Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• KaytayRoallKaytayRoall Posts: 923 Member
    edited May 2017
    @ciane I finally found some time today to look into inspiration pics for your build. Here's what I came up with...

d9c6ebeae3a84ae0f8f39abb4faee54f.jpg

modern_cabin_bjergoey_g180412_6.jpg

fachada_de_casa_pequena_moderna.jpg

scandinavian-modern-tiny-house-exterior3-via-smallhousebliss.jpg

e1399521ff048a1cfc8e38aa7220fd9b.jpg

Kebony---Bliss-Greenbanks-%283%29.jpg

Obviously the starter budget will limit how precisely I can duplicate any of them, but am I on the right track? Do any of them or any particular elements stand out to you?
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I love those first two best @KaytayRoall.

I love the soft vertical wood paneling combined with the white stone and the half wall sections in the first along with the way the steps are done. (Couldn't you see trying to use the platform on a slight hill to build that? Stairs with the alt tool might work too.)

The second one seems maybe a bit larger with an interesting window placement and brick section along with that extended roof that looks to be supported on one corner only (though may be supported on the other corner around the side as well).

I'm going to go with the second one.

Thank you so, so much. You really pegged what I love.
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @MiaSkywalker
    Now it's my turn to build for you :)

We once discussed my making over the Champs les Sims nectary and I wanted to know if you still wanted that or if you'd like something else.
    I'm willing/ready to stretch my build muscles once more!
    edited May 2017
    @ciane I finally found some time today to look into inspiration pics for your build. Here's what I came up with...
    modern_cabin_bjergoey_g180412_6.jpg

Obviously the starter budget will limit how precisely I can duplicate any of them, but am I on the right track? Do any of them or any particular elements stand out to you?

Also, it's okay to move in a builder sim so that the building is cheaper right away and/or play it for awhile yourself, thus depreciating the cost! Or, use the idea that two sims merged together via edit town mode would have 33k to start out. ;D Using free wood for flooring and ceiling and using the pool wall would help with the cost too.

I looked at all the pics here:
    https://www.e-architect.co.uk/norway/modern-cabin-bjergoey

https://architizer.com/projects/modern-cabin-gj-9/

https://www.gudmundurjonsson.com/gj9/

http://www.homedsgn.com/2013/03/28/modern-cabin-gj-9-by-gudmundur-jonsson-architect/

http://archinect.com/firms/project/23269181/cabin-gj-9-bjerg-y/65425912

https://www.arthitectural.com/gudmundur-jonsson-architect-modern-cabin-gj-9/

http://freshome.com/2012/04/21/practical-cabin-gj-9-concept-adaptable-to-various-natural-settings/

finding gems like this:
    6hvqkk4vu3bk93i6.jpg

and this one that I only found in one place:
    Cabin-GJ-9-in-Norway-11.jpg

If you are like me, you like multiple views to help show size and layout.

I love it. The open floor plan and mix of textures and windows is wonderful. I am so excited to see what you come up with!
    Post edited by ciane on
    @ciane Excellent! This is a new style of build for me and I can't wait to get started! This style appeals to my own aesthetic as well, with the mixed natural materials and simple lines. Thank you for the input and the additional resources! I will definitely look through the available pictures to get more perspectives. That is so helpful!

I will do what I can to integrate some of the elements you mentioned from the first one (half-walls, platform, stairs) into the build. My initial goal will be to hit that $16,500 budget, we'll see how that goes. Each time I hit a budget boundary, I'll check in with you. One thought I've had is that I may go for multiple versions. A "move-in ready" version that meets the usual starter budget, but has minimal furnishings, and a "deluxe starter" that meets the merged household starter budget and is more fully furnished.
    That sounds perfect @KaytayRoall! I was going to suggest putting in everything you wanted as long as the house itself comes in under the starter budget. That way my sim can start off in the house at least and add things later.
    Yeah, that was pretty much my thought for move-in ready. The house, with plumbing and major appliances.

