Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Renovation/Make-Over Mayhem Challenge! - Week 1 Winners have been posted!

Comments

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Kgaff wrote: »

Oh my!!! I was way, way off :* Thanks for the help. I'll have to try and post on Saturday also.

No worries, time zones throw a lot of people off. :)
  • DolphineQDolphineQ Posts: 1,799 Member
    Congrats everyone. I did one too but didn't get it in on time. :'(
    Question - When exactly is the due date/time for each week? I didn't see it in the rules unless I totally overlooked it.
    @Kgaff :).
    So glad to see you! I (and I'm sure the others) would love to see what you have made, if you wouldn't mind posting it anyway?

Please share and support me in my work with rescue cats! https://www.gofundme.com/DolphineQCats

2rgmmvq.jpg
    Lucyena wrote: »
    It is late in the evening there and I'm watching the final show of The Voice of Germany...

Oh my...I came back on this page and noticed that I have won. Thank you so much @DolphineQ for liking my Chrismas cabin and thanks for the congrats and the nice comments to my house! I appreciate that all so much.

I think my renovation was not so effortful but I enjoyed it so much! Thank you once again, DolphineQ for hosting this challenge! I own all store stuff already and so I want to split it between @ciane and @creativemetaphor.

Your poor ill kittens are in my thoughts!

@ciane: I am with you that you want to fix your mistake. You are really ambitious, kudos! :) The "new" house also is great!

Thank you so much, @Lucyena, it is very sweet of you <3.
    I love cabins, they are so cozy and I wish I could live in yours rl :smiley:.

I'll split your prize between @ciane and @creativemetaphor - ladies, you each have 175 more Simpoints, which puts @ciane at 225 and @creativemetaphor at 175 - please let me know how you wish it spent :).
    I'll respond as soon as I can, it may be a bit later this afternoon, as we have an appointment at the vets in 1½ hours.
    Please share and support me in my work with rescue cats! https://www.gofundme.com/DolphineQCats

2rgmmvq.jpg
    @Lucyena That is so generous of you! And I'd like to pay that forward by asking @DolphineQ to put the 175 toward future awards o:)
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I hope you get great news from the vet. Hugs and happy thoughts.
    If it's okay, I'll just let those points ride 'til next week.
    @Lucyena That is so generous of you! And I'd like to pay that forward by asking @DolphineQ to put the 175 toward future awards o:)

I am putting it in the pot for the BONUS Challenge in week 3 then :D. <3 to you all!

2rgmmvq.jpg
    ciane wrote: »
    I hope you get great news from the vet. Hugs and happy thoughts.
    If it's okay, I'll just let those points ride 'til next week.
    Mini is clear of crystals in her urine, her bladder and kidneys are OK. So the news was better than I could have hoped for.
    And now that she's gotten treated for intestinal parasites, fleas, worms and the likes, she'll start gaining weight fast and the more weight she gains, the more milk she can make for her babies. The little ones got a lot of praise from the vet, despite being less than half the size they ought to be at their age. So I'll keep doing what I do and they'll soon catch up :). Happy day!

2rgmmvq.jpg
    edited December 2016
    That is great news @DolphineQ and how could I have forgotten to say a great big thank you ever so much to @Lucyena for sharing her prize?! Thank you ever so much! I'm not sure yet where it's going. Oh, and @Kgaff - YES! Please do share your pics!
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member

So glad to hear your cat and kittens are on the mend!

Okay! :) I chose the "El" Urban Sprawl to make over because I like the price point but really didn't see any of my simmies living there. (Ciane and I seem to think a like, a lot! <3 )
    I'll just put up the pictures, can't get my launcher to stay open to upload it at the moment.
    I spent every simoleon
    Starting price furnished 24,234 plus 5,000 totals 29,234

Urban%20reno%2001_zps8lm798xy.jpg
    Urban%20reno%2002_zpsanebqapz.jpg
    Urban%20reno%2003_zps1nohmyqc.jpg
    Urban%20reno%2004_zpswsx2vlh2.jpg

• JovialJoyJovialJoy Posts: 251 Member
    edited December 2016
    Hello! @Hoplass told me about this challenge. And it looks like so much fun!

To be clear--the only rule with a Makeover is that the original blueprint (exterior walls) have to be in tact from a bird's eye view? And the total lot value needs to be the furnished cost + 50k or less? I know the rules have already been stated, but sometimes my reading comprehension is found wanting. :smirk: So I want to make sure I understand correctly before I get to work!

I was also wondering if a stereo counts as a "music box?"

And @Kgaff, I really like a lot of the elements of your renovation--especially your color palette. But I don't recognize a lot of the pieces. However, I only have one single expansion pack! So I was curious as to where some of the pieces came from. I'll start as if I were doing a walk-through. Where do the planters with red flowers, hanging on the fence, come from? Then the painting and tables in the entryway? And the chairs and the end table in the sitting area? Finally, I really love the double bed and lamps on the sidetables! :love:

If it's too much trouble to figure this out, I understand. I just wanted to know because sometimes the content I see influences what I plan to pick up next.

