Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CM's Architecture Thread - Thornton Cottage (pg 8) & a homeless home (pg 9)

Comments

• aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    This is glorious!! I love them! Ohemgee, I'm going to have a hay day trying to pronounce the name in my voiceovers! :lol:

I've already got so many ideas, i dont even kniw where to start! I may make a couple videos and do a unit on each level since they're all different! And I love that you put a bistro on the bottom.

Thank you so much for doing this! :heart:
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @aricarai <3 I can't wait to see what you do with it! I'd love to see one of each unit done!!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,520 Member
    The exterior design of the apartment building looks very nice! :) Very nice layout of the levels of the interior!
    The build looks great!
    @rosemow Thank you! It was certainly fun to build :)
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited August 2017
    I really like that shell! If I wasn't busy working on redesigning DV with you, I might play with it. It would go really well in Moonlight Falls. I don't really know how to use the apartment marker, or how it works, but this makes it worth trying to figure out.

Downloaded and rec'd! :)
    @MiaSkywalker Thank you! :)
    edited September 2017
    A Man's Home Is His Castle...

And sometimes, a man's castle is his home! Stonetroll Keep offers everything the little medieval family could want! Generous great hall, three bedroom suites, and guaranteed to be the envy of all the surrounding peasants. There is plenty of growth potential, nooks and niches to add hobby or skill items, and of course you can always go down with more cellar space. Add a nectary, or even a dungeon!

For BuildnShare challenge 194: the Hawthorne Project, but will probably also end up in the Dragon Valley Medieval Makeover!

The budget was 45,000, and if you're wondering how I got SO MANY WALLS into that budget, I totally cheated on an epic scale: there are actually very, very few walls in this build. The majority of the 'walls' are actually foundation/frieze placements! It was a pain to build a 5-story building using only this method, but the result was an awesome castle with nice, thick walls, and done very cheaply!

Overviews
    1-overhead-1.jpg
    1-overhead-2.jpg
    1-overhead-3.jpg
    1-overhead-3b.jpg
    1-overhead-4.jpg
    1-overhead-4b.jpg
    1-overhead-5.jpg
    1-overhead-5b.jpg
    1-overhead-6.jpg
    1-overhead-6b.jpg

Exterior shots
    2-exterior-1.jpg
    2-exterior-2.jpg
    2-exterior-3.jpg
    2-exterior-4.jpg
    2-exterior-4b.jpg
    2-exterior-5.jpg
    2-exterior-6.jpg
    2-exterior-7.jpg
    2-exterior-9.jpg
    2-exterior-10.jpg

Cellars:
    Kitchen
    11-kitchen-4.jpg
    11-kitchen-5.jpg
    11-kitchen-6.jpg
    11-kitchen-7.jpg
    11-kitchen-8.jpg

Kitchen garden
    11-kitchen-2.jpg
    11-kitchen-1.jpg
    11-kitchen-3.jpg
    11-kitchen-9.jpg

Cellar
    11-cellar-1.jpg
    11-cellar-2.jpg
    11-cellar-3.jpg

Main floor:
    Great Hall
    3-great-hall-1.jpg
    3-great-hall-2.jpg
    3-great-hall-3.jpg
    3-great-hall-5.jpg
    3-great-hall-6.jpg
    3-great-hall-7.jpg
    3-great-hall-8.jpg
    3-great-hall-9.jpg

Treasury
    3-main-treasure-1.jpg
    3-main-treasure-2.jpg
    3-main-treasure-3.jpg

Entry
    3-main-floor-10.jpg
    3-main-floor-11.jpg

Water closet
    3-main-floor-12.jpg

Mezzanine:
    Gallery library
    4-gallery-3.jpg
    4-gallery-4.jpg
    4-gallery-5.jpg
    4-gallery-6.jpg

Gallery
    4-gallery-1.jpg
    4-gallery-2.jpg

Kids' rooms
    Piper
    5-pipers-room-1.jpg
    5-pipers-room-2.jpg
    5-pipers-room-3.jpg
    5-pipers-room-4.jpg
    5-pipers-room-5.jpg

Hamish
    6-hamishs-room-1.jpg
    6-hamishs-room-2.jpg
    6-hamishs-room-3.jpg
    6-hamishs-room-4.jpg

