Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Patch affects groups

Comments

• crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    It's true.....

My clubs are broken. This is in a brand new TS4 folder and after a game repair (I always do this with every new patch). The save is CC/Mod free. It's a base save I created prior and all my clubs are messed up.

tumblr_inline_ohix2ncQwz1upjkmc_540.png

@CarpeNoctemSims Is it ok when I use this pic for a blog post in my blog ?
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @BabySquare

SimGuruNick, I think it's the Engagement Team... who made this patch.

Pretty sure patches aren't ever only made by one team. Anything that involves breakage would be investigated by QA (Quality Assurance), which is the department in charge of fixing broken stuff. (My husband is a QA guy.)

However I wonder how terrible and obvious bugs like this one (or the immortal nanny) can be overlooked. I'm not even a passionate user of the club system and noticed the mess after one minute.

I have the impression that the devs only check their fixes in the base game and have no time to test the interference with other packs. This makes many Sims packs unplayable after a short time - think for example of TS3 Ambitions where they never managed to fix the firefighter career.

The game is supercomplex (my husband once said he'd want at least a 100% raise to manage QA on this product, from what he'd seen of it). I suspect that the system of what to check is extensive and complicated, but that doesn't mean it's guaranteed 100% complete. QA is a human-run process: there's no wand you can wave to ensure that you don't miss something in testing. We don't see stuff this game-breaking and universal very often, considering how often we get updates and how complex the game is - I've been generally impressed, tbh. I would imagine from the nature of the issue that this one will be easy to isolate; hopefully it'll be a quick development fix as well, or at least a quick bandaid to hide the issue on users' end.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    Mendota wrote: »
    legolizeit wrote: »
    Thank you for the concern. The save that got messed up is a copy. I never put my only version of the save into the game for cases like this. Once it's fixed, I can just delete the TS4 folder and start over with a copy of the untouched save.

I've been playing Sims games for a decade and I still haven't learned my lesson. At least someone has!

Make sure to keep auto update off. Than you can go offline in Origin and continue to play that way.

Just turned off automatic game update. Is that what you're referring to?

That's half of it. If you also play connected to the internet, Origin will still know there's meant to be an update and will insist you update before you can play. Turning off auto-update seems intended only to make it so you can postpone updating if, say, you need to do that overnight not during peak hours.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    @BabySquare

Pretty sure patches aren't ever only made by one team. Anything that involves breakage would be investigated by QA (Quality Assurance), which is the department in charge of fixing broken stuff. (My husband is a QA guy.)

However I wonder how terrible and obvious bugs like this one (or the immortal nanny) can be overlooked. I'm not even a passionate user of the club system and noticed the mess after one minute.

I have the impression that the devs only check their fixes in the base game and have no time to test the interference with other packs. This makes many Sims packs unplayable after a short time - think for example of TS3 Ambitions where they never managed to fix the firefighter career.

The game is supercomplex (my husband once said he'd want at least a 100% raise to manage QA on this product, from what he'd seen of it). I suspect that the system of what to check is extensive and complicated, but that doesn't mean it's guaranteed 100% complete. QA is a human-run process: there's no wand you can wave to ensure that you don't miss something in testing. We don't see stuff this game-breaking and universal very often, considering how often we get updates and how complex the game is - I've been generally impressed, tbh. I would imagine from the nature of the issue that this one will be easy to isolate; hopefully it'll be a quick development fix as well, or at least a quick bandaid to hide the issue on users' end.

Of course we are all humans - but TS is not some obscure niche, it's the most important PC game on the market. It's playing in the Mercedes league of entertainment. Now imagine the real Mercedes would test their cars with such care ...

• BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    @BabySquare

Of course we are all humans - but TS is not some obscure niche, it's the most important PC game on the market. It's playing in the Mercedes league of entertainment. Now imagine the real Mercedes would test their cars with such care ...

They bring out a new model of washer bottle that accidentally ejects the driver?
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    Thank you for the concern. The save that got messed up is a copy. I never put my only version of the save into the game for cases like this. Once it's fixed, I can just delete the TS4 folder and start over with a copy of the untouched save.

I've been playing Sims games for a decade and I still haven't learned my lesson. At least someone has!

Make sure to keep auto update off. Than you can go offline in Origin and continue to play that way.

Yes, Then you can continue to play the non updated game until things are sorted out.

Yes, Then you can continue to play the non updated game until things are sorted out.

Cool! that's what I did, thanks! :)
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited December 2016
  • CarpeNoctemSimsCarpeNoctemSims Posts: 328 Member
    crinrict wrote: »
    It's true.....

