Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tips for 7 Toddler Challenge?

Hey everyone :) I'm usually more of a lurker, but I have a burning question. How do you guys do the 7 toddler challenge?

It's been 1 Sim day and all my toddlers are starving, tired, stinky, and very low on attention. They won't sleep for long because they all have nightmares at the same time. My 1 adult Sim keeps passing out out of exhaustion. Help!

Comments

• mhoblermhobler Posts: 299 Member
    If you level up the Thinking skill to level 3 the nightmares stop.

Don't use highchairs, just make a meal and then leave it on the counter the Toddlers are able to pick up a serving and feed themselves.

Get Potty skill trained up to level 2 asap. They can use the potty on their own then. Get it to level 3 if possible, they will almost always use the potty then and that will significantly lower the rate they get stinky and therefore need baths much less often.

I found if they interact with each other as well the Attention need seemed to go up, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    Put all of then in the same room and buy a radio. The lullabye channel keeps the nightnares at bay.
    ~ ~ ~
  • EmeraldDSEmeraldDS Posts: 42 Member
    Stagger their need fulfillment so that you don't suddenly have 7 starving, tired, filthy, lonely, bored, toilet-desperate toddlers at once.
  • CillianLoverCillianLover Posts: 405 Member
    I'd go as far as saying not to even have highchairs in the house. For some reason, the dad in my challenge would tend to put a tot in a highchair before taking them to the toilet.
    I also did sort of a bad thing and locked the front door for everyone but the adult, and then I put a tent outside for him. It was the only way he could get some sleep haha.
  • cynclacyncla Posts: 1,117 Member
    Follow these ideas , I've been through this challenge a few times , first time the hardest , not hard after that.
  • HypocriteSimHypocriteSim Posts: 8 New Member
    I heard that feeding them on the floor is easier(like the other comments on here said), but I kept the high chairs just in case. Well, that just makes it a longer process, so I guess I'll delete them. I have a nanny so that helps, but I miss when you could "give food" to the toddlers on the floor, instead of in a high chair or making them grab a serving

Sorry I'm late, just wanted to add my input! I'm having trouble too!
  • JoovanaJoovana Posts: 60 Member
    I want to do this challenge but having 7 toddlers would make me go crazy lol I find their needs go down soooo fast!
  • Skcaga6Skcaga6 Posts: 3,399 Member
    I heard that feeding them on the floor is easier(like the other comments on here said), but I kept the high chairs just in case. Well, that just makes it a longer process, so I guess I'll delete them. I have a nanny so that helps, but I miss when you could "give food" to the toddlers on the floor, instead of in a high chair or making them grab a serving

Make food then choose call to dinner. It brings them all running to eat.
    wotgen6.gif?w=656
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited March 2017
    Routing is key. Keep everything close and on one level.
    Potty train them immediately
    Don't use the highchair in fact don't even have one on the lot.
    Bake breadsticks and other slow to perish foods to leave out on the counters or coffee table between cooking real meals.
    Keep a tablet on the caregiver...they will always set it in the world...but drag it back on them.. they can use it while on the loo.
    Always choose the bubble bath option as opposed to regular baths...this satisfies fun attention and hygene all at once.
    Read to them as a group as often as you can.
    Use the "Nano can no hands dispenser" and the hand of God on dirty dishes. This not only helps with the caregiver's mood, it generates income for the Nanny, and saves a ton of cleanup time.

This lot is available on the Gallery if you need a better layout than the one you're using.
    ID Uzone27 Uzone's 7 Tot Lot

01-18-17_11-51-29PM.png

Edit:This was uploaded before I ultimately deleted the highchairr. B)
  • HypocriteSimHypocriteSim Posts: 8 New Member
    Skcaga6 wrote: »

Make food then choose call to dinner. It brings them all running to eat.

Yeah I've actually tried that, but when I played it today my adult was so exhausted and had to keep taking care of the kids so she barely had time lol! My nanny sometimes made food too so they ate that on their own. And I kinda messed it up so they're all hungry at different times. And my computer overheated so I lost a lot of progress! :o Oh well I'll do it better this time lol
  • simmerlilly87simmerlilly87 Posts: 195 Member
    I tend to have them all in 1 room(sleeping wise) and then right across the hall I put a huge play room so they can not only learn but interact with each other. I like to add 7 "bear" chairs so they can all eat together as well in the play room. I don't use highchairs because that just adds more work for my caregiver. I make sure to let my caregiver sim make at least 2 meals in the morning before bathing the the toddlers so all she/he has to do is get them out of the fridge and the toddlers can get it themselves. Also I make sure to have at least 4 potty chairs so that they can go themselves. My caregiver bathes 4 toddlers in the morning and 3 in the evening. Also she/he puts them all to bed around the same time every night and reads to all of them and puts on the lullaby radio station. My caregiver is usually exhausted but gets her/his shower, food, fun, and sleep all by the time the toddlers wake up the next morning. ;) I have a 7 Toddler House done up but I think I deleted it.... I want to try this challenge again so I will build another one here in just a few minutes. :)
    Origin Id: SimmerLilly87
    My Showcase Thread
    My Gallery: SimmerLilly87
    96rsyJ5.jpg
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited March 2017
    It partly depends on the rules you're following.....I'm assuming no money cheats or other types of cheats and no controlling of the toddlers... the caregiver traits and lot traits also impact things here, making it easier or harder.

