Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I would call this update a free EP...

I think the toddler release is the best/most complete add on to date for TS4. Love the level of complexity in the new interactions and the ton of clothing and hairstyles. It has more content than most of the gamepacks and EPs. Highly recommend this update.

Comments

• Options
    JordojordJordojord Posts: 578 Member
    Saying EP is a long stretch lol.. But I'm glad you're happy with it.
    My Top Picks for an EP:
    University
    Seasons
    Bonvoyage style (Loved those hotels)
  • Options
    zeppelin123zeppelin123 Posts: 864 Member
    It had a lot more content than Get Together (which I was somewhat disappointed with as it felt more like a stuff pack with a couple of interactions). Maybe it just seems like a ton of content because it is all content I will use whereas in GTW I only really play one career and in City Life the main things I use are the apartments and not much else.
  • Options
    HopeTahHopeTah Posts: 144 Member
    I'm happy we got the toddlers now, but hello, I was expecting the toddlers to be in Sims 4 to begin with!
  • Options
    LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    Jordojord wrote: »

Size wise the update wasn't far off that of an EP I think it was something like 1.9GB which was bigger than the first 2 EP's (GTW= 1.61GB, GT1.65), city living has been the biggest so far (2.45GB). (the gender patch last year was 1.4GB and they worked on that for a year, i suspect toddlers took longer OR more resources in a shorter period of time)

It may not seem like and EP. But I suspect the amount of work was equal or more due to the details of animations, all the new social options, skills, traits etc. Its pretty impressive when you look at it. The movements of the toddlers are so fluid and they have allot of random movement.

tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    LunaNova wrote: »
    Jordojord wrote: »

Size wise the update wasn't far off that of an EP I think it was something like 1.9GB which was bigger than the first 2 EP's (GTW= 1.61GB, GT1.65), city living has been the biggest so far (2.45GB). (the gender patch last year was 1.4GB and they worked on that for a year, i suspect toddlers took longer OR more resources in a shorter period of time)

It may not seem like and EP. But I suspect the amount of work was equal or more due to the details of animations, all the new social options, skills, traits etc. Its pretty impressive when you look at it. The movements of the toddlers are so fluid and they have allot of random movement.

See I'm confused here because mine and a friend's game both said the update for toddlers was 3.11gb. Why is that?
  • Options
    kitty29041985kitty29041985 Posts: 792 Member
    This update.... Yes, it's a big surprise! A good one!
  • Options
    klovesjenklovesjen Posts: 361 Member
    Game changer. I am so thrilled. So happy. SO HAPPY!!!!! Thank you EA! Thank you Guru's! Thank you for your hard work! I'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ponderosaponderosa Posts: 238 Member
    Crazy impressive. The amount of content they added free of charge was insane. I don't know if I would call it a free EP, but jeez. Amazing. I've never been a huge toddler fan, but I have mentioned to friends the things that would need to change in order for me to actually enjoy them. Those needs were most definitely met. The tots are grating on my nerves right now, but this is the first time TS4 has actually been difficult. I greatly approve.
    tumblr_opta4zrh011r17qi5o1_500.gif
    origin ID: maureenponderosa
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    I'd say that's an overstatement, but they did give a substantial amount of free content. Maybe like a small GP.

Yeah, I agree. It's more like a GP for me. Maybe not even a small GP but like 80% of a GP. :) We got some cool new wallpapers that I was very excited about. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    Well it definitely feels like more than an update that's for sure.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    Way better than either, did you know there is a toddler tablet? There is so much stuff with toddlers. I was amazed. I will say EP also, the toddlers are really fleshed out and fun. So many new animations. Best thing that has happened in Sims 4. I am still wowed by all of it. The toddlers are actually the best toddlers ever done in Sims.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited January 2017
    It's great great great addition but it should have been in the base game so no, it doesn't feel like a free EP or GP to me.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    I'd say that's an overstatement, but they did give a substantial amount of free content. Maybe like a small GP.

Yeah, I agree. It's more like a GP for me. Maybe not even a small GP but like 80% of a GP. :) We got some cool new wallpapers that I was very excited about. XD

Definitely GP-sized though. Toddlers + bunch of new traits + lots of CAS / B&B + new radio station + so much love haha
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    OGjpCzi.png

This is a screen of my laptop I sent a friend when I updated toddlers. My game was up to date as I play it everyday. How come my download is so big..... bigger than our biggest expansion so far ?
  • Options
    mcrudd wrote: »
    OGjpCzi.png

This is a screen of my laptop I sent a friend when I updated toddlers. My game was up to date as I play it everyday. How come my download is so big..... bigger than our biggest expansion so far ?

I think that's all the files that have to be prepared for the update (I also got 3.11 at that point). You'll notice this often with patches though that while it's preparing everything for the updates, the total size is bigger than what's eventually installed as 'patch'.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    But even if the download might be less. I would still say this is worth an expansion pack. Dont just look at the items, look at all the animations, not just for toddlers, but for all the life stages that interact with them, all the toys and furniture that we had before that can be used by them. I would say a lot more work than a game pack went into this ;)
  • Options
    AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    It's definitely a big updates and it changes how people play with the sims 4 even more than expansion pack did!
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »

I think that's all the files that have to be prepared for the update (I also got 3.11 at that point). You'll notice this often with patches though that while it's preparing everything for the updates, the total size is bigger than what's eventually installed as 'patch'.

Thanks, that would explain it then :)

• Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited January 2017
    Content-wise (objects and CAS items) I agree with other forum posters that it's closer to a GP. Gameplay-wise, for me, it's even better than any EP we've gotten so far. This update will have a great impact on my day-to-day play. It's almost a new game.

As regards the amount of work/budget it required, I think this is also closer to an EP. The amount of new animations required alone far exceeds what we've gotten with new EPs (and animations are one of the most expensive parts of the process) . Just think about it: toddler animations (and there are more than ever since now toddlers can climb stairs and furniture, and there are lots of new activities for them too); adult/teen/elder animations when interacting with toddlers; children animations when intercting with toddlers. I am amazed they could do this for free (and I'm sure the team must have fought for this because the higher ups at EA probably wanted this to be sold separately as a GP).
  • Options
    mcrudd wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Thanks, that would explain it then :)

You're welcome :D I just checked to make sure by downloading the patch on my laptop as well, and yup 3.11 GB files were prepared for a 1.90 GB patch (which is still huge honestly for an update). I'm so happy everyone's so happy. Best TS4 day ever yesterday ^^
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I'd say a beefy SP or a light GP, somewhere in between.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    I'd say a beefy SP or a light GP, somewhere in between.

But they said that they can't include many new animations in SPs because of budget limitations. You usually get new stuff and one or two gameplay objects with reused animations. So this far exceeds SP material in my opinion (at least from the developers perspective).
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    All I know is they really surprised me with the amount of content/features they decided to include with this patch. When I thought of them patching toddlers into The Sims 4, I was honestly thinking they would just give us one high chair, one potty chair, a crib, and just let the toddlers play with toys that are already in the game. I also thought they would only come with basic interactions (like teach to walk, teach to talk, potty train, etc).

They exceeded beyond my expectations, which is exactly why I apologized and took back all the horrible things I said about the developers. I was wrong about them and I feel so awful now. They were working on such an important update this whole time and I was always calling them "lazy" and claiming how they "don't care about the fans" because toddlers were delayed for so long (I assumed they were ignoring us).
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg