Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In-game surprises

Supersoph13Supersoph13 Posts: 647 Member
I saw an old thread and it reminded me of a time when I was new to the game and constantly surprised, I didn't know to expect the unexpected :smile:

I remember it like it was yesterday, my beautiful, young, full of life Sim was riding her horse when I got the notification pop up, warning me of the impending doom....

....I panicked, I had heard of this phenomenon before but I didn't know what to do.....

.....I cancelled the horse riding action, I clicked for my sim to 'go here', I clicked, and I clicked and I panicked and I clicked and I yelled "NO!".....

Boom

...Alas it was not to be, there where my Sim once so happily rode on her rather dim horse (oh why oh why didn't he just gallop faster oh right, I cancelled the action ...was a meteorite :cry:

....she passed on at exactly 11:57pm, a time forever embedded into my mind*...

R.I.P Florence** you'll never be forgotten

*ok so that time might not be 'exact' but it really adds to the drama doesn't it.

**err, that might not be her name either

Edit: it helps if you read this in a very sad tone.

:wink:

Soo, what memories do you all have, of a time where your game surprised you? Whether in the past or just today, I would like to know either way (I rhymed that on purpose)
My Sim, living her best life...
pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
#RagsToRiches

Comments

• Options
    I really need this meteorite to kill someone in my Sunset Valley game. I know i need to kill Darlene Dreamer, after she had a son, and Skip Broke, after he had 3 sons ( well, actually 2, and third in a way lol ), but these sudden, unexpected deaths make this game so much enjoyable.
  • Options
    @therealsunsetvalley I was just glad that I could reload an old save - she didn't go back on that horse for a quite a sim while the 2nd time!
    pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
    #RagsToRiches
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I've never had a sim die by meteorite in the sims 3.

The game surprised me the other day. My sim was at the library and somehow she got into an arguement with a pregnant woman there. She was behaving autonomously, I wasn't paying too much attention. The next thing, the pregnant woman went into labour, my sim and another started panicking and my sim had the option to take this woman she had never met before to the hospital.

My sim went and came out a few sim hours later with the woman and her new baby. I thought it was really cute!
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    My first meteor was a moment of pure shock, horror, and heartbreak for me. See, I never bothered with Sims forums during sims 1 (if it was a thing then), Sims 2, and the better part of Sims 3. To be honest, I'd say the first 3/4 of playing sims 3, I didn't even know HOW to navigate the Sims forums. I was one of those newbies that would post that I needed help, then lose the thread forever cause I couldn't figure out how to find my thread again (and it never dawned on me to save it to my bookmarks). So I had no idea meteors were even possible until it happened.

The only things I knew of Sims 3 were from playing, so everything was new and exciting. I heard the meteor music, got the pop up, and stopped my sim from moving while I tried to figure out what was going on.

It didn't end so well for her and I was so shocked and heartbroken that my sim died. That was one time I did exit without saving.... and I avoided the lot that my sim died on for a very long time (can't recall which one it was now) cause I thought maybe the lot was the reason the meteor came and killed my sim.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    @therealsunsetvalley Add an alien, preferably an evil one so that he / she will like it, to your game. Have him / her summon a meteorite with your future victims nearby. Enjoy the chaos >:)
  • Options
    ShojoDaggerShojoDagger Posts: 320 Member
    Well, I've had quite a few surprises. I'm somewhat new to the game & since the remainder of the EPs are currently downloading on Steam, I will probably have quite a few more once I start playing those.

I think one of my first "big" surprises was when my first sim died. She died of old age, nothing as shocking as a meteor etc. but still....there she was one moment, carrying on with her life, working on upgrading her bathroom (she finally had time after retiring), then suddenly she just keels over & the Reaper comes & takes her....

Another smaller surprise was after getting the Late Night EP. I made one of my sims a vampire, then when she would get a date call I would accept & have her feed on the date. One day she got a date call from her romantic interest, instead of drinking from the her lover's arm, she drank from their neck. It was kind of sweet...in a creepy, blood-sucking vampiric way, I mean.
    I uploaded something! (yay) My Studio
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Oh, yeah... another big shock for me was when my uni sim died from ranting about death. I was so shocked an dumbfounded as it happened. I just sit there, staring at the screen, wondering why she died.