-- Potty training should be an immediate focal point. Getting them up to 2 in potty training is nice but unless you're controlling the toddlers too (and that's not much of a challenge), then they will still use their diapers most of the time. It isn't until the 3 in potty training that they will mostly use the potty themselves. Once you get them up to 3, helps a ton with hygiene as they don't need to be bathed as often.

-- For potty training, you don't need to stand there the whole time....once they get on the potty, click off that directive on your caregiver. The toddler will still use the potty and still get the boost to that skill and frees up your caregiver to take care of other things. (Same goes with blocks...you can get them started on it and then leave and they will keep playing with the blocks)

-- Lock your caregiver's bedroom door so that only he/she can enter....that will prevent toddlers from coming in to wake up the caregiver.

-- I wouldn't count on the lullaby radio station to save the day on nightmares....it can't hurt but it's debatable how much that actually helps. I've had toddlers with maxed skills and mild temperaments who still occasionally have nightmares even if they were read to sleep and have the lullaby station playing. Most important here is to get those Thinking skills up because that skill has a stated effect of helping them sleep better through the night. Reading them to sleep is great to help them sleep sounder, for sure, but that's time-consuming and you probably won't have that much free time early on. You definitely want to put them to bed though...otherwise they will just nap and wake up again before long. Early on, when the thinking skill is lower for everyone and you don't have time to read them all to bed, someone will wake up and start crying and wake up the others...when you're scrambling in those first few days just to keep the caregiver from passing out, I wouldn't bother trying to get them all back to bed...the tired ones will go back to bed on their own and sleep is too valuable at that point.

-- Use nannies and maids as you can afford to help keep things afloat, especially for the first week. Once you get those potty training skills up (thereby reducing bath time too), you'll turn the corner and won't need as much help from them.

-- I would agree that primarily you want to just cook group meals and call to meal or let them grab plates themselves....added bonus, if they go sit somewhere, they usually don't throw the food like they do early on with high chairs (they can sit on any couches, living room chairs or even their beds to eat...just not dining room chairs). You don't have to let food sit out either...if you're sending the caregiver to sleep or if the toddlers are sleeping and/or not hungry, you can store the food in the fridge and you can drag it out and onto a table or counter while the caregiver sleeps if a toddler gets hungry. That helps keep the food fresh longer. If you have time to cook a meal, I'd try to cook another meal right away that you can store. I would still have at least 1 high chair though because the nanny needs a high chair to feed toddlers...and it's doubtful the nanny will get through cooking meals without interruption from a toddler...once the nanny stops preparing a meal, it typically sits and they never finish it up. Also, if you have 1 really hungry toddler, the high chair is a way to get them a quick meal....takes some practice to work around the bugs with the high chairs though.

-- If you see any angry toddler, either use the "comfort" option to cheer them up or put them to bed. Once they get angry, if you don't deal with it, they will start yelling at and hitting the other toddlers and just bring the mood of the others down too. Usually, this is the biggest problem with the Fussy toddlers...some of the other ones will usually get sad instead of angry if their needs get low.

-- Do what you can to gain reward points if you see any whims you can handle relatively easily....save the reward points for the sleep potion... that thing is a lifesaver if you can get a few of those. You won't be able to get far into aspirations so if you've knocked out the easy ones on the list, switch up the caregiver aspiration to something else which has an easy task or two you can do.

-- Keep an eye on the toddler skills....if you see Potty Training or Thinking close to the next level, then spend a little effort to get it boosted to the next rank....each new rank on those skills is a big help in this challenge.

