Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's Your Opinion on the Makeup in TS4?

I want to preface this by saying I don't wear makeup IRL. I have very little experience with it, so it might just be a "me" thing, but I find the makeup in TS4 hard to work with. A lot of it seems too harsh and I often use the same swatches to compensate for it. I like heavy makeup—I think it's beautiful IRL—but it usually comes across as gaudy to me when I try it in TS4. I have trouble with the blush especially—I usually go without because it's almost always too much.

What about you? What are your thoughts on the makeup in TS4? Do you have an easier time with it (if so, I'd love it if you could drop me some tips!), or do you find it just as difficult to work with as I do?

Comments

• aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I miss the opacity tool.
  • Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    I just don't find the in-game makeup appealing, not only they were harsh on the skin tones they are kinda old fashioned too like in the 80's, I rather have some shimmering glowing face powder and some fake lashes if possible.

The Sims Game
  • AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    I miss the opacity tool.
    The opacity tool was legit. I miss it so much from TS3; I hope it makes a comeback in some shape or form.
    Sonia016 wrote: »
    I just don't find the in-game makeup appealing, not only they were harsh on the skin tones they are kinda old fashioned too like in the 80's, I rather have some shimmering glowing face powder and some fake lashes if possible.
    Do you use CC? because I know of some excellent fake lashes.
  • Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    Do you use CC? because I know of some excellent fake lashes.
    [/quote]

Yes I do use cc, they do make a huge difference compared to the in-game unrealistic eye lashes, and I also feel TS3 eye lashes was fine, don't understand why they took it away.

The Sims Game
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited March 2017
    I like a lot of the makeup that came with the base game so that's about all I ever use. I tend to use the same shade of eye shadow and lipstick on all my female Sims. The poor things probably look like clones from a distance.

For casual I use an eye shadow that's near the bottom of the base game options in a light brown. I usually leave eyeliner off because I think they're too dark or thick. I think that the blush options are all too dark and don't look very natural on any skin-tone so I never use it. Many of the lipsticks on Sims with dark skin-tones look pretty bad. On the other hand, a lot of the CC eye shadow, blush and lipstick that I've seen look just as bad on dark skin-tones.

To me, it looks like a lot of the makeup options are geared toward formal and party wear.
  • Aeriexo11Aeriexo11 Posts: 646 Member
    edited March 2017
    IRL, I can go natural or full glam, depending on my mood.
    So for my simmies, in everyday wear I usually make it very natural. I use CC 3D lashes, sometimes a little eyeliner, no eyeshadow, a light blush or this very pretty highlighter that goes on the chin, cheekbones, and nose, and then a very light lip color similiar to the color of their lips.

Full glam is a different story and I don't use the games makeup, except for one of the eyeshadows. I use CC for full glam. I think the lipsticks are a little messy looking.

Edit:
    This is a Sim I recently made in basically full glam
    33257566315_686bb521db_b.jpg

And here is the same sim in a more natural look for her everyday
    33257566795_65da12c3b9_b.jpg

And This is generally how I do their everyday make up.
    32442993863_19791d251b_b.jpg
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Most of the makeup looks ok to me, i like the pale glossy pinks best, but a lot of it does not suit darker skin tones.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    edited March 2017
    I don't like a lot of the make up in game. The lipsticks with the silly lines and things like that are a waste. ( the aliens got more with GTW than there is for normal sims).

Another thing I noticed last night that I don't like is that a lot of the eyes come with heavy upper lid eyeliner already. I suppose that's supposed to represent lashes or something, but I really don't like it at all. I wish they would do an update on make up.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited March 2017
    I would *love* an opacity tool or more regular lipstick and eyeshadow options. I'd would *love* to have more blush options - contouring, bronzer, etc. please? And not just four colours? Plus I'd love to see some current trends like metallic finishes and glitter. There are some things that tend that direction in the Luxury SP and GTW, but I'd like some that picks up a bit more on runway/magazine/club looks. ETA: Also glow-in-the-dark please!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Most of the makeup is far to harsh I only use CC makeup for this reason.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    Makeup has always been terrible in the sims, imo. TS4 is no different. CC is the way to go.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    When Sims 4 was first released, I was extremely disappointed in the makeup...the lips looked great in the thumbnails but when on the sim, you couldn't tell they even had any color it was so faint. The opposite is true of the eyeliner...yikes!

I've gone to strictly cc makeup, skintones and masks. CC creators have done a fantastic job so now everyone has a pleasing face, lol.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    I hate the sims 4 makeup as I think a lot of it looks horrible and tacky so I normally use cc makeup which looks B E A U T I F U L on my sims!
    giphy_1.gif
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I do like some of the make up. I vary up the look for different sims. I would like to see more options and I agree about opacity/a color wheel.

I agree that make up options can get a bit limited for my darker sims. Also, the make up options for the elders are really limited. It's hard to tone things down enough for them.

