Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @ciane Oh yeah, I do that, too! In fact, sometimes I'll decide a wall, for example, looks so much better in this other room and switch things around entirely!
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    @kgaff - Often times when I use MOO to put the mailbox nicely (I think) in the stair railing, the game moves it! I have to quit doing that for builds I share!
    I rarely MOO (although I often Alt) trashcans and mailboxes, because sometimes it makes them unusable. Sometimes it doesn't, but I like to be careful with things that NPCs will need, too. :)
    How have you all had time to PLAY Sims?! LOL I've been far too busy trying to build to even have a chance to load ADWilson's gorgeous school into my Monte Vista game! :( lol
    I'm home 24/7, so have a lot of time. That's how I do it. :) Building and playing keeps my mind off things, so I will often get involved in a game or build to the exclusion of almost anything else. (I don't use social media, so my time is not taken by that!)
    ADWilson wrote: »
    How fun/funny/ironic indeed!
    Yes! I <3 my male sims to have the deep voice more often than not. Will have to check out voice in were form & when singing.
    I did, I did. I also noticed the one with fish bait books <= perfect for this house! A really nice touch to add these. :)
    Options. We likesss options. lol
    I usually use close to the deepest voice, but not usually the deepest. I've always been a sucker for a great baritone. (I <3 Howard Keel!) I left his voice, though, because I felt it suited him, as a deep, gruff, surly were. :lol:
    ciane wrote: »
    Well, I'm still not excited about the way the pond looks. I'll share some current pics and get your feedback @MiaSkywalker. Here's the page with the pics.
    Took a careful and thorough look at it before replying.

I like it very much. I'm probably less picky because I absolutely can't do this, so I love it. :) That said, I can offer some suggestions that might help you get the effect you want with the waterfall.

I saw a build once where they had a waterfall, and it had no CC. They used a combination of things - I think a few of the big rocks, and some smoke emitters. I don't recall the waterfall codes, but there are several of them. You may have to test with a game with a live Sim family so you can see how various codes look, and you can decide where best to put them. I'm almost positive you will have to MOO the emitters in.

What I would suggest is that if you do that, do a screen capture from build mode that shows where the smoke emitters are, so if I have to turn the lot to place it, I will know which extras to delete.

I use the fountain effects all the time. :) There's this one fountain in the game (sort of a square one), which doesn't have much in the way of running water normally, so I use several of the straight-up fountains around the base and in the middle. Turns that fountain into something pretty spectacular when it runs. :)

I would actually NOT add spawners because of spin duplication. Otherwise, I think Koi or Dragon fish is a great idea. :) I inadvertently left my test spawners in when I uploaded my lot for ADWilson; I didn't realize it until I had placed it in a new Hidden Springs and moved a Sim into it. (I would actually remove them, Addy. They're graveyard spawners!) Fortunately, if that lot is placed where it's supposed to go, it doesn't need to be spun.

I've made a few slip-ups with some of the uploads I've done for this event. For instance, I accidentally left CM's library set to No Visitors, which is what I had it set for while testing, because townies kept coming in and leaving books all over the floor, which irritated me. I had meant to change it back to Library, and forgot. Oops! :blush:
    edited March 2017
    @ciane I have to CASt as I go! I am good at visualizing what I want, but it's harder for me to see how it's working when the patterns and colors are all random or wild. I may know I want this kind of wall treatment, but I can't just put up a default and think "I'll fix it later" because the visual of it throws my whole build off :lol:

I'll usually put wood floors everywhere because they tend to be more neutral to my eyes, but walls and furniture is really hard for me if I don't fix them when I place them.

Even so, once I've CASted something and then gone on and built or decorated a bunch, I might still go back and change it later if what I had originally doesn't seem to fit as well later on.
    It's interesting to hear how other people do it. I usually use plain flat walls initially on everything, just to have something on and not the ugly gray. Then once I have the outer shell finished, and am starting with inside walls, I will put a different inside and outside wall, just so I can keep them differentiated. Otherwise, occasionally I can't tell.

I don't usually bother with final walls until I'm closer to done. I try to select a wall that will at least be CLOSE to what I'm planning; it helps me get a good feel. The wood and brown walls I am using in Ciane's build were of that type, but she likes them (so do I, actually), so although I will make some small changes, and not have them in EVERY room, I will keep them in some rooms. (It's pretty standard in Victorian homes and large estates and castles that people will refer to different bedrooms as "the green room" and "the blue room", so bedrooms at least should be different colors. :) )

I also love wood floors and ceilings in my builds. I think that's because I am usually building medieval. It also gives a nice warm glow. Ironically, in my own home I prefer carpet, but that's because (among other reasons) carpet is easier on my feet, harder to slip on than wood, and easier on the body when I fall. Since my parents and I tend to fall a lot (and drop things) because of various disabilities, it's better to have carpet than wood. :)
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @creativemetaphor I know you are probably still busy doing your current build but I want to get some pictures of my WIP for you. I would love to get some feedback to see if I am going in the right direction.

