Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Patch affects groups

Comments

• WyrrenWyrren Posts: 724 Member
    Please to be fixing this now that I have my new computer?

I honestly thought it would be done by now... But I cannot wait to play again! I started installing first thing after the antivirus. It's just going to have to be a new game, and my save files are staying on the usb drive for now.
    Origin ID: Wyrren
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Mendota wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I hope there is an emergency patch today.

I want to get the SP tomorrow but see no point in spending my money if I'm not even playing the game.

Well then at least you can understand why many of us are no longer buying Sims 4 stuff because we are missing that life stage some of us feel the game is empty with out. It is sort of like what you feel with having clubs then having them go away and no longer in your game. It is how it feels to have toddlers for 11 years and then they make them disappear and never come back again. People tell me to suck it up and get over it - but I bet you get the point of how we all feel that miss the toddlers and they have left us waiting over 2 years now. How would you feel if clubs stayed gone that long?

Of course to me game play things are on a lesser plane than an entire life stage - so missing a game play feature is a small comparison - but still it might help others who did not feel what we feel about missing toddlers - understand a little better what it is like to have an important part of your play style torn away from you and your game.

I am not affected by the clubs missing as I don't play with clubs period - but I can feel your pain as I just cannot enjoy this game without toddlers so I can see how you feel. It is just not your game any more when something vital is suddenly not there anymore. For the sake of the clubbers - I do hope they fix it soon for you all - a lot faster than we have gotten toddlers anyway. LOL.

(Just to see the prospective - I used to play my Sims games 4-6 hours every day but since Sims 4 came out in 2014 I still do not even have 280 hours into the game because I just cannot enjoy it without the tots. (That's how badly Sims 4 cripples my play style having no toddlers. Map builders are going through the same problem with no ability to build as they are used to in previous Sims games in Sims 4, and this has also not changed since this game came out). Granted yours is just a broken issue and I am sure they will eventually fix it, unlike me getting the tots or builders getting more build - but at least you can taste what we feel and why we complain a lot about it. It is hard to enjoy a game you have played for over a decade one way and not have that in the game anymore - you must see that even though it's only been a few days for the clubs.

The Sims 4 never had toddlers, but the club system is what Get Together was all about. So I don't miss what wasn't there in the first place. It is unfortunate that you are disappointed, but the Sims wasn't created just for one type of player. Different iterations try different things and attracts new fans and sometimes it is not what others want. I had to wait out Sims 3. I didn't like it. It took away my ability to play multiple families. But I didn't feel that it was appropriate for me to come to the forums and complain constantly. I allowed those that were enjoying it to enjoy it without feeling the need remind then that it didn't have what I wanted.

At any rate this thread is about the broken club system. I logged in to see what the progress was. If you miss toddlers that much, why aren't you playing them in one of the other games? I played Sims 2 for 10 years. I had a good time.

The play styles that are targeted in this version are much more narrow than in the past. The scope of play styles it does encompass is narrow and few.

That is a matter of opinion. I found Sims 3 far more restrictive.

No word yet. I am wondering if the SP will be held up for this. So far it seems to still be listed as coming out tomorrow. I wonder if the SP would actually fix the issue. It might be that the prep that they put in the patch is causing the issue. What I mean is they put most of the under the hood changes in the patch beforehand. The packs themselves seldom cause issues if you recall. But I wonder if splitting things up this way contributes to the issues.

What do you see as restrictive in TS3? In 4 I can't do complicated builds that might need terrain editing. I can't edit my towns to suit my style and stories. I can't easily style and match decor. I have a very difficult time with a deviant play style. Enemies are friends again after a few minutes. No meaningful effort has been into other life states.

As far as rotation play I had far less problems switching to another family in 3.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

I want to get the SP tomorrow but see no point in spending my money if I'm not even playing the game.