I never play with the alien make up. More options are always welcome, some softer looks for example and shimmery nudes for different skin tones.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,494 Member
    edited March 2017

Oh, my goodness, the fake eyelashes goes further back. We're talking the sixties and the seventies, people! Yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk. Didn't like then, don't like it now.

To get back on topic, I would like to add that the entire purpose of makeup is simply to enhance what you've already got. Nobody should be looking at your make up job. It's like wearing glasses, you don't want those to be the first thing a person sees about you. For the record, I stopped using base makeup decades ago. It just felt so heavy on my face. Nowadays, I only color in my blonde eyebrows, put a bit of eye shadow on the lids of my eyes, use as fine a line as I can make it on my lid just above the eyelashes to help fill it in, and then use mascara on the blonde eyelashes. Yes, I look like I don't have eyelashes without it. (I am a bonafide redhead.) During the week, I wear nothing on my face, but my glasses. (Can't see too well without 'em.) I hate make up, and were I secure enough, I'd attend church without it, too. One of these days, I'll get bold. I keep wondering how old do I have to get before I'm chided for not wearing it?

As for my Sims. I don't have them wear it to bed. I go as light as possible when they're dressing up. I don't want them walking around looking like trollops — don't know what that means? Look it up. Think lady, think evening. I'm sparing on the blush for that reason, too. I pick the lightest shade possible. Like another poster said, I miss the opacity tool, too.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    In all honestly the in game content is terrible, I can't design a perfect outfit with it. 99% of my sims have mostly cc everything. Some make-up from cc can actually look natural, (such as eyes, and sometimes realistic eyelashes), while none of the ea created make-up looks natural.
  • sallysimnamonsallysimnamon Posts: 81 Member
    I don't mind a lot of the game content but I definitely agree that the makeup is far too harsh for my liking. In general, some of the colours that were chosen for create a sim items are dreadful and I knew straight away that I'd have to download custom content if I wanted my Sims to look anywhere near what I was aiming for. Still, I suppose this sort of thing is down to personal preference. You either love it or hate it. I do very much like some of clothes and hair options but no, the makeup isn't for me! :#
  • pinkishpinkish Posts: 693 Member
    I don't use the makeup because you have to do it for each clothing change. The lipstick with the single line is just silly (really who does that) ? I would like to do one makeup and have it in each category and then I can remove it for sleep wear, or change it for formal, and party...if I choose to.
  • shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    The game make up is terrible. I need some smokey eye and some decent blush, some lipstick that is not gloss and doesn't look like a 7 year old applied it. Glam as shown above, is just not at all glam in the sims 4. More eyeliners please...

I do use cc for make up because it is eons better I am also extremely picky about it because sometimes it looks utterly rediculous depending on the skin tone of the sim.

I would much rather not have to rely on cc at all.
  • SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    The ingame make up is horrible. I use fake eyelashes since I don't understand the block eyelashes (.. so old) and make up cc. I have about.. 20 mb of content in my game which is the only content I have downloaded and mostly is mods and make up. I love soft neutral looks on my sims. It's far more appealing to me.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,494 Member
    pinkish wrote: »
    I don't use the makeup because you have to do it for each clothing change. The lipstick with the single line is just silly (really who does that) ? I would like to do one makeup and have it in each category and then I can remove it for sleep wear, or change it for formal, and party...if I choose to.

That's a little gift from Star Wars. I hate it, too. In fact I hate most of the styles offered.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ElimarnaElimarna Posts: 1,484 Member
    Another one for the hater party here. I don't wear much make-up in real life because it takes too long to apply and I'm horrible at putting it on, but I do like to put it on some of my female Sims. It's so bad in Sims 4, though, that the first time I looked at the options my immediate thought was that it looked like a mid-1990s 14-year-old girl experiencing make-up for the first time was trying to apply it. I've found a couple of options that I can live with, but I'm pretty much stuck with the same make-up for every Sim I make who uses it.

I hate CC, too, so I'm not going that route. Too much risk that something will totally mess up my game and/or computer, and I can't have that. I had a couple things in Sims 3 infect my computer like a virus once, so I'm never doing it again.
  • PotterheadSimPotterheadSim Posts: 320 Member
    The only thing I really like is lipstick from Get Together, everything else is not that great looking.
    We need more options, especially for blush..
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    I miss the opacity tool.

They need to bring it back. Barely any of the makeup actually shows.
    p6tqefj
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    More then 75% of the game makeup is unusable for me. All the weird, bright, loud colored eyeliners are awful. I wish I could just remove them ALL from my game. The ombre lipsticks in unflattering light colors and blue & green .. ugh all 20+ of them need to go, as well as the strange up the entire side of your face shadows and line of harsh blush.
    CC Makeup for The Sims 4 all the way.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top