Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Vampire Coven Challenge [Updated 02/04]

StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
The version on the blog is much easier to read since when I paste it here all of the numbers and bullet points disappear! I would strongly suggest reading that version. I will update both in this first testing stage so expect semi-daily updates.

The Vampire Coven Challenge main page

For anyone looking to attempt this challenge please note that it's in the beginning testing stage and this page will be updated daily as I learn more about how vampires work.

This challenge was created based on the hundreds of urban fantasy and paranormal romance novels I've read. I had thought of doing a vampire legacy but that idea went out the window pretty fast since they're immortal. I wanted to find a way to do several generations in an immortal family. This is the result.

Backstory

Vampires are naturally dominant creatures. There is constant vying for the leader position. In their previous coven the master vampire was unbeaten for a hundred years. In an attempt to get out of his outdated and old fashioned rule without fighting him your main vampire convinces 7 others to escape to Forgotten Hollow. They gained permission from Vlad to build on an empty lot and keep a stable of humans in the adjoining lot. Will this new coven keep themselves together or be torn apart?

This challenge is created with story purposes in mind. There is no scoring. The main objective is to build up the coven from practically nothing to greatness. This will not be easy. Constant infighting will mean losing vamps that could hold high paying jobs. Vamps will succumb to despair (immortality sickness) or fall in love with humans and become mortal and leave the coven. As the coven is in constant flux it will be difficult to build it up to the greatness originally envisioned by the founders.

Setup

Start out with only your leader. You may create the other 7 vamps if you want prior to the start but at the beginning it will only be the leader so that he/she can get their skill up some and get an alternate food source ready for the others. Then you can have the others move in either right away or slowly. At least 4 should be young adult. Adding any toddlers or children will make it significantly more difficult at first because they won't be able to help produce income. Start them off in the empty lot in Forgotten Hollow. Build a house with the worst possible conditions you can make. Basically just a roof over their heads with coffins and the basic necessities. Drop their funds down to $1,000 after you set up their starter lair. If you don't like to build you can get something off the gallery and take out any luxuries. Assign any house traits you'd like but Vamp Lair trait is a requirement.

The vampires must befriend and convince 4-6 humans to become donors and move into the empty starter house next to their house or a starter house you build or download from the gallery. That is considered their stable. Some of these humans should be female. $500 must be spent weekly in addition to the bills for the improvement and care of the stable. At elder age humans are retired, moved out and replaced. Assign any house traits you'd like but the Dark Ley Line trait is a requirement. (To move the chosen humans into/out of the stable use manage worlds. To improve the house weekly go to manage worlds and build.)

Rules

Once a week you will roll for a random number 1-99:
  • 1-30 One of the up and coming vamps of your choice challenges the leader to a duel to prove their skill. Note: must lower relationship considerably for this interaction to be available unless they have the mean trait so choose the challenger wisely.
  • 31-60 A vampire of your choosing succumbs to despair and chooses to ask the leader to take the cure so that they may lead a mortal life and leave the coven. Their reasoning is up to you storywise and will most likely change from one instance to the next.
  • 61-99 A vampire must challenge the leader for control of the coven. The challenging vampire should have the cure in their inventory for the slay option to be available. Their relationship will need to be quite low as well. If they succeed the leader is made mortal and is banished making the winner the new leader. If the challenger fails they will be left out in the sun to perish as the others watch from shade to witness what happens if they challenge the leader. (Turn autonomy off for the "watching" so they don't all run around in the sun)

Note: The duel/cure/slay roll doesn't start until you have produced the cure potion. You will need a vampire to reach level 15 in the vampire lore skill to unlock it. Also note that the cure drink expires so don't make it unless your roll requires it!

To replace the vampire that has left the coven either through banishment or death a new vampire must join their ranks. This can happen in several ways and it is up to you to decide or you can roll. You can have a female try for baby with another vampire. You can turn one of the humans in the stable. You can choose a human friend that one of the vampires has met. Or you can choose one of the seeded vamps or vampire townies. (See the final rule regarding townie vamps.)

