Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

City Living is beautiful, BUT

I can't play in it. My Sims get angry and can't sleep because of the neighbors. I try to put my Sim and Toddler to napping in the daytime (to prepare for the partying the neighbors have every night) but I get tired of my Sims being angry all the time.

I moved them to WC and it is such a big difference. They seem more normal now, LOL. I had issued with this prior to Toddlers coming out, I just dealt with the single living life. I just can't stand my Toddler being so angry every night though :D Pounding on the neighbors door doesn't seem to help either.

Any suggestions on how to get around this? I love living in the city, but its too much for me!

*sorry if this has been posted before*

Comments

• ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    It seem to vary depending on who is your neighbour, had one household where the neighbour played music almost every night and another where the neighbour hasn't said a thing yet. Plus there are lot traits that might help prevent things so yeah.

Also empty lots doesn't seem to be noisy, but of a boring solution but yeah.

Else there might be a mod (if you are not against that) that can help solve the issue if its too horrible for you.
  • aldavoraldavor Posts: 1,387 Member
    In my own experience, it hasn't mattered which shared-level apartment my sim inhabits, the noisy neighbour factor has always kicked in. I'm not sure if you can completely clear it; perhaps it's all part of the apartment experience.

Personally (and I know it's possibly cheating a little bit...), when I get fed up with it, I wait until the noise abates then I go into Manage Worlds, go to the apartment, click on the three dots and evict the family - that then gives me some respite for a few days until the game moves another family in ;)
    cat01.gif
    My Website: https://sims4.aldavor.net
    #keepitfree
  • Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    I just kick all the neighbours out lol.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I like a bit of challenge . For me SM is for my young single sims. As soon as they are starting a family I move them elsewhere . But enjoy the craziness while you are still young!
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited January 2017
    Oh, I didn't move them to WC, it was the one that came with GT :D I like the one floor houses, so I haven't experienced my Toddler climbing stairs yet (but it does look cute from what I have seen on here)!

I dont use mods yet, but I have in the past games, so I will keep that in mind down the road!

I never thought about evicting the neighbors!!! I am one of those that think I should leave them where they are or it will mess up my game! I have become to realize you can do what you want with this game and there doesn't appear to be consequences. I guess you could with other games too, but I find that with S4, I can be more daring, LOL

I have experienced nothing but noise every night from the neighbors, sometimes they start about 5 (I think they do it on purpose because my Sim pounded on their door)

I had to take my Toddler downstairs to the park so she could sleep (nap, not sure the option) on the ground. I took a pic, but can't find it, LOL

I took a pic where they are both angry, but not sure if it was potty training or the neighbors :D
    [img][/img]1z6r56u.png

Post edited by FairyGodMother on
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    I don't own CL, but to me from what I've seen of apartment life, it seems to suffer from "Eager Feature Syndrome;" that is to say, the devs were afraid you might miss this feature, so they cranked it up to 11 to make sure it occurs constantly and prevents you from missing out on the new content. Given that this is the same dev team that includes new whims for EVERY new pack and ensures your Sims autonomously perform EVERY new action (how often did your sims watch BETween TV or drink water when those features released), I'd bet money they followed the same practice with neighbors and their interactions.

Looks absolutely obnoxious to me and makes me glad I didn't purchase.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • SimsInHogwartsSimsInHogwarts Posts: 57 Member

I've really thought of doing that, although I don't have a problem with the noise (I just pound on the neighbor's door).
    But, doesn't that ruin the whole apartment experience? Noise is something that can happen irl as well..

• BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I just can't stand my Toddler being so angry every night though :D

I lol'ed

Gallery ID: babysquare
  • JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    Wow... To the OP, I can certainly understand how annoying that could be. :open_mouth:

I haven't run into that exact issue yet; however, I might be soon. I only have family in San Myshuno and the wife is currently pregnant. This will be my first toddler in the city since the patch, but they live in one of the more expensive apartments and noise hasn't been a problem yet. *fingers crossed*
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

I've really thought of doing that, although I don't have a problem with the noise (I just pound on the neighbor's door).
    But, doesn't that ruin the whole apartment experience? Noise is something that can happen irl as well..

I have a neighbor in an apartment who's a drug addict/alcoholic with a nasty habit of screaming/singing in the middle of the night.

Despite this, he probably does it 1-2 times per month. Any Let's Play I see of City Living has this happening daily, as well as constant visits.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • toxxictoxxic Posts: 11 New Member
    It's annoying to me how often my sims get angry too. One of the apartments had the "quiet" trait and yet she was playing music so loud my sim couldn't sleep.
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited January 2017
    I don't own CL, but to me from what I've seen of apartment life, it seems to suffer from "Eager Feature Syndrome;" that is to say, the devs were afraid you might miss this feature, so they cranked it up to 11 to make sure it occurs constantly and prevents you from missing out on the new content. Given that this is the same dev team that includes new whims for EVERY new pack and ensures your Sims autonomously perform EVERY new action (how often did your sims watch BETween TV or drink water when those features released), I'd bet money they followed the same practice with neighbors and their interactions.

Looks absolutely obnoxious to me and makes me glad I didn't purchase.

I actually think this is for testing purposes, as increasing autonomy preference on new items means Sims won't wander off to do other things, essentially making it easier for the devs or QA people to do their QA tasks. I would say it's most likely human error where they forget to reduce the autonomy preference before releasing the finished product. There are plenty of other items that have been introduced with no excessive use problems.

The whole excessive BeTween TV problem was because autonomy for every channel except BeTween TV and the other kids channel was switched off. Again, I would say this was done while the videos for the new channel were being tested and having Sims only watch that channel would've made testing a lot easier. This problem was acknowledged and fixed by devs so I don't think there's a conspiracy here.
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I usually kick out all the pre-made chars and add in My own creations, and not many of those to boot, that way it cuts down on the noise, :)
  • klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    Have you considered moving your sim into that one apartment (I believe it's the Medina Studios building in the Arts Quarter where Salim Benali lives) with the quiet lot trait? It's also haunted, but that trait can easily be removed. My sim never, ever had any noise issues with her neighbors. If she made noise however, they'd come pounding at the door. With some renovations though, the apartment's really quite beautiful and she never had trouble sleeping at night. :)
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Our sims need white noise machines to be able to block out the noise from the neighbors. Too bad they didn't include something like that with the EP.
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I can see how that would be tough with a toddler- lol! Otherwise, I was really worried I'd get tired of the neighbors and the TLC fixed traits when i first moved into my apartment in the Spice District. I was really happy when I read about a mod to disable and remove the fixed TLC traits and I thought about moving everyone out but... then... it just quickly grew on me. I realized I'd miss the pipes breaking and the weird neighbor answering his door after woohooing in the maid's outfit and I never went to download the mod. Maybe it's the challenge or just the quirkiness of it- I don't know. I built a little story line I acted out where Reg and Max go to look at a brand new apartment in the Myshuno Meadows mixed use development- clean, quiet and WITH A POOL! but realize they miss the "crazy" and decide against it. First thing back at the Culpepper they stayed up late, played loud music until the guy next door complained and then got into a fight... ahh, it was good to be home...
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    Get your sims to live in a penthouse. The view from one is stunning and no annoying neighbors! :+1:
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    @toxxic I wondered if the quiet trait worked on an apt.? Wow, still noise though :o

@Jase I will keep my fingers crossed for you too! I hope your neighbors don't start partying, arguing, etc when you have a Toddler. Let us know how that goes! *thinking you should move to Culpepper to get the full effect though* :D

@DeservedCriticism Never heard the term "Eager Feature Syndrome" but I seem to agree with you on that one! Yes, in my game anyway, they were loud every night!

@BlueBlack007 Wow, so that works? Kicking the pre-mades out and moving your own in? Seems like they would still party if you don't play them, rotate them? I will try that next time, for sure!

