Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game suddenly running horrendously...

I've had the Sims 4 since January 2015 and while I've experienced a few freezes and crashes, I've never experienced something like this. The past two days, whenever I open up the game, it freezes and is "Not Responding" very frequently and makes the game unplayable, frankly. I run the game on a laptop so normally I wouldn't expect optimal performance, but the thing is, it used to run beautifully. Now, for some reason, I can't play because of the frequency of the not-responding-ness.
I have no mods and no cc, so I know that's not the problem. I wanted to buy City Living but now I'm afraid the game will slow down even more... Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited November 2016
    1. If you were previously using 64-bit Sims on a PC, check that Origin hasn't reverted you to 32.
    2. Play with Origin offline
    3. Drag your Tray file (Library) to the desktop and restart your game. Your saves and Gallery uploads will not be affected, and you can put the Tray folder back when you need to actually access it.

QA are on the issue. Hopefully, we'll get a fix soon. However, if you want to leave a large Tray folder out of the game and put individual Library items in when you need them, I recommend Sims 4 Tray Importer for organizing the files. Mine now live in individual Zips with meaningful names :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    I've had the Sims 4 since January 2015 and while I've experienced a few freezes and crashes, I've never experienced something like this. The past two days, whenever I open up the game, it freezes and is "Not Responding" very frequently and makes the game unplayable, frankly. I run the game on a laptop so normally I wouldn't expect optimal performance, but the thing is, it used to run beautifully. Now, for some reason, I can't play because of the frequency of the not-responding-ness.
    I have no mods and no cc, so I know that's not the problem. I wanted to buy City Living but now I'm afraid the game will slow down even more... Does anyone have any ideas?

I have the same problem, but my laptop is not a gaming laptop so I assume that's part of my problem. I can't really play since the last patch.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,593 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

I have the same problem, but my laptop is not a gaming laptop so I assume that's part of my problem. I can't really play since the last patch.

Hello @SheriSim57
    If you were previously playing the game in 64 bit mode before the recent patch , try checking to see if the game has reset your settings after the patch back to 32 bit mode instead of 64 bit mode.
    Go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture.
    Click on “Game Properties”. Click on Advanced Launch options.
    Then there are options to either change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”
    Or change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 64-bit”
    Try changing it back to 64 bit mode if it has been reset to 32 bit mode

Playing in offline mode may help

Simmers have also been finding that their tray folder ( which holds the files of the sims and households that they have in their library ) has been causing issues.
    Try moving your tray folder to the desktop , then test to see if the issues remain. Don't delete the tray folder though, because the tray folder contains all the sims and builds that you have saved to your library.
  • ashleyl2203ashleyl2203 Posts: 322 Member
    Same here. Im on a desktop and have only ever had a crash or 2 since the release of Sims 4. Now I pull up the game and don't even do anything and it crashes. Can't even play it anymore.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,593 Member
    edited November 2016
    Same here. Im on a desktop and have only ever had a crash or 2 since the release of Sims 4. Now I pull up the game and don't even do anything and it crashes. Can't even play it anymore.

Hello @ashleyl2203
    If you haven't done it alresdy, try updating to the latest patch and see if that helps. There has been fixes in it that have helped with playing the game.

Try switching between 32 bit mode and 64 bit mode and see if that helps. Try playing in both modes and see if one mode is better than the other.
    Go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture.
    Click on “Game Properties”. Click on Advanced Launch options.
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”
    Or change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 64-bit”

If you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if the issues are still there. If it has helped with the issues, put your mods/ CC back into the newly generated mods folder that is in the sims 4 folder one by one or in batches and testing after each one to see which is the causes of the problem.

Check that your graphics drivers are up to date.

If after doing all the above things the issue still continues, could you please post your DxDiag info here. It will take multiple posts.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    Then copy and paste the information from where you saved it, to here in this thread