The leading vampire must feed from the stable of humans daily. They are exempt from the breeding rules if they are male.

Rotate the vampires in groups of two at a time each day to feed at the stable at approximately the same time each day.

Each time that a male vampire feeds off of a stabled female human you must roll to determine if they try for baby to help seed the community with possibly more vampires. The roll percentage is up to you.

Females can only try for baby with male vamps to keep bloodline as pure as possible. If one defies this rule they are made mortal and banished.

The vampires in the coven can have relationships and marry each other but if one wants to marry a human they must be cured and leave the coven.

If one of a married pair loses a battle with the leader and is cured you have the choice of divorcing them and keeping one or curing both... same option for their children.

Vampires only travel in pairs or groups for safety and to regulate behavior. Any vamp "caught" by a human feeding on a non-stable human is punished. They must "hibernate" in their casket until they have missed their training and at least one feeding.

Must wear disguises outside of Forgotten Hollow.

The leading vampire must offer vampire training to the coven members regularly. You might want to schedule this to make it easier to keep up with.

This is one of the reasons you're starting with only the leader. The leader should seek training from elder vampires whenever any of the coven members are getting close to the same level as them because once they are the same level they can no longer offer training.

The coven can make income any way that you choose. I would suggest against the leader having a job. Training drains their energy too much.

Vampires are lusty creatures. To add a bit of drama they should each have lovers either in the coven or secretly on the outside which will be difficult since they're rarely alone unless they can sneak away. Married vampires would of course be exempt from this unless you choose otherwise. I didn't add any kind of rolling for this because I think that would take some of the fun and storytelling out of it.

Regarding randomly generated townie vamps and pre-made vamps... Dating and woohoo is okay. Only female coven members may try for baby with an outside male vamp IF you must replace a vamp following a spar/cure/slay roll. You may move them into the coven if they are a Flegling or Minor vampire.

The Endgame

This wouldn't be a challenge without some sort of endgame in mind. I caution you not to rush to complete the challenge and in the meantime lose opportunities for storytelling. Keep in mind that a regular legacy challenge lasts 10 generations so I'm hoping this will last an equal amount of time. Once some play testing is done I will determine if the endgame is too easy or not. The challenge is finished when:
  • Any vampires in the coven complete the Vampire Family, Master Vampire and Good Vampire aspirations.
  • Any vampires in the coven complete the Mansion Baron and Fabulously Wealthy aspirations.
  • Any vampires in the coven max the organ skill and the vampire lore skill.
  • For more of a challenge add the Rosebud achievement. (optional)

So that's it! This challenge was written for my own entertainment and because I get very bored without a challenge. Feel free to make it your own in your game. If you don't like the backstory/rules/endgame then make new ones for yourself. It's your game... make what you like of it and if you want look at this as guidelines instead. It won't hurt my feelings. I actually look forward to seeing how it morphs to fit your stories. Please feel free to comment with your modifications and links to your stories so others can see them. I didn't want to make so many rules that you're constantly having to minimize the game to re-read the rules. I wanted rules that you can easily remember but still make it challenging and fun.
Post edited by StormyDayz on

Comments

• StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
  • misfit091376misfit091376 Posts: 992 Member
    This sounds like fun! When a new pack comes out, I play a normal game just to see what it's about, but it's boring not having a challenge. So now, I'll have a challenge to play when the vamp pack comes out :)
    This sounds like fun! When a new pack comes out, I play a normal game just to see what it's about, but it's boring not having a challenge. So now, I'll have a challenge to play when the vamp pack comes out :)

I was thinking the same thing! You know me, I can't play Sims without some sort of challenge! But after searching first for Sims 4 challenges (which I found none of) and then sifting through the Sims 2 and 3 ones I didn't find anything I liked. I couldn't sleep and kept thinking of things I'd like to do and taking notes and before I knew it I had a challenge. ;)

