Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I love genetics!

Comments

• Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    HillyBeth wrote: »
    Also, the way your sim's eyes looks reminds me of some of the townies our game generates. Not my cup of tea. No offense.
    But that's exactly what I meant. For example, your guys look like they are fifteen or so to me, and the huge eyes you gave them are part of that. It's a completely different design goal.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited June 2020
    @HillyBeth I think you are missing Turjan's point. Turjan's sims are truer to the look of EA sims with the use of a very basic skin and no makeup. I am quite sure that given the treatment you give your sims - same skin, same makeup, etc. - the eyes that you don't like the look of would look quite different.
  • Options
    LOL @Turjan! Although our posts are two minutes apart, I was typing my comment while you were posting! :D
  • Options
    @Mikezumi Yep, we just met for posting :smiley: . Huge eyes are one of my pet peeves, and the only reason I mentioned it was to just point to the fact everyone goes for their very own look in the end. I like to mix sims made by others - sometimes with minor tweaks - into my game, so I have a bit of variety.

Of course, the sliders of the eyes in my example pic are no presets, just to make that clear.
  • Options
    @Turjan Large eyes is something you would never see in my sims! It's great that the customization of sims is versatile because, at the end of the day, it's all about personal taste.

I don't care if people use CC or not or, like you, just use minimal CC. I am interested in the genetics of sims generally. The rest is just "dressing".
  • Options
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    I don't care if people use CC or not or, like you, just use minimal CC. I am interested in the genetics of sims generally. The rest is just "dressing".
    Yes, and unlike you, I even let the "ugly ones" reproduce :lol: . I'm just curious regarding the outcome, and with the new genetics mod, you can probably get some surprising results with the right pairings. I just have to sort my SV out - again.

Of course, I use some basic cc. That's even true of those eyes in my example pic, which are definitely not vanilla ones. I just went with something less ornate and shiny. As for the face bone structure, that's not a zero slider or a preset, either. The changes are a bit more subtle though, as that guy didn't really look good (in my personal view, obviously :smiley: ) with his cheek bones most of the way up. No special unlocks though, except for your mouth height slider, which doesn't apply, as it's a YA.
  • Options
    @Turjan I got a good laugh at your comment about letting the ugly ones breed :D It's true that in my active household I am very particular about who carries on as heir. Normally I would fill the town with my own sims so there are not normally "ugly" sims breeding in my game but for this particular save I am playing SV sims in their original state. Not that I am actively playing them but I am not deciding who breeds with who or changing the kids born in the town. I have changed one townie so far and that was Malcolm Landgraab. The only reason I changed him was because he is in a relationship with the first born grandchild. If he is to be part of my Porter transfer when I move the family when the save gets sluggish, he couldn't go in his natural state.

I thought I had taken a pic of him when I gave him his makeover but it would seem I didn't bother. I will be sure to locate him in the near future so you can see what I have done with him.
  • Options
    @Mikezumi Oh yes, I'd like to see that. I have pretty much all SV townies made over, including Malcolm, but I probably already posted a pic of him somewhere.

Just to add, so @HillyBeth doesn't get the impression that this is some two vs. one mud wrestling in this thread: As far as I know, Mikezumi really dislikes it when noses get too close to the mouth, while I often use rather long noses that can go rather far down. Tastes differ :smile: .
  • Options
    @Turjan Very true about noses! I could never play sims with noses like yours but I appreciate that you like them that way and I believe whatever makes us happy is the right choice! :)
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I'm even considering to activate Chester Landgraab (from the SV cemetery) as a family breeder :smiley: . Here is a slight edit of Emily4331's edit of him.
    7tqkPTY.jpg
    I'm sure I shortened the nose though. I don't remember whether the original nose actually hung over the mouth or stopped right on the lips, but I guess even I have my limits in this regard :lol: .

He's certainly not "pretty", but I think he looks interesting.
    Post edited by Turjan on
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    edited June 2020
    @Mikezumi with a little elbow grease- so to speak as I spent an hour making him- here is a witch I made, compared to Carson

Dorian Blackwell(I had him a loooong time ago and remade him from scratch)
    49991492098_b95fbcb02e_o.jpg

Vs

Carson Lowell
    49986203018_c57ef7493c_o.jpg

PS: Dorian's eyebrows are the default replacements you told me about. He also has one of the hairs you gave me, but I gave him this 'man bun' so you can see his face better.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @Turjan Chester definitely looks interesting! If his nose was as long as you say, I imagine my skin would have crawled if I had seen it ;)
    One thing that you might not be able to see is that he has green facial hair. Looking forward to seeing how he blends with others in your game :)
    I have noticed with the SV townies since installing the genetics mod is that it seems to improve the look of the kids regardless of how ugly the parents are. I am not saying they are good looking but that it seems to soften the uglier features from the parents.

@HillyBeth The smaller eyes look much better but, although they are smaller, the eye shape itself is not so different to your other sims. I personally don't care for wide open eyes, especially on males. I have always thought a male with a narrower eye was much sexier.
    A good way to get out of your comfort zone when making sims is to try to use features based on real life people. It's one of the reasons I like to make sims based on celebrities. It's not so much that I am a huge fan of the people I use but that I think their faces are interesting enough to try to replicate. It will also give you a better idea on feature placement/scale.
    Although I have the default replacement eyebrows in my game I mostly use them on inactive sims because they still don't look as good as CC ones.
  • Options
    One thing that you might not be able to see is that he has green facial hair.
    @Mikezumi Oh, thanks for pointing the green beard out. Yes, I didn't even get the idea. I'll set the beard to use the root color then. Or change it to red if I feel adventurous :lol: .
    I have noticed with the SV townies since installing the genetics mod is that it seems to improve the look of the kids regardless of how ugly the parents are. I am not saying they are good looking but that it seems to soften the uglier features from the parents.
    I noticed that, too. I actually remixed quite a few teens in my SV game, and it's a game changer. I didn't really show anything in this thread as the game started misbehaving. I hope this doesn't mean that everyone will gravitate to zero sliders. I guess I should at least avoid too many high cheek/low cheek pairings or similar situations for other sliders. Then again, I let most sims choose themselves. It should take a few generations though for that to become an issue.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @Turjan I knew you had a problem with greens so thought it best to point that out to you. The eyebrows are a nice colour and would probably work well for the facial hair too :)
    I don't think that sims will eventually gravitate towards zero sliders but I think it means the end of extremes being passed down unless both parents share a particularly extreme feature, like both having very large noses or extremely high cheekbones. From what I have seen so far even uneven sliders are being passed down so that looks promising to me :)

Edit to add: One good thing is that game performance doesn't seem to suffer from rolling random genetics so, in theory, one could roll the genes until they got something they were completely happy with. I haven't done that in this save because I am taking whatever is given me where the kids are concerned but I can see myself re-rolling in future saves :)
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @Mikezumi Cool. I'll try to copy the brow color then.

I rerolled random genetics, sometimes 10 times, so yes, it has hardly any performance impact. As I said, I have used it extensively in my SV, like on all the Sekemoto or VanWatson kids. many of the Bunch kids and some of my third generation main family ones, plus several more. I think the issue with "Play with Genetics" is that it needs to pull the parents' portraits every single time you use it, and you can see that it can do that maybe twice before it doesn't manage to do that properly anymore. I'll only use it if I want to look at different pairings in the future.

Post edited by Turjan on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @Turjan Chester definitely looks interesting! If his nose was as long as you say, I imagine my skin would have crawled if I had seen it ;)
    One thing that you might not be able to see is that he has green facial hair. Looking forward to seeing how he blends with others in your game :)

@HillyBeth The smaller eyes look much better but, although they are smaller, the eye shape itself is not so different to your other sims. I personally don't care for wide open eyes, especially on males. I have always thought a male with a narrower eye was much sexier.
    A good way to get out of your comfort zone when making sims is to try to use features based on real life people. It's one of the reasons I like to make sims based on celebrities. It's not so much that I am a huge fan of the people I use but that I think their faces are interesting enough to try to replicate. It will also give you a better idea on feature placement/scale.
    Although I have the default replacement eyebrows in my game I mostly use them on inactive sims because they still don't look as good as CC ones.

I'm not at all good at making sims who are based on real people, unfortunately. Maybe I'll save two base sims (no hair/makeup/clothes) and use them to practice on sometime.
    Edited to add: how do I post side-by-side pics to show comparison instead of one being on top of the other?
    Post edited by HillyBeth on
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
  • Options
    @HillyBeth I only suggested making sims based on real people for you to get a better idea of good feature scale and placement. They don't necessarily have to be "good".
    I use Paint but any photo editing program would be okay to post side by side comparisons.
  • Options
    Louise, the first grandchild in my current save, aged up to YA today. She has been dating Malcolm Landgraab through most of her teens. He aged up to YA the last time I played. I checked their relationship and saw that they had got engaged immediately after Louise aged up :)
    I gave Malcolm an extreme makeover. There's not much left of the original but he is nowhere near as complex as my usual sims.
    49997337242_2bf3750b72_o.jpg
    49996563808_b3cb71778a_o.jpg
  • Options
    Happy birthday to your sims @Mikezumi !!!🥳
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    @mikezumi I never ever ever thought I would say that Malcolm Landgraab is kind of cute. Maybe it's the blue eyes :lol: Louise is obviously still too good for him though haha. Dyson is very handsome :smile:
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Thanks @coco :) I was going for "cute" but simple. If he's going to be breeding with a family member, even if her branch of the family will never be played, I can't have them producing ugly kids! :D

Edit to add: I have seen romance popups about the other teen grandchildren but won't make over their partners until I know for sure that they are serious.
  • Options
    Just loaded my save so I could add Louise and Malcolm to the household for their birthday close-ups and woke Dyson for his :)

49996766993_664633e412_o.jpg
    49997286936_570ba4c202_o.jpg
    49997286906_e3963b19d8_o.jpg
  • Options
    Just loaded my save so I could add Louise and Malcolm to the household for their birthday close-ups and woke Dyson for his :)

49996766993_664633e412_o.jpg
    49997286936_570ba4c202_o.jpg
    49997286906_e3963b19d8_o.jpg

Gorgeous!!
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
  • Options