Well then at least you can understand why many of us are no longer buying Sims 4 stuff because we are missing that life stage some of us feel the game is empty with out. It is sort of like what you feel with having clubs then having them go away and no longer in your game. It is how it feels to have toddlers for 11 years and then they make them disappear and never come back again. People tell me to suck it up and get over it - but I bet you get the point of how we all feel that miss the toddlers and they have left us waiting over 2 years now. How would you feel if clubs stayed gone that long?

Of course to me game play things are on a lesser plane than an entire life stage - so missing a game play feature is a small comparison - but still it might help others who did not feel what we feel about missing toddlers - understand a little better what it is like to have an important part of your play style torn away from you and your game.

I am not affected by the clubs missing as I don't play with clubs period - but I can feel your pain as I just cannot enjoy this game without toddlers so I can see how you feel. It is just not your game any more when something vital is suddenly not there anymore. For the sake of the clubbers - I do hope they fix it soon for you all - a lot faster than we have gotten toddlers anyway. LOL.

(Just to see the prospective - I used to play my Sims games 4-6 hours every day but since Sims 4 came out in 2014 I still do not even have 280 hours into the game because I just cannot enjoy it without the tots. (That's how badly Sims 4 cripples my play style having no toddlers. Map builders are going through the same problem with no ability to build as they are used to in previous Sims games in Sims 4, and this has also not changed since this game came out). Granted yours is just a broken issue and I am sure they will eventually fix it, unlike me getting the tots or builders getting more build - but at least you can taste what we feel and why we complain a lot about it. It is hard to enjoy a game you have played for over a decade one way and not have that in the game anymore - you must see that even though it's only been a few days for the clubs.

The Sims 4 never had toddlers, but the club system is what Get Together was all about. So I don't miss what wasn't there in the first place. It is unfortunate that you are disappointed, but the Sims wasn't created just for one type of player. Different iterations try different things and attracts new fans and sometimes it is not what others want. I had to wait out Sims 3. I didn't like it. It took away my ability to play multiple families. But I didn't feel that it was appropriate for me to come to the forums and complain constantly. I allowed those that were enjoying it to enjoy it without feeling the need remind then that it didn't have what I wanted.

At any rate this thread is about the broken club system. I logged in to see what the progress was. If you miss toddlers that much, why aren't you playing them in one of the other games? I played Sims 2 for 10 years. I had a good time.

The play styles that are targeted in this version are much more narrow than in the past. The scope of play styles it does encompass is narrow and few.

No word yet. I am wondering if the SP will be held up for this. So far it seems to still be listed as coming out tomorrow. I wonder if the SP would actually fix the issue. It might be that the prep that they put in the patch is causing the issue. What I mean is they put most of the under the hood changes in the patch beforehand. The packs themselves seldom cause issues if you recall. But I wonder if splitting things up this way contributes to the issues.

What do you see as restrictive in TS3? In 4 I can't do complicated builds that might need terrain editing. I can't edit my towns to suit my style and stories. I can't easily style and match decor. I have a very difficult time with a deviant play style. Enemies are friends again after a few minutes. No meaningful effort has been into other life states.

As far as rotation play I had far less problems switching to another family in 3.

I know - I have no issues at all switching families now as that is also part of my play style and people did complain until they actually fixed it. So I have no idea what she is talking about. I do play Sims 2 and Sims 3 and because I own Sims 4 too I can complain because I own it and still cannot play it. There is no law that says I cannot play all my sims games last I knew.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• VirtualPets65VirtualPets65 Posts: 133 Member
    Maybe EA will bring back terrain tools in a future pack or patch. I loved using the tools in Sims 1, and would love to those tools return in Sims 4.
  • CarpeNoctemSimsCarpeNoctemSims Posts: 328 Member

I can't for the life of my phantom what about the SP would have caused them to break the clubs. I think it might be something they did in preparation for the upcoming rumored GP. If that is the case, can they even fix it before the GP?

I'm more worried that the patch will do something to break the SP after it releases.

