktionary is on point when they explain my odd word choices...
  • SourochaSourocha Posts: 1,465 Member
    Oh, @Cement, how it be fake chocolate on it? What's fake chocolate? What's life? How can I know I' didn't only eat fake chocolate my whole life? :D And I would be anooyed by fake chocolate too...never again!
    @AkramA , it must be really nice to have all this trees that give fruits in your house! I know some family members that have some banana trees! You make some recipes with the fruits, or just eat it?
    Ouch! Amanda, aka @CitizenErased14 that's not good! I hope you get some peace and free-time after all this days of work!
    @cecerose0208 Pineapple with jalapeños sound like an interesting pizza!
    @Arrowleaf Yaaaaas! Guava flavor things are heaven! I like most things with guava!
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Literally fake chocolate--It looks like chocolate but it tastes nothing like chocolate and more like plastic on an unsatisfying dry doughnut :sob:
    @Cement That chocolate is a lie! :p
    @CitizenErased14 What kind of jobs do you work? I feel bad for you. :( i used to work two jobs and go long periods without a day off. It was exhausting.

@Sourocha yay someone else who loves guava! Yesterday was my first time having guava butter but it was very good. :)

@Cement the chocolate is a lie reminds me of Portal xD

4s8gctV.png

Bad puns are bearably punny in my book, keep them coming!

@AkramA did you know what I meant when I called something "my jam"? I use a ton of idioms (and sometimes I use them tangentially from how they're used by the general public), so you'll learn a lot from me, haha. Hopefully Wiktionary is on point when they explain my odd word choices...

I've seen them in TV a lot so I'm assuming it's your "kind of thing that you are most likely to favor". I love making up the meaning of idiom everytime I saw one. But new ones keep coming! Can't wait to learn more about it.
    Sourocha wrote: »
    @AkramA , it must be really nice to have all this trees that give fruits in your house! I know some family members that have some banana trees! You make some recipes with the fruits, or just eat it?
    Fresh fruit off the trees usually the best. I do make some recipes for banana because It's not the sweet banana that was very common. It's probably a plantain but couldn't know the difference because it had the same meaning in indonesian.

RE: Fake Chocolate

I love making fake chocolate with brown/palm sugar. Palm Sugar chocolate brownies are one of the best.

@Arrowleaf I am a Middle School Spanish teacher full time, and work part time at a clothing store too.

Someone is covering my shift tomorrow now though! Day off! :)
    snvAF3B.png
    @CitizenErased14 Woot! Yay for the day off! I couldn't work at a clothing store. I would spend everything I made on clothes!
    @AkramA You can do fake chocolate and brownie with brown sugar!? :o I didn't know that! Sounds..diferent! I should try making that someday!
    @CitizenErased14 Hurray! Day off! Nice! :)
    @CitizenErased14 I feel like teaching Middle School would be exhausting by itself... and you also have a second job. Make sure to take care of youself! I am glad you managed to switch shifts with someone, though.

I have a question for everyone.

Do you guys do outlines for your story? If you do, what is your process?

(I call everyone guys, btw!)
    4s8gctV.png
    Okay I am gonna come back to properly answer Arrowleaf's great question (I'm on my phone so I wanna come back and write on the computer!) :)

But while I'm here, I will do some shameless self-promotion :joy:

Every Friday, I post discussion questions in my Ashes to Ashes thread :) Most of you might not be aware of that. I just wanted to let you guys know in case anyone who's caught up wants to stop by and participate :blush: But there's absolutely no pressure to!
    snvAF3B.png
    edited March 2017
    Outlines:

This is a great question and one that I also have. This is what I did based on the type of story I am writing.

Because my story is based on a challenge it already had a built in goal. And indeed, it started out very game driven. How I reached that goal and what happens along the way is random based on the roll of the dice each sim day. So I didn't think I needed anything except a timeline for events like birthdays and when holidays would be.

When I began the challenge, my only outline was the prologue to set the stage and introduce the main characters. Once the challenge actually began, I got to know the characters better based on how they reacted to the random situations forced by the challenge, how they dealt with meeting their needs and how they interacted with the characters they met during game play. I didn't add any townies, just went with what EA added and who was already there. (That is until I realized there were only two teens in my entire town and I needed teens! So I created a few families and added them but that was much later.) As I got to know my characters, I wanted to keep them in character and that was when I felt the need for a more plot driven story and started to map out what would happen for the remainder of the challenge. That doesn't mean it will end up that way, but at least I have a goal for how it will end. I have had to alter it periodically based on the random events. But it looks kind of like this:

Chapter 35 - End of Summer - big fire happens
    Chapter 36 - First day of Fall - School back in session - Fire in newspaper
    Chapter 37 - Halloween - Ben's 11th birthday - other big important thing happens...Reese's baby born etc...
    Chapter 58 - they live happily ever after....The end.

I have a several saves to shoot the story part of the challenge and one save that is the actual game play since it is a challenge and that part still contributes to the story.

This is my first attempt at this so there is probably a much better way!
    Post edited by AudreyFld on
    Okay, to anwser your question, @Arrowleaf ...Yep, I do! Usually, I think about what the next major thing in the story is going to be, like, someone's get's marry or someone has a child, and after that, I go in the details, like, what's going to take for they to end up in there? I think is a good idea to outline this things, that way, you can kind of drop little details as the story goes ( or another thing is happening) so that these details make sense in the future...Most times I use some chapters that look a little filler-ish to build up things in the story...And it also depends if there's going to be any sub-plot to hold the story's atention while the main one is singnificantly calm. :)
    I like reading everyone's answers about outlining! I'm a huge outliner, @Arrowleaf !

I start my outline with what I call a "skeleton". I do a vague bullet-point list of things that are going to happen. Then I "flesh out" (get it... flesh? skeleton? :joy:) the vague list into a chapter-by-chapter outline with a lot more detail.

So, for example, Gen 2 of A2A started with an outline like:

-Mari is betrayed by childhood sweetheart
    -She starts sleeping around and drinking heavily to cope
    -Self-destructive behavior leads to psychological issues
    -She finally has a relationship but isn't ready and pushes him away
    -She gets pregnant and doesn't know who the father is
    -A close call involving her baby leads to the wake-up call she needs to get help

Then I take that and I expand upon it so it turns into an outline of every single chapter :blush:

snvAF3B.png