By the way, my first ever family was moved into "The 'El' Urban Sprawl."

Looking forward to participating! :mrgreen:
    Post edited by JovialJoy on
    My Top Five | My Wishlist

If you aren't already stalking the Daily Deals, you should be! Visit these threads to get Store items and Sets with the greatest possible discounts:
    DAILY DEAL (DD) ROTATION AND SALES HELP
    CASCADES & DAILY DEALS- GETTING THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR SP
    FREE ITEMS FROM "THE SIMS 3 STORE"
  • LucyenaLucyena Posts: 916 Member
    @Kgaff, wow, I love what you have done with the El! Wonderful renovation, I love the pattern you used for the walls! But I miss the download link! ;)

@JovialJoy, a warm welcome to this challenge! Have fun!

These are the rules of a Make-Over:

Make-Over - You are free to change ALL wallcoverings, both inside and out. You are free to change all doors and windows as you wish. You are free to tear down all INTERIOR walls. You can add a basement. You can build onto, up or down as you please, but the ORIGINAL OUTER WALLS MUST remain intact. Which means that you can add rooms onto, I just need to be able to see the original outer wall blueprint, regardless of how much you add on.

My first family moved into the El, too! :)
    JovialJoy wrote: »

To be clear--the only rule with a Makeover is that the original blueprint (exterior walls) have to be in tact from a bird's eye view? And the total lot value needs to be the furnished cost + 50k or less? I know the rules have already been stated, but sometimes my reading comprehension is found wanting. :smirk: So I want to make sure I understand correctly before I get to work!

I was also wondering if a stereo counts as "music box?"

Hi @JovialJoy and welcome, we're happy to have you! :)
    The answer to your first questions are yes. The original blueprint MUST be visible in birds eye view during Make-Over weeks. And the total value of the remade lot must be max furnished cost pre-Makeover plus 50k :).
    The stereo doesn't count as a music box, no. I believe that the music box is a basegame item (someone poke me if I am wrong, please), so everyone should be able to place them in their builds.
    IF I happen to be wrong, then I deeply apologise and WILL accept a small stereo as a replacement item for the music box. But ONLY if I am wrong! ;).

2rgmmvq.jpg
    @Kgaff - what a gorgeous job you have done on that house!
    I love the colors you have used and what you have done with the front porch. But my favorite area is the TV/reading area. Sooooo cute! Great job! :)

2rgmmvq.jpg
    That is great news @DolphineQ and how could I have forgotten to say a great big thank you ever so much to @Lucyena for sharing her prize?! Thank you ever so much! I'm not sure yet where it's going. Oh, and @Kgaff - YES! Please do share your pics!

Just let me know as soon as you decide. it's not going anywhere anytime soon :smiley:.

2rgmmvq.jpg
    edited December 2016
    @DolphineQ, thank you for the welcome and for the answers to my questions! <3

DolphineQ wrote: »
    The stereo doesn't count as a music box, no. I believe that the music box is a basegame item (someone poke me if I am wrong, please), so everyone should be able to place them in their builds.
    IF I happen to be wrong, then I deeply apologise and WILL accept a small stereo as a replacement item for the music box. But ONLY if I am wrong! ;).

From what I've read, the music box comes with Ambitions? But can someone else please double check my findings? I've only got the Base Game, Late Night, and High End Loft Stuff. (And I've never seen it in my game.) :cold_sweat:

Post edited by JovialJoy on

If you aren't already stalking the Daily Deals, you should be! Visit these threads to get Store items and Sets with the greatest possible discounts:
    @DolphineQ, thank you for the welcome and for the answers to my questions! <3

From what I've read, the music box comes with Ambitions? But can someone else please double check my findings? I've only got the Base Game, Late Night, and High End Loft Stuff. (And I've never seen it in my game.) :cold_sweat:
    Aha! Well, if it is from Ambitions, then you can use the smallest stereo (is that the boombox?) to replace it. Though I think it takes up a lot more room than the music boxes, but I'm not sure. Regardless, you are granted exception, because you of course cannot use something your game doesn't have in it.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what you're gonna come up with! :)

2rgmmvq.jpg
    This week I got inspired by the adorable little Myrtle Bungalow! :smile:

I was also wondering if a stereo counts as "music box?"

And @Kgaff, I really like a lot of the elements of your renovation--especially your color palette. But I don't recognize a lot of the pieces. However, I only have one single expansion pack! So I was curious as to where some of the pieces came from. I'll start as if I were doing a walk-through. Where do the planters with red flowers, hanging on the fence, come from? Then the painting and tables in the entryway? And the chairs and the end table in the sitting area? Finally, I really love the double bed and lamps on the sidetables! :love:

If it's too much trouble to figure this out, I understand. I just wanted to know because sometimes the content I see influences what I plan to pick up next.

By the way, my first ever family was moved into "The 'El' Urban Sprawl."

@jovialjoy Welcome to the challenges.

