Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Machinima by Simmerville - Jan 18: Mazaloom NEWS Year 231

Comments

• MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,372 Member
    Exciting! ..... and as always you are left with several unanswered questions :)
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Exciting! ..... and as always you are left with several unanswered questions :)

Thanks, @MonaSolstraale! I guess this series will always have unanswered questions, but I'm trying not to add to many new ;) And this season has only 2 episodes left, then most of the Villareal story will be concluded. If anything old stuff not related to Villareal has not yet been answered don't hesitate tol remind me :) Some of the answers might have been given in a too subtile way.

Anyway, thanks for watching!
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    Another quick news edition from my Region 12. This is an annual tv program covering Year 222. Each episode includes sections like news, celebrities, finance and family news, and although some featured sims exist in my game only, there are also some names you probably know well, such as Don Lothario and Penny Pizzazz.

New episodes of "The Free Will Show" and "As Sims Go By" are in the works :)
    Sorry for the long wait - but here is finally a brand new episode of my ongoing video series AS SIMS GO BY! This time Jill Potterfield keeps investigating the 33 years old drowning of the Duke von Windenburg, Joanna (Siobhan) finally visits her folks at Dresden Farm and Mandy faces some challenges in the jungle. And a lot more, of course! Only one more episode to go for this 2nd season, anyone who worry about loose ends should shout now :)

Lovely reunion with your many families <3
    As always added a good deal of drama B)
    Lovely reunion with your many families <3
    As always added a good deal of drama B)

Thanks for posting, Mona! Can't believe there is just one more episode for the season. Saved some drama for that episode, of course, now hoping those 16 minutes will be enough...
    Stay safe!
    Another year rounded, and here's Region 12 NEWS from the year 223! It's in the normal TV format and lasts only 3-4 minutes. Hosts present sections like news, job listings, celebrities, finance and family notes. All from my actual game.

It's been a long time! I released a new Free Will Show episode a few weeks ago, but forgot to post here :)

It's funny how some episodes turn out quite different. This time the 4 contenders talked and talked, something they normally don't do often. It got quite social, and all fine if it was not for one contender doing real badly point wise. Have a look, and it's all fine if you skip and jump a little, as long as you watch the start, the middle and the end ;)

Just a quick sneak peak from Gloom District Order's annual Gala Dinner. See who the noble guests are, and read about their gala attire and more on my blog. A glimpse of this exclusive event is featured in the upcoming season 2 closing episode of my video series As Sims Go By. To be released later this month. I had so much fun playing my nobility :)

Here's the 5th and final episode of AS SIMS GO BY 2nd season! Will Jill finally lock up the suspect? It's been fun sharing my take on the Villareal backstory. This episode is a mix of so much, also included a tiny bit ECO lifestyle. There's several romancing couple, and a wedding (on the sideline). See more from the Gloom Order gala dinner, and see a tiny corner of the gardens at Chateau Cavalier.

Lots of threads that I urge to follow in my game. Right now I'm very excited for the upcoming election, because I know that two of the existing Councilors will be replaced! :open_mouth:

I hope you enjoy this 17 min episode :)

edited August 2020
    I'm ready to start working on the 3rd season of my video series As Sims Go By! But - with very few views I think it's a good time to ask what I do wrong? I mean, I'd take a hint if lots of people watched but quit their session 1 minute in, that would tell me that many viewers disliked the content. But when it takes several months to reach just 20 views, my main concern is that most potential viewers never even started watching - they probably never even heard of the series.

The YT channel with all episodes (11 episodes so far)

I realize that more views is the only way to gain more views, so I feel kinda stuck. Thankfully I enjoy creating these videos, and will jump onto the 3rd season regardless of views. But - it would really mean a lot to me if I had some feedback on what I should improve or do differently to make the vids more enjoyable for others.

1. Is the recordings way too laggy? I know my computer is slow, but I think it's bearable. Maybe I'm wrong? If I free up some harddrive space and make sure no other software is running while recording, it will help a lot. When lagging, I normally forgot to close my web browser with 20-30 running tabs...

2. Is the story/stories confusing? I know there are many characters, that's why I include some families that were EA made, and why I try to stick to the same houses. Each house have their own music in the video, to make it easier to separate them. Should I let go of some of them, are they too many? I've started to add their name on screen, but frankly, I think it gets too much info and the viewer would need to pause the vid to read it all.

3. Is the camerawork bad? I don't think so, basically, but you never know. I do use some quick fixes every now and then, but mostly I use a detailed plan to capture what I need, and I often record 10 times more than I actually use.

