Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Corwim's Creations (Vampire Lair & Buffy sims & art p. 36-37

Comments

• CorwimCorwim Posts: 3,218 Member
    Thank you so much @AIRIS6962 ! Been having so much tonight experimenting with different art work, what works, how it works and so on. Think I'll be able to do some fun stuff with this when I've figured it all out. :)
    edited February 2017
    So Sam's been at it pretty hard working on his paintings by reference, and even maxed out his painting skill in the mean time! B) This time I took a few pictures of cute guys/models and turned them into CC to be painted in game (don't worry, Sam still loves Katie very very much, this was just an artistic study of the male anatomy shall we say ;) ). Still experimenting with morning/noon/evening/night painting and figured out a bit more. Eg, the perfect time to paint black and white pictures is actually noon. The pictures of actors I posted before were actually pretty much black and white and not yellow (that just was the lighting, silly me not turning that to neutral white intensity). Also, it only matters when you start a painting, not when you are painting it. So eg if you start a painting in the morning, immediately cancel the action after your sim has started, and then say finish the painting at night, it will still resemble how your reference looked during the morning.

Aaanyway, on to results! :)

Sam painted this cute guy 4 times: during morning, noon, evening and at night (the latter being the most different with it's deep purple, and frankly is the least appealing imho. The original picture, like with the actors, was black and white. They look like this under neutral lighting inside afterwards:
    Artwork%207_zpskaflitrv.jpg

Then I wanted to see what the effect would be on pictures with colour. Found this fashionable guy, original picture in colour but against a white background, painted in the morning, noon and evening:
    Artwork%208_zpsrirtvglu.jpg
    Really like the last one the most, as it shows off the colour like the skin tones the best.

For showing off more intense colours, darker pictures or black, painting in the evening seems like the way to go, but when the colour scheme of the picture is much more on the softer/light side, it's best to go with afternoon painting, like with this fellow (afternoon painting on the right):
    Artwork%2011_zpsa1bsopao.jpg

Haven't really found a cool use yet for the bluer tone of morning paintings, not sure when I'd be using that, and the deep purple of the night painting is not very usable, so to sum up: Sam will be painting by reference during the afternoon and the evening! ;)

And before you wonder, Sam's been painting other things as well. ;) I took a few art works from my favourite 90s computer adventure game series, called Gabriel Knight, and turned those into CC as well. Thought these turned out really good as well, and I can see various uses for them in future builds. B)
    Artwork%2012_zpsu2rrwkmi.jpg

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    The pictures look great! :) It was great reading about and seeing the piictures of the results of your experimenting of painting at different times of the day. The pictures turned out very well!
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    Woot Woot Corwim! You got some hunk of burning love going on there with this hot guys! <3
    Thank you so much @rosemow Took some getting used, but I think I'm getting the hang of these paintings by reference! :)

Haha, thank you @BreeMiles :D It can't hurt to have something pretty to look at while you're working on mastering a new technique, can it? ;)
  • masajomasajo Posts: 6,011 Member
    Awesome pics and fantastic results with your experiment. Many thanks for bringing this all to light, I would never have known this otherwise. It's quite amazing to see how different the same picture can look at the varying times of day :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
    edited February 2017
    Ok, here's the next batch, lolz, Sam just seems unstoppable! ;)

First of all, this is what his little outdoorsy workshop looks like:
    Artwork%20setup%202_zpsnr067pf5.jpg

The wall with the CC art work is actually on another lot to prevent the paintings by reference getting a CC tag as well which they would if they were on the same lot. you can see the division between the two lots better here:
    Artwork%20setup%201_zpsokshwi9m.jpg

I started out doing them one by one, having to switch to the other lot whenever one painting was finished and changing the CC artwork on display and then switching again. Resulted in me looking at the loading screen a whole lot of time. This way works a lot faster, where Sam could finish a whole series of 8 paintings in one day; and it in no way resembles a sweat shop. :D I feed Sam well and he has all the luxury he needs in his own house (you can btw see Katie in the background on the pc, working on her writing skill). ;) And the room in front are the empty brick ones, waiting to be filled with the finished paintings. Once the paintings are finished, I save the game and quit, pull out the mods, then restart the game and open my save file and only then save the room with paintings to my library. Doing it that way, I haven't encountered any issues anymore with these paintings blanking out when I place the rooms on another lot from my library.