Or as @alanmichael1 stated jokingly that it will break three other packs in the process, lol.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2016

I can't for the life of my phantom what about the SP would have caused them to break the clubs. I think it might be something they did in preparation for the upcoming rumored GP. If that is the case, can they even fix it before the GP?

I'm more worried that the patch will do something to break the SP after it releases.

Or as @alanmichael1 stated jokingly that it will break three other packs in the process, lol.

It is possible it was one of the other fixes in the patch. Maybe the one they did for the weddings that make the sims sit (as that was to do with groups too) did something - or any one of the other fixes. There were a lot of fixes in that patch if you read through them all. It is quite possible it was not the pre-patch part at all.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

It is possible it was one of the other fixes in the patch. Maybe the one they did for the weddings that make the sims sit (as that was to do with groups too) did something - or any one of the other fixes. There were a lot of fixes in that patch if you read through them all. It is quite possible it was not the pre-patch part at all.

Ah, good point.

I get cross-eyed and frustrated trying to read through all the extra chatter in those patch notes to try and figure out what was actually done. I completely forgot there were a ton of bug fixes in the patch.

Thank you for the reminder, makes more sense now.
  • MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member

Well as a player from Sims 1 building was not my thing and I am not a deviant player. I am a story teller and Sims 3 restricted me badly. As for switching families, whenever I did that there were serious issues including having your family culled or disappear or simply go off the rails from what you intended. It was a common issue as a result of the SP which was never really fixed. Also the more families I made the more the lagging and routing issues occurred. A direct result of the number of Sims. The game was clearly tailored to one family play. The actual relations between Sims (family play) was horrible. It didn't get corrected until generations (which by that time I stopped playing). I also found the Sims robotic and non responsive. The few community places were barren, and the horrid rabbit holes left me cold. Very restrictive after all the open and fun community lots in Sims 2. I could go on and on. Now that is not to say that you found it restrictive for yourself, but I did, so you see; It is a matter of opinion.

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I wonder what's taking long to fix this.
  • kiriviankirivian Posts: 1,074 Member
    This is my first post so I hope I am doing it correctly. I noticed something else about the clubs that I don't recall seeing mentioned elsewhere. I created a new world to play while waiting for a fix for this club bug. In the new world, I created a house club for my household (mainly to get training boosts and boosts to work performance etc.) When I went to buy the skill boost for singing, I noticed it wasn't available anymore. After City Living was released there was an option to buy a trait to boost singing skill training and now there does not appear to be a boost for that skill anymore. I am not sure if this is happening to anyone else, but as I said this is a fresh game I am working with. I removed my whole Sims 4 folder to avoid issues with the club bug in my regular neighborhood and this bug is happening in the new neighborhood that was created when my Sims 4 folder was recreated.
    "You ask me if there'll come a time when I grow tired of you...Never, my love..." -The Association (1967)
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

It's been less than a week so far. For a bug to get fixed, first it has to be narrowed down and defined; then the cause has to be found; then the fix has to be coded; then it has to be tested to make sure it works, ideally in all those saves that QA collected from players experiencing this, and in all the situations described; whatever the code was meant to be doing has to be recoded for and tested. Then the whole thing has to be compiled into new code for patching, and submitted to Origin for distribution.

A fix in a week would be super fast, not long.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

It's been less than a week so far. For a bug to get fixed, first it has to be narrowed down and defined; then the cause has to be found; then the fix has to be coded; then it has to be tested to make sure it works, ideally in all those saves that QA collected from players experiencing this, and in all the situations described; whatever the code was meant to be doing has to be recoded for and tested. Then the whole thing has to be compiled into new code for patching, and submitted to Origin for distribution.

A fix in a week would be super fast, not long.

SimGuruSteve gave an explanation about patches and fixes last June and in particular he explained what happens when something goes bad with a patch, lots of steps involved and work during the weekend, to release it in time for the pack. I don't know if this bug is considered critical enough to have the team works during the weekend, but I'm glad they have managed to reproduce it.
    Previously in the early days of Sims 3, we would release both the basegame patch and the product at the same time. 10:00am. Early enough that the team was all in office and ready to test.