I was thinking the same thing! You know me, I can't play Sims without some sort of challenge! But after searching first for Sims 4 challenges (which I found none of) and then sifting through the Sims 2 and 3 ones I didn't find anything I liked. I couldn't sleep and kept thinking of things I'd like to do and taking notes and before I knew it I had a challenge. ;)

You did a great job! Now I really can't wait for the pack!
    Modified the rules some today after watching The Sims twitch livestream. I plan to update more if needed when I get more information.
    I can't wait til Tuesday!

Me either! OMG I can't wait. Other than toddlers, which we didn't expect anyway, I have never been so excited for a new Sims pack! In any of the games. I love vampires. I've read so many vampire books... just looked at my vamps shelf on Goodreads it says 154 books. That's just the ones I remembered to mark vamps on! I'd say I have a bit of an obsession. :D;)

Me either! OMG I can't wait. Other than toddlers, which we didn't expect anyway, I have never been so excited for a new Sims pack! In any of the games. I love vampires. I've read so many vampire books... just looked at my vamps shelf on Goodreads it says 154 books. That's just the ones I remembered to mark vamps on! I'd say I have a bit of an obsession. :D;)

The only thing I didn't really like about vampires in 3 was the sun lol. I'm definitely not as obsessed as you ;), but the new pack looks like they're going to be so much fun to work with! 4 has improved so much stuff so it should be great!
    The only thing I didn't really like about vampires in 3 was the sun lol. I'm definitely not as obsessed as you ;), but the new pack looks like they're going to be so much fun to work with! 4 has improved so much stuff so it should be great!

In 3 I played a family where the wife fell in love with a vampire and had to continuously make ambrosia to stay with him. They had children and I think only one was a vampire. Eventually he decided to become human and I started a generation with the kids but it wasn't the same and I got bored. That was before I was blogging.

I played a vampire dad in 2 but lost interest pretty quick. I did a generation of vampires in my Awesimsauce Challenge too and that turned out pretty cool and dramatic story-wise but playing the vampires got annoying pretty quick with the whole hissing and putting their arm over their mouths thing. If you're interested I did blog that here's the chapter index it starts on chapter 2.5: Bleh, Bleh, Bleh. The black generation didn't last long. Their last chapter is 3.3: An Abrupt and Unfortunate End.

In 3 I played a family where the wife fell in love with a vampire and had to continuously make ambrosia to stay with him. They had children and I think only one was a vampire. Eventually he decided to become human and I started a generation with the kids but it wasn't the same and I got bored. That was before I was blogging.

I played a vampire dad in 2 but lost interest pretty quick. I did a generation of vampires in my Awesimsauce Challenge too and that turned out pretty cool and dramatic story-wise but playing the vampires got annoying pretty quick with the whole hissing and putting their arm over their mouths thing. If you're interested I did blog that here's the chapter index it starts on chapter 2.5: Bleh, Bleh, Bleh. The black generation didn't last long. Their last chapter is 3.3: An Abrupt and Unfortunate End.

I didn't really do much with the vampires in 3, and I didn't ever play 2. I'll read the blog :) I'm curious to see how different they are in 3 and 4.
    I like it! What a dramatic end!
    I like it! What a dramatic end!

Thanks. I loved that challenge and do plan to go back at some point because I have the green generation already planned out. Sims 2 is just so different to play than 4 I get annoyed with it.

Thanks. I loved that challenge and do plan to go back at some point because I have the green generation already planned out. Sims 2 is just so different to play than 4 I get annoyed with it.

I've seen the challenge for sims 3 I believe. I wish someone had it for 4. It looks like tons of fun!
    I've seen the challenge for sims 3 I believe. I wish someone had it for 4. It looks like tons of fun!

