We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
February 23rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Apparently they couldn't be bothered ...

Comments

  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Disrespectful to long time players as always.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,858 Member
    edited October 2016
    Sounds to me like the game is incredibly difficult to develop, maybe engine wise or what, I'm not sure. I'm not a tech person. But I see all these things that basically amount to "too much money, too much time, we can't do this or that, yadda yadda" and it's now also been confirmed that EPS are going to be a yearly cycle thing, in the Grant "interview". So we get EPS that take twice as long to produce, and it's still too much of a time/money/work constraint to put in things that worked in Sims 2/3 (where we got 2 EPS a year)? I'm sorry, I know the developers mean well and are doing the best they can with the game as it is, but the game engine is a mess. They're working with a pile of plum instead of coal. At least with coal you get diamonds with enough pressure. With plum you just get a nasty mess.

    FWIW I'm still going to buy CL because of all the cultural additions, but on sale, not at release. It needs to be at least 50% off for me to feel okay with purchasing it at this point. Since what they're giving us is essentially 50% of what they were able to do in past games.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Spending effort in a talking toilet is ok for them. A working elevator and buildable apartment buildings, what should be important points in this expansion: they didn't care about. Festivals: much of it is about doing the same things outside... The choices (the dev team is making) are the worst possible. :/
    Spending effort in a talking toilet is ok for them. A working elevator and buildable apartment buildings, what should be important points in this expansion: they didn't care about. Festivals: much of it is about doing the same things outside... The choices (the dev team is making) are the worst possible. :/

    Devs must be really lonely animating a talking toilet instead of giving us a functional elevator.
    I would sincerely wish I could spy on one of their meetings when they are deciding what to add and what is not necessary for a future dlc. I imagine it being something like that:

    Simguru1- The thing that can't be missing from an apartments kind of EP is an elevator!

    Simguru2- Nah...too obvious, who would want a functioning elevator? I have a better idea! How about a talking toilet?

    Simguru3, Simguru4, and Simguru5: YAY! THAT'S HILARIOUS! Let's make the elevator just an illusion and focus on a talking toilet! They are going to love it!!!

    You know you sound like this:

    "Why aren't there more music in the game? Can't the animators make more?"

    A Talking Toilet is FX. It would have literally taken two hours for them to add some effects to an already existing object.
    Creating a new hairstyle would take more time.

    Some of you should at least be informed before you start throwing hate. Sure, an Elevator would have been nice. But the FX team isn't going to make it.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @jcp011c2 wrote: »
    Sounds to me like the game is incredibly difficult to develop, maybe engine wise or what, I'm not sure. I'm not a tech person. But I see all these things that basically amount to "too much money, too much time, we can't do this or that, yadda yadda" and it's now also been confirmed that EPS are going to be a yearly cycle thing, in the Grant "interview". So we get EPS that take twice as long to produce, and it's still too much of a time/money/work constraint to put in things that worked in Sims 2/3 (where we got 2 EPS a year)? I'm sorry, I know the developers mean well and are doing the best they can with the game as it is, but the game engine is a mess. They're working with a pile of plum instead of coal. At least with coal you get diamonds with enough pressure. With plum you just get a nasty mess.

    FWIW I'm still going to buy CL because of all the cultural additions, but on sale, not at release. It needs to be at least 50% off for me to feel okay with purchasing it at this point. Since what they're giving us is essentially 50% of what they were able to do in past games.

    But seriously though, this has been the case since the early days. It's known EA doesn't spend much on The Sims.
    They cut several features from The Sims 2 for being "too hard" or "too expensive" and no batted an eyelid because it was it's prime and no one knew better.

    Weather, University, Cars, Celebrities etc. were all advertised for The Sims 2 base game and CUT even though they were confirmed due to budget.

    You know, they said Weather was cancelled because they couldn't stop it raining inside. So? Patch it in when the figure it out. Urbz was already in development and had managed just fine with keeping rain outdoors. It was just because they didn't have the budget to continue it.

    Cars? Bustin Out had Cars. Add them for free as a download. They'd take up a few MB. But nope.

    Uni? Couldn't finish it, make it an EP.

    Celebrities? Too hard and expensive, cut in favour for a cheaper alternative. They didn't even bother adding it back in.

    The Sims has had a history of cut features. Car Animations in The Sims 3? (later added on the store)
    Rabbit Holes? (later replaced on the store as actual venues).

    I could go on. The Sims 4 not having Cars/Subways is hardly as big as the majority of your Community Lots being replaced as Rabbit Holes and resold to you at $20 each. Or having a main gameplay aspect promised to you, only for them to make it locked away for another $40 just because they didn't finish it.

    Let's not act like The Sims 4 is the game to have things cut in favour for others.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Spending effort in a talking toilet is ok for them. A working elevator and buildable apartment buildings, what should be important points in this expansion: they didn't care about. Festivals: much of it is about doing the same things outside... The choices (the dev team is making) are the worst possible. :/
    Spending effort in a talking toilet is ok for them. A working elevator and buildable apartment buildings, what should be important points in this expansion: they didn't care about. Festivals: much of it is about doing the same things outside... The choices (the dev team is making) are the worst possible. :/

    Devs must be really lonely animating a talking toilet instead of giving us a functional elevator.
    I would sincerely wish I could spy on one of their meetings when they are deciding what to add and what is not necessary for a future dlc. I imagine it being something like that:

    Simguru1- The thing that can't be missing from an apartments kind of EP is an elevator!

    Simguru2- Nah...too obvious, who would want a functioning elevator? I have a better idea! How about a talking toilet?

    Simguru3, Simguru4, and Simguru5: YAY! THAT'S HILARIOUS! Let's make the elevator just an illusion and focus on a talking toilet! They are going to love it!!!

    You know you sound like this:

    "Why aren't there more music in the game? Can't the animators make more?"

    A Talking Toilet is FX. It would have literally taken two hours for them to add some effects to an already existing object.
    Creating a new hairstyle would take more time.

    Some of you should at least be informed before you start throwing hate. Sure, an Elevator would have been nice. But the FX team isn't going to make it.

    I was making a joke, not "throwing hate". Chill out!
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    But seriously though, this has been the case since the early days. It's known EA doesn't spend much on The Sims.
    They cut several features from The Sims 2 for being "too hard" or "too expensive" and no batted an eyelid because it was it's prime and no one knew better.

    Weather, University, Cars, Celebrities etc. were all advertised for The Sims 2 base game and CUT even though they were confirmed due to budget.

    You know, they said Weather was cancelled because they couldn't stop it raining inside. So? Patch it in when the figure it out. Urbz was already in development and had managed just fine with keeping rain outdoors. It was just because they didn't have the budget to continue it.

    Cars? Bustin Out had Cars. Add them for free as a download. They'd take up a few MB. But nope.

    Uni? Couldn't finish it, make it an EP.

    the difference is that they didn't have enough budget to put it into the base game. They went back to it, they put in more work and released it as quality EPs.

    And yes, we did see it start going downhill on TS3. The only exception is that TS3 had strong pluses to compensate and explain the lack of time (aka open world for example). There's also a difference in what we lost. Losing a grocery store/ clothing store in the base game is one thing (TS4 doesn't have those either and what was a rabbit hole in TS3 and wasn't in TS4 we payed extra for (Spa Day/ Dine Out)), but losing an elevator with animations, when other features such as building apartments were cut, when they had twice the time of TS3 EP team... Really?

  • florathornsflorathorns Posts: 41 Member
    When did, oh I don't know, ANY of the TS4 customer base ASK for a talking toilet!?
    None. N/A. 0. Nada. Noone ever did.

    When did the Customer base ask for elevators in TS4?
    When the Sims 3 got elevators.

    That alone being said, this EP needs to be boycotted.

    ALL IN FAVOR OF NOT BUYING THIS $40 INCOMPLETE EXPANSION SAY YES GAWD!
    ztmv1whwwkmxf9ta8sxm1dsbofm6vknaw8ux35dkmz8s6rj75aar0unludlcqxm8.jpg

    ♡ Team Aja ♡
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Arletta wrote: »
    Going to point out once and once only, because it's not worth the fighting, that 'blame the customer' is not new. Also it wasn't so much that they couldn't be bothered as budget wouldn't allow.

    How it being not new makes it any better?
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I'd have to play CL to see if teleporting to the top/bottom floor annoys me because sims getting stuck at the elevator was extremely annoying. Especially when my sim tried to hurry and hit the hot spots but was stuck with everyone else.

    Because sims in sims4 can clip through each other without getting stuck behind sims or objects, elevators would have worked better for them this time.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @jcp011c2 wrote: »
    Sounds to me like the game is incredibly difficult to develop, maybe engine wise or what, I'm not sure. I'm not a tech person. But I see all these things that basically amount to "too much money, too much time, we can't do this or that, yadda yadda" and it's now also been confirmed that EPS are going to be a yearly cycle thing, in the Grant "interview". So we get EPS that take twice as long to produce, and it's still too much of a time/money/work constraint to put in things that worked in Sims 2/3 (where we got 2 EPS a year)? I'm sorry, I know the developers mean well and are doing the best they can with the game as it is, but the game engine is a mess. They're working with a pile of plum instead of coal. At least with coal you get diamonds with enough pressure. With plum you just get a nasty mess.

    FWIW I'm still going to buy CL because of all the cultural additions, but on sale, not at release. It needs to be at least 50% off for me to feel okay with purchasing it at this point. Since what they're giving us is essentially 50% of what they were able to do in past games.

    But seriously though, this has been the case since the early days. It's known EA doesn't spend much on The Sims.
    They cut several features from The Sims 2 for being "too hard" or "too expensive" and no batted an eyelid because it was it's prime and no one knew better.

    Weather, University, Cars, Celebrities etc. were all advertised for The Sims 2 base game and CUT even though they were confirmed due to budget.

    You know, they said Weather was cancelled because they couldn't stop it raining inside. So? Patch it in when the figure it out. Urbz was already in development and had managed just fine with keeping rain outdoors. It was just because they didn't have the budget to continue it.

    Cars? Bustin Out had Cars. Add them for free as a download. They'd take up a few MB. But nope.

    Uni? Couldn't finish it, make it an EP.

    Celebrities? Too hard and expensive, cut in favour for a cheaper alternative. They didn't even bother adding it back in.

    The Sims has had a history of cut features. Car Animations in The Sims 3? (later added on the store)
    Rabbit Holes? (later replaced on the store as actual venues).

    I could go on. The Sims 4 not having Cars/Subways is hardly as big as the majority of your Community Lots being replaced as Rabbit Holes and resold to you at $20 each. Or having a main gameplay aspect promised to you, only for them to make it locked away for another $40 just because they didn't finish it.

    Let's not act like The Sims 4 is the game to have things cut in favour for others.

    Can we PLEASE stop using past games short comings as an excuse to allow even more? What are you defending this behaviour for? Are you being paid by EA?

    He/she's not paid by EA. He/she just said the truth.

  • lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    Why couldn't they just say cars/taxis/school bus/subways don't match the travelling feature in the game? No need to further confuse our poor minds.
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited October 2016
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Arletta wrote: »
    Going to point out once and once only, because it's not worth the fighting, that 'blame the customer' is not new. Also it wasn't so much that they couldn't be bothered as budget wouldn't allow.

    How it being not new makes it any better?

    I didn't say it was any better, just not new. One has to question the point of asking why something isn't present. There is logically only two answers they can feasibly give that doesn't make them become creative with the answer (and end up with threads like this). Those are

    a) We decided to put our focus on x instead of y. We may give attention to y another time. (cue uproar on forums)

    OR

    b) We have a limited budget and decided not to focus it on x. X didn't seem fun (cue uproar on forums)

    Then, of course, they get bored of the above and get creative with their answers, causing situations such as this. I don't think they've given a good interview yet tbh. Or certainly not one where they haven't offended somebody.

  • teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I made a plum short video on this, essentially saying that it looks like they think that we're plum and that one should not support a company that talks to their customers like this.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWmOJFrTKtY

    Awesome video
    Thank you for sharing it.

    The answer is already there in the article regarding toddlers and many other features.
    If they cannot make simple elevator animations due to CHEAP budget, do you think they will do toddlers animation?? Nope

    I am not buying anything from them. They just don't deserve even one cent.

    This game was planned to be on a cheap poor low budget right from the beginning. As you said, they think players are plum

    Agree and after reading the article I feel really disrespected as a customer. :(
    00.jpg


    Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    I'm so tired of hearing how limited the engine is and how hard everything is to make. If this is the best they can do with it, I say scrap it and move to sims 5 with a new and better engine because ts4 is a joke.

    The scariest thing.. they could make sims 5 even worse than sims 4... with more limitations...
    00.jpg


    Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    I'm so tired of hearing how limited the engine is and how hard everything is to make. If this is the best they can do with it, I say scrap it and move to sims 5 with a new and better engine because ts4 is a joke.

    Not just the engine. Don't forget the budget too. Budget is extremely limited. There is no money.
    Limited budget = limited game play

    I think it is very clear why they keep releasing endless stuff packs.
    Everything is very obvious
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Spending effort in a talking toilet is ok for them. A working elevator and buildable apartment buildings, what should be important points in this expansion: they didn't care about. Festivals: much of it is about doing the same things outside... The choices (the dev team is making) are the worst possible. :/
    Spending effort in a talking toilet is ok for them. A working elevator and buildable apartment buildings, what should be important points in this expansion: they didn't care about. Festivals: much of it is about doing the same things outside... The choices (the dev team is making) are the worst possible. :/

    Devs must be really lonely animating a talking toilet instead of giving us a functional elevator.
    I would sincerely wish I could spy on one of their meetings when they are deciding what to add and what is not necessary for a future dlc. I imagine it being something like that:

    Simguru1- The thing that can't be missing from an apartments kind of EP is an elevator!

    Simguru2- Nah...too obvious, who would want a functioning elevator? I have a better idea! How about a talking toilet?

    Simguru3, Simguru4, and Simguru5: YAY! THAT'S HILARIOUS! Let's make the elevator just an illusion and focus on a talking toilet! They are going to love it!!!

    You know you sound like this:

    "Why aren't there more music in the game? Can't the animators make more?"

    A Talking Toilet is FX. It would have literally taken two hours for them to add some effects to an already existing object.
    Creating a new hairstyle would take more time.

    Some of you should at least be informed before you start throwing hate. Sure, an Elevator would have been nice. But the FX team isn't going to make it.

    I was making a joke, not "throwing hate". Chill out!

    You can't complain in one post that EA is disrespecting players and in the very next post disrespect them and call it a joke.

    What Grant said was an unintentional slight at best. However, unhappy players like you have called the devs lazy, uncaring, deaf, greedy and countless other direct insults that you think they deserve because you are the all mighty customer and you had better get what you want or else! Or else what? You won't buy it or any pack after this one? Fine, don't. Your money won't be missed. And no, there aren't enough angry players who will hold out their money to make even the smallest of dents. You all may be vocal and bothersome but you are few. Get over yourselves.
  • SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    I'm sorry but what?? They had the budget for a talking toilet but couldn't give us functional elevators?
  • DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    teaa5 wrote: »
    I'm so tired of hearing how limited the engine is and how hard everything is to make. If this is the best they can do with it, I say scrap it and move to sims 5 with a new and better engine because ts4 is a joke.

    The scariest thing.. they could make sims 5 even worse than sims 4... with more limitations...

    Honestly after thinking about it, I seriously doubt we are going to have a TS5. Thinking about the "cashing out" discussion it seems like after the online concept for TS4 bombed out on them they decided to just slash the development budget to bare bones levels and released the game just to recoup their losses. Now all EP development is just icing on the cake to them. It really feels like EA is just done with The Sims.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited October 2016
    I watched the live stream, and one thing that struck me was how much Grant (was that Grant?) loved the bear from Outdoor Retreat. I haven't seen too much fan feedback about it, especially not positive fan feedback, but that may have been about the bug where if someone ever wore the outfit, they gave sims around them the unbearable moodlet. But he loved it so much, they added a huge raccoon outfit. Why? I could see if there was an overwhelming positive reaction to these costumes, but most people I think would prefer another outfit or two.

    What I did like is they added grunge. Finally.
  • teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    edited October 2016
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    teaa5 wrote: »
    I'm so tired of hearing how limited the engine is and how hard everything is to make. If this is the best they can do with it, I say scrap it and move to sims 5 with a new and better engine because ts4 is a joke.

    The scariest thing.. they could make sims 5 even worse than sims 4... with more limitations...

    Honestly after thinking about it, I seriously doubt we are going to have a TS5. Thinking about the "cashing out" discussion it seems like after the online concept for TS4 bombed out on them they decided to just slash the development budget to bare bones levels and released the game just to recoup their losses. Now all EP development is just icing on the cake to them. It really feels like EA is just done with The Sims.

    You know what... I do agree with you. Now I am thinking about that interview with EA CEO... I was really confused about his future games vision and you are right.. they might want to take as much profit as they can from sims 4 with the lowest budget and then move on from sims completely. That would explain a lot. All the shifting and silence and the way they treat customers. It's like a slowly dying game . I saw that happening with other games and then they were closed for good.
    Post edited by teaa5 on
    00.jpg


    Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    teaa5 wrote: »
    I'm so tired of hearing how limited the engine is and how hard everything is to make. If this is the best they can do with it, I say scrap it and move to sims 5 with a new and better engine because ts4 is a joke.

    The scariest thing.. they could make sims 5 even worse than sims 4... with more limitations...

    Honestly after thinking about it, I seriously doubt we are going to have a TS5. Thinking about the "cashing out" discussion it seems like after the online concept for TS4 bombed out on them they decided to just slash the development budget to bare bones levels and released the game just to recoup their losses. Now all EP development is just icing on the cake to them. It really feels like EA is just done with The Sims.

    I hope this will be the last sims game. I just hope once they stop some other company will step in and give us THE Life simulation that all the fans have been asking for.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top