Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Jacoban or Peteran?

SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
This is not a thread about which faction you favor or prefer to play (though feel free to mention that, too, if you like).

Rather, as in regards to our own games, as the sonorous tones of Sir Patrick Stewart reminds us as we load, "You are the Watcher."

With that in mind, which faction knows you better? Are you looking out for the well-being of all your Sims? Or are those who fail to meet your expectations likely to be punished? Which sort of Watcher are you?

I am decidedly Peteran. I try to keep my Sims out of trouble, and even bad-guy NPCs get a second chance. I had my Peteran Priest, Prior Jevon, convert the lord of Kingland to the Peteran faith, and Lord Simrey has ruled accordingly. Even the forest brigand he had to deal with got sent to the stocks, first. Only when Lord Simrey saw that he'd not change his ways was he killed - and that in a duel, not in the Pit.

When I do add my Jacoban Cathedral, I may feel differently... or I may just decide Jacobans get the Watcher they believe in, and look for ways to make my Jacoban's life a burden to him. >:) We'll see.

Comments

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    "The watcher, you ask? Oh, he must be a bard or something. Sure, he dislikes killing sims, so people might inclined to deduce that what the Peterans say reflects the truth better. But he won't hesitate to make sims' lifes miserable "for the sake of a good story"! So don't start me on the watcher, alright?"
    - random sim from my sims medieval game ;)

"The watcher, huh? Truth is, none of the medieval religions got that right as they were not supposed to. Having been aware of the truth in that period of time would have greatly spoiled the great game. You see, the watcher is no seperate individual. All of us are part of the watcher. He turns to the world and it comes to life. He is villain and benefactor, victim and offender at the same moment, always judging the act, never judging the actor. When he turns away, he's pulling back what he put into the world to give it life into himself. That's the great game. We are the watcher."
    - mystic from my normal sims games

Truth is, I dislike how they decided to pretend sims were self aware and knew of us. There is no Dustin or Angela, there's only me that plays Dustin and Angela as an actor who is also director and script writer.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Interesting perspective. I will send my Sims into the red if it is -what they would do-, which tends to be entertaining for me and educational for them, but in general I am a Focus drill-sergeant: "Top off that green bar! Be productive!"

Things I haven't seen my priests of either faction preach that they would, if I really could whisper in their ears:
    • Don't eat gruel. You have plenty of food in your inventory, and if you don't at least go pick some wildflowers and make Seed Porridge (and never mind that that is pretty much what gruel atually was - it's a +5 for 5 hours, not a -5).
    • Make your bed. You have a nice bedspread - don't leave it looking dishevelled. I have to look at it.
    • Respect other Sims' privacy. I don't care if you are a Quest NPC - drink the Queen's private stock of hypocras and you'll learn all about public stocks next time I play her.
    • Don't come and play the fiddle where my monarch is trying to use the Tactical Map, or you'll be the Pit Beast's next meal.
    • No, you really don't need to watch that swordfight. Please continue to cultivate your friendships or improve your craft or whatever it was I had you doing.

Probably more, but those will do for starters. :)
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    but in general I am a Focus drill-sergeant: "Top off that green bar! Be productive!"
    I know that, too :) I mean, I TRY to stay in character and only let my sims do what I think they should do according to their personality and situation, but the temptation to just use the best objects is often too strong.
    Not strictly Sims medieval-related, but perhaps a good example: my prison camps usually have the best beds, showers and food. I justify that by saying that the wardens want these sims to work all-around clock and not spent their time sleeping. CASt (or cc when playing sims 2) makes it super-easy to use the good stuff, but make it look worn down and bad quality. So is that the sign of a peteran watcher (because gamewise the sims's needs are always filled) or a jakoban one (because in the story I weave the sims are miserable and efficieny is topmost priority)? Can't decide.

• SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    Not going to lie, if I make a king convert to Peteranism, I make the entire kingdom decorated with Peteran decor. If I make the king Jacoban, then it's usually personal faith. I've had tyrants and benevolent rulers of both faiths.
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    And I really don't care. I just finished an ambition, where I married the Peteran male priest to the Jacobian female priest, and let them live in the Jacobian church. A very good relationship and marriage, too. I love when I come so far, that I can let them fly into the air, because they are chosen by the watcher. A lovely and special detail.
  • 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    I prefer the down to earth Peterans and their kindly ways, but really, Jacobians eat them for breakfast.
  • korniwalkkorniwalk Posts: 4 New Member
    Not going to lie, if I make a king convert to Peteranism, I make the entire kingdom decorated with Peteran decor. If I make the king Jacoban, then it's usually personal faith. I've had tyrants and benevolent rulers of both faiths
  • lillibattenberglillibattenberg Posts: 1,279 Member
    I'm unequivocally a Peteran Watcher. So much so that I'm chill with my Jacobans. Heck, I've even brought in the whole Jacoban/Peteran dichotomy with one of my sims, who's literally been told personally that the Watcher loves him, but is staying Jacoban anyway because he prefers/needs the Jacoban routine.
    Jacob_Banner.png
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited January 2018
    I noticed that the arch at the back of the monastery sanctuary perfectly fits a bread oven. That, and the fact that my Peteran Priest is a drunkard, encouraged me to set up a refectory at the back of the room. Now people coming for the sermon can at least have some fresh bread and good ale before the service. I try to put out a big bowl of vegetable stew, as well. Sometimes Prior Jevon cooks, sometimes I encourage other Heros to do so - like my blacksmith, here.

GNT7TSy.jpg

At the Jacoban place, we're a bit more cut-throat. But I do have a chest (story-wise, a money-box for donations) where I will change the outfit of Jacoban parishoners if they look too frumpy. Have to show those Peteran swine-herds who the Watcher likes best! :D
    edited January 2018
    You are so right. It is fun to experiment with placing stuff. For example placing write tables around makes a lot of difference to the gameplay, too. I placed a write table in the doctor clinic. The doctor can't use it but the assistant can, which makes it much easier for the doctor himself to get work done at archives or work table. Like the business man can have a write table to write down his/her sales and income, which gives them some xp.

In the inn I sell the bar and stools and place two common end tables in stead. It makes it much easier for the barmaid to place the beercans.
  • Nita90Nita90 Posts: 17 Member
    Nice question! Well, for some reason I prefer the Jacoban religion, I love their clothing style and the cathedral is stunningly beautiful. However, I think (hope) the Peterans have a more accurate image of me as the Watcher. I am helping my sims to succeed in their quests and have a comfortable, happy life, I hate to see them suffer and get hurt.
    Nita90 wrote: »
    Nice question! Well, for some reason I prefer the Jacoban religion, I love their clothing style and the cathedral is stunningly beautiful. However, I think (hope) the Peterans have a more accurate image of me as the Watcher. I am helping my sims to succeed in their quests and have a comfortable, happy life, I hate to see them suffer and get hurt.

It shows, that you are new to the game. Playing more will teach you that hurting and suffering is a huge part of this game, as well as keeping your sims happy.
  • Nita90Nita90 Posts: 17 Member
    @Simsister2004 Well, it depends, I've been playing with the game for 5 years, so I would not particularly consider myself new to the game :) I do know some suffering and sacrifice are inevitable to succeed in some of the quests and to build up a successful kingdom. What I do not like is "pointless torture", like sending sims into the pit "just for fun" (if a quest or an achievement requies so, or if a doomsword piece is needed, well, that's a different story), or simply enjoying the sight of the sims dying of various reasons. Also when there are options to choose from, I generally prefer the good/kind/right path instead of the evil or cruel ways. Not to mention that a beautiful environment, comfortable furniture, great meals, entertainment and good social relationships also help in keeping the heroes' focus high, which is essential when the goal is a platinum quest. But everyone has their own gaming style, I guess. :)
    I partly agree, except for the fact, that throwing them into the pit is needed for several benefits like the doomsword and having a pitbeast baby. But I always make sure to feed the monster and save the game on beforehand, if the monster is really mad, LOL.
  • WitchirisWitchiris Posts: 67 Member
    I'm more of a Peteran. But when I want to punish sims or be a wrathful Watcher I build and play Jacoban.