This is another really helpful angle, by the way.
    modern_cabin_bjergoey_g180412_11.jpg
    Shows how that one part is taller than the rest a bit more clearly.

Haha, now I'm itching to get started. But I'm at school for another 5 hours. Better get some work done on my final project...
    Yeah, I really liked lots of the images. Some of them are available on different sites with larger pics. I also found the house plans for a couple similar G series, but not for this one. One reason I really liked that last pic I shared is that it shows exactly where that height elevation is - over the entry and bedroom.
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    ADWilson wrote: »
    @Kgaff
    I agree! Especially when someone isn't all that great at screenshots lol

How funny to have a family with that name!

Yay for your getting the books I left for you, but Boo regarding the garden plants. What about those in the chest on the back porch? Both plants and produce in the chest were perfect quality so it'd be a shame if all of that was "lost" in the transfer of property.

I missed the chest on the porch yesterday! Yes! Everything in the chest is perfect quality and the collection helper OH YAY. I didn't know you could put things like that in a treasure chest! I wish I had known that when I was doing the dungeon, that would have made a special treasure to find.
    Kgaff wrote: »
    I missed the chest on the porch yesterday! Yes! Everything in the chest is perfect quality and the collection helper OH YAY. I didn't know you could put things like that in a treasure chest! I wish I had known that when I was doing the dungeon, that would have made a special treasure to find.

Hooray! I'm glad you found those items. Enjoy :smiley:
    edited May 2017
    I know I'm super early, and I apologize profusely, Mia; but I am super worried about losing another build. So I uploaded @creativemetaphor's lot today. I'll go back to that earlier post and swap out to more recent pics and add the upload link there. Then I'll link it here too.

The upload is here:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9086525

Link to post with pics:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15739469/#Comment_15739469
    Post edited by ciane on
    @MiaSkywalker I suppose I should jump in here and put in my two cents worth.

I know that I went a tad crazy and made some huge expensive builds for others but...

For my style of play, less is more.

All the small trees around the base of the house is way to many. You could take about half of them away and maybe intersperse a few other shaped shrubs. A shorter fence would be great. There are some that have flowers or a bit of greenery I think those would help you achieve the look you're going for. You could also just make smaller, separate flower beds using rocks as a border with a few green shrubs and a couple of flowers mixed in then you wouldn't need a fence surrounding the house at all.

(I have a few examples but photobucket won't give me links right now. Figures after I defend it, it acts up Grrr)

I didn't realize when you first showed it to me that it was three stories! That's a lot of stairs. If you can make it two stories, that might help with lowering the roof. I don't know how many rooms you intended but 3 bedrooms, a full bath upstairs and half bath down would be sufficient for how I play.

If it helps with the design of the yard, you can leave out the training jumps, I do like to ride my horses to the training grounds because then I simply cross over to the Equestrian center for competitions. Instead you could put a nice garden (not too big) with a few fruit trees. Or make a larger deck off the back that leads down to a pool area, again, not too big.

I'll leave you to mull over these suggestions, I hope I didn't put a damper on your ideas. :)
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @ADWilson So I've now sketched up no less than 4 mini Victorian floor plans to fit on 15x20 lots. :lol:

Is your photographer just a single gent or would you like a double bed and/or two bedrooms?

Being a starter means this will be a small home and being a Victorian means it will not be easy to add-on so this may not last you very long if he's successful at his career, unless you're fine with him being a dedicated bachelor. :mrgreen:

Of course, the other option is not do a starter, but I know you had specifically asked for them, so that is why I am going to keep the budget to $16,500 unless you want otherwise.

I should also ask, what is your favorite color?

While I'm eager to start on one of the four houses (or maybe start on all and have you pick the look you like best), tonight I'm eager to get home and get @MiaSkywalker 's castle uploaded at last, as well as take the last of the pictures :)
    Four?! My goodness, you've been busy! @creativemetaphor

I plan to play him as a dedicated bachelor, but he'll travel quite a bit and will need someplace to showcase his collection. If this means that the budget needs to go beyond the starter amount then so be it because I really don't want to have to move him elsewhere if at all possible.

