Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on open world?

12346...Next

Comments

• Tenchi2aTenchi2a Posts: 105 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Tenchi2a wrote: »
    The problem with open world IMHO is that where it works is in closed games like MMO, but not in games that have high levels of CC.
    And with Sims 3 that doesn't just mean downloads but also just changing the color of an item.
    When you change an items color you force the computer to load a new template for that item adding to its workload.
    Where open world works is when you either have set content or large banks of servers that a home computer just can't match.
    Sims 3 biggest problem was it had to much content for the average computer to run without lag.
    Now don't get me wrong I loved the Sims 3 but I have more fun on Sim 4 were I do to not having to wait 5-15 mins for the game come out of a lag spike.
    To me the idea that you need to see a sims get into a car and drive for (depending on the world size) 3+ Mins to get to work/school/etc or I will lose my immersion is a bit much.
    I don't find the load screens as a big deal, and if this is the trade-off for less ot no lag them I'm fine with it.
    As soon as your sim steps into that car they're at work. As soon as your kid steps into that bus they're at school. Works exactly the same way as in Sims 2 and 4 where they are at work as soon as they vanish.
    Also: the game doesn't care whether it has to load a premade surface or a custom made surface (if you're referring to CASt). And as for CC, that also slows down a none open world game. Don't quite understand what you mean by 'the idea that you need to see a sim get into a car (...) or I will lose my immersion is a bit much'? I don't understand that sentence ;)

I'm am totally fine with the idea of get in car, car pulls-out, drives off screen, your there. But this thread was about open world. not ways to make it work in the current world set-up. so it seems we are on the same page here for what we could deal with.

Anytime you change the color of an item the game has to load a new layer for that color. The more coloring's/ modifications you add the more layers that have to be added. That is fine if you have an instanced world where it doesn't have to load unused coloring's/ modifications, but in an open world all layers have to be loaded to allow for there use if they show-up on screen. Failing this you get the missing item/naked sim running around till the layer has time to load. the point was not that the game cares on way or another but the computer needs more memory to
    display said add-on.
  • Tenchi2aTenchi2a Posts: 105 Member
    The problem with open world IMHO is that where it works is in closed games like MMO, but not in games that have high levels of CC.
    And with Sims 3 that doesn't just mean downloads but also just changing the color of an item.
    When you change an items color you force the computer to load a new template for that item adding to its workload.
    Where open world works is when you either have set content or large banks of servers that a home computer just can't match.
    Sims 3 biggest problem was it had to much content for the average computer to run without lag.
    Now don't get me wrong I loved the Sims 3 but I have more fun on Sim 4 were I do to not having to wait 5-15 mins for the game come out of a lag spike.
    To me the idea that you need to see a sims get into a car and drive for (depending on the world size) 3+ Mins to get to work/school/etc or I will lose my immersion is a bit much.
    I don't find the load screens as a big deal, and if this is the trade-off for less ot no lag them I'm fine with it.
    As soon as your sim steps into that car they're at work. As soon as your kid steps into that bus they're at school. Works exactly the same way as in Sims 2 and 4 where they are at work as soon as they vanish.
    Also: the game doesn't care whether it has to load a premade surface or a custom made surface (if you're referring to CASt). And as for CC, that also slows down a none open world game. Don't quite understand what you mean by 'the idea that you need to see a sim get into a car (...) or I will lose my immersion is a bit much'? I don't understand that sentence ;)

I was responding to a repeated theme that people have stated on the forum that they have to see there sims going to work/school/bar/etc. or it brakes the immersion of the game. So this was not directed at you or anyone else that have not made that there argument. So completely understand why you did not follow the statement.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2017

I'm am totally fine with the idea of get in car, car pulls-out, drives off screen, your there. But this thread was about open world. not ways to make it work in the current world set-up. so it seems we are on the same page here for what we could deal with.

Anytime you change the color of an item the game has to load a new layer for that color. The more coloring's/ modifications you add the more layers that have to be added. That is fine if you have an instanced world where it doesn't have to load unused coloring's/ modifications, but in an open world all layers have to be loaded to allow for there use if they show-up on screen. Failing this you get the missing item/naked sim running around till the layer has time to load. the point was not that the game cares on way or another but the computer needs more memory to
    display said add-on.
    I was referring to "to see a sims get into a car and drive for (depending on the world size) 3+ Mins to get to work/school/etc". They don't need 3+ minutes to get to work or school, they're there at the very moment they step into their car. And surfaces in Sims 3 have three layers that have to load, regardless whether it has to be loaded with a preset pattern or your own. That doesn't make a difference. The fact the game has this 'several layers' system does make rendering slower than in Sims 1, 2 and 4, but that's tenths of seconds. Loading CC takes more time. The only time there are naked sims running around in my game is at a University party by the way.
    I was responding to a repeated theme that people have stated on the forum that they have to see there sims going to work/school/bar/etc. or it brakes the immersion of the game. So this was not directed at you or anyone else that have not made that there argument. So completely understand why you did not follow the statement.
    I'm one of those people. So?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I would love if somehow they could add open world in an ep. So people with lower spec computers and laptops could just not get that ep. I just want more control on my sims. When one is at home and the other traveled somewhere else. Then they arrive home like nothing ever happened.
    Windenburg is much more open than Oasis Springs and Willow Creek by the way. What's that like for San Myshuno?

Ugh, Windenburg. I got that bug in a lot there where my sims walk to their way to work/school, and they are now never teleporting in time because for some reason they keep walking in the huge open world part for a very long distance and time, and now my sims are all late for work/school, and even take a long time to walk back to home.

Flashbacks to my bad memories of my (usually Mermaid) sims taking forever to route/travel anywhere in Isla Paradiso, lol.

Gosh, the company can't even program-route sims in a small-ish open world in this game....
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I would love if somehow they could add open world in an ep. So people with lower spec computers and laptops could just not get that ep. I just want more control on my sims. When one is at home and the other traveled somewhere else. Then they arrive home like nothing ever happened.
    Windenburg is much more open than Oasis Springs and Willow Creek by the way. What's that like for San Myshuno?

Ugh, Windenburg. I got that bug in a lot there where my sims walk to their way to work/school, and they are now never teleporting in time because for some reason they keep walking in the huge open world part for a very long distance and time, and now my sims are all late for work/school, and even take a long time to walk back to home.

Flashbacks to my bad memories of my (usually Mermaid) sims taking forever to route/travel anywhere in Isla Paradiso, lol.

Gosh, the company can't even program-route sims in a small-ish open world in this game....
    That's a bug :o That's happening to me as well and I just thought 'girl take a car or a bike' :D Travelling in fact takes more time than it does in Sims 3 sometimes. Will repair game help?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2017

That's a bug :o That's happening to me as well and I just thought 'girl take a car or a bike' :D Travelling in fact takes more time than it does in Sims 3 sometimes. Will repair game help?

Yeah, I know, right? Might as well take a car/bike if it takes so long, lol. :lol:

Yeah, I tried repairing the game, and even tried creating a fresh new
    Sims 4 folder. It is still happening, and I have also have the bug happening to a different family in another neighborhood/"world" as well.

I think it may be connected to the toddlers patch, because this never happened to this family traveling to school/work before the patch.

I still love toddlers patched it, of course. I just need another patch to help fix the various bugs issues.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)