Kids' bath
    4-gallery-bath.jpg

Top floor:
    Master suite
    7-master-bed-2.jpg
    7-master-bed-1.jpg
    7-master-bed-4.jpg
    7-master-bed-5.jpg
    7-master-bed-6.jpg
    7-master-bed-7.jpg

Master dressing rm and bath
    9-bath-dressing-1.jpg
    9-bath-dressing-2.jpg
    9-bath-dressing-3.jpg
    9-bath-dressing-4.jpg

Private study
    8-study-1.jpg
    8-study-2.jpg

Roof:
    Ramparts
    12-roof-1.jpg
    12-roof-2.jpg
    12-roof-3.jpg

The Davies' at home
    13-davies-family-12.jpg
    13-davies-family-3.jpg
    13-davies-family-4.jpg
    13-davies-family-13.jpg
    13-davies-family-9.jpg
    13-davies-family-11.jpg
    13-davies-family-10.jpg
    13-davies-family-1.jpg
    13-davies-family-2.jpg
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
    The exterior design of Stonetroll Keep and the layout of the interior looks so very great! :) It is a very nice castle build! Each of the levels of the castle, and the design of the exterior look great! It is great that there are five levels to the castle. The textures of the exterior and interior walls give a great look and feel to the build! Very nice furnishing that suits the medieval castle theme so very well! The windows used look great. The flowers look very nice around the edges of the castle. Very nice kitchen garden! Sims will enjoy growing plants there to use when cooking meals. Very nice design of the bedrooms! The wall patterns /panelling give a very nice look to the rooms.
    It is a great and well designed, built and furnished castle home! :)
    @rosemow Thank you kindly! This was a joy to build and the family was very fun to design as well!
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,260 Member

Stonetroll Keep is such a great build. I love how well you thought out each of the areas and there are some really cool touches. The master suite is my fav room and I also really like the kitchen with that neat fireplace stove. Well done :smiley:
    @soocoolsim thank you! I love doing period builds :) Will make a few little changes and upload ... eventually. Out of state at the moment! :o
    Eternal Rest Memorial Park, created for the BuildnShare challenge. What a wonderful, unique prompt! I loved making this a truly beautiful place.

1-cemetery-overall.jpg

Exterior shots and landscaping, broken up because lots of pictures
    2-cemetery-exterior-1.jpg
    2-cemetery-exterior-2.jpg
    2-cemetery-exterior-3.jpg
    2-cemetery-exterior-4.jpg
    2-cemetery-exterior-5.jpg
    2-cemetery-exterior-6.jpg
    2-exterior-entry-1.jpg
    2-exterior-entry-2.jpg
    2-exterior-entry-3.jpg
    2-exterior-entry-4.jpg
    2-exterior-entry-5.jpg
    2-exterior-entry-7.jpg
    3-cemetery-landscape-2.jpg
    3-exterior-landscape-1.jpg
    Pond with deathfish
    3-exterior-landscape-2.jpg
    3-exterior-landscape-3.jpg
    3-exterior-landscape-4.jpg
    3-exterior-landscape-5.jpg
    3-exterior-landscape-6.jpg
    3-exterior-landscape-7.jpg
    3-exterior-landscape.jpg

The Graves
    3-graves-1.jpg
    3-graves-2.jpg
    3-graves-3.jpg

The Mausoleum
    4-mausoleum-1.jpg
    4-mausoleum-2.jpg
    4-mausoleum-3.jpg
    4-mausoleum-4.jpg
    4-mausoleum-5.jpg
    4-mausoleum-6.jpg
    4-mausoleum-7.jpg

Old Church/New Cottage
    5-cottage.jpg
    5-exterior-church-cottage-1.jpg
    5-exterior-church-cottage-2.jpg
    Upstairs
    6-church-overall-1.jpg
    Main Floor
    6-church-overall-2.jpg
    Basement
    6-church-overall-3.jpg

Inside
    Large window seat and a warm fireplace make the space inviting
    6-1-living-rm-1.jpg
    6-1-living-rm-2.jpg
    6-1-living-rm-3.jpg
    cozy office area
    6-2-study.jpg
    6-2-study-2.jpg
    Ample kitchen for one, plus plenty of space for dog bowls
    6-4-kitchen-1.jpg
    6-4-kitchen-2.jpg
    6-4-kitchen-6.jpg
    6-4-kitchen-7.jpg
    6-4-kitchen-8.jpg
    Hall and Stairs
    6-5-hall.jpg
    6-5-stair.jpg
    Bath
    6-6-bath-1.jpg
    6-6-bath-2.jpg
    6-6-bath-3.jpg

