Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the fascination with the woodworking bench?

My sims can basically do what they want, but it seems that when they are done doing what I ask of them, like Writing Jingles to make simoleons, they seem tp head straight to the woodworking bench, even though there are plenty of other things they can do to occupy their time. Is this just because of my traits? How I have played my sims? or does this happen to a lot of others? I always know where to look for them if I have stepped away for a bit and they have finished what I want them to do. Thank you

Comments

• TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited February 2017
    Have you tried exiting the household and going back to it? My sims are all aspiring internet trolls, apparently, and it seems to be independent of traits. Maybe Sims just trend towards nearby object with the highest fun (or whatever is relevant) rating.

Better than leaving half finished glasses of water in every corner imaginable, I suppose.
    dgvibNQ.png
  • LiseyLisey Posts: 195 Member
    I rolled carpenter for my random legacy and no lie, that bench is like catnip to every Sim that enters that house (if Sims were cats). I constantly have to scrap projects from guests before she can earn her money. >:-(
  • WyrrenWyrren Posts: 724 Member
    I took out the workbench because of this. I guess it's a bug. I also had to take out the vanity tables (kids are using the vanity autonomously anywhere in the house). Wish they had fixed some more things last patch. Reading the notes, I actually said out loud, "that's it!?" -.-
    Origin ID: Wyrren
  • KimmmyGibbblerKimmmyGibbbler Posts: 120 Member
    It seems to happen irregardless of what traits they have. I had to move my woodworking bench closer to the main house, which made it seem way less annoying than when it was way in the back back... With 7 sims in a household, it's a guarantee that every minute of every day someone is woodworking away. <3 K.
    Ps. Better than their mouths not moving in time with the vocal tracks!!!
    #TheresAPatchForThat #CanWeGetAPatchForThis
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Yes it happened sometimes after City Living, all sims in my game are now obsessed with that bench and it's infuriating.
    Maybe it has to do with art centers so that it is used autonomously on these lots, but it's doing it everywhere ? I don't know.
    And I don't think that's ever gonna be fixed, we'll have to rely on mods, like nixing troll teh forums.
  • Skcaga6Skcaga6 Posts: 3,399 Member
    Make a little room in the basement. Put in the workbench, a bed, a toilet, a shower, a fridge, a stove. Stick a sim down there and delete the stairs. Make him build, build, build, so you can then sell, sell, sell.
    wotgen6.gif?w=656
  • alifesizeddollalifesizeddoll Posts: 55 Member
    Yup mine too.
    I eventually just started putting it in my inventory when the sim that needed it was done because I was getting so frustrated!
    I do hope that eventually it's a patch that's fixed.
    like vines we intertwined carelessly growing up and growing old; life was on our tongue

Gallery: alifesizeddoll
  • megiaremegiare Posts: 421 Member
    I just deleted the workbench out of a house I deleted off the gallery b/c my sims were also constantly trying to use it whenever free.
    aD9wyNW.jpg
  • AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I needed the workbench to skill up handiness, so I put one into my house and then locked it off to all sims but the one I wanted to skill. I find it's the best solution for now. The workbench and the basketball hoop are too addictive to have around otherwise.
  • megiaremegiare Posts: 421 Member
    I needed the workbench to skill up handiness, so I put one into my house and then locked it off to all sims but the one I wanted to skill. I find it's the best solution for now. The workbench and the basketball hoop are too addictive to have around otherwise.

That's a good idea. My husband sim has high handiness, but I guess I picked a lot of low reliability items. Plus items like to break in pairs and sometimes threesomes.
    aD9wyNW.jpg
  • MysticOneMysticOne Posts: 460 Member
    My sims can basically do what they want, but it seems that when they are done doing what I ask of them, like Writing Jingles to make simoleons, they seem tp head straight to the woodworking bench, even though there are plenty of other things they can do to occupy their time. Is this just because of my traits? How I have played my sims? or does this happen to a lot of others? I always know where to look for them if I have stepped away for a bit and they have finished what I want them to do. Thank you

I have the same issue. Ended up removing the bench because it seemed to take up every minute of their task free day.
  • LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    It could be because of the lot traits. I could be wrong but when I put on a lot trait that related to the handiness skill all of my sims would work at the bench. If I had a lot trait that related to the mixology skill my sims would then do nothing but make drinks.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    I've never really used the bench, what is the best thing it can make?
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Keks_MilchKeks_Milch Posts: 513 Member
    Wyrren wrote: »
    I took out the workbench because of this. I guess it's a bug. I also had to take out the vanity tables (kids are using the vanity autonomously anywhere in the house). Wish they had fixed some more things last patch. Reading the notes, I actually said out loud, "that's it!?" -.-

Agree with you. They really need to fix these two items. Sadly had to remove both of them from my hosehold too. :(
  • purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member

I thought I was the only one having this problem. The obsession with the bench is bad enough, but the strange thing I've noticed is that the unfinished sculptures (because it's always sculptures, never furniture) seem to be layering over one another. Usually, if there is an unfinished project on the bench no one can start a new one until it has been finished or scrapped; with these autonomous sculptures, I'll click on the bench and see 4 or 5 "Scrap Woodwork" options at the same time, even though there is only one visible. All of them have to be scrapped before I can intentionally have a Sim craft something, but they can autonomously start a new sculpture no matter how cluttered the bench is.

The other strange thing is that clicking on the fun motive to auto-solve will often send them to the bench, despite the fact that woodworking doesn't actually raise the fun bar.

I guess there is a slight silver lining as most of my Sims now have handiness skill, which I rarely intentionally build up, but I still really hope they fix this soon.
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    I have noticed this too.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,465 Member
    edited February 2017
    I've recently experienced this annoying problem. Even when I direct her to take care of the baby, she goes out to build something. You built a baby, you Ninny of a Sim, try taking care of HIM, okay? If I didn't need them to create stuff for their mercantile store, I'd nix the bench.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Fiever7Fiever7 Posts: 884 Member
    This is like my TV and PC in their homes. They lose their plum and constantly go back and forth.

Reading? NOPE! TV TIME!!!
    It's really frustrating to the point I took the TV out of my home
    IRJsECv.png
  • Keks_MilchKeks_Milch Posts: 513 Member
    Urgh yeah the TV/PC thing is super annoying too. My bookworm sim is constantly watching TV while there are many books for her to read.
    How does that even happen...
  • CaitxcatCaitxcat Posts: 680 Member
    Was this always a thing? I canmt remember having it before. But I didn't use it much in the beggining
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Stick it in a shed building and lock the door until you want them to use it.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I had to laught at the comment about it being like catnip. That is so accurate. Even the butler loves to use it.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    My Sim's ladyfriend moved in last night. She had six knife blocks in her inventory. I had her sell them at a yardsale.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,404 Member
    I have had to take out all woodworking benches. I wish they fixed it already.
    ladybreid wrote: »
    I've never really used the bench, what is the best thing it can make?
    You can make different type of sculptures and furniture when you get more skilled.