Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about banned words in the gallery

So,I named my sim Valentina Vamp and for some reason I can't have her in the gallery because of her name.I am assuming it is "Vamp" that is the reason for it not being allowed but I don't get why.She's a vampire so I named her and her parent with Vamp as their surname.Hopefully the name will show up on here and someone will have an answer to this question though I'm not expecting a clear answer as to why it is banned.Also,I wasn't sure which category on the forums to put this in and that is why it's in the general discussion section.

Comments

• Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    edited January 2017
    Oooh ok i looked it up. Vamp apparently means something similar to femme fatale. How can I say this in a way I won't get in trouble... let's say she uses wohoo as a weapon to get men

It's very annoying though. Once I made Muffi from harvest moon and it wouldn't let me upload her either
    21mbz47.jpg
  • NotLoudonWainwrightNotLoudonWainwright Posts: 863 Member
    V*mp is an inappropriate slang term for a loose woman.
    I honestly think it was very innocent I had to actually look it up to understand
    21mbz47.jpg
  • SimplyobsessedSimplyobsessed Posts: 315 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    I honestly think it was very innocent I had to actually look it up to understand

I had to look it up too, i've never heard anyone using that word in such a way.
    Orchid13 wrote: »

I had to look it up too, i've never heard anyone using that word in such a way.

Yeah, I mean when I read this thread I was like... vamp seems right for a vampire.

I'm sorry you had issues OP
    21mbz47.jpg
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Never heard it said period to be honest but sheesh I guess it makes sense? I guess you could change up the spelling, maybe add an extra a or p or something to it.

I tried to recreate a person I know named Hussein in real life as a Sim and I get the same message about how the family cannot be uploaded everytime I go into CAS. Doesn't bother me though.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    Vamp is by no means a 'new' term. Been around for decades, at least. It's not used so much anymore, as there's a new term: hoe (notice the misspelling to get passed the banning bunny.) Although, as others have stated a vamp is not just a loose woman, but uses her feminine wiles for ill use against men.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • mattytudemattytude Posts: 212 Member
    I didn't think it was "rude" per say. The Spice Girls had a single called "Lady is a Vamp" and that was back in the 90s! Granted it was pretty saucy and probably meant what they say above!
  • PinkPaws66PinkPaws66 Posts: 755 Member
    It's an old term. I have heard it in black and white movies. Lol.
  • irishgurl2978irishgurl2978 Posts: 267 Member
    I get that it has a bad meaning but seriously it's a stretch especially when you have vampires in the game who can literally charm anyone into doing anything they want.If that is not the definition of the word Vamp I don't know what is.
    PinkPaws66 wrote: »

I know it is lol. But I think in this case it works. I wasn't trying to be offensive. I just thought "Well,She's a vampire.Why not call her Vamp?" lol. I actually thought it sounded cute. I guess I shouldn't care so much that I can't have her in the gallery but it's not like I gave her some disgusting sounding name.At least in my opinion. I think the name is just fitting for a vampire.

• PinkPaws66PinkPaws66 Posts: 755 Member
    PinkPaws66 wrote: »

I know it is lol. But I think in this case it works. I wasn't trying to be offensive. I just thought "Well,She's a vampire.Why not call her Vamp?" lol. I actually thought it sounded cute. I guess I shouldn't care so much that I can't have her in the gallery but it's not like I gave her some disgusting sounding name.At least in my opinion. I think the name is just fitting for a vampire.

Yep! I think it's perfect. Lol.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I wonder if you changed the Sim to male instead if it would work
    Chazzzy wrote: »

I doubt it but who knows.
  • MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

It doesn't. Names have to have the same rules for each gender. Calling a male sim 5lut doesn't work and neither does it for females so I think the same thing applies here.
  • CyclelegsCyclelegs Posts: 375 Member
    Interesting discussion. I think the etymology of Vamp is actually Vampire. It makes sense because vamping is what Vampires do.

Of course Vamp, like many words, has multiple meanings. Only one is a woman who uses her charm or wiles to seduce and exploit men. I think you would be hard pressed to find it used in pejorative sense in todays vernacular. But it is a good example of the inappropriate results of automated censorship. These forums have a Teen rating. We seem perfectly able to stick within those bounds without too much difficulty.

Keith Richards plays a particularly well known vamp in Start Me Up.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Overactive filters are a little frustrating. Partly because they censor normal things and partly because... it's just words for llama's sake.

There was one forum I used to go on where it was so bad that you couldn't even use the word "assess."
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Why is "Dio" banned?

I have macho anime-turned-sims men to share with the word and it cramps my style when I can't properly name them. :unamused:
    /but I'll live just ???
  • LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    I can't use my boyfriends last name on the gallery because it has a word that's considered rude/controversial in it. Kinda sucks
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    I also got the same problem on TS3's gallery with the name Douchka. It's my RL cat's name and it's supposed to mean sweet and charming, so now we can't even use traditional names from foreign languages just because they very vaguely look like an insult in some people's twisted minds. (facepalm)
  • SnowWolf58SnowWolf58 Posts: 382 Member
    edited January 2017
    I have an NPC couple who I renamed in my game w/the surname of "Bowinger". For some reason, this name tips off the censor in the game and every time I take one of them into CAS to change something, when I go to Save the changes and return to my game, the censor gives me a warning that part of the sim's name is not allowed. Very strange.
    Ryzen 1700X • 16GB • RX 580

INFJ -A/-T
  • CyclelegsCyclelegs Posts: 375 Member
    edited January 2017
    So,I named my sim Valentina Vamp and for some reason I can't have her in the gallery because of her name.I am assuming it is "Vamp" that is the reason for it not being allowed but I don't get why.She's a vampire so I named her and her parent with Vamp as their surname.Hopefully the name will show up on here and someone will have an answer to this question though I'm not expecting a clear answer as to why it is banned.Also,I wasn't sure which category on the forums to put this in and that is why it's in the general discussion section.
    Well I asked on the official EA bugs report pages and Vamp is allowed in the gallery
    "Vamp" is not disallowed. There are many uploads in the Gallery with the name "Vamp". If you are encountering a warning message in your game, perhaps another word is triggering it?
    The post is here:
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/COLLECTION-THREAD-Unjustified-disallowed-words/m-p/5847767#M33651
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited January 2017
    There is another funny / annoying banned word in German. Or rather, a group of words. Everything that includes "arsch" somewhere (which you can easily look up in a German-English dictionary, I won't do that for you ;) ) is going to get banned. As German words are sometimes set together using several words the gallery simply bans anything that includes these five letters anywhere.
    Here are some examples of the hilarity that ensues:

Nachbarschaft. English translation: neighbourhood
    Warschau. English translation: Warsaw (yes, Warsaw, the capital of Poland :D )
    Radarschüssel. English translation: radar dish
    Barschfänger. English translation: someone who fishes perches (likewise, "Barsch" is banned but it means nothing else than "perch")
    As you can clearly see, none of these have particularly much in common with "arsch". Nachbarschaft for example is a mix of "Nachbar" and "schaft" so they aren't even perceived with that meaning by anyone.

I already made a bug report for that almost two months ago, but nothing has changed yet. Actually, I made fun of it by creating a Sim called Marschall Radarschüssel (Marshal Radar Dish) right after writing that bug report. Obviously though I couldn't upload him to the gallery yet :joy:
    But I have to thank the gallery. Thank it for never being able to read "Warschau" in the same way ever again :D:D