Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CM's Architecture Thread - Thornton Cottage (pg 8) & a homeless home (pg 9)

Comments

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    edited May 2018
    @MiaSkywalker Oh dear... I've a feeling that you hate my favorite version! :lol:

I have a tendency to love the first version of something I see/hear the best (provided I like it at all.) The 1980's BBC Pride and Prejudice was my first introduction to Jane Austen and it will always hold the dearest place in my heart because of it.

But Persuasion is my favorite Austen story.

Oh, and the exterior shots were the brother's house, but the latest interiors are a different house entirely because ... um... because? :innocent:
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    Oh, then you MUST see the Colin Firth version. If you've read the book and have it memorized like I do, that's the version that's hands down the most true to it. And, of course, Colin Firth. He was still pretty young when that version was made, and I developed a big crush on him from that point on.

I love Persuasion! One year for my birthday, my sister surprised me with tickets to see Persuasion in a live play. While it couldn't follow the book exactly (being as it was only two and a half hours, by live actors), the actors were really good, and I enjoyed it immensely.

I listen to the books on audio book at least once a month. I go through them in alphabetical order on my iPod, because that's how they're sorted. :)

I don't think I have a specific favorite, though. I even love Emma, although my sister hates the main character. I think I read that Persuasion was released posthumously for Austen. I also think that Northanger Abbey was, even though it was the first book she wrote. Btw, if you want humor, and if you've never read it, read Northanger Abbey. It's probably the most humorous book Austen wrote. The hero of the book is a very snarky kind of fellow, and I always laugh at his comments.

Hm.. then I suppose I will get to see what build those interiors were for at a later date, eh? I know you'll share them, and I can't wait to download. :)
    edited May 2018
    @aricarai I have seen the Colin Firth version. Imo they both are equally true to the book but in different ways. One scene may be better in one and another scene better in the other. I would hope you could give the other a second chance.
    I think NA is the only one I haven't read, but have seen the movie version.

I LOVE Gwynneth Paltrow's Emma <3
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
    You tagged the wrong person, CM. :)

Nahhh, I'm not going to bother. Ever since I forced myself to watch the first half of THX 1138, I've decided that if a movie bores me to tears or irritates me too much within the first 10 or 15 minutes, that's it, I'm done. I'm not going to waste my time watching something that I will want to erase from my memory later.

I've still on occasion been forced to watch movies that I felt were a complete waste of time, generally because I was with other people and couldn't leave. "Used People" was one. "The Ladykillers" - which is probably the only really horrible Tom Hanks movie out there - is another. (Although I was happy - sort of - at the end of the latter. I disliked all of the characters so much that I wanted them all to die, which they did right before the end of the movie. Including Tom Hanks' character, who was the worst of the lot. Huzzah!) I dislike George Clooney to this day because the first movie I saw him in was this really awful Dixie thing where he was so annoying that I wanted him to die the entire time I watched it. Really, it was that bad.

I will NOT waste my time on something that annoys me if I can at all avoid it, and the fact that they had Charlotte Lucas make a statement that was completely out of character for her (it wouldn't have been out of character for Elizabeth, but it WAS for Charlotte) within the first few minutes, that irritated the heck out of me.

My life is too short to waste on things that are a waste of time. Being annoyed or irritated because of a movie is worse than a waste of time for me. I've never been fully able to wash that horrible monstrosity of THX 1138 out of my head, and I don't want something else as bad using up real estate in my memories. :)

That said, there are several movie/TV versions of each of those books that I really like, just not that particular one. :) Haven't seen the Gwynneth Paltrow's Emma - I haven't seen ANY movie or TV version of Emma, for that matter - but I may look around for it. I like her, and I like that book, so it would be worth watching.

One thing you have to consider is that I do NOT watch television at all. I rarely go to movies, and I only watch things on DVD or Netflix when I'm with friends. That makes me want to be a bit pickier about what I watch, because I just don't watch many things, and there are a lot of really GOOD things out there to watch. (Lately I've been watching Versailles with my best friend. Excellent series! Although an awful lot of gratuitous nudity in it...)
    @MiaSkywalker :confounded: dernit, sorry about that! Should know better than to try to post when falling asleep.

