Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 on sale @Target ~ huge savings! 50% off! CL for $17.99 pre-tax!

Comments

• Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    Looks like I'm going to target soon. :P Of course I still need to make a computer to play the game lol.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I just came back from Target and bought City Living for 19.99. I decided to wait for the sale this time around. It is not a bad deal, especially if you are unsure, or short on funds.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited November 2016
    meeoun wrote: »
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Just shy of three weeks on the market before they cut the price in half.

Boy, they've really outdone themselves this time.

I may not be a fan, but I can see that it is close to Black Friday and close enough to Christmas to warrant a sale at Target.

I don't need a sale to verify anything positive or negative. In fact, I don't need anything at all to to verify my own disatisfaction. I know I'm not happy. That doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Department Stores do whatever they can to increase sales. It's business. Crazy sales are everywhere right now.

I'm not following what you're trying to say.

In terms sales, for the game to be that new and cheap with it not even being Black Friday weekend is questionable. I noticed that Pokémon Sun/Moon and Call of Duty:IW (which came out around the same time as CL this year) though a bit cheaper but yet, are not 50% off. That must say something about the popular demand for the games.

I'm happy though. I bought CL for less than $20. Though I'm not happy with this iteration, I find that $17 is worth it. Also, GT is less than $15 right now. O_o.

Sales are quite common this time of year. Despite the base cost of the games, Target still needs to make a profit. I would wager the base cost for Nintendo games is higher due Nintendos own pricing model. Comparing what is and isn't on sale, or the percentages between those the sales, doesn't really tell us anything.
    Post edited by kremesch73 on
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5

Sales are quite common this time of year. Despite the base cost of the games, Target still needs to make a profit. I would wager the base cost for Nintendo games is higher due Nintendos own pricing model. Comparing what is and isn't on sale, or the percentages of the sales, doesn't really tell us anything.

Yup very true. For retail the usual price I believe is the base price times two. That way when they put things on sale they still make a profit.

edited November 2016
    Clk1143 wrote: »

Sales are quite common this time of year. Despite the base cost of the games, Target still needs to make a profit. I would wager the base cost for Nintendo games is higher due Nintendos own pricing model. Comparing what is and isn't on sale, or the percentages of the sales, doesn't really tell us anything.

Yup very true. For retail the usual price I believe is the base price times two. That way when they put things on sale they still make a profit.

In my experience. Markup is anywhere from 100% to 500%. Companies that have more frequent sales and coupons often lean toward the higher percentage. They can afford the losses. This does not count the suppliers that set their own pricing. In the case referring to the latter, you will see less sales and more coupon exceptions.

Companies with a smaller markup will also have less sales.

The only time I would deem a sale as a sign of failure is if it came from the supplier itself. In this case, EA's Origin putting a game on sale after a few weeks of release would be a far greater sign of failure or weakness than a struggling Department Store putting whatever they can on sale without a loss.

Keep in mind S4 is digital and not physical. The loss for a great sale this time of year to sell the consumer a code is not a great loss.

Also, Target shut down an alarming number of stores in Canada after greedily buying out a struggling Zellers. Their promise of profit to their investors within the first year did not pay up.

I don't know about elsewhere. I would say this sale is more of a heads up to the fail of a particular department store than the fail of the actual product that is on sale.

Just saying.

Here in Canada, Target cut its own throat and Walmart is seeing a large decline in profit. A sale at these particular stores does not lead me to think anything of the actual product. It only reeks of desperation from a company that took advantage of its own employees and imaginary domination of the market to its investors and is now reaping the rewards of its own mismanagement.

When I see a crazy sale like this from the actual supplier so shortly after a release of its own product, I will change my tune, and I'm not talking about pushing seasonal product out the door here. I'm talking about grandeur promises to investors and a declining economy.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I just updated Origin and they are allowing you to "Gift" games to people on your friends list. I didn't read everything about it because I have no friends (my choice) so I briefly read about it.

Nice that they finally offer that now though.
  • JonalinJonalin Posts: 1,708 Member
    imhappy wrote: »
    This is so cool! Thank you so much for the information!

Just bought it!

You're very welcome! Enjoy!!
    edited November 2016
    Personally, I think it is just the holiday season. Getting a jump on Black Friday and Cy-ber Monday sales. These are two very big shopping days in the US. Stores will do that. Target stocks are steadily going up atm.

Cy-ber spelled normally = plum. Weird!
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Jonalin wrote: »
    All Sims 4 PC titles 50%off (Reg. 39.99, sale 19.99)

I already own CL, but look at the great price!

15R3MVP.png

FF9p1dG.png

Thanks for the heads up!
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

@DeservedCriticism Target doesn't have to ask EA if they can put their game on sale. They do what they want, provided they're willing to eat the difference, and in this case, it's a smart move because the closer to Christmas it gets, the more game sales will be available from various game clients. I'm sure Origin will run another 50% off (or greater) sale on all sim titles, too. Whoever puts out the first decent holiday sale on games usually gets the buyer and their money. It's holiday marketing season, that's literal war in the retail department. rofl

Depending on the arrangement, yes, Target might have to ask for permission to do this. Assuming you know what you're talking about as you've clearly no motivation to lie to me, Target would have no motivation to put it on sale unless it's selling poorly.

What's more, now EA themselves put it on sale, not two days later.

No, putting things on sale over a month in advance of Christmas and three weeks after the release of a product is not "genius marketing." There's a NUMBER of ways that's just outright false, but I'll just name the basic two, which are that you're already surrendering some of your Xmas profits by doing so, plus does the average consumer even plan and purchase Christmas gifts this early in advance...? I'd think not. Moreover, unless Target is slashing the prices of all their retail products almost unanimously with some big "CHRISTMAS SALE" advertisement (because yes, they do want to imbed the idea in consumer's minds that they can save money if they buy now), then this is just one product on sale.

Moreover, EA themselves have no motivation to do such a thing since they profit regardless, yet here they are.

Sims 4 is doing poorly.
    This does not take a degree in rocket science, and it's becoming painful to watch the denial as we all drive down a road with a cliff at the end of it, the car engine's on fire and mere seconds from exploding, but by God the driver and the front seat passenger insist on smiling and telling us EVERYTHING'S FINE!
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
    edited November 2016

Depending on the arrangement, yes, Target might have to ask for permission to do this. Assuming you know what you're talking about as you've clearly no motivation to lie to me, Target would have no motivation to put it on sale unless it's selling poorly.

What's more, now EA themselves put it on sale, not two days later.

No, putting things on sale over a month in advance of Christmas and three weeks after the release of a product is not "genius marketing." There's a NUMBER of ways that's just outright false, but I'll just name the basic two, which are that you're already surrendering some of your Xmas profits by doing so, plus does the average consumer even plan and purchase Christmas gifts this early in advance...? I'd think not. Moreover, unless Target is slashing the prices of all their retail products almost unanimously with some big "CHRISTMAS SALE" advertisement (because yes, they do want to imbed the idea in consumer's minds that they can save money if they buy now), then this is just one product on sale.

Moreover, EA themselves have no motivation to do such a thing since they profit regardless, yet here they are.

Sims 4 is doing poorly.
    This does not take a degree in rocket science, and it's becoming painful to watch the denial as we all drive down a road with a cliff at the end of it, the car engine's on fire and mere seconds from exploding, but by God the driver and the front seat passenger insist on smiling and telling us EVERYTHING'S FINE!

Uh yes the average consumer, which is me and my family by the way, can in fact plan ahead for Christmas. I have 13 nephews and neices, plus two that will out before Christmas to buy for. Not to mention my own kids. I am always on the look out for sales to buy for them. Sales this early for games during the holiday season is normal. I've seen it for other games too, even other new ones, put on a sale for black friday, or before black friday, or for Thanksgiving. The sales for the holidays have also started coming earlier and earlier as the years progress. I mean here in stores Halloween is almost skipped over now, as Christmas decorations and gift packages are put up before Halloween even comes.

As far as sims 4 failing or not I do not know. I'm not really that big into watching to see if a game fails or not. I don't believe that Christmas sales are an indication of anything failing or else everything that was on sale would be a "failure." This seems impossible to me because almost everything goes on sale.
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    I don't think TS4 is doing too well. One "expansion" pack a year? Smh. L...
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

I think this is the biggest point against TS4. The sales are one thing, but one expansion per year is the real deal. That means they don't have enough people on staff to do more. And I'm inclined to think that if this game was selling like hotcakes, they'd be producing as much content per month as humanly possible like they did for TS3. Because they charged outrageous prices for everything and it still sold like wildfire. This one expansion - the money-maker - is just not a good model for the game.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    Ah the struggle of releasing content at the right rate.