Upstairs
    Room for everyone
    6-7-upstairs-hall-3.jpg
    6-7-upstairs-hall-4.jpg
    6-8-bedroom-1.jpg
    6-8-bedroom-2.jpg
    6-8-bedroom-3.jpg
    6-8-bedroom-4.jpg
    Basement
    A place for work and play
    6-9-basement-1.jpg
    6-9-basement-2.jpg
    6-9-basement-3.jpg

The Catacombs
    7-catacomb-1.jpg
    7-catacomb-2.jpg
    7-catacomb-3.jpg
    7-catacomb-4.jpg
    7-catacomb-5.jpg
    7-catacomb-6.jpg
    7-catacomb-7.jpg
    7-catacomb-8.jpg
    7-catacomb-9.jpg
    7-catacomb-10.jpg

Night Pictures
    8-cemetery-night-1.jpg
    8-cemetery-night-3.jpg
    8-cemetery-night-4.jpg
    8-cemetery-night-5.jpg
    8-cemetery-night-6.jpg

The Household
    Erisa
    erisa-1.jpg
    Lady and her two boys, Cerberus and Dante
    10-the-pups.jpg

Lady
    10-lady.jpg
    Cerberus
    10-cerberus.jpg
    Dante
    10-dante.jpg

Erisa and Lady
    erisa-and-lady.jpg

Time for a bite
    9-mealtime.jpg

Erisa is clearing the cave-in in the catacombs. What will she find??
    erisa-work-1.jpg
    erisa-work-2.jpg

Bedtime at last
    9-bedtime-1.jpg
    9-bedtime-2.jpg
    9-bedtime-3.jpg
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    For some reason, none of the pics in spoilers are showing for me. I am on Chrome right now.
    Weird, using same host as last several builds...
    Eternal Rest Memorial Park looks so very nice! :) It looks a very calming and restful place for sims to come to and remember their family members and friends that have passed away, The outdoors areas are designed so very well! It looks very nice how the graves are set out, and the flowers, trees and plants look very nice in the various outdoors areas. Very nice reflection pool with water fountains. The lilypads pond with death fish looks very peaceful. Very nice design of the mauselouem ! The white brick wall textures and the white flooring gives a nice look to the interior. The flowers look pretty around the base of the tree in the building. Very nice Church themed exterior design of the cottage where the sim and dogs live! The roofing and towers look great! Very nice layout and furnishing of each level of the home.
    It is a very special memorial /graveyard build <3
    Pics are showing for me today. :) I love the pond in the back! Really nice use of original headstones and urns! Love the windows you choose and that gray brick. The dogs are perfect! Love them! <3 Love the skeletons too.
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    Oh, what an awesome place! Particularly love the touch of the catacombs. And I'm assuming - because of her using the pick on the rubble - that you have a few hidden surprises? :)

I really love A Man's Home is his Castle! I can't believe you made that so cheap! Using foundations? Wow, I have no idea how you can do that!

Your use of fog emitters to have special effects (like the fires) is VERY cool. I don't tend to think about putting special effects in places, but it can really make a build more interesting!
    @MiaSkywalker Thank you dear! Hopefully we are not looking at my last builds! Still trying to fix the plum game :(

I still owe you the tutorial on how to make that castle, but again, game issues... le sigh.

@ciane and @rosemow thank you both for your lovely comments! And yes, too much fun with skeletons. I had to make it a *little* creepy after all ;)
    edited October 2017

Post edited by creativemetaphor on
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @creativemetaphor Your graveyard is awesome. What a great idea to rehab a church into the keepers house!

I love the walk way you made from the entrance to the mausoleum and the plaques are a nice touch :)
    @kgaff thank you! I love doing these challenges, they're so inspiring :)
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,260 Member

Very cool lot indeed. I too love the idea of the repurposed church. And those catacombs... scary place indeed. Is the skeleton CC? Well done on this build :smiley:
    @soocoolsim nope, skeleton is buydebug item. I don't use any CC, mostly cause I can barely get regular game items to work :D I love how these challenges push me in ways I wouldn't have thought of otherwise.
    The Inside Out was designed for the bass player of a rock group Four Sisters of the Apocalypse. She wanted a home that wasn't super modern but wasn't too frilly, either, in earth-tones, with a pool in the back yard.