So far this "prison" has the reception area, guards dorm, a spot for dining and a blacksmith/stable area. I am working on the jailers quarters and work areas (in my prison there is no free ride, you work!).
    Screenshot_zps4stgppur.jpg

Dining area do you want a stove or will the bbq work?
    Screenshot-65_zpsplwzzrmo.jpg
    Screenshot-28_zpsmu7pcmfe.jpg
    Screenshot-32_zps3tytefat.jpg

Guard quarters - bunk beds or single beds?
    Screenshot-26_zpslfdaxqq2.jpg
    Screenshot-4_zpsoi83imjd.jpg
    Screenshot-26_zpslfdaxqq2.jpg

I have also been playing with fog emitters! There's some fun stuff you can do with them but that's for another post.
    Kgaff wrote: »
    @ciane Are you already working on round 4 when the rest of us are starting round 3? I'm getting confused :(

Yeah, it's probably better not to get so far ahead. I understand it, though; she builds very fast, and probably gets impatient. :) We're not supposed to even be starting round 3's builds until next week, and a few of us have started a little early, because we like to build.

That's why I have a few side things going on. I think I'm going to start working on a tomb after I finish Ciane's for next round. I've never built one before, but I used to design dungeons in D&D, so although I'm out of practice, it can't be THAT much different... can it? I guess I'll find out, huh? :)

I should probably start with a small one first, so I don't get overwhelmed. Otherwise I'll overreach myself and get discouraged. :) I'm really wishing that I had turned the bottom part of the library into a tomb/hidden area, but I hadn't thought of it at the time.
    @creativemetaphor I know you are probably still busy doing your current build but I want to get some pictures of my WIP for you. I would love to get some feedback to see if I am going in the right direction.
    Ooooh! I'm loving this! This is definitely something I'm going to have to use in some of the medieval games I play. :)

So far this "prison" has the reception area, guards dorm, a spot for dining and a blacksmith/stable area. I am working on the jailers quarters and work areas (in my prison there is no free ride, you work!).

Dining area do you want a stove or will the bbq work?[/b]
    Guard quarters - bunk beds or single beds?

I have also been playing with fog emitters! There's some fun stuff you can do with them but that's for another post.

Ooh!! *exciting*

I love how the exterior is coming along! Awesome prison/work house

I am fine with the BBQ, looks very authentic :)

Single beds would probably be more realistic for the time frame, but otherwise I love your guards' quarters so far! I really love the use of those windows, too! I know they're not meant for the medieval sets but they carry the look so well.

Ooh, Fog emitters. I have watched many a youtube build with them (mostly for waterfalls) but have yet to play with the myself.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited March 2017
    @MiaSkywalker - I love alt and disablesnappingtoslotsonalt and MOO! As long as things aren't merged together - like making a piano from a bookcase and a keyboard, there is rarely a problem. But, that is why we play test - to make sure, right?

I had to test with a spawner to make sure they could fish, both from the bridge as I'd hoped and from the ground. That one dragon fish jumped out of the water so nicely just as I snapped the pic. (And yes, coy would be great too!)

I'll play around with some rocks and emitters. (I was afraid swimming over the rocks might do wonky animations like elevating sims out of the water. But it's so deep there that the only worry is probably snorkeling through them.

I'm not sure if I can get any normal fountains to work at that depth, but I didn't try. I looked through the limited ones available at the time and forgot to go back and look again with all EPs/SPs active. Great ideas. Thanks! Just what I needed.

kgaff - I love the way your build is looking! I love the symmetry to it.
    Also, is it just me or are the my pages down?
    @ciane

As in the studio and such? Mine appear to be working.
    I have nothing new on my feed since before 7 last night and I can't comment either. I can still click like, but that is all.
    @ciane

As in the studio and such? Mine appear to be working.

They work for me too!
    edited March 2017
    Oh, wait a sec, the last thing posted on my page was yesterday, so maybe there is something wrong with them.

>:) Can't post anything new either >:)
    @ciane AAAAHHHhhhh, they might not be working right, as I did notice the lot I uploaded last night is in my studio but not showing on my feed.
    I hadn't noticed any comments in the forums on it, so I guess not everyone has noticed yet.
    @ciane I tried posting something to your page - It didn't error but it didn't show up, so perhaps the feed isn't updating correctly, but it doesn't seem to be rejecting attempts. Might get a big backlog posted once it's sorted out :lol:
    I made a discussion in Sims 3 general discussion, but I'm not sure if anyone will see it there to fix the problem.

I was able to make comments that seemed to register. The page would flicker, but of course nothing new was added to the feed.

Yeah, we could get a whole lot of testing, testing, 1, 2, 3... and some of them will be mine. :open_mouth:
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    **observes the conversation flows and tries to jump in**

Time to play?
    I haven't really had much of that lately because of building.
    I obviously don't have the multitasker reward because with Sims, I either build or play. I've a hard time bouncing back & forth between the two.
    lol

Beginning the next round before this one is done?
    No, not really.
    I posted a possible inspiration picture so that hannah could see and give yea/nay. Also doing research on apartment building.