My favorite color is blue but I also like green and purple. I like most colors because it's the shade and accent colors that pull it all together. I don't mind trying new-to-me colors because seeing the same old gets old.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of Mia's castle :)
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    @Kgaff:

Ok, I'll take all of those into consideration. Maybe I'll go with a smaller lot, and start over again. Yeah, it's three floors, but I think I would have ignored the third floor, and left it for you to expand into. Then again, I could always do two floors, and you can always add a third if you really do need to expand into it. Maybe I need to ask - how big of a family do we want this for? Are you going to move in an already existing family, or do you want to start with a couple, and maybe add on kids rooms as you need them?

But it won't be today. It won't even be this week. I was right in my guess, and I do have a UTI, so I'm really feeling rather miserable. I'll probably start this on Monday. I'll try to find some inspiration pics. Or if you have some that you'd like me to try to make, you can share those, and I can try.
    edited May 2017
    @ciane
    Okay, here's some pictures of versions 2, "sketch" stage.
    Screenshot-48.jpg

Screenshot-50.jpg

Screenshot-51.jpg

Screenshot-52.jpg

What about version 1, you might be wondering. Version 1 was a bigger, more accurate re-creation. With just walls and some windows, it cost $14,000. It also had some considerable CFE issues. So I saved it to my bin and started over. Scaled it down a little where I could and did some altering...

One of the things I did to address the CFE issues in the second version was moving the entrance. You can see it in the second picture. If you want the entrance to be in the same place as the original (and the door directly into the bedroom), there are two other options. If you want the house on foundation (this will let me try to play with some stairs coming off of the deck in that one corner), I would need to extend the deck around to the front of the house and make the whole thing on the same floor (the current version has the entry hall and bedroom two steps lower than the rest of the house). Or I can use platform instead of foundation.

There are a lot of ways I could go forward at this point. Build either of the options I listed above to see how those turn out. Or play with the landscaping to see if it's worth keeping the house on foundation for that... I thought I would check in and get opinions before I went charging ahead, though.

@MiaSkywalker Sorry to hear you aren't well and hope you get better soon!
    I like what I see and I totally trust your judgement @KaytayRoall. I did think that the cabin was much bigger than it first appeared after looking at all the pics, so this scaled down version is a much wiser choice!

Ugh Mia, so very sorry to hear that. I do hope you feel better soon.
    @Kgaff:

Ok, I'll take all of those into consideration. Maybe I'll go with a smaller lot, and start over again. Yeah, it's three floors, but I think I would have ignored the third floor, and left it for you to expand into. Then again, I could always do two floors, and you can always add a third if you really do need to expand into it. Maybe I need to ask - how big of a family do we want this for? Are you going to move in an already existing family, or do you want to start with a couple, and maybe add on kids rooms as you need them?

But it won't be today. It won't even be this week. I was right in my guess, and I do have a UTI, so I'm really feeling rather miserable. I'll probably start this on Monday. I'll try to find some inspiration pics. Or if you have some that you'd like me to try to make, you can share those, and I can try.

I hope you feel better soon, please take care and feel better, there is absolutely no reason to worry about this.

No no no,don't scrap it!!!!

To make your life a bit easier, why don't you just use the one you have started and simply knock it down one story. That way you won't have to start from scratch. You could still flatten the roof a touch and do simple dormers on the roof, small ones just for decoration on the roof line. BTW It doesn't look boxy at all with the facade you have now.

I usually play single sims but sometimes a couple.

Let's do this for a young couple just starting out. Money is no object so there is no budget.

3 bedrooms, a full bath upstairs and half bath down, living room, kitchen that includes a table for eating and an office is all I need. A dining room is not necessary but if you have room I'll take one. I prefer carpeting in the bedrooms, tile in the kitchen and bath, light colored wood flooring elsewhere. Light colored ceilings also. Blues, greens and yellows all work for me, nothing really dark, and light colored wood paneling with some kind of paint or wall paper works too.