Well, all the gamepacks and stuff really need to be out before anyone can re-create it because each generation uses some of each gamepack. Like I wouldn't have been able to do the black generation without the new Vamp pack. And there's a goal for vacations and so far we only have one place. It'd be kinda boring. I hope to write it one day when more content comes out though because I love it.
    Well, all the gamepacks and stuff really need to be out before anyone can re-create it because each generation uses some of each gamepack. Like I wouldn't have been able to do the black generation without the new Vamp pack. And there's a goal for vacations and so far we only have one place. It'd be kinda boring. I hope to write it one day when more content comes out though because I love it.

Ah, ok. That's too bad. That would be cool if you rewrote it!
  • crissylp89crissylp89 Posts: 35 Member
    I like it! I will prob start with a smaller coven because my laptop is not a fan of me playing with a full household haha. Can't wait to try it out!
    crissylp89 wrote: »
    I like it! I will prob start with a smaller coven because my laptop is not a fan of me playing with a full household haha. Can't wait to try it out!

Glad you like it! It would work exactly the same with a smaller household. Just pick a number like 4 or 6 and then when one or two leave you have to replace that number. Let us know how it goes. I can't wait for the new pack! :D
    I've started the challenge! Anyone who wants to help me playtest it I'd appreciate the help. Here's the link for the introduction chapter:

Chapter .05: Meet the Coven
    @misfit091376 Okay so if you do plan to start this tomorrow or sometime soon I'm thinking it's going to be necessary to change to start from 8 vampires to like 4 maybe less. Since the plasma fruit isn't harvestable it makes it really difficult to fill the thirst need at first. I'm practically losing my mind with 6 of them (2 are children) so I'll update you here on how it goes.
    Please note: I've changed some of the rules based on my first day's playthrough of the challenge. It is much easier to read on the blog here:Vampire Coven Challenge Rules because it would take forever for me to go through the first post here and put the changes in bold and add bullet points and numbered lists since all of that is taken out when pasting.

If you're planning to start the challenge the biggest change is that you will begin with one vampire instead of eight! This should be the vampire you plan to have as the leader. I haven't determined the amount of time yet but I'm figuring around the first week and then adding either the rest or a little at a time. It needs testing to determine which would be easier. I never planned for the beginning to be a struggle and it was with eight vamps.
    @Rainydayz179 That would be a lot easier with just one to start. I'll start helping test sometime today. I think I've gotten a pretty good handle on how to use the vampires now.
    @Rainydayz179 That would be a lot easier with just one to start. I'll start helping test sometime today. I think I've gotten a pretty good handle on how to use the vampires now.

I started testing it out like an hour ago. I'm kinda ticked off because now I realize you don't get all the helpful stuff when you start with 8 like Vlad calling to welcome you and giving you plasma packs. My other big mistake was not reading the steps for the different aspirations because I didn't want to worry about them yet. Obviously if I had I wouldn't have struggled so hard because they tell you what to do for food. Oh well. Lesson learned! :D

I started testing it out like an hour ago. I'm kinda ticked off because now I realize you don't get all the helpful stuff when you start with 8 like Vlad calling to welcome you and giving you plasma packs. My other big mistake was not reading the steps for the different aspirations because I didn't want to worry about them yet. Obviously if I had I wouldn't have struggled so hard because they tell you what to do for food. Oh well. Lesson learned! :D

That's odd that it's like that! I learned a lot from researching vampires on the computer (in game)!
    That's odd that it's like that! I learned a lot from researching vampires on the computer (in game)!

*sigh* Yea, I didn't know you could do that until I read Carl's guide. Silly me! :#
    Just FYI I checked over on the MC Command Center thread on Mod the Sims and it seems like a lot of people are complaining about the vampire invasion. Looks like the crazy amount of vamps I got can be accounted to the mod. I'll just leave it out of my game for now and hope for the best. It's gonna drive me nuts not having it.