I went a bit further and decided she also hated to have to tend a yard with mowing or weeding, so the entire back yard is either rock, wood, or water, with the plants being carefully contained in a few planters, and some water plants in the shallow pond which flows into the pool and acts as a natural filter.

Inside, the home features an open living area with a futon-inspired sofa, a low coffee table, and lots of pillows for maximum comfort around the fireplace. There is also a two-story bay of windows with window seats. The kitchen has the usual appliances, plus a dish washer and coffee maker. The dining area has a table for four beside a 'green wall' where an indoor plant that has grown quite all over the shelves there. Also on the main floor is a powder room just off the entry hall and next to the stairs.

Upstairs has the main bedroom and en suite, plus a large loft rec room - the one space where she can not worry about keeping things in order. Here she can chill and watch tv, do aerobics, play her bass, or work on business stuff, all while enjoying the natural light and view of her back yard. If she ever needs it, this area can be framed in to become a future guest bed and bath.

The master suite also has a view overlooking the back yard, with curtains for privacy when required, creating a cozy bay window. Cushions and pillows soften the edges of the master bedroom. A glass-enclosed shower with built-in seat, stone floor, and toilet room offer a sense of indulgence in the en suite.

The back yard uses three levels to separate the spaces. The main deck off the kitchen has an outdoor shower, training dummy, and yoga mat for exercising in the fresh air. The raised deck juts over the pond below and has seating for four, next to a juice bar. The ground level has a fire pit and grill. There is also a partially curtained lounge area surrounded by the pool, offering seclusion and relaxation to anyone willing to get wet to get there.

All in all, the Inside Out offers plenty of natural materials and outdoor living options for the down-to-earth homeowner who loves to entertain small, intimate groups.

Overhead views
    Full lot
    1-overhead-1.jpg
    Main floor
    1-overhead-2.jpg
    Upper Floor
    1-overhead-3.jpg

Exterior views
    2-exterior-1.jpg
    2-exterior-2.jpg
    2-exterior-3.jpg
    2-exterior-4.jpg
    2-exterior-5.jpg
    2-exterior-6.jpg

Entry and Powder Rm
    Entry
    3-entry-1.jpg
    3-entry-2.jpg
    3-entry-3.jpg
    3-entry-4.jpg
    Powder
    4-powder-1.jpg
    4-powder-2.jpg
    Living
    5-living-1.jpg
    5-living-2.jpg
    5-living-3.jpg
    5-living-5.jpg
    5-living-6.jpg
    5-living-7.jpg

Kitchen and Dining
    6-kitchen-1.jpg
    6-kitchen-2.jpg
    6-kitchen-3.jpg
    6-kitchen-4.jpg

Upstairs
    Loft/Rec Rm
    7-loft-1.jpg
    7-loft-2.jpg
    7-loft-3.jpg
    7-loft-4.jpg
    7-loft-5.jpg
    7-loft-6.jpg

Master Suite
    Bedroom
    8-bed-1.jpg
    8-bed-2.jpg
    8-bed-3.jpg
    Bathroom
    9-bath-1.jpg
    9-bath-2.jpg
    9-bath-3.jpg
    9-bath-4.jpg

Outdoors
    10-deck-pool-1.jpg
    10-deck-pool-2.jpg
    10-deck-pool-3.jpg
    10-deck-pool-4.jpg
    10-deck-pool-5.jpg
    10-deck-pool-6.jpg
    10-deck-pool-7.jpg
    10-deck-pool-8.jpg
    10-deck-pool-9.jpg
    edited November 2017
    Too weird! When I opened this in a new tab from the BnS thread, I could NOT see any of the pics AND I was logged out!!!
    I went to FireFox, as I was on Chrome, and I couldn't see the pics that way (logged out) either!
    So... my best guess is that anyone lurking and not logged in can NOT see pics in a spoiler. Please let me know if you can confirm or deny that. Nope, I came back to Firefox later and the pics were there then. Weird!

When I exited the BnS thread to the Builders forum and then entered your thread, logged in, I could then see the pics. It is amazing how things load some times and not other times!

Anyway, what I like most is the landscaping. And, you did squeeze a lot in for the budget.
    Post edited by ciane on