Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game maxing out CPU

Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
So I bought a new CPU last month as my old one was horribly outdated, my new one is the Skylake Intel i5 6600k. And the game is nearly maxing out my CPU, jumping into the 70-80s percentile on a regular home lot, and this never did this before. It becomes more concerning when going to my restaurants, as I've watched the game using up to 97%. Like I stated earlier, didn't have this issue on my old CPU.

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited January 2017
    @chesterbigbird help with CPU overheating

@Gabe_oz Do you have a good CPU cooler ? What kind of case do you have and do you have airflow in your case? Did you replace your motherboard and ram to go with that new skylake processor?
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    It's not unusual to see 70-80% usage.. my i7 6700k does this. The game is very cpu intensive snd it seems the stronger the cpu you have the more it will use.
    Have you checked temps also? What graphics card do you have and what is the usage on the card?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,594 Member
    It's like that on my CPU too. I have the i7 4200HQ. What was your old CPU, just curious?
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited January 2017
    Looks pretty standard to me too, on the same processor. I don't see any concern unless you're getting heat issues alongside that, in which case you need better cooling. The game is just using what it has access to. What cooler did you put in with the 6600K?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    @chesterbigbird help with CPU overheating

@Gabe_oz Do you have a good CPU cooler ? What kind of case do you have and do you have airflow in your case? Did you replace your motherboard and ram to go with that new skylake processor?

Well, I own the Hyper Evo 212 (which happens to be the most frequently used cooler for the i5), my case is the CM Storm Scout 1 and it has 3 fans (front,back,side). And yes, I did replace my motherboard and ram as my old ones couldn't use the i5. They're the they're the MSI Z170A for the motherboard and 16gb of ddr4 ram.
    It's not unusual to see 70-80% usage.. my i7 6700k does this. The game is very cpu intensive snd it seems the stronger the cpu you have the more it will use.
    Have you checked temps also? What graphics card do you have and what is the usage on the card?

I own an MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6gb, and the temperature does quite well. As for the usage, I'm not near my computer right now.
    edited January 2017
    DeKay wrote: »
    It's like that on my CPU too. I have the i7 4200HQ. What was your old CPU, just curious?

And Phenom II X6 1055T. (Not very good)
    I guess my little scare was for no reason, thanks for helping guys. :wink:
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    I guess my little scare was for no reason, thanks for helping guys. :wink:

The game is just a cpu hog.. if temps are fine then nothing to worry about ;)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,594 Member
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    DeKay wrote: »

And Phenom II X6 1055T. (Not very good)

The game has a weird way of being nicer to non-gaming hardware for some reason. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited January 2017
    It's the multitasking. The more variables, the more CPU usage it takes I've noticed.

Work places, Community Lots (with more Sims) and Restaurants (More Sims, sit, stand, eat, drink, listen to music, order food, talk etc).
    The Sims 4 needs a lot of power. but will stop itself on older CPU's. If the power is there though, it will take it :)

But yeah, take a group of Sims to a community lot with heaps of items, but can't be interacted with, and the game will be fine. Take them to a lot where they have so many variables of what they can do "at once" and the CPU goes all the way up.

That's why I have a love/hate with it.