My clubs are broken. This is in a brand new TS4 folder and after a game repair (I always do this with every new patch). The save is CC/Mod free. It's a base save I created prior and all my clubs are messed up.

@CarpeNoctemSims Is it ok when I use this pic for a blog post in my blog ?

I don't mind.
  • MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member

That's half of it. If you also play connected to the internet, Origin will still know there's meant to be an update and will insist you update before you can play. Turning off auto-update seems intended only to make it so you can postpone updating if, say, you need to do that overnight not during peak hours.

Even though Origin tries to make you believe that you have to update in order to play. That is not entirely true. The wording is poor, probably on purpose. If you turn off updates and then go off line, you can continue to play. I should have mentioned that you must go off line as well.

@BabySquare But Origin must be in Offline mode if you want to play without updating.

Thanks! I wasn't sure I could completely trust it in online mode.
  • CarpeNoctemSimsCarpeNoctemSims Posts: 328 Member
    edited December 2016
    Couple of comments without quoting everybody:

Not updating - the only way to avoid this is to be sure you disconnect your computer from the internet before launching Origin (simple toggling of the wifi button to airplane mode on a laptop). The second it sees there is a TS4 update, you are forced to update or cannot play it.

QA and TS4 - I'll be the first to shake an angry fist at EA and I have many times; however, it's nearly impossible for them to be able to foresee everything that can happen. There are so many variables at play here. Things like the computer, the content, the save set up. The fact that a guru jumped right on here and commented so quickly? I'm happy and hoping that this will be fixed in an emergency repair.

Patch breaking 3rd party mods/content - that's not really the fault of EA. They specifically state when you enable mods that they do not support them. It's annoying that mods break so much but that's a risk we take when we use them.

I'll be building till then because I cannot play this game without my clubs.
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited December 2016

I don't mind.

Thanks
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited December 2016
    They don't know what they do.

For example, "Watch current channel" isn't fixed properly, they don't understand how it works.
    They aren't able to handle the simple things.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    They don't know what they do.

For example, "Watch current channel" isn't fixed properly, they don't understand how it works.

Thank you for ending my evening with a really good laugh :D:s>:) They don't understand how "watch current channel" works .... I'm in tears ... I must go to bed.

• ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    This is why I never allow my game to update until the mods I use are updated and any major issues the patch brings are dealt with. Auto updates off, Origin offline, and you can keep blissfully playing your modded game as long as you need to. Lol. I'm really disappointed with the clubs being broke though. I really wanted to get this update, especially for the dishes stuck off the lot fix.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for reporting this. While not all of my game saves have clubs, enough of them do that I will wait for awhile to see if an emergency patch comes out before re-launching my game.
  • YBuzzYBuzz Posts: 3 New Member
    Not sure if this will be useful, but if you are having the issue where your club loses its 7th and 8th members, then I have found that opening and closing the panel for changing the clubs outfits seems to reset things in my game - the two spaces will become unlocked again as soon as I close that window.

I have used this a couple of times today in order to get a gathering of an entire 8 sim club. Unfortunately it's just a temporary fix, only lasting until the next loading screen, so you do have to get to the lot you want to visit before doing this and starting a gathering.
    It's true.....

Your sim in this picture called Ethan is just, well, lovely! ;) is he available on the gallery by any chance?
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    By groups you mean clubs I assume but does this also effect groups without being clubbed up? Sims can be in a group without being clubbed up.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Does anyone know if it's safe to play my save if I don't start gatherings or play with the clubs feature in any way? My game has already updated and I do have clubs, but I want to play. I can ignore clubs for now until there's a fix; I just wonder if the mere act of playing is enough to break the clubs.
  • codyjaymkecodyjaymke Posts: 1 New Member
    Just updated my game, built a new restaurant that took over an hour, went to save and got an error. I'm so upset.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,581 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's safe to play my save if I don't start gatherings or play with the clubs feature in any way? My game has already updated and I do have clubs, but I want to play. I can ignore clubs for now until there's a fix; I just wonder if the mere act of playing is enough to break the clubs.

Hello
    You can still play the game and not use the clubs feature. It may be good to make a back up copy of your save game before playing so that you can then use that save file if further issues occur. Also it may be good to do a " save as " version and play that save game.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,581 Member
    codyjaymke wrote: »
    Just updated my game, built a new restaurant that took over an hour, went to save and got an error. I'm so upset.

Hello
    I am sorry that this occured in your game :( If you are still in-game, try travelling to another lot and see if you save the game there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top