We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
February 23rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Apparently they couldn't be bothered ...

Comments

  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    post with my video got taken down, because the video contained profanity. Anyone that wants to watch it, just go to my channel. :I
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    post with my video got taken down, because the video contained profanity. Anyone that wants to watch it, just go to my channel. :I

    Is that the video that you said would always be there? Too bad. >:)
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »
    post with my video got taken down, because the video contained profanity. Anyone that wants to watch it, just go to my channel. :I

    Is that the video that you said would always be there? Too bad. >:)

    What? Think you're talking about something super old. It was in this topic, I just read out the article in-case article goes down. Accidentally swore once, rewatched to confirm, fair enough. Still think that it's nice to leave a post to say where the thing went in case anyone was wondering >_<
  • DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    teaa5 wrote: »
    I'm so tired of hearing how limited the engine is and how hard everything is to make. If this is the best they can do with it, I say scrap it and move to sims 5 with a new and better engine because ts4 is a joke.

    The scariest thing.. they could make sims 5 even worse than sims 4... with more limitations...

    Honestly after thinking about it, I seriously doubt we are going to have a TS5. Thinking about the "cashing out" discussion it seems like after the online concept for TS4 bombed out on them they decided to just slash the development budget to bare bones levels and released the game just to recoup their losses. Now all EP development is just icing on the cake to them. It really feels like EA is just done with The Sims.

    I hope this will be the last sims game. I just hope once they stop some other company will step in and give us THE Life simulation that all the fans have been asking for.

    I hope so as well. Its surprising to me that there isn't already competition for The Sims. This game is a huge cashcow. I'm not sure why other developers aren't already trying to get a slice of that. The interest and profit are obviously there, just need a developer to invest in it.
  • MinkFurMinkFur Posts: 164 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hmm, I wonder how much money out of the budget of The Sims 3 (assuming this game had a budget) was used in the sims 3? Were they given more money to use, because the sims 3 is choc-full of different animations. Since they seem to have a tight budget, why did they invest that money into talking toilets? I don't care you enjoy the Sims 4 more than the other games, i'm sure we can all agree on the fact that they should've invested more in the "core features" (elevators, apartments, festivals, etc.), and then added the other stuff (talking toilets, the new npcs, cas stuff, etc.)
    newsig_zps30nrzgoc.png
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    I hope so as well. Its surprising to me that there isn't already competition for The Sims. This game is a huge cashcow. I'm not sure why other developers aren't already trying to get a slice of that. The interest and profit are obviously there, just need a developer to invest in it.

    Because it's an extremely costly game to build, so Indies are out and it's a huge risk for any other AAA company as the spot is already taken by EA. If the franchise went down, there would be a gap in the market with a chance that another company would have a go at it. Though remember that after theme hospital, there's still a gap in the market for a good hospital sim, but with it being so niche, nobody even wants to try to fill it.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    This can be your last sims game . Just stop buying it. No one is forcing you to buy it. Save yourself the heartache and just stop buying it.
  • DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    I hope so as well. Its surprising to me that there isn't already competition for The Sims. This game is a huge cashcow. I'm not sure why other developers aren't already trying to get a slice of that. The interest and profit are obviously there, just need a developer to invest in it.

    Because it's an extremely costly game to build, so Indies are out and it's a huge risk for any other AAA company as the spot is already taken by EA. If the franchise went down, there would be a gap in the market with a chance that another company would have a go at it. Though remember that after theme hospital, there's still a gap in the market for a good hospital sim, but with it being so niche, nobody even wants to try to fill it.

    I doubt it is that costly to build, especially compared to other video games. The game itself and its mechanics are pretty simplistic.

    The risk, well depends how they measure the risk, but the audience and interest is obviously there given how well the series has done.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited October 2016
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    I doubt it is that costly to build, especially compared to other video games. The game itself and its mechanics are pretty simplistic.

    The risk, well depends how they measure the risk, but the audience and interest is obviously there given how well the series has done.

    it would be really hard to build for an indie. Most indie games only need like 10-20 animations and it's much easier to code a monster on a pre-set path for a hack and slash game than it is to do full AI.
    For example, for City Living they did talk about flocking for birds. Flocking is very hard to program accurately. It is technologically impressive. However just as with fish AI in Call of Duty, I would say that this addition was completely not needed. Nobody is going to marvel background pigeons as much as they're going to appreciate actual gameplay.

