Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Runaway or homeless shelter?

Has anyone come across a good lot that would work for either?
I was thinking of making a community lot for this, kind of like the fire station (am I the only one who never plays that career cause its too broken?) but then I was thinking maybe make it a residential lot, so I could have "staff" there.

Now that I put more thought into it, maybe I should try and come up with some kind of challenge for myself related to running one of these type of places. Anyone else ever try something like this?

Comments

• jordandjordand Posts: 262 Member
    Following
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    SimKeats wrote: »
    Has anyone come across a good lot that would work for either?
    I was thinking of making a community lot for this, kind of like the fire station (am I the only one who never plays that career cause its too broken?) but then I was thinking maybe make it a residential lot, so I could have "staff" there.

Now that I put more thought into it, maybe I should try and come up with some kind of challenge for myself related to running one of these type of places. Anyone else ever try something like this?

I haven't found a build like that, but I don't play homeless/runaway sims too often. Though if you do create a challenge such as you describe, share here. I'd love to try it, too! :)
    p8L4V6v.png
  • SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I'm thinking an orphanage for unusual sims might be more interesting than a runaway shelter, it would certainly have longer term, and more unusual residents, and maybe fit into more towns I might play.

For a homeless shelter I was thinking mabe base camp would work but then I thought it would mostly be tourists. Apartment lot type maybe, not too sure.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Just commented on how to add sims to a community lot using mods over here. It's got some drawbacks, but if the household is to be inactive it can work well in some situations.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15411507/#Comment_15411507
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    Yeah, I looked over that. Was considering having two buildings next to eachother as a homeless shelter. One would be like a day time community center, and a smaller building that would be like a dorm/barracks with maybe a small room/office for a social worker type.
    I think that would probably work best for starting off brand new sims. It certainly would feel more organic than having a sim spend a ton of time somewhere like the fire station. I may in fact use the lot I had the fire station on as part of this.

I think if I was going to do a story or challenge revolving around a shelter I would probably be better off using a large residential lot though I imagine?
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    SimKeats wrote: »
    I think if I was going to do a story or challenge revolving around a shelter I would probably be better off using a large residential lot though I imagine?
    It all really should work either way, but the large res lot option would be easier and there wouldn't be any unexpected, "Oh I can't do this on a commercial lot" types of surprises.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • AlexPazAlexPaz Posts: 143 Member
    I suppose you could just turn the fire station into a residential lot? Add beds bathrooms etc, you could then just create two staff member ( or more up to you ) and just move in homeless sims as you please, there is mods for adding more than 8 sims in a household. I'm not sure if this helps since I haven't played the sims 3 in a while and might be totally unhelpful but do find this idea very interesting :)
    Ohh yea, you gotta get schwifty
    33y1gk1.jpg
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I use a Mod to lift build and buy restrictions on community lots along with having experinence playing with homeless sims who lived on a community lot.I would just be very careful about how the lot got set up before moving them in.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    I would make it a base camp I suppose, or a hangout if you do not have WA.
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    In my game, other than in WA worlds, base camps attract a lot of homeless sims.
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    Don't know if this will help you decide how you want to go about it, but in my town we have 2 "main" homeless centres. The first is only open during the day, and serves as a food bank during the first half, and then serves a dinner meal.

The second is the shelter itself. Its located close by, but is a seperate building. It contains the actual beds, and maybe showers/kitchen equipment? I've never been inside. Its an incredibly small building though so I imagine everything is cramped.

There's also men and women's transitional housing, but that's a bit different than homelessness.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!