@klestrella Is that the apt. that seems really dark? I moved into one when CL came out, that had ghost (only seem the ghost a few times), but not sure if thats the one you are talking about! Of course, that was before Toddlers came :D I am definitely going to move a family in there to see if it is quiet. I would love living in the City if my Sims weren't angry all the time, LOL

@Cabelle1863 Not heard the term "White Noise Machines" but if it would work, I am all for it! Would be nice to be able to turn it on and off though. I wouldn't mind the partying but if my Sim didn't have to work the next day!

@JasonAnthonySterling I remember first playing CL. Her apt. got so bad, bugs constantly, mice in the LR and BR, pipes shocking the landlord (didn't kill him though) but he refused to come fix anything after that. Moved my Sim out on the balcony so she wouldn't be tense all the time. Lost power, so computer (on balcony) didn't work. Called a repairman to fix the refrigerator (before power went out, and because that was the only thing broke that would let me call the repairman! Landlord refused so what was I to do?) Repairman came and didn't fix the fridge, but did fix the power box! Oh that was a hoot to play, so much going on at once. I wonder if I have a Toddler, will they be tense all the time? Would the mice scare them? Well, I guess I need to try that! :o:D

@DeKay I did move one into the penthouse (cheated money) to see what it was like (before Toddlers) but didn't play long enough to see if anything happened. Good to know there are no annoying neighbors! I think I still have that save, will check it out! I was building up the neighborhood (NC) so I was bouncing back and forth, LOL

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will definitely try them as I would love my Sims to be living in the City again <3 Some of the neighbors I would love to choke or set fire to, but instead, I will remain nice and evict them >:)
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    My sim got in a fight with the landlord and she would NEVER come back- LOL! I just made him do everything himself. I was a little worried about the electrical box at first and would save the game every time right before having him fix it! In the end though he got pretty adept at it. I love your moving out onto the balcony to save yourself from your apartment- THAT'S GREAT! I hadn't thought about how the toddler will react to the mice- going to go try that myself!
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    edited January 2017
    [...]

@DeKay I did move one into the penthouse (cheated money) to see what it was like (before Toddlers) but didn't play long enough to see if anything happened. Good to know there are no annoying neighbors! I think I still have that save, will check it out! I was building up the neighborhood (NC) so I was bouncing back and forth, LOL

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will definitely try them as I would love my Sims to be living in the City again <3 Some of the neighbors I would love to choke or set fire to, but instead, I will remain nice and evict them >:)

Wait, I probably forgot to mention the part where you will still get visitors who said they wanna come by and eat or whatever. LOL. There's only no noisy partying neighbors. But it's kinda like just having random sims coming over your house, you can just ask them to leave. Maybe if you don't want that, you can put the private dwelling lot trait.

My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • ponderosaponderosa Posts: 238 Member
    I've noticed that if my sims befriend the neighbors, they're a lot quieter. I still get some pretty obnoxious loud nights from time to time, but it's definitely cut down on them.
    tumblr_opta4zrh011r17qi5o1_500.gif
    origin ID: maureenponderosa
  • klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    @klestrella Is that the apt. that seems really dark? I moved into one when CL came out, that had ghost (only seem the ghost a few times), but not sure if thats the one you are talking about! Of course, that was before Toddlers came :D I am definitely going to move a family in there to see if it is quiet. I would love living in the City if my Sims weren't angry all the time, LOL
    It is! It has a description that mentions a medium having lived there before, hence the haunted lot trait. I think it's actually a really nice place once it's renovated. :) Hopefully you'll have no trouble there.
    edited January 2017
    Well, I made a Sim lady named Kailyn, made a room-mate named Benjamin, then played with genetics and created Nathanial B)
    2h4eq3a.png
    24wvx2g.png
    Nathanial was angry about something, but he needed a bath also, I wish I could have gotten a close up of his face, too funny!

I was planning to move Kailyn and Nathanial (hence why I made Kailyn and Benjamin just room-mates) to Culpepper.......but I just couldn't ! When Benjamin went to work, Nathanial got the sad moodlet......and it was sad :'(
    I dont have it in me to throw a toddler in where mice and bugs are :D so I will leave that to someone else ;)

Edit: for spelling and to remove the IMG.......LOL