Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Inventory management!

Okay, I tried to play Sims 4 again and I see that the inventory management is still, for lack of a better word, a complete and total mess. There's no sort function, weird stacking, and it's even worse if you're trying to fertilize your garden or fish with bait. If you can't figure out a way to stack consistently, at least please sort by something other than "random things stuck everywhere with no rhyme or reason."

This really needs fixing, especially since the game has a shared inventory in many cases. Collecting cards is a pain for this reason. I thought to myself, okay, so I'll need to use separate containers for cards and for gems and for other collectables. Only to be met with the shared inventory.

Comments

• VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    I agree completely. When I gave the game another try in spring I noticed that too and it really annoyed me (definitely didn’t help me to want to keep playing TS4), and I created a thread about it, so I’ll just repost my opinion here:
    I wrote:
    I really dislike how the inventory system works in this game. In TS3 we could sort inventories like we wanted, even keep the same items separately when needed (they stack by default, but it’s possible to take one item and put it outside the stack). When WA came out we got chests, and each chest had its own inventory, which tremendously helped with storing harvestables/collectibles in a logical way. For example, in one family I have separate chests for fruits, vegetables, herbs etc., gems, metals, fish and a ‘temporary chest’ where I put items I want to sell in the consignment store. All items are sorted in a way that lets me find each one easily, e.g. gems by colour, and the game remembers how I sorted them (i.e. they aren’t sorted in a different way when I launch the game again, switch households, travel or something). The only shared inventory I’ve noticed is applied to fridges – independently of how many fridges you have they all have the same inventory. And that is a pretty good system, I can avoid mess in my sims’ inventories, and I don’t need to spend ages on finding an item I want to use for example in a potion. An improvement I’d like to see would be automatically sorting by type/price/when it was added/whatever, it’d let me sort my items faster, but I can live without it.
    TS4 is a different story. I can’t sort inventories at all, and each time I open them their order is randomised, and the worst of all – chests have shared inventory, so I can’t have a separate chest for particular types of collectibles, which is extremely annoying. I downloaded mods that let me keep more items in the fridge and enable toyboxes as chests, but it’s not enough. It’s almost game breaking for people interested in collecting and gardening like me, because I end up with a huge mess. I keep crystals and fossils in the garden, metals on a dresser, MySims trophies in a chest, frogs on shelves in the basement (one copy of each of those), insects in a toybox and harvestables in the fridge. As I mentioned the order of items is random, I can’t do anything with it, finding something takes ages and the whole system is just extremely inconvenient, incomparably worse to what I have in TS3. How many limitations TS4 has and how little thought was put into certain areas of the game is just beyond belief.

I know that TS4 will never be the game for me and my feedback here is mostly related to my hopes for TS5 being better and involving more things that players want, but actually, even if I gave up on TS4 (I’ll probably play it again after its development is finished if it gets some interesting content in the future to see how the game feels when completed, but I very likely won’t end up hooked, and I’ll just play older iterations, especially my favourite TS2), I think it should be good at something, collecting seems the best area I guess, as there are many things to collect.
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    You put it better than I did. I'm just surprised in this day and age, with a game where you collect so much junk, that there's no better management of said junk. The elements table is great -- even having something like that for every type of collectable would be an improvement, though it still wouldn't address things like trying to fertilize plants/fish with bait with the harvests coming up with no organization at all -- including same crop type/level being split into many different stacks and then scattered everywhere on the list.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    Okay, I tried to play Sims 4 again and I see that the inventory management is still, for lack of a better word, a complete and total mess. There's no sort function, weird stacking, and it's even worse if you're trying to fertilize your garden or fish with bait. If you can't figure out a way to stack consistently, at least please sort by something other than "random things stuck everywhere with no rhyme or reason."

This really needs fixing, especially since the game has a shared inventory in many cases. Collecting cards is a pain for this reason. I thought to myself, okay, so I'll need to use separate containers for cards and for gems and for other collectables. Only to be met with the shared inventory.

I so much agree. I complained about the clunky, unintuitive, life-draining, rage-inducing inventory system 2 years ago when I first started playing the game and was trying to wrap my head around how awful the whole game was. I was told that I was being too critical because I wanted storage and inventory management that made sense, wasn't a time sink to deal with, and didn't make playing the game a friggin' chore.

Jeez, just moving produce from my sim's inventory to the fridge made me groan with frustration... and then you had everything else just scattered around in the sims' inventory like bits of styrofoam blown up on a nasty beach.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    I would love some adjustments to the inventory system. I especially want to be able to put different ingredients in different fridges and not have everything show up in one fridge. The chests we got for last year's Halloween challenge are handy for storing various items.
  • meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    I'll have to agree on this point. It drives me crazy when I want to fertilize a plant and it makes me scroll through stacks of 1-4 just to find the fertilizer I want to use. Especially since there is no need whatsoever to break the stacks. Just a search function would go a long way, but the entire system is a sad joke.
  • YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    I totally agree. Not to mention the AWFUL family inventory when you have 94583 frickin' bananas or whatever and you have to delete them ONE BY ONE.

-Yarden.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Yes, the inventory system definitely needs improvement...especially in the case of chests. I wanted to have separate chests for every category of collectables (crystals, metals, fossils, etc.) but instead, if something is in one chest, it's in all of them. It makes no sense, like they're all linked to the exact same pocket dimension or something! If they at least fix chests, then I'll be mostly satisfied.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • MiaA90MiaA90 Posts: 31 New Member
    I agree with this. e.g. I would love them to add the "put away all" option to books again like they had (I think) in TS3 or TS2?. If they already have this please let me know how as I have hovered over them, tried clicking them and tried clicking bookcase but no options for "all" I tend to buy a lot of books all in one go and have a bookcase/shelf in each room. i.e. one in kitchen for cooking books (may seem a bit much but hey, that's me!!). Dragging them one by one into book shelf or clicking put away on each one seems a bit...time draining. It's seriously minor thing but still, It's something I would like changed/added to the inventory.
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    edited October 2016
    This..oh so this. Fertilizing plants is a nightmare of scrolling and clicking when you have a few things in the sims personal inventory. smh. I like the chests but it would be really good if they were individual and not linked that way we could have storage for plants, another for crystals etc etc.

Or just more storage options actually as having linked storage can be good in some instances.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    All I am going to say bout this is > Yup I agree with everyone on this thread, :).
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I just wonder if it's ever going to be addressed at all. It is by far the worst inventory system I have ever seen in any game. But is it even seen as an issue? Or do most people who play Sims 4 just not care at all?
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I suppose if you do not play a gardening sim then it might not be such a pressing concern as you can place a lot of items in those chests. I always garden with every sim so for me it is an utter nightmare or clicking and scrolling. Talk about RSI inducing.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    I suppose if you do not play a gardening sim then it might not be such a pressing concern as you can place a lot of items in those chests. I always garden with every sim so for me it is an utter nightmare or clicking and scrolling. Talk about RSI inducing.

Yea, but even the chest are meh, the inventory is shared by all chests which is annoying and those don't have a sort option either, I hope they will improve the system cause yea it's annoying on some sims.
    gCQKjq4.png