I was thinking that since I have already received two horse properties maybe you could make this one for dogs, like a dog kennel. We could keep the barn and use it for dog washing and storage.

The chickens and a garden would round out the lot nicely.

Keep it simple and take care. :)
    @KaytayRoall I've got some inspiration for you. I hope one of these is close to what you have in mind.

These are some ideas for a horse property in Sunlit Tides. With a little creativity and some tropical colors any one of these would fit right in

This one is two bedrooms, one bath with huge living/dining/kitchen combo. It's actually larger inside than it looks
    house%201_zpsbekko6nj.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This one is three bedrooms, 2 baths, a huge great room is the center of the house, a big kitchen with dining room, a porch in the front and a covered lanai in back with a 2 car garage. This is the one I think would fit best in Sunlit Tides
    house%203_zpswom25msu.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This home has three bedrooms, 2 baths, huge kitchen and living room with wrap around porch that goes around the entire house
    house%202_zpsyf7fl96c.jpg

For the horses
    I found this barn I could customize to fit the world. It has four stalls, a place for a horse wash or hay storage and a small office with a bath.
    4%20horse%20barn_zpsvlpochw5.jpg

Now if on the other hand you want the arcade/skating/bowling/pizza place, I will have to make that up as I go and rely on your input for almost everything.

You get to pick now.
    @MiaSkywalker Oh dear, those are definitely no fun! :( Sorry you're feeling so unwell.

@Kgaff Ooh, tough choices. Well, now that I've seen the inspiration pictures for the ranch, I just can't say no! I like them all so much... My first inclination was for the first one, because it's similar to my usual style. But I think you're right about the second one fitting in best in Sunlit Tides. And I'm intrigued by the covered lanai (I had to look up what that meant). It sounds perfect for a tropical home. So I would like the second one, please! The one thing is, a two-car garage is definitely more than I need for a sim who rides everywhere. Would you mind trimming it down to a one-car garage? The barn is a great choice, too, by the way. I like how it is open to the outside and the office space sounds great!
    okay!! I am happy to announce that @MiaSkywalker 's castle is officially finished.

You'll note a lack of links and pictures.

Welp, I had put in the moat and the drawbridge and done the last bit of fussy work and saved and all, and when I went to upload it, it crashed. But at least I had JUST saved so nothing was lost but time to reload the game.

And because of that I also didn't get the last of the pictures taken and uploaded.

So castle done, but will have to wait for it until tomorrow.

I am currently calling it Simwick Keep. Hope you like the name! And hope you feel better (hugs)
    edited May 2017
    I loved that first one too, but that second one is appealing as well. And that stable! Wow!

Mia, I haven't forgotten that Hannah was working on a build for you before she ran into CFE and medical problems. You said the picture reminded you of an inn. I've looked at building it in Dragon Valley on a 30x20 lot. What do you think?

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

I'm really looking forward to seeing all the new builds! Enjoy building everyone!

Post edited by ciane on
    @KaytayRoall YAY! As soon as I saw that house you picked I wanted to build it :) (I guess my hint wasn't so subtle after all LOL) I will make the garage for one car and maybe a covered walk way from the front to the back of the property, like a breezeway.

I love the one @ciane picked, all that glass with the three quarter wall, it's gonna be a beauty.

Also ciane how nice of you to pick up hannahs build, it looks great so far. I love the door you picked, it looks perfect with the wall textures you have going on.

I can't wait to see what @creativemetaphor has in the works for @ADWilson. A starter victorian on a small lot is a complete 360 from the previous rounds she has done.

@MiaSkywalker I'm sending you best wishes and hoping you are feeling better each day :)

Mother-in-law visit is looming, she gets here tomorrow ( :'( sob) so it's back to cleaning house for me ( :'( sob)
    @CIANE Oh that's gorgeous!

@kgaff :lol: It'll be a pretty big reversal from what I've done the last three, too! @MiaSkywalker 's is over 500k! I think the previous two were both over 400k. I might even get it done *gasp* ON TIME!