Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

big fps drops in the sims 3 why?

hello so i play the sims 3 alot and i realize always that when i play my games my frames are everywhere! i get 90 or so frames and then drop to the 40s or 60s and that means intense lag! is there a way to keep my game capped t 60 or 30 frames? if so please tell me thx and btw my game graphics are all almost maxed out expect for detailed lots being 3 and i have all eps (expansion packs) and 4 sps (stuff packs) thx again in advance :)

Comments

• GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I feel your pain! I FPS drops down to like 15. lol But surprisingly I don't get any lag. I know I'm probably no where in the ballpark, but I think the frp rate also depends on your video card. What card do you have? Mine is a Geforce GT 635, planning on upgrading to a GeForce 1070 Founder's Edition next month. *is super excited*

Another thing that I can think of is to close out all other windows like internet, any other game you possibly could have running, and any other program. Oh, and if you have Steam running, close that out too. Also try a app called Process Tamer.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    I feel your pain! I FPS drops down to like 15. lol But surprisingly I don't get any lag. I know I'm probably no where in the ballpark, but I think the frp rate also depends on your video card. What card do you have? Mine is a Geforce GT 635, planning on upgrading to a GeForce 1070 Founder's Edition next month. *is super excited*

Another thing that I can think of is to close out all other windows like internet, any other game you possibly could have running, and any other program. Oh, and if you have Steam running, close that out too. Also try a app called Process Tamer.

i have the 920m @GoldenBuffy btw i have found a solution online which is to enable v-sync in your control panel becuase the sims 3 doesnt support v-sync so you have to force it from the control panel! btw i love your profile pic as negan xD alot of people would say hes the worst but i like him XD
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited December 2016
    when i enabled v-sync my game was hovering around the 60 and drops to 56 minimum and never goes to the 70s or so!! so i am good now!
    @adamzaid I'm like 89% sure I have v-sync enabled in game and disabled for Sims 3 in my Nvidia settings. Maybe I should be more worried about it, but since I don't have lag it really doesn't bother me that it drops down that low. With GTA V I'm getting fps dipping as low as 30 - 45 with no lag, but once it dips to 25 then I get lag. But I'm super glad it's working for you!!!

Thanks! Yeah, I've seen on Twitter how many people hate Negan. But, OMG! I'm in love. *swoon* And at first I blamed it on JDM playing Negan, but then I read Negan's back story, and seriously, I truly think he is one of Kirckman's best characters ever created. And I'm enjoying him greatly on the show. I hope Negan stays in power over the Saviors for as long as possible. Just really enjoying him and Lucille. ;)
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @GoldenBuffy - There is no function within TS3 to limit frame rates. TS4 has that. For TS3 it has to be done from an outside source such as the Nvidia control panel, Nvidia Inspector, the equivalent for AMD, or a different program.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @igazor, yeah, I use Razer Cortex for that. And then with Steam games I use the fps that comes as an option.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• alejandro15039alejandro15039 Posts: 939 Member
    If only I could play at 40 fps...