    As for audience and interest, how many copies TS4 sold? 5 million? An AAA company will call that niche, despite the potential amount of people that would buy a better simulation title. It's much easier to measure how many people would like a new shooter, or a new adventure game.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    I hope so as well. Its surprising to me that there isn't already competition for The Sims. This game is a huge cashcow. I'm not sure why other developers aren't already trying to get a slice of that. The interest and profit are obviously there, just need a developer to invest in it.

    Because it's an extremely costly game to build, so Indies are out and it's a huge risk for any other AAA company as the spot is already taken by EA. If the franchise went down, there would be a gap in the market with a chance that another company would have a go at it. Though remember that after theme hospital, there's still a gap in the market for a good hospital sim, but with it being so niche, nobody even wants to try to fill it.

    I doubt it is that costly to build, especially compared to other video games. The game itself and its mechanics are pretty simplistic.

    The risk, well depends how they measure the risk, but the audience and interest is obviously there given how well the series has done.

    It is. That's what Paradox answered to the fans who asked them for a Life Sim. They compared the City Sim genre to a refrigerator you knock over in several steps (Cities In Motion 1/2, Cities Skylines), and the Life Sim genre to a very, very big fridge.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Spending effort in a talking toilet is ok for them. A working elevator and buildable apartment buildings, what should be important points in this expansion: they didn't care about. Festivals: much of it is about doing the same things outside... The choices (the dev team is making) are the worst possible. :/
    Spending effort in a talking toilet is ok for them. A working elevator and buildable apartment buildings, what should be important points in this expansion: they didn't care about. Festivals: much of it is about doing the same things outside... The choices (the dev team is making) are the worst possible. :/

    Devs must be really lonely animating a talking toilet instead of giving us a functional elevator.
    I would sincerely wish I could spy on one of their meetings when they are deciding what to add and what is not necessary for a future dlc. I imagine it being something like that:

    Simguru1- The thing that can't be missing from an apartments kind of EP is an elevator!

    Simguru2- Nah...too obvious, who would want a functioning elevator? I have a better idea! How about a talking toilet?

    Simguru3, Simguru4, and Simguru5: YAY! THAT'S HILARIOUS! Let's make the elevator just an illusion and focus on a talking toilet! They are going to love it!!!

    You know you sound like this:

    "Why aren't there more music in the game? Can't the animators make more?"

    A Talking Toilet is FX. It would have literally taken two hours for them to add some effects to an already existing object.
    Creating a new hairstyle would take more time.

    Some of you should at least be informed before you start throwing hate. Sure, an Elevator would have been nice. But the FX team isn't going to make it.

    I was making a joke, not "throwing hate". Chill out!

    You can't complain in one post that EA is disrespecting players and in the very next post disrespect them and call it a joke.
    They quoted my second post, therefore, I answer about my second post. Also, I didn't disrespect anybody. I should be able ti say how I feel about the interview and then make a joke about the situation without being accused of "throwing hate".
    This is the last thing I will post about this subject as I don't want to waste my time with such a pointless conversation.

    Happy and chilled simming.


    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    edited October 2016
    mirta000 wrote: »
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    I doubt it is that costly to build, especially compared to other video games. The game itself and its mechanics are pretty simplistic.

    The risk, well depends how they measure the risk, but the audience and interest is obviously there given how well the series has done.

    it would be really hard to build for an indie. Most indie games only need like 10-20 animations and it's much easier to code a monster on a pre-set path for a hack and slash game than it is to do full AI.
    For example, for City Living they did talk about flocking for birds. Flocking is very hard to program accurately. It is technologically impressive. However just as with fish AI in Call of Duty, I would say that this addition was completely not needed. Nobody is going to marvel background pigeons as much as they're going to appreciate actual gameplay.

    As for audience and interest, how many copies TS4 sold? 5 million? An AAA company will call that niche, despite the potential amount of people that would buy a better simulation title. It's much easier to measure how many people would like a new shooter, or a new adventure game.

    I dunno, I think you give The Sims too much credit. We don't have anything even remotely coming close to "full AI", the sims wonder around randomly interacting with objects to play a pre-defined animation. That isn't exactly something that would be taxing to do. I suppose for an indie developer the game would be moderately difficult but for another AAA developer it wouldn't be any trouble at all.

    I don't know what the 'bird thing' is about, and I agree if it was something time consuming for Maxis to do it was completely pointless to do to begin with.

    And 5 million copies is a pretty big deal to any developer. Some AAA dev studies even with popular titles have never come close to that.
  • asouthernwriterasouthernwriter Posts: 1,041 Member
    Seriously whoever is making all the final decisions needs to be slapped. Are you guys budget that freaking low that you omit the most simplest thing? The elevator should have been the easiest thing to do, but instead they rather waste their time on a freaking talking toilet. If someone enjoys the pack then that's good, but I won't waste my money. Disappointment after disappointment, it's sad.

    Well we still don't have doorbells, laptops, washer/dryers, other basics, and dare I say toddlers so it's nothing new that they would rather spend time on something that isn't all that useful IMO. It may be cool, but long term I wouldn't use it.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    I dunno, I think you give The Sims too much credit. We don't have anything even remotely coming close to "full AI", the sims wonder around randomly interacting with objects to play a pre-defined animation. That isn't exactly something that would be taxing to do. I suppose for an indie developer the game would be moderately difficult but for another AAA developer it wouldn't be any trouble at all.

    I don't know what the 'bird thing' is about, and I agree if it was something time consuming for Maxis to do it was completely pointless to do to begin with.

    And 5 million copies is a pretty big deal to any developer. Some AAA dev studies even with popular titles have never come close to that.

    for popular games you're dealing with 10s of millions really. As for credit, depends on the complexity required. If you're not building another TS4 (which would be pointless to do), but want something closer to TS2, it's incredibly complex in how every non controlable sim acts according to personality and how much information you will store about them.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Well or the sim could fade out as he gets to the elevator door, not yards away from it.
  • DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    I dunno, I think you give The Sims too much credit. We don't have anything even remotely coming close to "full AI", the sims wonder around randomly interacting with objects to play a pre-defined animation. That isn't exactly something that would be taxing to do. I suppose for an indie developer the game would be moderately difficult but for another AAA developer it wouldn't be any trouble at all.

    I don't know what the 'bird thing' is about, and I agree if it was something time consuming for Maxis to do it was completely pointless to do to begin with.

    And 5 million copies is a pretty big deal to any developer. Some AAA dev studies even with popular titles have never come close to that.

    for popular games you're dealing with 10s of millions really. As for credit, depends on the complexity required. If you're not building another TS4 (which would be pointless to do), but want something closer to TS2, it's incredibly complex in how every non controlable sim acts according to personality and how much information you will store about them.

    10's of millions is pretty rarefied air for video games. I think some of Nintendo's Mario titles had 10's of millions, GTA manged over 50 or 60 I think, even Skyrim was still barely in the 20 million range. Point is, to reach that level we are talking about some of the best selling games of all time. A game doesn't have to be one of the "best selling of all time" to be profitable.

    Getting to 5 million is a pretty huge hit.

    And no, TS, even TS2 isn't incredibly complicated. The life simulating aspects of it would be the easiest parts of the game. The games mentioned above like Skyrim do all that and so much more. In fact a generic npc from a game like Skyrim is probably far more complicated than your average sim.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited October 2016
    I kind of like this pack I mean it's not what I truly want clearly but it's something again I never played AL so this would be new for myself. I also like that we finally get consoles back even though I personally believe they should've been in the base game but there back.
    Post edited by Briana2425 on
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    And no, TS, even TS2 isn't incredibly complicated. The life simulating aspects of it would be the easiest parts of the game. The games mentioned above like Skyrim do all that and so much more. In fact a generic npc from a game like Skyrim is probably far more complicated than your average sim.

    have you tried programming? A Skyrim NPC has a preprogrammed spot, or a preprogrammed route. You do not need to track Its location, you don't need to make it act according to personality, you don't need to hold in memory its genetics, nor its family members, nor its inventory.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    And no, TS, even TS2 isn't incredibly complicated. The life simulating aspects of it would be the easiest parts of the game. The games mentioned above like Skyrim do all that and so much more. In fact a generic npc from a game like Skyrim is probably far more complicated than your average sim.

    have you tried programming? A Skyrim NPC has a preprogrammed spot, or a preprogrammed route. You do not need to track Its location, you don't need to make it act according to personality, you don't need to hold in memory its genetics, nor its family members, nor its inventory.

