Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does the expression of an Avi influence how you perceive a comment?

Does the expression of an Avi influence how you perceive a comment?

I was just reading through a thread and I read one comment and it seemed hostile. As if the person that typed it had to explain it one more time they would explode.

I read the comment a couple more times. There was nothing in it to indicate emotion good or bad.

I glanced over at the poster's avi and it was a vampire making a "RawR" face.

I wonder how many of the comments I thought were hostile, just seemed that way because the avi looked angry.

Comments

• joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    Haha, sometimes an Avi does seem to match the tone of the post. I can't say if it influences me though. :)
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Avi as in avatar?
    For me, no. I dont think too much of the avatar.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • WyrrenWyrren Posts: 724 Member
    Not for me, no. But I find myself adding smiley faces to every post, just to make sure people don't take it the wrong way. :)
    Origin ID: Wyrren
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Avi as in avatar?
    For me, no. I dont think too much of the avatar.

This. It's just an avi.

--T
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Mine can be a facepalm or a cute smiling moment. The forums make me usually feel one or the other so I think my avatar reflects that.

But in general, I don't tend to judge a comment by the avatar of the person posting it.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Mine can be a facepalm or a cute smiling moment. The forums make me usually feel one or the other so I think my avatar reflects that.

But in general, I don't tend to judge a comment by the avatar of the person posting it.

So it is... lol your avi is forever going to be facepalming every time I see you comment! :naughty::lol:

--T
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I see a lot of toddlers these days so maybe that is why I am seeing less hostility? :blush:

Usually though I do often perceive a Simmer as looking like their avi though. I usually have female Sims in mine and a lot of people think that I am a girl... :no_mouth:

At the moment I have two Sims. Maybe now people would think I am two people? :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Not so much avatars, but there's one user with a gif in her signature, and every time I see it I think her comments are really aggressive. They're not, but the gif makes it seem like she is. (Her gif isn't even actually aggressive, but just has a certain musician make a very sudden movement without blinking, that makes it seem aggressive.)
    wJbomAo.png
  • foussifoussi Posts: 642 Member
    My avi makes my comments look like i am smart ....not.
  • Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,167 Member
    foussi wrote: »
    My avi makes my comments look like i am smart ....not.

Ahahaha . . . and my age is on the other end of the spectrum from my avatar :smiley:
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited February 2017
    I sometimes fear that people mistake me for @friendlysimmers.

The avs help me with recognizing simmers, but I guess it could affect how I percieve the tone of their post, specially if I don't know them. I have signatures set for text only, so no pictures there.
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    Let me get this straight, the AVi is the little picture on the left under our username. The siggy or signature picture is what some have at the bottom of their post.

Sometimes I will tell a poster that I find their Avi or siggy scary, But I think they put them up because they want them to be scary or they really like them. But I never intend my comment to be rude or nasty/ I'm just saying that they scare me. when I see their comment or post I just scroll so I can read their comment but not see the offending picture.
    I don't judge a person by the Avi or Siggy.
    You can come across a nice Avi and Siggy and the post or comment can still be offensive or antagonistic.

But please fellow simmers, don't think I am rude or offensive in any of my comments, because I really don't mean to be.
    I did comment on the Vampire eating someones face, But I wasn't intentionally being nasty. <3
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Just posting so I can keep an eye on this thread
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

Admittedly a bit late, but I just got that!

Avis help me identify who's saying what, that's about it.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Though I must admit, when I changed to the avi I have now, having never had a sim in my avi before and deciding my avi was suddenly "all professional-looking" I didn't recognise my own posts. :D
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • justdancerebeccajustdancerebecca Posts: 1,334 Member
    Subconsciously, sometimes yeah, it's not like I (or anyone else) sit(s) there saying "they look like a jerk". Although that's how the human brain technically works.
    wr7jm5.png&quot

• NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    The avatar adds to the comment because it is either representative of the poster's personality or physical appearance. Since you usually don't know which, they can throw you off. I usually assume everyone on the forum is female unless they say otherwise, so if the avatar is female in any form, I probably associate it with their appearance. I say 'probably' because I try not to imagine what people here actually look like. Especially with the frequent threads complaining about how unfortunate looking or chubby their sims are, I just assume I am conversing with a lot of very fit and attractive people on this forum.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I like to think that having an Inquisitive toddler as my avi helps people subconsciously take my pedantic nature as childlike wonder, rather than the blunt-force interrogation that it can come across as without body language.

Or it's all in my head. I do have quite the imagination sometimes.

As for other peoples' avis, I don't know how much it affects me subconsciously. Consciously, the main thing is that I learn to recognize people by their avis, so when someone changes to something drastically different, it takes me time to adjust. Like I see them, do a double-take, and have to make a mental note each time.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    edited February 2017
    If a post is aggressive, that influences me to give them some 'friendly' feedback. (note the inverted commas)
    But avi doesn't normally bother me. Unless it is the green plumbob, this user is banned, keep calm 'n' carry on or some cruddy looking monster that you can only see the facial features of on a plain background. Those tend to tell a lot about the user.
    I don't really let avis influence me, unless they are those particular ones.

ETA:
    I see a lot of toddlers these days so maybe that is why I am seeing less hostility? :blush:

Usually though I do often perceive a Simmer as looking like their avi though. I usually have female Sims in mine and a lot of people think that I am a girl... :no_mouth:

At the moment I have two Sims. Maybe now people would think I am two people? :D

People often do do that :)
    So people must think I am a fabulous set of four plumbobs that are surrounded by equally fabulous gasses.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • SubmarineSubmarine Posts: 3,424 Member

I love that pun, purposeful or not. XD
    I won Game of the Year in the 2nd annual Scummies Awards!
    eM56lKI.png
    Call me Sub

• ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member

I love that pun, purposeful or not. XD

When I saw the topic title, I couldn't resist it :smiley:
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    It influences me, I can't lie. An avatar is like a first impression. It will determine the reading voice I'll be using. And I have an opinion/reading voice for all of them ; female avatars, manga avatars, not-related to the sims avatars, toddler avatars, well designed/photoshoped avatars, in-game pic avatars, and personal photos avatars. I know most of these labels are superfluous though, the reality behind them is a lot more complex and most of the time hidden. Yet still, some can say a lot about a person.
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited February 2017
    I rely on the power of emojis :blush::smiley::trollface: .............. & sometimes gifs
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    But what of all the vampires?

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • ExxCeeExxCee Posts: 353 Member
    I hope not... I'm a nice person! Honest!
    Origin ID: ExxCee