I understand about not wanting to watch a movie you don't enjoy, I didn't mean to sound pushy, just thought it might be something you'd give another chance to but no worries that you don't. I still can't be bothered to finish The Hobbit movies. *ugh* I don't have TV either, just netflix and DVDs and such :)

edited May 2018
    That terrifying moment when you've been play testing and suddenly realize you have a "stuff taken" modlet but you can't find anything missing!!!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    That terrifying moment when you've been play testing and suddenly realize you have a "stuff taken" modlet but you can't find anything missing!!!

Hello
    I hope that you are able to work out what the missing item or items are!
    Hm... that IS disturbing. I hope you figure out what it is! (Although it's probably something silly, like a flower.)
    edited May 2018
    :lol: yep! That's exactly what it was! One single plant decor item! Phew. So the second cottage is now finished, fully upgraded, play tested, and ready to go! Once I settle on a name it should go on the exchange tonight :)

It is a one bed cottage with separate toilet and bath, library with secret entrance to a basement alchemical lab and wine press, and extensive gardens. Can't wait!
    That sounds like a perfect starter home for the type of Sims that I play. I don't often bother with starter homes, but this sounds like it would make me very happy. :)
    @MiaSkywalker ...eerr.... yeeaaahhhh... it's clocking in around 80k in cost right now so... a very, very loose use of the term 'starter' ;)
    LOL! Well, you know me - I use free real estate to pop any Sim that I'm starting into a good home.

Sounds like it's at least relatively small. I don't like starting a new Sim on a huge lot; it just gets hard to keep track of things. You've got a lot of things I like, though; nectar and alchemy, don't all Sims need those? ;)
    edited May 2018
    @MiaSkywalker :lol: exactly! These are just the basic needs being met ;) and of course nectar and alchemy both need lots of garden to support their endeavors...
    The lot is only 20x20, and the build takes up a corner with gardens/landscape being the rest. I even hid auto-water sprinklers to keep everything green without being obvious.

The cottage itself is two floors plus a basement. There is a tricksy place where you might lose a sim, but overall it shouldn't be too bad :mrgreen:
    Btw, is this the build that was for the brother? I really liked the outside of that one, so I can't wait to see what all you've done with the inside. :)
    @MiaSkywalker No, but that one is still in work and will be finished next. This one was inspired by the Fairy Tale theme from @BuildnShare but obviously far outside of the budget constraints ;)

But here it is: Archimedes Workshop exchange link and pictures

Medieval fantasy styled 1 bed cottage with extensive gardens - vegetables, herbs, and mushrooms, bee boxes, and more. There is a secret basement with alchemy bench, gem cutter, and nectar press, if your sim can find it. Comes in at around 80k. Fully upgraded to unbreakable/fireproof.

archimedes.jpg
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,260 Member

Love Archimedes Workshop! So full of charm and character and beautifully landscaped. Well done! Rec’d :D
    The exterior design and the layout of Archimedes Workshop and the outdoors areas looks very pretty! :) It looks very fairytaleish! The roofing and tower are very nice! The flowers and plants through the outdoors areas look so very pretty how you have placed them! The wishing well and statue are nice touches. Very nice fenced off harvestable garden nook. Sims will enjoy harvesting the plants and fruit trees to use when making the nectar. Very nice furnishing of the interior! It looks nice , warm and homely. The wall and floor textures give a very nice look and feel to the home. It is great that there is a basement level where sims can enjoy making nectar and create alchemy elixirs. Very nice fireplace armchairs sitting area. The bookcases look very nice placed either sides of the fireplace, and the teaset is a nice touch on the table between the chairs. Sims will enjoy sitting resting there chatting in front of the fire. The design of the kitchen is great!
    It is a very nice fairytale cottage! :)
    Oh my goodness, that is absolutely darling! This is going in my favorites, for sure! <3

I love absolutely everything about it, from the way you put furnishings in nooks, to the wattle on the walls. I love how you even use pieces that a lot of people avoid - like the dining table and chairs - but they go so perfectly, that you know this was the kind of thing that the creators had in mind.

It looks so cozy and comfy for a single Sim or a couple without children. Now we just have to convince our Sims not to walk off with the piano. ;)
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Nice way to split up the gardens and great use of the rounded castle piece! It has outstanding curb appeal.
    @soocoolsim Thank you! It was so fun to build, I'm glad you like it :)

@rosemow Thank you so much for your beautiful remarks! Glad you like it!