I understand how hard it is to choose which EP or Stuff pack to get. I played for years with only the base game and whatever I could get free from the store. I only recently have added to my collections

There is a great website you can check out to see what content some of the EPs have, it's called Sims VIP here's a link https://simsvip.com/. I like to check here because I mostly choose EP's for the build and decor items. They don't have every EP or SP or world but they do have a lot of them.

So to answer your question(s)...
    The flower boxes are from Monte Vista, EP World Found in decor>misc>125 simoleons
    The painting is from Into the Future EP also available in blue and turquoise
    The table in the entry are three MOOed together and are from University Life (one of my personal fav EPs)
    The chairs in the sitting area are from Late Night
    The round table is from Pets (also another personal fave)
    The double bed is from Seasons (a must have EP IMHO)
    The end tables are from Island Paradise (great for building and decor but not so much to play)
    and finally the lamps on the tables are also from Pets
    I hope this helps :)
    I've a question about the music boxes. Would the Clown-in-a-box that can be made with the Titanic Toy machine count?
    I've a question about the music boxes. Would the Clown-in-a-box that can be made with the Titanic Toy machine count?

If you don't have the expansion that the music boxes are from, then I don't see why not.
    If you do have then expansion, I'm gonna have to insist on the music box.
    Remember, it has to be visisble, but no one says it has to dominate the room ;)

2rgmmvq.jpg
    edited December 2016
    DolphineQ wrote: »
    Aha! Well, if it is from Ambitions, then you can use the smallest stereo (is that the boombox?) to replace it. Though I think it takes up a lot more room than the music boxes, but I'm not sure. Regardless, you are granted exception, because you of course cannot use something your game doesn't have in it.

@DolphineQ, thank you for the exception! If you tell me where it's located in the Buy Menu, I could check again. Afterall, I didn't recognize the chairs @Kgaff used in her design from Late Night. So there's a chance I've just overlooked it.

So to answer your question(s)...

@Kgaff, thank you for taking the time to find that out for me and thank you so much for the gifts! I loved the messages you sent with them; they reflected my own perspective about the items. It had frustrated me that there were so few table options with a tablecloth! So I was looking forward to the Hidden Treasures Dining Table. And I love how the tablecloth "hangs" off of it with some character. The Wanderlust Window was also another build object I was really looking forward to owning, and because of what you pointed out: the pillows ... and throw blanket. I wish Maxis had made bay windows with slots for clutter and bay windows with seating. Instead I have to use MOO and pedestals to fake clutter there! And seating, as far as I've experienced, is impossible without clipping. But I suppose it would be complicated to script an item like that with dual functions.

I understand how hard it is to choose which EP or Stuff pack to get. ... The table in the entry are three MOOed together and are from University Life (one of my personal fav EPs)

University Life was already one of the EPs in my top three, and it keeps climbing higher. Does it have a Coffee Shop or something? It might just be the next EP I get. But I'm also really eager to get Generations and Seasons. My gameplay is primarily family oriented, but I really don't play that much anymore. Instead, I spend most of my time building and decorating--like hours, then I generally fast forward through 8 hours of Sim time in a few minutes. The Sims are just there to make sure everything functions properly. :p But lately Ambitions is garnering some of my attention.

@Kgaff - I LOVE that we both chose the same one and both used Urbanite in the name. Too awesome! I love that location for the kitchen best too! Those basket chairs look great on the front porch and I love the puff chair in the bedroom too! Your brick looks great! I always have a hard time coloring the free brick.
    [quote="
    University Life was already one of the EPs in my top three, and it keeps climbing higher. Does it have a Coffee Shop or something? It might just be the next EP I get. But I'm also really eager to get Generations and Seasons. My gameplay is primarily family oriented, but I really don't play that much anymore. Instead, I spend most of my time building and decorating--like hours, then I generally fast forward through 8 hours of Sim time in a few minutes. The Sims are just there to make sure everything functions properly. :p But lately Ambitions is garnering some of my attention.

LOL!! You named all the EP's I like so much!!
    Seasons is fun because you can watch the trees change and the snow is fun, build igloos and make snowmen :p
    I got Generations just for all the great decor, I really haven't played a family from birth to, well you know... :(
    University Life has all kinds of fun new game play items, yes, there is a coffee bar but there are also some really great build items, some really nice windows and doors and lots of fun decor stuff.
    Ambitions is fun for game play, exploring tombs is fun :* and there are tons of great build and decor items.
    You also have to explore all the stuff you get in Buydebug, lots of no cost decor items pop up there!
    @Kgaff - I LOVE that we both chose the same one and both used Urbanite in the name. Too awesome! I love that location for the kitchen best too! Those basket chairs look great on the front porch and I love the puff chair in the bedroom too! Your brick looks great! I always have a hard time coloring the free brick.

I have a confession, I used the same column you used, so I changed them back...
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I love following threads like this. I love how people design and overhaul EA lots.

Great job everyone and I'm hoping to participate at some point.

@DolphineQ - I'm in the mood to spread some Simsmas cheer - are you after sponsors at all? :mrgreen: