Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My game always crashes when it reaches 1.5GB in memory. [Solved]

GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
edited February 2017 in The Sims 2
My game keeps crashing. :'( I can never play it long, nor can I save it, because it always crashes. :'(

I do have CC. However, I have tried running it without CC and it still crashes. I also looked up some things about the crashes and it seems the game has a limit on how much memory it uses or something?

My Specs:

6GB in memory
i5 processor
Wins 7 OS
650 Graphics Card (Geforce)

I'm guessing that my specs very well meet the requirements (?) as it runs beautifully, but it crashes when it reaches 1,500,000k in memory. :(

I honestly tried to get back into TS2, but of course now it crashes on me. I'm a bit upset.

Can anyone help me fix this? I'm really frustrated right now. :(

Edit: So I tested it again without CC and it didn't crash when it got to 1.5GB. I need my CC. :weary:

PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
Post edited by Goodywood on

Comments

• Options
    mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    Do you have it on Origin? If so, right click on the game and select repair game. Or clear out your caches. I tried to link a tutorial on clearing out caches but I'm still new to the forums. Modthesims2 has it over there.
  • Options
    Thank you @mommy19959699 . You are very sweet. :blush:
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »
    Thank you @mommy19959699 . You are very sweet. :blush:

You are very welcome :-) and apparently I just became a member like 5mins ago lol so lets see if I can post that link now *fingers crossed* http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Delete_Cache_Files
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    You can also patch the .exe you use to launch the game so instead of only having access to 2GB of memory, the game can have access to 4GB. You can only do this if you are on a X64 OS, do NOT attempt it if you have a X32 OS. Though with only 6GB of memory, you might be pushing your computer pretty hard. :/ If you want to try it, I would suggest making a copy of the .exe and placing it somewhere out of Sims 2 folder, so you have a back-up to revert back to if things go wonkey. You can get it here: I use it myself, but I have a lot more memory to work with.

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Also if you wanted, there is a read only Groups.cache file you can download, so you do not have to keep remembering to delete it if it get to large. It will not store the info in the folder, just use it to read which can help your game run smoother. That can be found here with instuctions:

http://sugahsplace.forumotion.net/t1229-are-you-always-deleting-the-groups-cache-file

You will still have to delete the accessory.cache from time to time, that is where the CC files build up. It is also a good idea to go into your neighborhoods folder, and at the bottom to delete the NeighborhoodManager file from time to time.

• Options
    Okay let me try this these things. Thank you @JULES1111 ! Jules how much memory do you have?

Thank you again @mommy19959699 !
  • Options
    @JULES1111 where is the .exe file? I can't find it. :blush:
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Okay, I don't understand how to use the 4GB Patch. I don't know where to put it or where the original is located.

Edit: Is this it?

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe"
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    @Goodywood wrote: »
    Okay, I don't understand how to use the 4GB Patch. I don't know where to put it or where the original is located.

Edit: Is this it?

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe"

Yes, that's it. :)

If it's what I think it is...
    Make sure to make a shortcut of your .exe to move to your desktop and then use the CFF on the desktop .exe
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:Large_Address_Aware/CFF_Explorer
    (it's the same steps even if not the same .exe) :)

I'm getting confused. This is harder than I thought. @Rflong7
  • Options
    I think I did it at @Rflong7 . I'm testing now. And it's not you, am not that smart. lol
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    It worked! :smiley: It's no longer crashing. I can save it and everything. :blush:

I used the 4gb patch. I forgot to make a back up of the .exe though. However the tool made one on its own. Everything is working well so far. :) I'm very happy.

Thank you guys! <3<3<3
    @mommy19959699
    @JULES1111
    @Rflong7
  • Options
    Yay! Glad to hear it is working for you now. :) Enjoy the game! To answer your question I have 16gb of memory.
  • Options
    Thank you guys! Couldn't had done it without your help.

16GB? I need to upgrade @JULES1111 . I am planning on getting a new PC soon this one is getting old. I mean not for TS2 but for other games I want to get.
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member

16GB? I need to upgrade @JULES1111 . I am planning on getting a new PC soon this one is getting old. I mean not for TS2 but for other games I want to get.

I have 8 Gigabytes of memory. It fine but I guess at the end of day if you going to game over 1080 to 1440 I could see 16 Gigabytes being used. It depends on what you currently have. For example I have Intel I5 2 generations old that can be overclocked if I wanted to. And I have 8 Gigabytes of ram and Mvidia 970. I play at 1080 and it handles it well.
  • Options
    james64468 wrote: »

I have 8 Gigabytes of memory. It fine but I guess at the end of day if you going to game over 1080 to 1440 I could see 16 Gigabytes being used. It depends on what you currently have. For example I have Intel I5 2 generations old that can be overclocked if I wanted to. And I have 8 Gigabytes of ram and Mvidia 970. I play at 1080 and it handles it well.

Yeah I think it should because of how old TS2 is and it shouldn't take much for the more recent PCs to run it. But 16GB does sound nice.
  • Options

What other games are you interested in? I Upgraded again almost 2 years ago. Not the memory, but the graphics card and power source (to handle the new card) So I could play Planet Coaster. :blush: Everything else was fine. I have pretty much upgraded this one as far as I can, so next one will be a whole new build. Next time custom, I was in a rush with this one because my old one died :D Can't.....live.....without....computer.... :s:'(:#