I almost exited without saving then, too, but she came back (as they usually do for your 1st rant).

Since I had no idea exactly why she died, I sold the mega phone and steered clear of that, too, until I learned why she died (quite some time later).
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    HalalloverHalallover Posts: 124 Member
    I remember my first meteorite. It destroyed my sims brand new car! 4 sim days after it was just bought. :s
    2dihvli.png
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Just last week, I saw something new while doing one of the same-ole, same-ole things I always do in the middle of the night: following around the dog while everyone else is asleep. She was out in the yard thinking about finding a chew toy when she noticed an alien checking out the garden. She went over, as if she planned to greet him with a sniff . . . but peed on him instead. I've had Pets since it came out (2011ish?), my sims usually have dogs, and I have never seen that before.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I remember my first meteorite hit too.

I had a few sims out back of their house tending their garden.

A meteor hit them and one was killed. She gave Grim a death flower and he spared her.

That's when I found out what the point of death flowers was. Ever since then I have tried to be sure all of my sims have at least one in their inventory.

They got quite rich from collecting the bits of meteor and selling them so it wasn't a bad experience once I got over the surprise.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited February 2017
    Well, if your sim had kept on riding like a mad woman that would have made a really cool action movie scene. :D Imagine the meteor crashing just inches behind them.

Probably my first abduction just after installing Seasons. I don't think I knew a lot about the addition of aliens.. I was more focused on the weather part.

My married sims were on a date. I set up everything on a community beach lot but made sure to set it to "no visitors". They had a candle light dinner and a romantic massage using one of the store sets. Then as I was directing them to slow dance under the moon light outside, the female got the command to "inspect shiny lights" or w/e it says when sims are being abducted. I couldn't cancel it and I quickly realized what was happening. I should have been excited but this darn alien picked the wrong night and totally ruined this planned date.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Animal70Animal70 Posts: 45 Member
    How very apt:

Today's game featured an robber spawning right where my Sim couldn't get to her to apprehend her. I presume she hopped over the fence on to the little plot of land that separates the house from the pond (right up against the fence) and found herself stuck with no where to go. And the pond was stocked with deathfish/angelfish/alley catfish (it should have been piranhas) :p As it was my plum "testingcheatsenabled true" screen froze...and I had to restart the game. :( Oh well...
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    suzses wrote: »
    Just last week, I saw something new while doing one of the same-ole, same-ole things I always do in the middle of the night: following around the dog while everyone else is asleep. She was out in the yard thinking about finding a chew toy when she noticed an alien checking out the garden. She went over, as if she planned to greet him with a sniff . . . but peed on him instead. I've had Pets since it came out (2011ish?), my sims usually have dogs, and I have never seen that before.
    I knew dogs could pee on sims but just reading this made me laugh. I can imagine your surprise and that's pretty funny! Poor alien... what a greeting.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Your OP made me lol :D
    As for your question, what memories do I have of a time where my game surprised me, there was this time when my sim showed some really odd behaviour I'd never seen him doing before and I didn't have a clue why and what it was.

Zwerver_1204_zpsqkfjl9gu.png

Zwerver_1205_zpspc3nbzbb.png

Zwerver_1206_zpszoomvqg9.png

Zwerver_1207_zpsw9dfbyg1.png

O... kay...? :p

I shared my experience here, asking people if they recognized this or could explain to me what was happening and the conclusion was he was behaving 'insane'. He didn't have that trait though, so that didn't make sense. On page 2 the solution was handed to me when someone asked if he'd by any chance had a few drinks at a bar prior to this. And sure enough he had.