And now then, what has Sam been producing this time? :)

First, painted a few more actors to add to my gallery of favourite actors. Kept the theme here of black and white original pictures. Mostly reproduced the black and white art, but did another few colour 'studies' as well:
    Artwork%2016_zps8tlbipze.jpg

Artwork%2015_zpsmbxgw4qp.jpg

Artwork%2014_zpsxkfksth3.jpg

Also started a new room dedicated to Icons of Sci/Fi and Fantasy. These are all in colour, was interesting to see the effect of lighting again. Also worked with close ups and complete shots a bit more:

Remember these two? The truth is still out there! :)
    Artwork%2017_zpsajdyftj6.jpg

The one and only Malcolm Reynolds (Nathan Fillion), captain of Serenity in Firefly, Jensen Ackles from Supernatural and the legendary Starlord. :smiley:
    Artwork%2018_zps9ptlqvja.jpg

My two favourite vampires from tv series: Angel from Buffy and True Blood's Eric Northman:
    Artwork%2021_zpsuef1qw4v.jpg

I'm also a big fan of the show Arrow. Found these two colourful pictures showing how the hero's outfit had changed over the years. These two series of paintings are probably my favourite so far:

The original Arrow outfit:
    Artwork%2019_zpsxegtc874.jpg

And the more recent one:
    Artwork%2020_zpsfr140klo.jpg
    Post edited by Corwim on
    Thank you @masajo ! I'm happy you liked the pictures, I'm getting tons of pretty good looking artwork out of experimenting with these lighting options I'm very happy doing it. Glad you found these experiments useful! :)
    It was great seeing pictures of and reading about how you set up and do the artwork! :) The resulting artwork looks great! The latest pictures that Sam has painted looks very nice!
  • AIRIS6962AIRIS6962 Posts: 5,611 Member

WOW! Just wonderful! <3
    Thank you for sharing how your sim ( you ) made them! :smiley:
    The Art of Arrow Part 1
    Gallery Link

ArtofArrow%201_zpsai8guurk.jpg

Decided to upload these two to the Gallery as I liked these the most, and just to see whether there was any interest in something like this. The Deadpool art seems to have gone down well, so who knows. :)

Here's what I wrote about it:
    Love this tv show, so my sims wanted some cool Arrow art decorations for their house as well. :-) These were "Painted By Reference" by my sim Sam Gladstone (or Be My Valentine? on the Gallery), so they are completely CCFree and have NoCC. Original image copyright Warner Bros Television. Feel free to use these in your rooms and lots, but please hashtag me when you use them in an upload, thank you! :-)

Here's what they look like in game under neutral white light (well, in the little brick upload room I made for them ;) )
    ArtofArrow%204_zpsrajzfcfy.jpg
    The Art of Arrow Part 2
    Gallery Link

ArtofArrow%202_zpshbhzvu9b.jpg

And here's part 2! :)

Here's what I wrote about it:
    Love this tv show, so my sims wanted some cool Arrow art decorations for their house as well. :-) These were "Painted By Reference" by my sim Sam Gladstone (or Be My Valentine? on the Gallery), so they are completely CCFree and have NoCC. Original image copyright Warner Bros Television. Feel free to use these in your rooms and lots, but please hashtag me when you use them in an upload, thank you! :-)

Here's what these look like in game under neutral white light (in the same little brick upload room ;) )
    ArtofArrow%203_zpsmpdpknlq.jpg
    edited February 2017
    Thank you so much @rosemow and @AIRIS6962 ! Glad to be of help Airis, hope my little experiments might come in useful one day for one of your awesome builds! :)
    edited February 2017
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    edited February 2017
    Corwim wrote: »
    Thank you so much @rosemow Took some getting used, but I think I'm getting the hang of these paintings by reference! :)

Haha, thank you @BreeMiles :D It can't hurt to have something pretty to look at while you're working on mastering a new technique, can it? ;)

No no and your pic's are making it all the much more better!