However, this causes a few issues. If players in Asia, Australia, Europe, etc bought the physical copy, they were fine - there was a patch on disc. Not the most updated patch, but one that brought the basegame to a compatible version. If players bought digitially, however - they needed the coordinating patch to move the basegame to a compatible version. Buy the game on release day and not play it til later? No good.

Also, if the patch turned out to be bad (rare, but has happened) we were scrambling to fix it - especially because again, digital players wouldn't be able to play their game.

So then, (I think after a particularly bad streak of patches) we decided to release the patch early so we could have QA verify everything went well. We realized it solved a bunch of the above issues and players got excited to see the basegame changes through the weekend.

We also used that emergency time in at least one case. We had a bad patch release on Thursday, rolled it back and engineers fixed it that day, generate patches overnight, test on Friday, run it through certification and additional testing Saturday, submit patches to be hosted on Sunday (while testing more just in case), and release the patch on Monday at 10:00am - a day ahead of the official release, and just in time for Asia.

So we stuck with that schedule. End of the week for patches with products coming out on Tuesday. It's not set in stone, but I think it works for everyone.
    @Neia I've never seen that quote before, thank you for sharing it.

Unfortunately, it's just made me sadder. I took from it that chances are pretty low that they consider the broken clubs critical enough to do an emergency patch. I think they will wait till the January regular patch to fix them and that makes me sad. Weeks without playing my game or purchasing anything new, I'll probably lose interest since I'm incredibly busy in real life and will find something else to take it's place.

Hopefully, I'm wrong and they fix them this week.

Well as a player from Sims 1 building was not my thing and I am not a deviant player. I am a story teller and Sims 3 restricted me badly. As for switching families, whenever I did that there were serious issues including having your family culled or disappear or simply go off the rails from what you intended. It was a common issue as a result of the SP which was never really fixed. Also the more families I made the more the lagging and routing issues occurred. A direct result of the number of Sims. The game was clearly tailored to one family play. The actual relations between Sims (family play) was horrible. It didn't get corrected until generations (which by that time I stopped playing). I also found the Sims robotic and non responsive. The few community places were barren, and the horrid rabbit holes left me cold. Very restrictive after all the open and fun community lots in Sims 2. I could go on and on. Now that is not to say that you found it restrictive for yourself, but I did, so you see; It is a matter of opinion.

I agree some things about the game is opinion but some of it is observation of performance and so not an opinion. In all the years I was playing TS3 on a regular daily basis I had one played family culled. As far as going off the rails that's a play style preference. I loved the surprise of not knowing what I'd find because I've never been a micro manager. Being one would be far too regimented for me. I'd also say that if you stopped playing at Generations you missed a lot of interesting game play.....but that's another choice. I never had a problem with lagging or empty community lots and never added mods until the end of production.......and those were for added game play, not to fix anything.

Maybe not being a builder or using certain play styles you just can't be sympathetic to the problems so many are facing when they try to make this game their own. I'm happy you've been able to find this game has things for you but that doesn't mean that some find the game shallow and lacking in creativity isn't a valid point.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Kelna1911Kelna1911 Posts: 6 New Member
    @Neia I've never seen that quote before, thank you for sharing it.

Unfortunately, it's just made me sadder. I took from it that chances are pretty low that they consider the broken clubs critical enough to do an emergency patch. I think they will wait till the January regular patch to fix them and that makes me sad. Weeks without playing my game or purchasing anything new, I'll probably lose interest since I'm incredibly busy in real life and will find something else to take it's place.

Hopefully, I'm wrong and they fix them this week.

They fixed clubs :D:D Can't wait to play again tomorrow, haven't played since the last update, other than 5 minutes, after which I missed my clubs not working and turned the game off.