    "I work for Belethor, at the General Goods Store!"

    Speaking of disappointing, generic, forgettable game titles... :'(
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    edited October 2016
    mirta000 wrote: »
    post with my video got taken down, because the video contained profanity. Anyone that wants to watch it, just go to my channel. :I

    That's alright. I just got my second warning for "casting aspersions" in this thread. I forgot this isn't the ModtheSims forum and even the slightest bit of criticism at individual members of the staff is erased like a child trying to hide a bad grade from their parents :|

    That's gonna be my cue to just shut up and go back to lurking here. I'll say anything worth saying on other forums.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    teaa5 wrote: »
    I'm so tired of hearing how limited the engine is and how hard everything is to make. If this is the best they can do with it, I say scrap it and move to sims 5 with a new and better engine because ts4 is a joke.

    The scariest thing.. they could make sims 5 even worse than sims 4... with more limitations...

    Honestly after thinking about it, I seriously doubt we are going to have a TS5. Thinking about the "cashing out" discussion it seems like after the online concept for TS4 bombed out on them they decided to just slash the development budget to bare bones levels and released the game just to recoup their losses. Now all EP development is just icing on the cake to them. It really feels like EA is just done with The Sims.
    This is what I got from it too, that they are just riding the train to the trainstop and then it will be over. Especially after the comment about not every game continue to be updated after release, I got the sense that they are just spreading icing. Funny thing is they released an unfinished game, and by admitting they didn't want to shoehorn in features and other comments like it, they admitted as much themselves. I find it weird that they would consider all this game content of packs and other updates to be 'bonus'. As if all those previous years of the Sims franchise never happened. As with any brand, after a while there's an established 'contract' between customer and brand, encompassing what the brand entails and the quality of the product. Speculation: No company can suddenly significantly lower the standards of the brand product without bordering on the line of fraudulence. And a company can't sell something as one thing, while it being something else entirely. I'm not saying EA has done this with the Sims franchise; you be the judge.



    Allons-y!

    ---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • CreoleSimCreoleSim Posts: 334 Member
    What kills me is, they Built this plum engine from the ground up, but everything is too hard? If your base was intact and built like it was supposed to be, adding all these things would be nothing. They are so full of it....
    8zjsc9.png
    Origin@ Simday1
  • DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    And no, TS, even TS2 isn't incredibly complicated. The life simulating aspects of it would be the easiest parts of the game. The games mentioned above like Skyrim do all that and so much more. In fact a generic npc from a game like Skyrim is probably far more complicated than your average sim.

    have you tried programming? A Skyrim NPC has a preprogrammed spot, or a preprogrammed route. You do not need to track Its location, you don't need to make it act according to personality, you don't need to hold in memory its genetics, nor its family members, nor its inventory.

    I've actually been in software design my whole professional life so yeah, even if it isn't in the gaming industry.

    I've also done quite a bit of Skyrim mod'ing. Creating npc's can be as simple or complicated as you want actually, but most have built in schedules, ai packages, and dialogue that can get quite complicated. Especially for the more involved and story relevant npc's. And yes, all of that data gets tracked by the game, even when your character is on the other side of the game world.

    All sims characters seem to react to the world around them based off the same algorithm where what they do is just weighted by their traits and/or current emotions to determine which object they interact with. That's why they all act the same. They are just dropped into the game world randomly and path around, interacting with nearby objects. That's it. Their personalities are pretty simple, and in TS4's case barely existent. As far as storing memories, etc., that's just simple data. There isn't any complexity there.

    You also don't have all the other systems on top of that other games would have like crafting, questing, inventory, and combat systems. Even graphically the game is pretty reserved which would further make development simpler.

    As far as AAA game development goes I would wager that The Sims is pretty cheap compared to the vast majority of games out there.
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    CreoleSim wrote: »
    What kills me is, they Built this plum engine from the ground up, but everything is too hard? If your base was intact and built like it was supposed to be, adding all these things would be nothing. They are so full of it....

    They made an online game from ground up.
    giphy_1.gif
  • MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    I blame Sims Olympus.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top