Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sound lagging?

ECrafters99ECrafters99 Posts: 99 Member
edited January 2017 in The Sims (2000)
So I am running a Virtual Windows XP computer to run Sims 1 (Sad I know) and the game sound is really lagging but yet the game is fine? Is there any fix to this or is it becuase I am running in a Virtual Environment

Here is a video of what I mean
bit.ly/TS1SProB

Comments

• GodlikeGodlike Posts: 305 Member
    Hmm that's pretty odd... have you tried running the game in compatibility mode before opting for a virtual machine?

Also can I ask how you got a virtual XP machine to work? Been trying this forever with other older games such as Rollercoaster tycoon myself!
    Lift me up - Let me go
  • ECrafters99ECrafters99 Posts: 99 Member
    edited January 2017
    Godlike wrote: »
    Hmm that's pretty odd... have you tried running the game in compatibility mode before opting for a virtual machine?

Also can I ask how you got a virtual XP machine to work? Been trying this forever with other older games such as Rollercoaster tycoon myself!

The game would never install on my real PC so no I haven't tried it

(I sent you a PM on how I got my virtual XP working)
  • Shorty007_2015Shorty007_2015 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi

I've got the exacly same problem. I also installed the Sims on a Virtual XP Computer.

When you move the Camera, the Sound works perfect in the live mode. In building/buying mode it sometimes works when you are holding an object to place it.

I think the problem ist, that VirtualBox simulates a very low/easy computer without special drivers or anything, no matter what kind of PC you have. So there may be problems with the soundcard (wich have to work with DirectX7). I already tried to turn off the "soundhardware acceleration" but that doesn't help.

I hope you could understand everything, because my englisch isn't that good... It would be really nice if someone could help us fixing this problem :D

P.S. you can try to change some of the settings by using the DirectX-Diagnosisprogram by clicking on
    1. "Start"
    2. "Run"
    3. and then type in “dxdiag” and click OK.
    Maybe you find a solution ;)
    Alright I found out something today. It appears to only happen when the CPU on the Virtual PC is running at 100%. So if anyone has found any good CPU settings right now that be great. Oh yeah and the game seems to run better if you play it in 800x600.
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Alright I found out something today. It appears to only happen when the CPU on the Virtual PC is running at 100%. So if anyone has found any good CPU settings right now that be great. Oh yeah and the game seems to run better if you play it in 800x600.

What is you CPU on your main system?
    I would try making sure that you have about 2 cores at the bare minimum. If you have that then up it to 3 and see what happens. Make sure you have at least 3 GB of memory going to the Xp operation system.
  • Shorty007_2015Shorty007_2015 Posts: 2 New Member
    My problem is, that my virtual Windows XP is only using 1 of my 8 CPUs. But I can't change the number of CPUs... Maybe it would be fixed when I am using 2 or 3 CPUs
    james64468 wrote: »

What is you CPU on your main system?
    I would try making sure that you have about 2 cores at the bare minimum. If you have that then up it to 3 and see what happens. Make sure you have at least 3 GB of memory going to the Xp operation system.

I have a 8 core processor and 8 gb of ram for my pc. I have tried giving it 4 gb of ram and four cores and the sound still lags.
    Update! To anyone who is following this thread, I have fixed the issue! The issue was VirtualBox, DON'T RUN THE GAME IN VIRTUALBOX! Instead, run it through VMware