4. Are the scenes too quick and stressful? I know I'm putting too much into each episode, meaning scenes must be limited to so and so many seconds, or the episode will be way too long. Before I start recording anything, I know how many seconds each scene will be, it's often 20-30 seconds only. There is never time to long scenes with no dialogues, which I really think would make each episode less stressful.

5. Is it confusing that I use Simlish with subtitles? I prefer actual gameplay, so I hardly use any poses or mods, and it feels better to me with original sound. If it's a problem to viewers, I'd like to know...

6. Do the subtitles go away too quickly? I've been experimenting a bit and the subtitles will visually be a bit easier to read (I hope) from season 3. The story is often dialogue driven, so I understand it might get confusing if a viewer misses too much. If watching the entire series I think it's easier to adapt the story, because details might have been mentioned in a previous episode, too.

7. Are the thumbs not good enough? I tried to design something recognizable, and the main color etc are adjusted per season. I know the main picture is important to drag in new viewers, so I might be better at using brighter and more connecting pictures.

I know this is much to ask, but if someone would help by watching a few episodes (start with Se1Ep1 or Se2Ep1), and shed some light on what should be worked on, I'd be extremely grateful. You don't need to comment on all 7 subjects above, any feedback is welcome. I had positive feedback previously, and some viewers obviously quit watching and never returned. I really would like to improve for the next season :)
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Hi @Simmerville, I've visited your blog and your YT channel, and I've found your gameplay interesting because you are very detailed and have a lot of worldbuilding. I will watch some of your episodes and give you my feedback.
    Hi @Simmerville, I've visited your blog and your YT channel, and I've found your gameplay interesting because you are very detailed and have a lot of worldbuilding. I will watch some of your episodes and give you my feedback.

Hello @NationalPokedex ! Awesome! I received your thorough comments already, and need to read it again and give it a day before I respond. Lots of inspiration, thanks! :)
    Latest edition of my annual Region 12 NEWS is up! The year is 224 and the video is 4 minutes.

The 5 years Council election is coming up, and I'm planning to do a tv special like I did 5 years ago, but (hopefully) in a format that requires a tad less graphics and work. Can't wait, because the real election is running while I produce the show, so I won't know the result until I edit end of the show :)
    It's time for the "NERD ALERT" badge again! The Council Election Year 225 has finally taken place, and the Election Day was documented in the Reg12 NEWS Election special by news anchor Paolo Caliente (and reporter Sabrina Grossing?)! It's nearly 10 minutes of voting results, which might be a bit overwhelming if you don't know any of my sims, but if you watch some of my vids, you will probably recognize a few candidates, and perhaps hoping for someone to win. Any way, I was thinking the election itself might inspire others to run such stuff, too. It's quite fun, and it builds the community in a good and strong way as residents suddenly will get intentions and you will see various values and community aspects that you can build on further, later.

At the election 5 sim years ago all 5 Councilors were re-elected. But this time 2 of them were not even electable, so in the end of the show there are new faces on the Reg 12 Council, yay! This will of course affect my As Sims Go By series, too, that basically takes place at the Council House.
    edited August 2020
    I do not know if you have got answers to any of your many questions and may not be the right one to answer as I am already a fan of the series.
    I love that you use Simlish with subtitles, but it might require a little more of your viewers. Your style is not that easy to swallow as it requires some attention from your audience.
    There are many families to relate to. I had not at all discovered that the different families / houses each have their own melody. I do not know if it matters to some viewers.
    I do not know how to hit more viewers but for me it is interesting that there is a context and a plot I can not quite figure out.
    I have recommended your films in my Danish network, but unfortunately we are not that many members, so I am afraid that it does not help much.
    I hope you get some more feadback from others on your web page.
    NB: Have you tried contacting Simlich Television and Bananasims, for example, about their experiences?
    I have just made a website and it is my experience one should not be afraid to ask those who have already found their way.
    Thanks for feedback @MonaSolstraale ! I appreciate so much that you still support my vids!

I've been giving my series lots of thinking these past weeks, and I will probably do some changes for season 3. Fewer families per episode + less going on in general. I have too many ideas, and I never was good at leaving whatever happened before, so it's been like a snowball growing and growing. I'll find a way to split it up a bit, and rather produce more vids but with fewer stories in each. ASGB will go on, though :)

I don't have time to do the detailed planning until September, but my mind is working on it while I do other stuff ;)
    I still think the San Myshuno Undercover was some of the best, so it might be an idea to try with smaller number of families.
    I do not make films and am unfortunately not that much of a help, but I have a feeling that it is on Twitter it is happening right now if you want to try to hit wider.
    I still think the San Myshuno Undercover was some of the best, so it might be an idea to try with smaller number of families.
    I do not make films and am unfortunately not that much of a help, but I have a feeling that it is on Twitter it is happening right now if you want to try to hit wider.

Thanks. I'm not on Twitter, but you might be right that it's a hot spot. I tried Tumblr but I think it's the same everywhere, ppl press the "like" but don't actually click links to watch the content. There are probably too much on each stream/wall to click on everything, and sometimes ppl just click to acknowledge what someone they follow did publish. Videos might be a bit special though, it's like requesting the other person to spend quite a lot of time on something by following that link, much more demanding than just stating a point of view in 4 sentences or sharing one picture with no clicking art all. Now I hope that my new way to make my future videos might get a slightly stronger appeal on YT.

Re "San Myshuno Undercover" - I really hope to complete that little series (know I said that a year ago!). Not the least when thinking of all the features we've got since I made the first episodes. We did not eve have weather back then - I can easily imagine that a rainy day will match the mood of that series quite well :)
    Hello! This post might not be Machinima at all, but as it's new content for my YouTube channel, I'll just make a quick notice :)

20200922.jpg

The other day I was looking through some of my Screenshots folder, and thought it would be fun to share! I've got gigabytes in there, so I'll be able to share forever ;) So, I'm running a new just-for-fun series, "Behind the Scenes" where each episode is simply 2 minutes of random screenshots covering anything from portraits and builds to landscapes and tech setups for films etc. There will be short subtitles just hinting names and location. Weekly updates (unless something else is released). no story = no problem if you don't watch them all.

Read more about it on my blog, or head over to YouTube to watch the first 3 episodes :)

Uhm, what happened to September and first 11 days of October? I'm behind schedule, but hey-ho...

This Fall I've been thinking a lot about my As Sims Go By series, that has been running for 2 full seasons with a total of 11 pretty long and detailed episodes. There will be changes, and I'm more or less done scripting the first episode of season 3. It won't air until November though.

I'll try to make the stories less complex and each episode featuring less people. But, I've also concluded that with few viewers I can just as well focus more on having fun while creating these videos, than on reaching out to the entire world. It'n not likely to reach a biger audience regardless of what I adjust.

Season 3 will have 5 episodes, each with just one of the 5 Councillors' family in focus - nothing from the other houses unless the main character visit them. I'll try avoiding stressed scenes, giving more room for dialogues as well as silence, including capturing more of the environment/setting etc. I know it will be very hard though as sims are horrible actors as they never keep the same expression/mood for more than say 4 seconds. If seated they will get up to sit elsewhere during a dialogue, for no good reason - while free will is off. Longer scenes will be much harder to record, but I'll give it a try.

In other words, future episodes will be easier to watch without knowing much about the previous story. It's still a series, but there will be a main subject that starts and stops in the same episode. We'll still have a few episodes from the Council House, and some scenes involving the secret cartel, so the main new thing might be a lot more everyday family scenes from just one home.

Meanwhile, there are now a total of 6 videos of my new "Behind the scenes" series with pictures from my screenshots folder. And - tomorrow day 12 of the Free Will Show will be released! Yay!
    Finally - here's a new episode from the Free Will Show! This closes season 2 after just 6 episodes (8 were planned originally), as several new and dramatic changes will take place from day 13. I can't wait to get on with season 3, which will open late November.

On day 12 Brenda is the Sim in Focus, and she gets a mission alone out of the house.

edited November 2020
    A quick reminder that the Free Will Show will be back on November 22nd with new dangers added!
    Here's a quick teaser :)

Season 3 of the Free Will Show is here! More drama added as I'm eager to see minimum 1 contender leaving the house this season - dead or alive! Hopefully the Cowplant will help on that during the next 6 episodes! :)

edited December 2020
    Just a quick reminder that I still publish weekly short videos based on content from my screenshots folder! This weekend I published the 12th video, each with their own theme. In a few weeks the videos will no longer be themes, but contain whatever randomness might await in that folder... The perfect quick break from whatever you need a break from :)

Season 3 of As Sims Go By will air later this month. First episode is half way done, and should be ready right after Christmas :) I'm also planning a short stand-alone Christmas movie that should of course be released before Christmas :)