Edit
    P.S. You are picking out all my favorite ones too!
    Thank you so much @rosemow ! Hope someone will find these useful. :) Thank you @BreeMiles ! Glad you're liking the pictures, and finding some of your favourites among them as well. :)
    edited February 2017
    Art of Orlando Bloom
    Gallery Link

ArtofActors1_zpsvk8trzf6.jpg

So the Arrow artwork seems to have gone down well on the Gallery (and the Deadpool one is now ironically my most downloaded room bar the Maxis Fav'd ones :D ), so I decided to upload a few more samples of Sam's work. :)

I picked the three colour studies of actors I did the last time as my next Gallery uploads. You can find all of the artwork uploads on the Gallery by the way if you use the #SamGladstone hashtag on there. Thought the original creator of all of these would be a good way to connect them all together. :)

Up first is Orlando Bloom. Here's what the paintings of him look like in game up close:
    ArtofActors4_zpsjeqqa7e9.jpg
    Art of Kit Harington
    Gallery Link

ArtofActors2_zpsjuxrdfq9.jpg

Up next is Kit Harington. Not sure people will recognize the actor playing Jon Snow in Game of Thrones from these paintings, but who knows. :) Here's what the paintings of him look like in game up close:
    ArtofActors5_zpsafqsaunx.jpg
    Art of Paul Walker
    Gallery Link

ArtofActors3_zpsg06xlzlc.jpg

And the final one is the late Paul Walker, a very talented actor who tragically died in a car crash in 2013 aged only 40. May he rest in peace.
    Here's what the paintings of him look like in game up close:
    ArtofActors6_zpsmz6ocltc.jpg
    The latest artwork pictures look great! :) It is a great idea to use the hashtag SamGladstone for the rooms. It links the artwork together when searching, and it is a nice recognition of the sim who did the paintings!
  • CasseeCassee Posts: 3,710 Member
    th?id=OIP.TYcOxbHBZXp0A0fpqdoXdgEsEP&w=254&h=218&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=2.5&pid=1.7

Me likey very much!! Yes...very much♥♥ Superfantabulistic paintings...!!
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. Bertrand Russell
    sims4siggie2018_zpslw60zcgd.png
    Cassee's Corner: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783956/cassees-corner-new-5309-memory-lane-wip-page-72/p1
    Thank you so much @rosemow ! :) I thought it would be a nice idea to have a hashtag that would link together all these artworks. :)

Lolz, love the cartoon @Cassee ! :smiley: Glad you're liking these! :)

A few more teasers: :)

Thinking about making a The Little Mermaid themed kid's room: :)
    ArtofLittleMermaid1_zpsvvlh1m5p.jpg

Another one of my favourite movies, Guardians of the Galaxy, coming to a Gallery near you soon: ;)
    ArtofGuardians1_zpsxeipalaf.jpg

ArtofGuardians3_zps9sii9vkp.jpg

ArtofGuardians8_zps0s5qiqa4.jpg

Not yet sure how I'll upload the Guardians of the Galaxy ones. There are nine different images, all painted during the three different 'colour' variants of the day, so there are 27 of these in total. Should I upload them per three (same image with three different colour variations) or per nine (same colour but 9 different images)? Guess I'll have to see first if I do them per nine whether the Gallery picture upload shows them clear enough, as is the case when you upload them per three. And wondering whether people would prefer downloading per character (so per three) or per colour (per nine).
    edited February 2017
  • SorceressSorceress Posts: 940 Member
    These are all really interesting @Corwim thanks for sharing them :) They look really good!
    Sorceress%20sig.png
    Thanks to Cbear13 for the signature and showcase images!
    Origin Id: Sorceress2696
    Sims 4 Gallery Here!
    Art of a Male Model 1
    Gallery Link

ArtofModels1_zpsfjxogqb1.jpg

Slowly working my way through Sam's backlog of paintings lolz :smiley: . The ones he did of a few male models fashion pictures were up next. :)

Here's what these look like in game:
    ArtofModels5_zpsmb43ierm.jpg