Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Option to disable vampires?

Comments

• pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Bamajam wrote: »
    I don't understand why some simmers are against an "off" switch for vampires? Seems like a good idea for those who want the stuff offered in build/buy. And if you want to keep a lot of vampires in your game then you don't have to use it. Reminds me of the argument for toddlers: if you don't want them, then age them up immediately, but support the many players who do want them. Personally, I want one of my saved games to be vampire centered and the other not to be so I would support this fabled on/off switch.

So much this.

I don't understand the "then don't buy it!!". That wasn't acceptable when people wanted toddlers, so why is it now? I think most people just want to not have their games overrun with vampires.

I have zero interest in them but thought having a few in my game was a great trade-off for all the cool new stuff. I'm glad I waited though because after reading how they enter homes uninvited, they drink from sims uninvited, the game is only spawning vampires? I would have been very irritated.

I'm hoping this is a game bug and EA fixes it soon. They tweeted that the vampires wouldn't take over the game and yet there they are, doing exactly that in some games.
    That is just like saying aliens do the same and they should have the same options. This is my point its a vampire pack everyone knew it was going to revolve around vampires if you didn't want vampires in your game then why did you buy it?

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Bamajam wrote: »
    I don't understand why some simmers are against an "off" switch for vampires? Seems like a good idea for those who want the stuff offered in build/buy. And if you want to keep a lot of vampires in your game then you don't have to use it. Reminds me of the argument for toddlers: if you don't want them, then age them up immediately, but support the many players who do want them. Personally, I want one of my saved games to be vampire centered and the other not to be so I would support this fabled on/off switch.

Because the pack is CENTERED around vampires. Theyre completely optional. They already made it so vamps dont turn automatically.

The pack is called sims 4 VAMPIRES. Not sims 4 new world or sims 4 cas/buy.

I understand though, the new world and buy stuff are amazing.

However toggles would still need develop time and resources that wouldve taken away from vampires themselves.

The sysyem is nice, very few vampires spawn and they wont turn others.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I haven't had a chance to play a lot yet but I haven't seen ANY random spawn of vampires anywhere. I've only seen them in Hollow and yes, I went to the cafe and a nightclub in Myshuno- both packed- but with the usual people. I also went in and checked the adoption selection will quick based on the post on page one and again, only completely normal looking children. No glowing eyes to be seen. I'll also say that the vampires I've seen and interacted with in Hollow have not done anything autonomously to my sims. They've just walked around the park and little and that's it. Even Vlad didn't do anything until I asked him. Like I said I haven't played a lot yet but so far so good on my game.
  • HaskorentaroHaskorentaro Posts: 250 Member
    I wished there was a toggle for toddlers, definitely didn't want in my game.
    There is a option to get in your game or not.
    tumblr_n5aovvMXfM1rwvdy0o1_500.gif
  • DarkSlayer1331DarkSlayer1331 Posts: 429 Member
    Yeah no, I totally get how stupid it would be to tone down vampires for a game pack that's supposed to be for vampires. But what if you don't want every save file to have vampires? I like how you can enable and disable EPs for TS3 so that you can keep certain things in certain files. So I'd definitely like a switch of some kind for it. ^^
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    o.o This is pointless to explain. People do not read.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    The new-townies-as-vampires-only thing is obviously a bug, the solution to that is "fix the bug", not "make an off switch to ignore the bug".
  • BamajamBamajam Posts: 812 Member
    gamekitten wrote: »
    o.o This is pointless to explain. People do not read.

It seems some people are as defensive about vampires as others were about toddlers. :/

• shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited January 2017
    I have gotten new townies that are not vampires. The most townie vampires I have had at once has been six. The vast majority of my new townies are not vampires.

Also wanted to add that you can put garlic wreaths or hanging garlic on your lot if you don't want vampires. You can disguise or hide them if you don't want to see them.

You also have the option of using cc items with goth flair instead as of getting the pack, especially if you don't like vampires. You can also go in and manage townies in the manage households menus to get rid of extra vampires.

We do have a lot of options in controlling this so it's all about what it is worth to you and what you are willing to juggle to get your game how you want it.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2017
    I would be for a toggle as an option (like in Sims 3), if that is technically possible this time around. Options are always good.

However, if there is no toggle whatsoever, then I would not be for any toning down/nerfing like with what happened to the aliens.

I bought a pack for vamps. Give me my vamps. If they get more toned down (instead of a simple off/on toggle being provided), I'm going to be very, very upset.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited January 2017
    I'm all for the supernatural folks wanting the vampires with no toning down. By all means it is a vampire pack, but it just would have been good to have an option of on or off so everyone is happy. The same thing goes for the aliens. The thing I really wanted out of this pack was the new world, more space to place sims is much welcomed. Is it confirmed, if you delete all vampires will they still spawn? Like man, I don't wanna get bit in the dang neck! :P Either Way, I'm still gonna buy this pack to support EA and the Sims team, and the Sims because it's my favourite game and good gamers deserve support to keep them going. Will I install it, maybe when I'm looking to try out some new gameplay at some point or if indeed we can stop vampires. Is there any cheats or objects to remove vampire status on a sim?
  • Duke_DarkwoodDuke_Darkwood Posts: 59 Member
    gamekitten wrote: »
    I have always called them NPCs.. -shrugs- I do not play any of them. And what I meant that lived in houses (Goths, Pancake, etc, etc..). Sorry I didn't explain myself better. So, as not to be the odd duck out, I will start calling them townie background noise (NPC was just easier). And I do know what an NPC is as an avid MMOer and RPGer. Do I have to give examples of what a NPC is next?