Zwerver_1203_zps3rea0u6q.png

Turns out some drinks can temporarily mix up their traits, hence his behaviour. I had no idea that could happen!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    @JoAnne65 wow I didn't know that either! You really can learn something new about the game every day!
  • Options
    adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    my first metorite was a couple months ago (i started playing on july 2013) it was in sunlit tides my sims was going to dinner with his date and through the way i saw a meteor struck a random npc family boom! 2 sims were killed XD
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    I've been playing since release and I *still* have not had a meteor... sigh. Although I do admit to not trying very hard to get one, either.

I don't usually give my sims free reign - none of that autonomous action stuff in my game (which rather defeats the point of high free will... ummm....). The other day my sim was at the park talking to this neon-colored teenage sim, which I allowed, lined up a few interactions, and then panned the camera looking for wildflowers. When I returned the camera to my sim, the queue was gone and my sim had passed out from boredom. What? There she was, just lying there in the park asleep. lol Not as big as a meteor, I know, but I'd never seen this happen before. My son has been playing recently and he'll ask me "what does this do?" or "how do I do xyz" and it has surprised me how many times I've had to say "let me look that up." Love this game.
  • Options
    Well, if your sim had kept on riding like a mad woman that would have made a really cool action movie scene. :D Imagine the meteor crashing just inches behind them.

I'm imagining them galloping down a hill, windswept hair and a face full of terror. It would have looked awesome... almost want to try and recreate this moment now :lol:

@ChelleJo I knew a Sim could die from the protest but didn't realise they could also come back! I purposely never let my Sims protest against death for that reason :hushed: Interesting to know :smile:

@JoAnne65 Yay! I made someone laugh, achievement met :smiley: My sims only ever drink the drinks that give them the party animal trait, if my sim is going to party, they're going to party!

@adamzaid Well that's certainly a date that they'll remember - "oh honey, I was just thinking about the first time you said you loved me, we held hands, had a lovely candlelit dinner.....our neighbours died.....it was a lovely day/night" :lol:

@Surreal I've been playing since release too, and I've only ever had two, the one mentioned and another when ambitions first came out, my sim had the unlucky trait and it burnt out his brand new home! - but I liked that last one cause no Sims died, just alot of fire damage and it created a good story :smile:

pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
    #RagsToRiches
  • Options
    Sim child abandonment: My sim was talking to Molly French about something and she up and leaves...her toddler on the ground beside MY sim. What's my Sim (a self-professed perpetual bachelor) supposed to do? So he up and takes the kid into the house...changes him...makes sure that Fiona is there...and beats feet outta there. What's up with French leaving her toddler in the care of a complete and utter stranger whom she met only two minutes ago?
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @Simasaurus09 I did have a pretty good laugh when I realized what my doggy was doing. Didn't feel too bad for the alien, though, since he was sneaking around on my sims' property in the middle of the night. LOL

@Animal70 That's a pretty interesting toddler abandonment. I do know if a parent calls you up about their kid coming over to play, you're gonna get stuck with the kid (I don't think it happens with toddlers, though), but this doesn't sound like that kind of situation at all. Must have been a big surprise.

@ everyone who doesn't get meteors: From personal experience, I would suggest making a sim you really, really like and are looking forward to playing for a long time, so much so that you forget to save for quite a while. That right there is guaranteed to bring one right down on top of your sim. ;)
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    @suzses. Yeah...as a RL parent, it struck me as kind of odd. But then again. the characters in this game are Sims. I shouldn't be surprised. :D
  • Options
    hannahc1023hannahc1023 Posts: 55 Member
    While I've never seen a meteor kill a sim out of the blue in game... I imagine it must be quite shocking!

I have, however, experimented with the Nraas careers tuning mod assassination.
    Meteors to kill annoying sims on command? Yes, please! :D
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I had built an interesting house. The third level didn't have proper walls all around. It was sort of open for a children's playground with extra floors above including a roof top garden.

One of my sim children was playing up on the third floor when she got killed by a meteor. No warning about the sky getting dark as we were all indoors at the time. Her father must have been near her as he was killed too but he had a death flower.

I really wanted that little girl back in my game. She was a twin. It took a long time for her to eat ambrosia and during that time she stayed a child and her twin aged up to be a teen.

I still have them in my game. But they rarely get played.