At the start ts4 had packs coming out every month and what happened fans got mad because they didn't want content that often, mainly SPs but still content as a whole, because they didn't want to be paying for content every month. Then they started to spread them out and still are and now people complain not enough content is coming out. Yeah mainly it's the "not enough EPs" but for me I am no where near wondering when EP04 is coming out in want to know when GP04 is coming out :lol:

Also I just feel ike the main issue people have with the 1 EP a year thing is that they aren't getting what they want and worst they have to wait a year to see if they finally will get what they want and when they don't well they have to wait another year.
    edited November 2016
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

I think this is the biggest point against TS4. The sales are one thing, but one expansion per year is the real deal. That means they don't have enough people on staff to do more. And I'm inclined to think that if this game was selling like hotcakes, they'd be producing as much content per month as humanly possible like they did for TS3. Because they charged outrageous prices for everything and it still sold like wildfire. This one expansion - the money-maker - is just not a good model for the game.

I don't think the one EP a year is an issue if there is enough to make it worthwhile. Having said that, I tend to agree.

This is not a good model for this game. Shallow game is shallow.

I also agree that there is obviously not enough staff. If this is the best they could do and it was complex, difficult, and challenging for them to create within a year, something is obviously wrong.

They were making an expansion; not a new video game. The foundation should theoretically already be laid out.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Origin has followed suit on DLC's. Until 11/29
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/store
  • Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    Ok, so even if TS4 isn't doing so well that EA had to put it on sale, the question is..So what?

If EA decides to end the franchise here, will that make everyone happy? I ask, because this whole insistence on TS4 not doing well borders on the ridiculous at this point. We get it, the game leaves a lot to be desired, there needs to be improvement(a lot) but coming into every single thread to point out this fact is getting rather old. Op simply wanted to let other simmers know of the sale, not to turn this thread into yet another pointless debate on the flaws of the game.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,730 Member
    Origin had the base game for 9.99 usd. I just got city living yesterday from target. I finally was smart and just waited a little longer for a much better price.
  • JonalinJonalin Posts: 1,708 Member
    Didn't mean for this to turn into a debate on whether or not S4 is a good product/selling well, etc. I posted the sale for those who are interested in purchasing the games at a reduced price.

That's all :)
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    edited November 2016
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

If at least it was to make bigger and better EPs I would understand, but like did CL really feel like they spent a year on that? No, it doesn't have more than any other EP, there's nothing in the pack that really explain a year of work, in the Sims 3 they was doing 3-4 EPs a year, I know the Sims 3 and the Sims 4 isn't the same game and bla bla, but slowing down the production of EP while we are not getting better EPs isn't a good sign.

For the Sims 3 World Adventures, Ambitions and Late Night was within a year, Generations, Pets and Showtime was within a year and then Supernaturals, Seasons, University Life and Island Paradise was within a year and on the same year 4 months later Into the Future which was the last one.

And from that it's 3-4 packs a year and not 3 🐸🐸🐸🐸 packs, Ambitions and Late night are great packs, I love WA too, but I know some people didn't, but even then it's 2 great pack out of three, then Generations, Pets and Showtime, it's again 2 great packs out of three, with Supernaturals, Seasons, University Life and Island Paradise the three first was all great, if Island Paradise wasn't such a pain and was actually working it would have been great too and then Into the Future I'll admit I dunno if the majority of people loved it or not, but it was the last one, so it's not a big deal.

And then for the Sims 4 in a year we get CL, ... okay can we really say that quality wise it worth 3 packs like Generations, Pets and Showtime? Or Supernatural, Season, UL and IP? No, I'm pretty sure that from anyone that play both the Sims 3 and 4 they would pick any 3-4 packs from the Sims 3 over CL for the Sims 4.

So yea it does mean something that the EPs slowed down that much, while not getting better.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    @MissCherie OP has said she doesn't want this thread to become a debate. Please respect that.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,853 Member
    @MissCherie OP has said she doesn't want this thread to become a debate. Please respect that.

Good luck with that. :) Once a thread starts it's fair game. Regardless of what the OP intended. Main reason I mainly stick to commenting instead of starting new posts. Even the most innocuous threads turn into the great never ending debates. 4 vs 3, or 2, or 1. Or death to the Sims 4.
    edited November 2016
    It is a good thread because it gives people who were sitting on the fence, or who didn't want to pay full price for the EP, or who lacked the funding, another chance to add to their game. I know I am happy I paid 20 USD instead of 40 USD for something I thought could wait.
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    It is a good thread because it gives people who were sitting on the fence, or who didn't want to pay full price for the EP, or who lacked the funding, another chance to add to their game. I know I am happy I paid 20 USD instead of 40 USD for something I thought could wait.

I think it's a great thread for that as well. I personally was waiting for a good sale to get CL so I can have it when my new computer is built. I very much appreciate it when people post them on here. :)