They're still NPCs, but so are the ones who live in houses. "Townie" has been a Sims term for non-resident randomly-generated background NPCs, to differentiate them from preset, resident NPCs. For which I have no real idea what to call them aside from "unplayed household NPCs".

I can kind of see the logic on both sides of the argument here. To be fair, this GP is 100% exclusively about vampires, so getting it while not wanting any vampires at all is a bit silly. But a glut of undead would cause its own crop of problems. What I think should be done is to impose an upper bound on "townie" vampires - we know this game can cull townies, and we also know it can immunize some from culling (special relationship flags).

For purposes of this theoretical exercise, let's assume the following rules are established:
    - Pregenerated vampire townies cannot exceed 15% of townie population (this will still mean a fair amount of vampires - nearly one in six - but any lower and I fear we'd be "stiffing" the vampire lovers). I allow it to go that low because, let's be honest, they should only be out at night, AND vampirism really shouldn't be a global epidemic. (For one thing, the vampires need their food supply.)

- Second, we will have certain "flags" that will exclude a vampire townie from counting toward this limit. The most obvious would be that the master vampire cannot be culled, and any vampire turned by a played Sim shouldn't be culled OR counted toward the limit on pregenerated vamps. This way, if you want a veritable army of vampires, you can make your own. (The special relationship flags that prevent culling probably don't need to stop them from counting as vampire townies, although any that get promoted out of towniehood would obviously no longer count then.)

I'll admit, this idea could probably use some refining, but it would serve to keep vampires a rarity, as they properly ought be (if they were ubiquitous, they'd be natural, not supernatural), unless you go out of your way to build them up.

Lastly, as the number of life states increases, I can actually see a growing importance to some sort of customization menu allowing simmers to choose which ones they favor - especially if any are from packs which have other things (like GTW wasn't just "Aliens"). Perhaps even some sort of "world content control" where you can set such settings on a neighborhood-by-neighborhood basis. (Forgotten Hollow? 90% vampires, 10% normal. Oasis Springs? 20% aliens, 5% vampires, 75% normal. San Myshuno? 10% aliens, 10% vampires, 80% normal. And so on, and so on.) Of course, it'd be way too complicated and would probably require more rearranging code than I can imagine. I'm well aware this is wishful thinking.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2017
    Maybe when you make a good enough Vampire Hunter and cure the Vamps - that will seriously lessen the number of Vamps in the game too. That is part of the gp too. I just highly doubt that will help changing over the Vampire town for mortals though as it is made specifically for the Vamps.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Ehhhh. I wish they'd have just implemented some kind of toggle for people who want that. It would be end of discussion right then and there. I'm assuming the way they implement stuff it's not that easy to setup such a toggle? Too many variables to handle maybe, especially with Forgotten Hollow being its own neighborhood and how would something like that get handled in a toggle?

I mean, I don't have any problems at all with it personally so far (granted, I bought the pack for the vampire content). But even I could envision myself wanting a save free of them down the road. You never know when the mood might strike you. Maybe they add a pack down the road that's very everyday life kind of stuff and you want to try it free of supernatural things.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • legolizeitlegolizeit Posts: 51 Member
    I'll add my voice in as someone who prefers to keep supernatural Sims relegated to certain save games while keeping other save games supernatural-free. It's totally reasonable to have a desire to play with vamps sometimes, and not play with them other times. That shouldn't be a desire that is difficult to comprehend.

I still play TS2, even though it irks me that when I want to play a non-supernatural game, I'm likely to encounter an evil witch filling the nightclub sidewalk with green light and cockroaches when a sim takes their date there. It's unavoidable, and irritating.

In TS3 I use nraas mods to keep my non-supe save games free of supernatural elements, by essentially turning them off in those saves. When I want to play a game with supernaturals, I create a new save and let them roam free. It makes me happy that I have those options.

So, I guess my point is that I'd love for TS4 to have the option of toggling supernaturals on/off per save, but if the devs can't accomplish this, I'll hold off on buying until a modder can. And if a modder can't, then I will buy the game pack and suck it up when a vamp shows up in my non-supe saves, just like I do with TS2. Because I DO want to check out these vampires. And no, I DON'T want them toned down! They seem awesome, and I'm glad so many are enjoying them! But I want to enjoy them, too. I hope someday I can.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I was trying to put a curse on one I saw in the spice district...but I think she put it back on my Sim...lol...he had to sit down on his knees in the street until it was over. But you would never know she was also a vampire. The only reason I knew is because he was going to bite another victim but he had just had is snack, so next best thing..mind control. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.