From today's patch notes:

"Get Together

Fixed an issue where club points would incorrectly display as 0, and purchased club perks would go missing.
    If you saved your game when in this state, any Sims added to the unlocked 7th or 8th slots would have been evicted from the club and will need to be re-added."
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,403 Member
    Thank you patch team :)<3 !
    I'm so happy right now.

I put a copy of my save in and all my clubs are the way I set them up.

I play multi-generational saves and I use the clubs so all the children can meet up at the park and play together. The women in the family go out for brunch together. I use them to fill up my lots with sims doing things.

Clubs are such an integral part of how I play TS4 that I really felt the loss of those 2 extra members.

Thank you for fixing them.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,830 Member
    Thanks @SimGuruNick and patch team!!
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

I found cas restrictive in a sense. Sliders were annoying and In my opinion the Sims are as ugly as can be. I will give them cast though, it's amazing. We should at least have a color wheel.

As for build mode it annoyed me because if I ever got courageous and tried to build I'd end up messing up half way and having to start over. You don't have to do that in Sims 4.

But what really restricts me in a sense is the lag and routing issues. If 20 Sims IN sims 3 tried to enter a door at the same time (which happened ALOT in university life) there would be tons of waiting or foot stomping. You know how often my sim was late for class because she couldn't get in?

Sims 3 was a great game don't get me wrong, the worlds were absolutely stunning and customization was amazing. You could even create your literal own world if you were skilled. The only thing that turns me away from it are the bugs and lag, and the way the Sims look. I also dislike how it restricts you to one world without mods though. So my sim IN Monte vista can never scuba dive without complicated cheats.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
    edited December 2016

I agree some things about the game is opinion but some of it is observation of performance and so not an opinion. In all the years I was playing TS3 on a regular daily basis I had one played family culled. As far as going off the rails that's a play style preference. I loved the surprise of not knowing what I'd find because I've never been a micro manager. Being one would be far too regimented for me. I'd also say that if you stopped playing at Generations you missed a lot of interesting game play.....but that's another choice. I never had a problem with lagging or empty community lots and never added mods until the end of production.......and those were for added game play, not to fix anything.

Maybe not being a builder or using certain play styles you just can't be sympathetic to the problems so many are facing when they try to make this game their own. I'm happy you've been able to find this game has things for you but that doesn't mean that some find the game shallow and lacking in creativity isn't a valid point.

No, I am sorry, but my view at the end of the day is that as an adult, I accept that I can't always get what I want. That is the way that life is, and if someone else is happy, I see no reason to rain on their parade. I didn't like the style of Sims 3, and so I just left it. I didn't hang around and keep buying things hoping to make myself like it (and I really don't understand that behavior). Your experience is based on who you are, and mine is based on who I am, as a result we like different things. You are not going to convince me to like your game play, and I am not going to convince you to like mine. If you don't like Sims 4 fine, walk away from it, and let those of us who like it, like it.

Update and on topic. Thank you Sims team for the fast fix!!!
  • JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
    Yay they fix it :D:D I'm so Elated and Happy
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

No, I am sorry, but my view at the end of the day is that as an adult, I accept that I can't always get what I want. That is the way that life is, and if someone else is happy, I see no reason to rain on their parade. I didn't like the style of Sims 3, and so I just left it. I didn't hang around and keep buying things hoping to make myself like it (and I really don't understand that behavior). Your experience is based on who you are, and mine is based on who I am, as a result we like different things. You are not going to convince me to like your game play, and I am not going to convince you to like mine. If you don't like Sims 4 fine, walk away from it, and let those of us who like it, like it.

I see you still don't read closely enough to see what people are actually saying. There is no point in this discussion.

I see you still don't read closely enough to see what people are actually saying. There is no point in this discussion.

Good to stop and not keep digging the hole. Happy Simming.

Anyone having issues with the new patch. I still haven't updated?

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,830 Member

Working perfectly for me. :)

That's strange you should say that. I was thinking your replies were becoming more odd and disjointed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top