When do I CASt walls and floors?
    While building, I usually plop down the free wood floors with different colors for different rooms/spaces so I can tell them apart (hopefully!). I also don't care for the grey walls & will usually go with an inexpensive wall covering.
    Then I figure out furnishings and lights.
    Then on to CASting everything and changing out floors and walls, if need be.

<3 DnD?
    We haven't played a tabletop version in years... hubby, daughter and I all played. I once GMed a Hollow World game, but hubby was the main GM (for home campaigns) and our last campaign had seven of us battling wits together and against one another. We also played at local stores. When the Addy family stopped rolling dice, we played WOW (quit playing right after Mists of Pandoria and had level 85s). Now, hubby and I play LOTRO together (elves) as well as separately or together (hobbits) with daughter sometimes joining us as college schedule permits. We three also periodically play the Secret World. Although we haven't gamed as a family much lately... daughter is a huge Mass Effect fan and is playing ME Andromeda every chance she gets to game! I sim. Daughter sometimes. Hubby never.
    @ADWilson Ooh I played LOTRO for quite a while, more recently I've played Destiny but lately I've just had the architecture bug.
    edited March 2017
    I've decided to share with you guys a hobbit hole I made right after Ciane gave us that walk-in basement tutorial. The first floor of this is a walk-in basement, and then I built DOWN, and not up! This is a true hobbit hole. :) I will warn you guys, per usual with me, this is not a starter. Hobbits are fairly decadent, and I had to cater to that decadence. But I can just see Bilbo sitting by the fire on the ground floor, smoking his pipe, when Gandalf knocks at his door. :)

First, the beginning build pics. These just show how I managed the CFE. I made them for my own information, so HOPEFULLY I won't forget how to do it. :p
    9znd40.jpg
    29funpe.jpg
    oig9p2.jpg
    b9f6di.jpg
    o8bdb5.jpg
    2qd4i01.jpg
    210ee6p.jpg
    xgcnq9.jpg
    k3n3gn.jpg
    21lvlw3.jpg

Now, as it currently looks. It's pretty much done, but I don't want to upload it yet. I'm trying to think if there's anything else I want to add to this, although this is probably complete now.
    300adn9.jpg
    11ayfr5.jpg
    nqu340.jpg
    2qvcvew.jpg
    2vwfb0x.jpg
    345j8r9.jpg
    11vjhfs.jpg
    28ji3ok.jpg
    2im0xg3.jpg
    10frjba.jpg
    rtde2s.jpg
    rtq876.jpg
    21kdkxf.jpg
    2lsaal5.jpg
    2ykga4z.jpg
    mmae0g.jpg
    9ptn2b.jpg
    k3najm.jpg
    s3n67t.jpg
    11w4uo3.jpg
    2ajtjcy.jpg
    jfhpuv.jpg

It's fully tested as it is, although I've only upgraded the downstairs fireplaces to fireproof. I forgot to do the fireplaces on the top floor, so I will want to do that before I upload it. (Btw, @ADWilson, I forgot to upgrade the fireplace in my build for you to fireproof. So don't forget to do that!) Everything works perfectly, although I did have to move the downstairs terlet. Sim tested, Sim approved!

Btw, every single nectar rack is full. Every one. With expensive nectar. Yum! :lol:

This isn't for anyone in particular, I just made it because I wanted to try to make a walk-in basement. :)
    Post edited by MiaSkywalker on
    So update, did a TON of CASting and adding proper lighting. Finished all the downstairs bathrooms. :)
    ADWilson wrote: »
    <3 DnD?
    We haven't played a tabletop version in years... hubby, daughter and I all played. I once GMed a Hollow World game, but hubby was the main GM (for home campaigns) and our last campaign had seven of us battling wits together and against one another. We also played at local stores. When the Addy family stopped rolling dice, we played WOW (quit playing right after Mists of Pandoria and had level 85s). Now, hubby and I play LOTRO together (elves) as well as separately or together (hobbits) with daughter sometimes joining us as college schedule permits. We three also periodically play the Secret World. Although we haven't gamed as a family much lately... daughter is a huge Mass Effect fan and is playing ME Andromeda every chance she gets to game! I sim. Daughter sometimes. Hubby never.
    Sadly, I haven't been able to play any tabletop roleplaying games in years. I used to play with a couple of groups; then I moved to Seattle, and when I moved back six or seven years later, I wasn't able to reach anyone. All of their old numbers were out of service or whatever. Some had moved, some had passed away, some just no longer played - whatever it was, I wasn't able to contact most of them anymore, and those I could reach no longer played and were no longer in contact with the others. The game shop we had all met at went out of business shortly before I moved to Seattle, so even that wasn't an option. If the internet had existed before I moved, the result might have been different, but it didn't, so things are what they are. (And I don't remember any of their last names, sadly. Just first names.)

I got into other things, though. I really wish I could play tabletop D&D again; it was a lot of fun. But it WAS a lot of work, especially for the GM. I play EQ2 now, when I want to play something with other people; I have friends who play it, too. It's certainly a lot less work; you don't have to spend hours creating dungeons, and puzzles, and traps, like you had to with D&D! But it isn't really the same. None of the online games can be. I'm not a very social person, but those games stimulated my imagination in a way that online games just can't manage.