@MiaSkywalker :lol: Yeah, it's a shame there's no way to anchor the piano and make it not portable but ah well... I'm so glad you like it, maybe we'll get treated to some pictures of your sim living in it? (and do people avoid that table? That's a shame, I love it lol)

@ciane It was a little tricky to use those tower pieces as the sim didn't want to use the stairs at first. I had to scoot them out just a hair to make that work. I am really happy with the gardens, especially since landscaping is my weak suit :)
    edited May 2018
    Yeah, those tower pieces are tricky to work with. The stairs will also count as being outside, since the tower pieces are technically columns and not walls. I really like how it looks with the stairs inside the tower. I had tried that once and got routing errors, and I don't know that I ever got around that in that particular build. (I think I ended up going with ladders instead, which unfortunately means cats can't climb up or down them.)

It might be a while. I've downloaded it and it's waiting install, but right now I'm playing in LP. I've never played LP for any real length of time before, so it's kind of interesting. (I've even downloaded a bunch of 50s style builds for the place, and that's totally not my style.) I'm not even playing my usual self-Sim, but that crazy hobo that I like to play on occasion. (I give him every negative trait in the game, and watch him go. Did you know that if you overwhelm a Sim with every negative trait, they start to become positives? He actually gets daredevil wishes, even though he is - among other things - an unlucky loser coward that hates kids, the outdoors, and art. When he wins or gets promoted at ANYTHING, he gets a buff that normal Sims don't.)

Next game I'm in C d'A or DV, I'll be using this house, though. It's gorgeous and darling and I love it! :heart:

Oh, and for a weak suit, that garden is wonderful! Weak suit indeed. ;)
    Post edited by MiaSkywalker on
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    Archimedes Workshop is gorgeous!! I love the entire build. It really feels old world and the gardens are just perfect.

I tried to use the tower pieces once, remember when we did the build exchange and I made the castle. When I used them, sims would just walk right through them as if they weren't there and I had to put interior walls in. How did you manage to make it work without walls?

@kgaff well, the stairwell is entirely enclosed by walls on the *inside* so the house is entirely enclosed. There is also only the stair there, so ti's not like the Sim could go anywhere if it tried walking through that part anyway, so my use of them sort of corrects the problem by default. The only problem I did have was the routing issue which I corrected by just *slightly* moving the curved pieces out away from the stair. :)

@MiaSkywalker ... usually my weak suit. Doesn't mean I can't nail it once in a while. ;)
    Over in @aricarai's little pixel place, she takes the viewer on a humorous video walk down nostalgia lane. Pulling an old, old, old build up from the cobwebs of time, she first gives some hilarious critique of her old work, and then instead of actually 'renovating' it, she scraps the build entirely and builds a brand new house.

While that house is magnificent, I thought I would take a stab at actually renovating her old build. It was a starter placed on a 25x25 lot, and at first I thought I would try to stick to a starter budget and so rather than placing her build I recreated it on a smaller 20x20 lot to save a bit on cost.

Of course, about 5 minutes into furnishing the build I decided to scrap the budget entirely and went wild, but the heart of the build is still the little bungalow that aricarai created.

I hope you (and she!) enjoy my fresh take on it!

Life's A Beach photo album
    Exchange Link

Life’s a Beach is a very nice home! :) Your renovation of Aricarai’s home looks great! You have kept her home and added your special creativeness and features to it! Nice ourdoors dining, bar and art nook on the deck. Sims will enjoy cooking meals on the grill, having a drink from the bar and enjoy painting on the easel in the sunshine. It looks a very calming, resttful and peaceful home. The blue and white colour scheme of the interior gives a very nice look and feel to the home. Very nice beach themed furnishing of the home! The beach themed furnishings used look very great! The texture of the walls looks great and suits well the beach theme. It is great that there is a basement sitting room. Sims will enjoy resting there watching tv or keep fit using the treadmill. Very nice open plan living, dining and kitchen areas. The wicker type dining seats and stools are nice for sims to sit on when dining. The type of curtains used look very nice.
    It is a very nice beach themed, renovated home! :)