March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

computer restarts, freezes & blacks out while playing

Hi, I could use some help. I tried googling but I got totally lost in all the results.

warning: I know nothing about computers. :D

the issues while playing:

- computer randomly freezes, can't move mouse, can't do anything, have to force shut. (this happens every session)
- computer randomly restarts itself without warning (less frequently)
- lots of "sims freezing but time moves" moments
- stops responding a lot

it's almost unplayable because of this.

other issues:

- when starting computer, the screen goes black for some minutes and I can't use it. that can't be good right?

things I have tried:

- uninstalled things (my memory is just half used, that can't be the problem right?)
- updated my drivers (I THINK)
- deleted mods and cc

dxdiag 1 2

I really can't afford to upgrade anything right now, so any help/insight on this is very appreciated!

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    Hello
    Make sure that the game is using your nvidia graphics card. This thread explains how to do that
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/776882/sims-4-and-switchable-graphics-how-to-nvidia-amd

Try switching between 32 bit mode and 64 bit mode and see if one of the modes helps the issues more than the other
    Go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture.
    Click on “Game Properties”. Click on Advanced Launch options.
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”
    Or change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 64-bit”

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or " options " file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Sounds like hardware issues to me. When did you last clean out your case? Do you have a lot of air running around it? Have you tried turning graphics settings down? Playing on 32-bit mode, which seems to push the CPU less? The restarting-computer thing typically comes down to a CPU or power supply problem.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    also sounds like they are low on ram along with everything else as window will shut the pc down just as the IO said it does if the ram gets too low.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Sounds like hardware issues to me. When did you last clean out your case? Do you have a lot of air running around it? Have you tried turning graphics settings down? Playing on 32-bit mode, which seems to push the CPU less? The restarting-computer thing typically comes down to a CPU or power supply problem.
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    also sounds like they are low on ram along with everything else as window will shut the pc down just as the IO said it does if the ram gets too low.

Their CPU is fine and they have enough ram. Op's video card is on the lower end with DDR3 vram. I agree with @luthienrising the case needs to be cleaned. OP may not have enough airflow or something might be wrong with the PSU

@lejoninna I would try cleaning out your case of dust. Having good airflow in your case is a must. Try lowing your in game resolution. Your video card is not designed to run games in 1080p resolution. Try 32 bit mode for the game. Lowering your game settings. Try windowed mode. You can even try checking off laptop mode in game options. You will have to play with the settings to see which may work for you. If none of this works, your Power supply may be failing. I would take your computer into a repair shop and have them check your computer
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 2017
    deleted
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Their CPU is fine and they have enough ram. Op's video card is on the lower end with DDR3 vram. I agree with @luthienrising the case needs to be cleaned. OP may not have enough airflow or something might be wrong with the PSU

@lejoninna I would try cleaning out your case of dust. Having good airflow in your case is a must. Try lowing your in game resolution. Your video card is not designed to run games in 1080p resolution. Try 32 bit mode for the game. Lowering your game settings. Try windowed mode. You can even try checking off laptop mode in game options. You will have to play with the settings to see which may work for you. If none of this works, your Power supply may be failing. I would take your computer into a repair shop and have them check your computer
    Tend to agree with problems with the PSU, I having problems with my computer a few years back and thought it was the video card and come to find out it was the PSU, the PSU was full of dust. The PSU also needs to blown out as well.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    I would check your cpu temperatures first, There has been allot of people having your same issues and their cpu temps have been very high. (mostly people that have "off the shelf " Branded desktops like you have.)
    Monitor your temperatures when playing using this
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
    And leave the program open while playing then close the game and check the MAX cpu temperature on all cores.
    My second guess would be as said above.. power supply issue.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide