Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I love genetics!

Comments

• TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    Yes, they still look quite like before I changed him or the children. Not sure where ITF pulls the data from. Of course, I don't really know what else was used to produce those descendants. There were 28 of them, give or take, and I only know who else was used to produce those two families that didn't bear my char's family name. I should probably add that the 4 kids in the present are still teens, plus a bunch of younger ones (I doubt the game regards those in other households though).
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @Turjan That does sound interesting. I do have ITF but will probably not be trying it out for some time as I have other EPs I would like to try first.
    When you are able to post pics I would love to see what your active household looks like :)
    Will do. Don't expect anything fancy though, it's just minor touch-ups, and the mom is Jamie Jolina. As my game tends to run into Error 12 territory all the time, I limit what I do in CAS.
    @Turjan Jamie is genetically bland so I can imagine you wouldn't have very diverse sim children unless your sim had extreme features.
    Good luck with your game :)
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    I take it back... The twins inherited Christopher's hair color. I didn't get to posting pictures but I will tomorrow.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    So, I made Ethan blonde and then my game had Sophia fall for someone else, so I used the Sim-Finder App to find a girlfriend for Ethan and the stoopid game sent over a BLONDE! *facepalm*
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
    @Mikezumi Here's the current family gallery, as promised. The four teens aren't too far apart agewise. I guess the plantsim child doesn't really matter, as I don't think he will look like the "father".

ASGty7c.jpg
    @Turjan Your teens are really cute! The brothers seem to have their dad's nose but one has eyes from dad and the other from mom. The girls are also blends but I can see the last one looks mostly like Jamie.
    The plant sim will be a clone of whoever picked him.
    Thanks for sharing :)
    Oh, the plant sim will actually be a clone of Marcus? I didn't expect that. This should get interesting. I wonder how the two girls will look like. I had actually planted three forbidden fruits, as the description I read said that there's only some chance to get a plant sim out of this. Curiosity got the better of me, and all three were babies. They ended up in the split-off part of the family, not because they were girls but because they got IF's and the boy didn't get one. I had enough issues with IF's to avoid them for the time being.

Hmm, that makes me curious what will happen if I throw some potent cure at my lovely Simbot "daughter". Not that it makes even a sliver of sense, but it should work. Heh, with high alchemy and spellcasting skills, all checks and balances in this game are gone. I guess I have to plan on giving her a "Young Again" potion afterwards. Don't want to cheat her out of her life.
    @Turjan I have only played one plant sim and she was the clone of her dad who picked her. I did some research after that and discovered that they always get their genetics from the one who picks them regardless of who grew them. The plant sim made me sad because, although she was the "daughter" in the family tree, he didn't roll the usual parent wishes for her and I felt that was unfair. I know I could force him to interact with her but it wouldn't make the wishes appear and I tend to let my sims do what they want when I am not controlling them to give them their wishes. I won't play IFs at all because zero slider, default sims (pudding) make my skin crawl.

I have no idea about the potent cure or Simbots so can offer nothing there.
    @Turjan My plant sim was unfortunate because her dad has quite extreme facial features :D
    36102161064_11c4130eda_o.jpg
    edited August 2019
    Heh, the nose is quite prominent. Not that it's such an uncommon sight among townies. I run one game in Twinbrook, and she would be a looker there. Marcus should work decently as a female. He isn't exactly square-jawed.

I should probably edit the IF's of Marcus' children to make them look a bit more unique. There's the Macias family in this version of Sunset Valley, and the father (after NRAAS had slimmed him down) and one of his sons look exactly like one of my IF's. I always have to look at the name tag to see who is who.

Other than that, I found them quite fun in the family. As some of them had traits I would never choose, it made the household more lively. I would have liked to keep them in the family, but I had to do something.
    @Turjan I don't mind prominent noses on females but this girl's looks were unfortunate in more ways than just her nose :D
    The Macias family are default sims if they look like your IF. Unless you make adjustments to Nraas SP settings immigrants will be default sims will all sliders set to zero. I don't like immigration, preferring to populate towns myself, but if I do allow it immigrant genetics are drawn from my library sims.
    Because my main interest in the game is genetics, I would never allow my sims to marry default sims. I recently played my first genie and knew that he would be default so had a body swap ready for him.

This is how the genie looked when he was summoned.
    32110609498_73bfb99c2f_o.jpg
    This is how he looked after his body swap.
    45932325282_b9f7e34e26_o.jpg

If you don't like to spend too much time in CAS you could body swap your IFs from bin sims. They will be the same sim but with new looks.
    edited August 2019
    That's an awesome change for the genie.

The game had at one point decided to erase my bin, which is also the reason why I still haven't produced a pic of how Marcus originally looked like. I have to find an old save and load that in order to get an image of him. I have two or three of my own creations in the bin now, but that's about it.

I may use the NRAAS "play with genetics" feature and just mix some of the existing townies, which should already produce decent results.

I actually love spending time in CAS. Now that I think of it, I should just start a new town or use one of my starting saves and use it there. At least it shouldn't provoke any errors then. When I only had the starter kit (base game plus Late Night plus the corresponding stuff pack), CAS would crash the game pretty much 80% of the time I used it (100% of the time if I touched all outfits), but at least that hasn't happened anymore since I installed Generations and Ambitions.
    @Turjan I have never had my bin erased. Mind you, I never use the EA bin sims so I probably wouldn't miss them. All my other sims are backed up, backed up, backed up! I have sim files dating back to my first simming days. Even when I moved to another country, I took all my sims with me :D

Using play with genetics with townies is a great idea! I hope you get some good sims out of it :)
    edited August 2019
    Which reminds me, is there an easy way to get some of the townies back that the EA story progression chose to move out of town? I'm thinking of the Wan-Goddard, Hart, Clavell or Frio families. New copies are fine, as my teens are sitting in the population gap (15 teens altogether, 4 mine, 4 their IF's, several homeless service people and three girls from some immigrated family). Some of them would actually make fine blueprints for my IF's.

Other than that, Marcus has a few more "real" kids, but the oldest will still be children for a while. Should be interesting how those will turn out when they become teens.
    Open a fresh save in Sunset Valley and save the missing households to the library. Then you can use edit town to move them back in to your existing save. If you use MC you can adjust their ages easily to play catch up with them.
    @Turjan I just had a look at your sim in the other thread and I know which bin sim you used as his base so don't stress about finding him again just to show me.
    edited August 2019
    @Mikezumi That's - impressive. You seem to know this game inside out.

Well, given I needed some of the SV townies from the start of the game to copy them to the bin, I thought I might as well use a savegame that had the original version of Marcus in it.

y9Ftxqq.jpg

That's his friendly face - I think. I probably found it funny at some point. But yes, if you still see that face in my edit, this explains why it's showing up again and again in the children and descendants of Marcus. It's okay on guys, but not so on women.
    Post edited by Turjan on
    edited August 2019
    @Turjan I don't really know the game that well! I have been playing since it came out but have been adding new EPs very slowly over that time although I own them all. I don't think this laptop could cope with too many more EPs :#:D Although I know a lot about cheating and getting my game to behave like I want with mods, I still learn new things all the time :) especially as I add new EPs. I am not at all familiar with the careers because my sims only job is to make pretty babies :p
    Marcus reminds me of a grumpy half-Japanese boy I knew over 50 years ago! :D As I said in an earlier post, I don't use the bin sims but am familiar with their faces since I see them while scrolling through to find the sims I have created.

Good luck with your game and getting back the sims that moved out. Do you use mods? Would you consider it? I don't like the way EA SP moves out sims and, over time, replaces them with default sims. With mods, I have complete control over my population.
    Post edited by Mikezumi on
    Heh, I also saw his starting traits again: Neurotic, Hot-Headed, Handy, Genius, Snob. Just lovely. The first friend he made was Vita Alto of all people. She still is one of his "best friends". Anyway, he has developed a long way since then. Jamie Jolina was more of the only working solution, because her flirtiness bypassed most of the conversation pitfalls. With his changed traits, he seems to love her nowadays. I developed a certain disdain for her, especially when it comes to raising babies and toddlers, where you had to kick her to make her do anything at all. In a parallel SV game, she lives alone in her starting house with 6 toddlers and 1 baby. Go figures. But I disgress.

Yes, I use mods. I introduced many of the NRAAS mods somewhere halfway through this specific game. Much of the damage was already done at that point though, with a dying city, many moved out townies, most houses empty. I had not noticed for a while, because with first four and then eight children in the house (without mods, only making them real neutralized the IF's), the other social connections started to suffer. Now, when you say you don't use bin sims, how do you actually start? Are there any mods to customize appearances further?
    @Turjan I may have used bin sims in the very beginning but I have never used an untweaked one. These days I mostly make sims based on real life people and go through sims I have created or who have been born in game over the years to use as bases for what I am wanting to make. I have always tweaked townies from different worlds over the years and keep them in my bin to use as bases as well.
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @Turjan I don't mind prominent noses on females but this girl's looks were unfortunate in more ways than just her nose :D
    The Macias family are default sims if they look like your IF. Unless you make adjustments to Nraas SP settings immigrants will be default sims will all sliders set to zero. I don't like immigration, preferring to populate towns myself, but if I do allow it immigrant genetics are drawn from my library sims.
    Because my main interest in the game is genetics, I would never allow my sims to marry default sims. I recently played my first genie and knew that he would be default so had a body swap ready for him.

This is how the genie looked when he was summoned.
    32110609498_73bfb99c2f_o.jpg
    This is how he looked after his body swap.
    45932325282_b9f7e34e26_o.jpg

If you don't like to spend too much time in CAS you could body swap your IFs from bin sims. They will be the same sim but with new looks.

Is that why all the townies chosen through the Sim-Finder App look like they could be my own sims? Because of Master Controller?
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
    @HillyBeth I don't know what your sims look like so I couldn't say. It could just mean that your sims are default sims so other game generated sims will look the same.