Post edited by JimG72 on
  • ChickenjichuChickenjichu Posts: 32 New Member
    Don't do it
  • Darth_Awesome12Darth_Awesome12 Posts: 16 Member
    Ugh, I can really relate. I tried this challenge yesterday and all I an say is, wow, that's a hard challenge! The greatest skill to probably bring up is potty, for all seven tots, so it saves you time caregiverso time. Have them get their movement skill up to AT LEAST level two, so if your house has stairs, they all can get around easier than having the caregiver carry them downstairs one at a time. Also, once you max that potty skill, you don't have to spend the day devoted to bathing and potty training! Also, DO NOT WASTE ANY MONEY ON HIGHCHAIRS! What I do, personally, is that I cook breakfast for 8, then bring it up stairs into the toddler bedroom. So when they wake up with anew upset tummy, you wouldn't have to worry! Spend the hour after they go to sleep to clean the house up, so the nanny doesn't walk around all day in a bad mood. Have a entire room, all for your toddlers play and skill needs! Now that you got all of that out of the way, bathe them occasionally and have fun!
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I loved doing this challenge and plan to do it again.
    I put toddlers on the potty while still well in the green, until they were potted trained till level 2. then there was no accidents. and if they were sleeping I'd wake them up to potty in the yellow. even if it meant dad was getting up to.
    after day one I hired a nanny in the evening so dad could get some sleep, by this time they all needed a bath. so I had them ask the nanny for a bubble bath. which he did. I had five pottys to start with but ended with seven. NO Highchairs.
    four lots of blocks and two wabbit tablets. dolls house and stuffed bear. they got the communication from talking with each other and the nanny. Dad did play with each child each day. third day dad was well rested and helped with cards.
    Also got dad to make a meal every morning and evening. The nanny was great, he would cook when he arrived. one week he stayed four days solid, didn't go home, take a bath or pee. I don't even think he ate. when money was low dad got a job and the nanny came. I got him a high paying job for a few sim days. But he wasn't happy, so he quit and while the toddlers played, he fished. Once the toddlers get some skills it gets easier. I didn't know about the lullabye radio station then, so when they woke up and dad was too tired, I tell them to nap. also got dad to read to the toddlers, its great you can click on a bookcase and choose read to toddler and all their faces come up so you can select all of them at the same time.
    Have fun.
  • mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member

"Good For You" on completing the challenge. I considered trying it but lacked the courage. I thought it was impossible. It's good to know that it can be done.

• Liziann1Liziann1 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Hi all
    this challenge sounds good, can someone direct me to the Rules please ?

Check out My showcase thread
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/853211/dizzisquirrels-showcase#latest]
    or look for me in the Gallery
    aka DizziSquirrel

edited March 2017
    Liziann1 wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm not sure there are any, just one adult and 7 toddlers, I think most started with the basic money, but I saw one simmer had a two story house so I think they added some. each toddler has their own bed.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/909441/seven-toddler-challenge
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited March 2017
    Liziann1 wrote: »
    Hi all

The rules vary. The basic rules though are:
    -- You have to have unique traits for each of the 7 toddlers
    -- You can't control the toddlers.
    -- Generally, no cheats and no money cheats except the one to let you start off in any house.
    -- Caregiver can only have at-home jobs (if you have any time for that) or do things to earn money from home.....butlers, nannies, maids can be used if affordable....caregiver can't leave lot, put kids in daycare, etc.

On the traits, I always leave out Angelic or Independent because they are the easiest for this challenge. I've also always done this one without money cheats.....frankly, if you're swimming in money, that makes it a lot easier. Also, there's really no challenge if toddler actions are controlled. For example, potty training to level 2 means they can use the potty on their own....however, they still rarely use it on their own until level 3. Toddlers who need to use the bathroom or eat will wake up mad and start crying and wake up the other toddlers or the caregiver. Obviously, if you wake up the toddler yourself and direct them to the bathroom or to get some food left out, etc., then that makes it a lot easier. It's hard to find time to get the Thinking skill up as there's little free time to teach them blocks or flashcards but obviously if you direct the toddlers to the blocks over and over, Thinking would level up a lot easier. So if you really want a challenge, then no control over the toddlers.

• Liziann1Liziann1 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Thank you both x x

Check out My showcase thread
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/853211/dizzisquirrels-showcase#latest]
    or look for me in the Gallery
    aka DizziSquirrel

I obviously didn't stick to the rules, I had my toddlers ask the nanny for baths and sometimes play. as well as cards when dad was too tired. But I never stick to rules in challenges. there my sims.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member

I'm not sticking to rules, either this time, except I'm not playing as the tots... only as caregiver. And no money cheats or cheaply priced CC. A lot of tears have been shed. It's not pretty, but I have the tots locked in a windowless bunker, which is where they belong for their safety.

32746168213_85fdcacb69_b.jpg

My ducks are almost in a row!

32746169833_893cf9a239_b.jpg
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

there adorable, are you going to upload them?? or have you uploaded them??
  • juwa98juwa98 Posts: 4 New Member
    > @mhobler said:
    > If you level up the Thinking skill to level 3 the nightmares stop.
    >
    > Don't use highchairs, just make a meal and then leave it on the counter the Toddlers are able to pick up a serving and feed themselves.
    >
    > Get Potty skill trained up to level 2 asap. They can use the potty on their own then. Get it to level 3 if possible, they will almost always use the potty then and that will significantly lower the rate they get stinky and therefore need baths much less often.
    >
    > I found if they interact with each other as well the Attention need seemed to go up, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

WHAT I THINK: That is very helpful, thank you for showing this (I didn't know that the thinking one was a thing!) ;) :)
  • juwa98juwa98 Posts: 4 New Member
    :p :p :smiley: